2009 Kawasaki Ninja 500R
Back to 2009 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 500R
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 500R
Exciting two-wheel fun, practical two-wheel efficiency
Practicality is the Kawasaki’s Ninja® 500R’s biggest asset as it strikes an ideal balance between function, form and budget that’s rarely achieved in the sport bike world. A sensible sportbike, the 500R is ready to rip, yet remains friendly enough for beginners to feel confident in its manners.
At the heart of this excellent platform is the Ninja 500R’s 498cc liquid-cooled, parallel twin-cylinder four-stroke engine. With dual overhead cams and four valves per cylinder, the robust motor is both beginner-friendly and rousing to expert riders. No slouch, this half-liter engine has enough gusto to let novices expand their skills and keep even the most seasoned riders quite happy exploring the upper end of its rev range.
Letting the high-performance engine live to its full potential is a lightweight and compact design. One of the major selling points for the Ninja 500R is its great-handling enabled by its large-diameter 37mm fork tubes and UNI-TRAK® rear suspension system utilizing a progressive linkage similar to the larger-displacement Ninja models. With the motor and chassis combo, the bike begs to be taken out on twisty back roads.
And the Ninja 500R also shares the same sporty styling of its bigger siblings, with an aerodynamic half-fairing that provides wind protection for the rider and is stylishly complemented by a lower fairing.
Authentic Kawasaki Accessories are available through Kawasaki dealers.
Liquid Cooled Twin-cylinder 498cc Engine
– Compact parallel-twin design
– Superior engineering produces sport bike power with broad usable torque
– Good mass centralization for superior handling
– Liquid cooling provides consistent engine temperatures and allows closer engine tolerances for more horsepower and long engine life
– Auxiliary cooling fan maintains optimum temperature for best performance, fuel economy and reliability
Four Valves per Cylinder
– Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow
– Better flow for more power at high rpm and strong low-end torque
– Compact combustion chamber for increased compression ratio without detonation on today’s gasolines
34mm CVK Semi-flat Slide Carburetors
– Precise fuel metering provides uniform power delivery at all engine speeds
– Quick throttle response
– Microprocessor-controlled timing never needs adjustment
– Ultra-responsive to engine needs
– Translates into a gear for all speeds, excellent acceleration and relaxed highway cruising
– Has a Kawasaki exclusive, the Positive Neutral Finder, which means riders can find neutral easily, every time at a stop with just a lift of the shift pedal from first gear
Standard Half Fairing
– Offers rider wind protection for more comfort
– Incorporates large, easy-to-read instruments with two resettable trip meters
– Stylish lower fairing completes the Ninja® image
Double-cradle Steel Box-section Frame
– High-tensile steel perimeter frame
– Lightweight, with superior rigidity for more precise handling and better control
37mm Front Fork
– Large-diameter fork tubes with thin walls for light weight and exceptional rigidity
Bottom-link UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension
– Progressive rate provides a smoother, more controlled ride
– Lightweight aluminum components provide quick suspension response
– Lower center of gravity for better handling
– Wide, modern 17-inch rims fit low-profile, high-performance tires
Front Disc Brake
– Disc is drilled for better cooling and reduced unsprung weight
– Dual-piston caliper for increased braking effectiveness
Rear Disc Brake
– Powerful and controllable
– Single-piston caliper
Sidestand and Centerstand
– Sidestand permits easy parking, while centerstand makes for easy cleaning or servicing
– Affordable suggested retail price
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 500R – USA Specifications
Engine: Four-stroke, DOHC, parallel twin
Bore x stroke: 74.0 x 58.0mm
Compression ratio: 10.8:1
Carburetion: Keihin CVK34 x 2
Ignition: TCBI with digital advance
Final drive: Chain
Frame: High-tensile steel, perimeter design
Rake / trail: 27 degrees / 3.6 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 37mm hydraulic telescopic fork / 5.1 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: UNI-TRAK® system with single shock / 3.9 in.
Front tire: 110/70×17 tubeless
Rear tire: 130/70×17 tubeless
Front brake / rear brake: Hydraulic disc / Disc
Overall length: 82.5 in.
Overall width: 27.6 in.
Overall height: 45.7 in.
Ground clearance: 4.7 in.
Seat height: 30.5 in.
Curb weight: 434.4 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 4.8 gal.
Wheelbase: 56.5 in.
Color: Metallic Diablo Black
Candy Plasma Blue
Wholesale distributor: Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
9950 Jeronimo Road
Irvine, California 92618
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 500R – Canada Specifications
Type 4-stroke Parallel Twin
Displacement 498 cc
Bore and Stroke 74.0 x 58.0 mm
Compression Ratio 10.8:1
Valve System DOHC, 8 valves
Carburetion CVK 34 mm x 2 (Keihin)
Ignition Digital, with anti hotwire circuit
Lubrication Forced lubrication, wet sump
Transmission 6-speed, return, positive neutral finder
Clutch Wet multi-disc, cable operation
Final Drive Sealed Chain
Primary Reduction Ratio 2.652 (61/23)
Gear Ratios: 1st 2.571 (36/154)
2nd 1.777 (32/18)
3rd 1.380 (29/21)
4th 1.125 (27/24)
5th 0.961 (25/26)
6th 0.851 (23/27)
Final Reduction Ratio 2.562 (41/16)
Type Perimeter, box section high-tensile steel
Wheel Travel: Front 130 mm
Wheel Travel: Rear 100 mm
Tires: Front 110/70-17 (54H)
Tires: Rear 130/70-17 (62H)
Caster (Rake) 27°
Trail 91 mm
Front 37 mm telescopic fork
Rear Uni-trak with stepped spring preload adjustability
Front Single, semi-floating drilled disc
Front Calipers Single, BAC, 2-piston, pin-slide mount
Rear Single drilled disc
Rear Caliper Single-piston, pin-slide mount
Overall Length 2095 mm
Overall Width 700 mm
Overall Height 1160 mm
Wheelbase 1435 mm
Seat Height 775 mm
Dry Weight 176 kg
Fuel Capacity 18 litres
Colour Candy Plasma Blue
Warranty 12 months
Good Times Protection Plan 24 or 36 months (Kawasaki GTPP coverage begins after standard limited warranty expires)
*Prices and specifications subject to change without notice.