Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2011 Kawasaki KX 85
2011 Kawasaki KX 85
The Serious Mini-Motocrosser for the Serious Young Racer
For decades, the 85cc-class mini-motocrosser has been the training crucible for the world’s best racers, and Kawasaki’s KX™85 has been at the forefront for much of that time. The level of technology, power and berm-busting capability packed into this 152-pound rocketship is mind-boggling, and the way it can tear up a motocross track in an expert’s hands must be seen to be believed. It’s nothing short of a youth motocrosser’s dream machine.
Powered by a liquid-cooled, two-stroke, single-cylinder 84cc engine that generates race-winning power right out of the box, the KX85 is literally packed with high-tech, race-proven features. Top of the list is an advanced chassis package headlined by a 36mm inverted cartridge fork assembly featuring 18-way compression damping adjustability and internal settings designed to tame the nastiest, whoop-infested racetracks. In back, the proven UNI-TRAK® single-shock suspension system, which features fully adjustable spring preload, compression and rebound damping, keeps the rear wheel in control and driving hard.
Surrounding all that suspension goodness is a black-painted, high-tensile steel perimeter frame with a specially designed fuel tank sitting inside the cage to keep the fuel load and, thusly, the center of mass as low as possible for improved handling. All this is wrapped in lime green body panels, with lightweight black aluminum wheels and aggressive graphics. The end result is a factory-look racer with factory-like performance.
The engine bay features some factory-like tricks of its own, including an electrofusion-coated cylinder with a narrow squish band, a large-volume combustion chamber to boost top-end power, and a 28mm Keihin carburetor featuring a crescent-shaped slide that positions the needle closer to the intake ports, optimizing fuel atomization and delivering smoother fuel delivery throughout the powerband. Further enhancing the KX85’s tractable power are the Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve System (KIPS®) and tuned exhaust pipe that provides better drive out of corners and a linear power delivery for young riders of varying skill levels.
The KX85’s six-speed transmission delivers smooth and positive shifting along with enhanced durability thanks to hard chrome-finished shift fork ends, a thick base on the clutch basket housing and an additional bushing on the input shaft.
Those who race their KX85 at designated events are eligible to receive support from Team Green™, Kawasaki’s amateur racing support program. Each year, Team Green provides regional support vehicles and highly trained technicians at more than 100 events throughout the United States, offering technical information and assistance to those who race Kawasaki products. Kawasaki also offers a comprehensive contingency program for amateur and professional riders who place well at designated events.
Kawasaki KX 85 model Highlights
Details & Features
Liquid-cooled, Two-stroke, Single-cylinder 84cc Engine
– Lightweight Electrofusion-coated cylinder improves heat transfer while resisting abrasion and seizure
– Intake and exhaust port bridges are machine-finished for reduced wear and improved reliability
– Liquid-cooling means even-running temperatures and consistent power output
– Rotor comes with rare-earth magnets; the unitized piece is small, light and more efficient; low inertial moment improves low-rpm response
– Connecting rod big-end bearing has more rigid cage for improved durability
– Intake port shape and cylinder skirt allow cooling air into the crankcase chamber
– Primary gear is secured using a lock-nut to help reduce mechanical noise
– Metafoam gaskets for the generator and water pump covers improve sealing
Kawasaki Integrated Power Valve System (KIPS®)
– KIPS system varies exhaust-port height for increased horsepower and torque at all rpm
– Produces a broad powerband with more low-end torque and mid-range, while retaining excellent top-end power
– Breather in KIPS cover improves high-rpm and overrun performance
– Large right-side cutout improves airflow for increased power
– Reusable foam air filter
28mm Keihin PWK carburetor
– Large crescent slide positions the needle closer to intake ports for ideal fuel atomization, providing quicker throttle response and a smoother power delivery
– Carburetor adjustable for various conditions
– Thick-base clutch hub rides on needle bearings for smooth action
– Large, 119mm clutch plates add durability and control
– Clutch-release lever ratio is designed for light clutch lever action
– Clutch plate service cover simplifies maintenance and utilizes a metal-carbon composite gasket
– Features large-diameter O-ring and groove on exhaust pipe for improved durability and easy installation
– Aluminum silencer is re-packable like larger KX models
– Positive shifting action and rugged durability
– Fifth and sixth gears ride on bushings for added reliability
– Shift forks are hard chrome-finished to resist wear and seizing
– Convenient oil-level window offers easy level checks
– Bushings on the second, third and fourth gears increase durability
High-tensile Steel Perimeter Frame
– Wide, steel footpegs offer added control and strength.
– Thick footpeg-mount brackets withstand today’s rigorous tracks
– Engine and chassis bolts feature rust-resistant coating
– Fuel tank design lowers center of gravity for improved handling
UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension
– Swingarm uses large cross-section beams for improved rigidity and control
– Cast-aluminum drive chain adjuster sections allow easy chain adjustments
– Shock is fully adjustable for compression and rebound damping and spring preload
36mm Inverted Cartridge Fork
– Inverted fork is rigid, providing better steering response and control
– Compression damping is 18-way adjustable
– Aluminum upper fork tubes measure 49.5mm in diameter for flex-free performance
Front and Rear Disc Brakes
– Front brake lever shape offers optimum feel
– Forged-aluminum rear brake pedal is strong, lightweight and features two seals at the pivot for smooth operation and increased durability
– Provide strong braking power with minimal effort
Front and Rear Wheels
– Black-coated lightweight aluminum rims offer a factory look
– Rear hub features two bearings on the drive side for added durability
– Large rear-axle diameter for optimum rigidity
– Aggressive Kawasaki graphics complement the black frame and wheels
Key Kawasaki KX 85 Technology
Quick revving, liquid cooled engine.
Kawasaki Integrated Power Valve System (KIPS) varies exhaust port height for increased horsepower and torque throughout the rev range.
Breather added to KIPS cover relieves exhaust pressure for more precise KIPS valve action contributing to improved high-rpm and overrun performance.
Electrofusion coating on the aluminum cylinder provides rapid heat transfer, superb wear resistance and optimum lubrication retention for increased performance and durability.
Keihin PWK28 carburetor features a crescent shaped slide that enables the needle to sit closer to the intake ports for quick throttle response.
Carbon fibre reeds aid throttle response. The carbon fiber weave of the reed valves is 45 degrees to the intake tract so that the reed is more flexible and correspondingly more responsive at lower rpm.
The right side of the airbox is cut back to increase airflow and draw air from behind the number plate as well as below the seat.
Digital Capacitor Discharge Ignition (CDI) precisely controls timing, no matter how fast the rpm changes.
Lighter magneto rotor uses powerful neodium (rare-earth) magnets to lower inertial moment from 6.3 kg/cm2 to 4.0 kg/cm2 which improves low-rpm response.
Tough 6-speed transmission has bushings added to 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears on the output shaft for increased durability. Fifth and 6th gears on the transmission input shaft also ride on bushings.
The ends of the shift forks are hard-chrome finished for durability.
Thick base at the clutch housing fingers for increased durability.
The right hand engine cover provides a separate clutch cover for quick servicing at the track without removing the water pump.
Single radiator mounted on the right side keeps the engine cool during long motos.
High Tensile Steel Perimeter Frame combines narrow dimensions, steep rake angle and high rigidity for quick handling without sacrificing straight-line ability.
Bolt on tail section eases repairs and maintenance.
36mm inverted cartridge fork provides a progressive ride to better resist bottoming and fit larger and more aggressive riders.
Inverted forks are more rigid to provide better steering response and control.
Fork compression damping is 18-click adjustable and the cartridge design means better action.
The aluminum upper fork tubes measure 49.5mm in diameter for flex free performance.
Uni-Trak rear suspension settings provide a progressive ride to better resist bottoming and accommodate larger, more aggressive riders.
Fully adjustable rear shock spring preload, 4-click compression damping, and 16-click rebound damping allows the suspension to be tuned for specific conditions.
Mono-tone seat cover uses a high-grip top and smooth sides for good grip when sitting and high mobility when riding on the pegs.
Hydraulic front and rear disc brakes feature drilled discs for light weight.
2011 Kawasaki KX 85 – USA Specifications
MSRP: $3,899 USD
Two-stroke single with KIPS®
Bore x Stroke: 48.5 x 45.8mm
Cooling System: Liquid
Carburetion: Keihin PWK28
Induction: Crankcase reed valve
Compression ratio: 10.0: 1 (low speed) – 9.2: 1 (high speed)
Ignition: Digital CDI
Final drive: Chain
Frame Type: High-tensile steel perimeter design with subframe member
Rake/Trail: 27 degrees / 3.5 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 36mm inverted telescopic cartridge fork with 18-way compression damping / 10.8 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: UNI-TRAK® single-shock system with 4-way compression and 16-way rebound damping, plus adjustable spring preload / 10.8 in.
Front Tire Size: 70/100×17
Rear Tire Size: 90/100×14
Front brakes / rear brakes: Hydraulic disc / Disc
Overall length: 71.7 in.
Overall width: 28.9 in.
Overall height: 41.5 in.
Ground clearance: 13.4 in.
Seat height: 33.1 in.
Curb weight: 152.1 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 1.5 gal.
Wheelbase: 49.4 in.
Color Choices: Lime Green
2011 Kawasaki KX 85 – Canada Specifications
MSRP: $TBA CDN
Type Liquid cooled, 2-stroke Single with KIPS
Displacement 84 cc
Bore and Stroke 48.5 x 45.8 mm
Compression Ratio 10.0:1 (low speed); 9.2:1 (high speed)
Carburetor Keihin PWK28
Induction 2-petal carbon-fibre piston reed valve
Ignition Digital CDI
Lubrication Pre-mix (32:1), 2-stroke racing oil
Transmission 6-speed, return
Primary Drive Gear
Final Drive Chain
Primary Reduction Ratio 3.400 (68/20)
Gear Ratios: 1st 2.538 (33/13)
2nd 1.875 (30/16)
3rd 1.500 (27/18)
4th 1.250 (25/20)
5th 1.090 (24/22)
6th 0.956 (22/23)
Final Reduction Ratio 3.571 (50/14)
Clutch Wet multi-disc, manual
Type High-tensile steel perimeter with bolt-on steel rear section
Suspension: Front 36 mm inverted telescopic fork, 18-click compression
Rear Uni-Trak with fully adjustable preload, 4-click compression and 16-click rebound damping
Wheel Travel: (Front,Rear) 275 mm, 275 mm
Tires: (Front, Rear) 70/100-17 40M, 90/100-14 49M
Caster (Rake) 27°
Trail 89 mm
BRAKESFront Single-piston caliper, 220 mm disc
Rear Single-piston caliper, 184 mm disc
Overall Length 1,820 mm
Overall Width 735 mm
Overall Height 1,055 mm
Wheelbase 1,255 mm
Ground Clearance 340 mm
Seat Height 840 mm
Curb Mass 69 kg (152.1 lbs)
Fuel Capacity 5.5 litres
Colour Lime Green
* The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price does not include freight, pre-delivery inspection or applicable taxes. The final price is at the discretion of the dealer. Prices and Specifications are subject to change without prior notice.
The specifications mentioned here apply to and have been achieved by production models under standard operating conditions. We intend only to give a fair description of the vehicle and its performance capabilities but these specifications may not apply to every machine supplied for sale. Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. reserves the right to alter specifications without prior notice. Equipment illustrated and specifications may vary to meet individual markets. Available colours may vary by market.