Click photos to enlarge. Our big, clean bike pics make great desktop wallpaper.
2015 Yamaha YZ250FX Review
2015 Yamaha YZ250FX on www.Totalmotorcycle.com
Race Winning YZ Performance Tuned for Cross County Racing…
The all-new 2015 Yamaha YZ250FX offers YZ250F championship winning technology in a light and powerful machine built to win cross county races: broad fuel injected power, compact bilaterial beam frame, industy leading suspension, 18″ rear wheel, wide ration 6 speed transmission and electric start, it’s the new benchmark in the 250 cross country race bikes.
The high flying, high paced action of motocross is not for everyone. As a result, the slightly less intense world of cross country / harescramble racing is experiencing solid growth and interest. Yamaha is pleased to announce the YZ250FX, a cross country focused model with the performance potential of the YZ250F. If you are serious about winning, the new YZ250FX could be the machine for you.
2015 Yamaha YZ250FX www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
•All-New for 2015 with a revolutionary rearward slanted 250cc, liquid-cooled, DOHC 4-stroke with 4 titanium valves based on the 2015 YZ250F, with an added sixth gear and wide ratio transmission, among other modifications, make it an “out-of-the-box” Hare Scrambles/GNCC® competition machine.
•Nearly the same bilateral beam frame that is found on the championship winning YZ250F is used on the FX. It places the engine and fuel tank close to the center mass of the bike for extremely light and nimble handling character.
•A Keihin 44mm throttle body fuel injection system is tuned for cross-country racing and ensures smooth throttle response and easy starting in nearly all conditions.
•Industry leading KYB® air/oil separation Speed Sensitive System forks and a KYB® rear shock suspension with settings designed specifically for cross country racing.
•With a 2.1 gallon fuel tank, 18-inch rear wheel and XC racing tires, the YZ250FX is ready to win right out of the box.
•The YZ250FX is the first YZ to feature electric start which helps reduce rider fatigue.
The YZ250FX uses the “Best in Class” YZ250F reversed cylinder, rearward slanted engine with modified fuel injection settings, electric starting and a new 6-speed transmission. With the optional GYT-R YZ Power tuner, you can adjust both fuel mapping and ignition mapping to best suit conditions and riding ability.
/// The Extras
Featuring KYB “SSS” forks and a fully adjustable KYB rear shock, the FX uses the same suspension as its MX cousin with softer settings and slightly more rear wheel travel. Also included is a lightweight aluminum side stand, an engine guard bracket and a puncture resistant 18″ rear wheel. With a maximum noise output of 94 dB, the muffler is the same as the current YZ250F.
2015 Yamaha YZ250FX www.Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
• YZ250F based, “reversed” liquid-cooled, 250cc, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), 4-stroke, single with fuel injection and electric starting. The engine has been tuned for excellent “rideability and controllability” and delivers a broad, easy to use power band with excellent power characteristics in the mid to upper rpm range.
• Rearward slanting cylinder that is “reversed” compared to traditional designs. The FI throttle body and air box are front mounted and provide a straight intake path, while the exhaust exits from the rear of the cylinder. This design is used to centralize mass for excellent handling and a light feel. The other major benefit is the straight shot intake system which maximizes power output.
• The “reversed” design allows for a straight intake path into the cylinder, providing maximum intake flow and efficiency for excellent power. The front positioned intake means that engine heat will have less “heating effect” on the incoming fuel charge (cooler fuel helps increase power). The most important benefit of this design is mass centralization which improves both handling and suspension performance.
• Electric starting backed up by a manual kick starter too. The automatic decompression system has been optimized for fast, sure starts. The unit can be started in any gear.
• There is no main switch on this model. Instead you simply push the electric start button (RHS handlebar) which then activates the entire electrical system and starts the bike. To shut down the entire electrical system, hold the kill switch (LHS handlebar) for a few seconds.
•Compact 4-valve cylinder head features a 13.5:1 compression ratio. The titanium intake valves are 31mm in diameter while the titanium exhaust valves are 25mm, with a 23.75 degree valve angle for a compact combustion chamber design. The 4-valve design offers optimum flow and excellent power.
• Lightweight titanium valves and load-reduced oval valve springs reduce reciprocating mass for less friction, faster-revving and smoother-hitting power delivery across the rev range.
• Automatic cam chain tensioner reduces maintenance while special cam chain “sliders” reduce internal frictional losses.
• WR spec light weight hollow intake and exhaust camshafts enhance this unique engine design and offer a broad power band.
• The lightweight aluminum cylinder features a ceramic composite coating applied directly to the aluminum block, eliminating the need for a liner or sleeve. The ceramic coating insures faster, more uniform heat dissipation, reduced friction and a longer service life.
• Special cylinder design features cutaways that allow the air “trapped” under the piston to enter a side chamber (or cutaway) to reduce horsepower-robbing “pumping losses.”
• The crankcase also utilizes cutaways to reduce “pumping losses”. The crankcase cutaways match the cutaways in the cylinder for maximum efficiency.
• Lightweight, short-skirt, forged aluminum piston features a single compression ring and a specially designed oil control ring that increases the surface contact area for better sealing. This 2-ring design benefits include decreased sliding resistance, reduced weight and faster throttle response.
• Piston oil cooler utilizes a pinpoint nozzle that directs oil to the desired portion of the cylinder and underside of the piston, which reduces piston, cylinder and rod temperatures for great durability.
• Lightweight gear driven counterbalancer shaft reduces vibration for improved rider comfort and less rider fatigue.
• The crankcase features a tri-axis layout for the crank, main and drive axles. This tri-axis design keeps the crankcase more compact while also centralizing mass for excellent handling. All of the shafts are positioned low in the cases to maintain a low centre of gravity.
• Lightweight YZ250F inspired crankshaft features a carburizing process for excellent durability. The crank is slightly wider than the YZ250F to accommodate the new 6-speed transmission
• All new, close ratio 6-speed transmission utilizes a 2-bar, floating shift guide system and a 14mm shift shaft. The benefit is smooth, positive shifts and excellent durability in the event of a crash. Overall, the transmission is well matched to engine output and reduces “driving force” losses.
• Heavy duty, multi-plate, (wet) clutch. Clutch features 9-friction plates.
• Quick-access, lightweight magnesium outer clutch cover for fast, easy clutch maintenance.
• 44mm Keihin throttle body fuel injection system. The 10-hole injector and 16 degree spray pattern maximizes fuel atomization for more complete combustion and excellent power delivery. The FI settings are tailored to harescramble / cross country type riding. Benefits of fuel injection include constant ongoing adjustments to insure the optimum fuel – air ratio regardless of outside air temperature and altitude. Other benefits include improved starting and improved throttle response. There is also a cold start knob which also doubles as an idle adjuster too.
• The injector spray pattern, spray direction and the distance to the intake valves have been optimized, while the specially designed forward mounted straight intake tract helps to maximize the benefits of the FI system and overall power output.
• Optional, compact, hand held “GYTR YZ Power Tuner” allows tailoring of both fuel injection settings and ignition mapping. Nine (9) different setting points can be accessed for both the FI map and the ignition map. Maps can be stored and shared with other GYTR Power Tuners if desired.
• Forward mounted air box features a “solid type”, washable, dual-stage, foam air filter which is easily accessible without removing the tank or seat.
• New, wet sump lubrication system reduces weight (since there is no oil tank), allows for more compact engine cases and eases maintenance.
• Compact, lightweight in-tank electric fuel pump.
• Maintenance-free transistor-controlled ignition (TCI) ensures fast starts and great performance at all rpms.
• High capacity generator is used to power the FI system.
• Wrap-around exhaust system exits from the rear of the engine and circles around the cylinder body before turning to the rear of the bike. This design ensures the optimum tuned header length, maximizes the exhaust “pulse effect” and centralizes mass by moving weight closer to the centre line of the bike.
• Re-packable lightweight aluminum / stainless steel muffler (aka silencer). Sound output is the same as a YZ250F… 94dBa.
• Compact, lightweight, single core, dual radiators provide outstanding cooling efficiency. The WR250F based electric cooling fan will be available as an accessory. The wiring is already in place for fast, easy fitment.
• Easy access “cartridge-type” oil filter.
• YZ250F based, compact, lightweight “Bilateral Beam” aluminum frame centralizes mass for exceptional handling and manoeuverability in tight terrain. The frame is made up of forged, cast and extruded aluminum parts providing outstanding strength, an optimum rigidity balance and shock absorbing qualities. This frame / chassis design offers excellent “rider – machine communication” (a.k.a. feedback). The engineers have optimized the balance between strength, rigidity and flex.
• Frame features mounting tabs for the optional skid plate.
• Lightweight, tapered aluminum swingarm.
• Lightweight detachable rear sub frame is constructed of square-section, lightweight aluminum pipe with no bends. The detachable design allows easy access when servicing rear suspension components.
• Adjustable handlebar holders offer a total of 4 different handlebar positions with an adjustment range of 30mm, to suit a wide variety of riders. The handlebar holders are rubber mounted for reduced vibration & improved rider comfort.
• 48mm, adjustable, inverted, Kayaba “SSS” cartridge fork offers 310mm (12.2″) of wheel travel. Valving and settings are designed for cross country / harescramble riding. Front fork adjustments include: 11-way compression damping and 11-way rebound damping. Optional fork springs are available through Genuine Yamaha parts.
• The fork features a twin-chamber, “Speed Sensitive System” design meaning the damper unit is in a separate structure (completely separated air & oil chambers) which prevents aerated fork oil from entering the inner damper assembly and reducing its damping abilities. Since the inner damper is pressurized, it also eliminates bubbles forming in the oil.
• The 48mm inverted KYB fork also features a Transfer Control Valve (TCV). The TCV enhances the damping force from mid to full stroke and improves bottoming characteristics. The benefit of TCV is more precise control throughout the full suspension stroke. The TCV is located on the upside of the spring and its function is controlled by piston speed, not piston position, hence the term “Speed Sensitive System fork”.
• Large “wrap-around” plastic fork protectors provide excellent lower fork tube protection. The “self-supporting” design reduces friction for smoother fork operation.
• Monocross link rear suspension features a fully adjustable, large capacity, Kayaba piggyback shock which provides 318mm (12.5″) of wheel travel and features separate adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping. The shock is in-line with the center axis of the frame for excellent control. Shock valving and settings are tailored for cross country riding. Shock adjustments include: spring preload, 14-way rebound damping, 10 -way low-speed compression damping and 1 ¼ turns of high speed compression damping.
• 250mm floating front “wave-style” disc reduces weight, improves cooling and adds style too. The disc is squeezed by a compact Nissin twin piston caliper fitted with lightweight aluminum pistons.
• “Shorty style” adjustable front brake lever can be adjusted to fit various hand sizes.
• 245mm rear disc brake features a “wave-style” disc. The rear disc is squeezed by a single piston Nissin caliper.
• Lightweight, compact, integrated Nissin rear master cylinder (fluid reservoir is integrated into the top of the master cylinder) provides strong stopping power with excellent feel and control.
• The rear caliper and the lower portion of the wave style disc are protected by heavy duty plastic protectors.
• Lightweight, plastic resin 7.5 litre fuel tank is located under the seat, once again reducing the centre of gravity and centralizing mass for exceptional handling performance. The fuel tank is able to flip backwards 180 degrees (flip onto its back) without disconnecting the fuel line for easier servicing under the tank.
• Compact body work reduces weight and enhances the lightweight feel and look of the YZ250FX. This “minimal” bodywork is a flat design, allowing for fast, easy rider movements and provides a natural and roomy riding position. Minimal design aids in keeping the body looking good throughout the life of the machine.
• Graphics are impregnated directly into the plastic rad shrouds. They will not peel off or get damaged by pressure washing.
• The flat seat design provides easy rider movements and features a “cap cover” to access the fuel cap. There is no fuel cap visible with this design. The fuel filler “cap cover” snaps into place, via grommets. The non-slip seat cover material resists clogging with dirt or mud to ensure long lasting good looks.
• High tech, lightweight digital meter assembly. This compact meter features: speedometer, odometer, dual tripmeters and a clock in the basic mode, or in the “race mode”, pace management functions including a timer and distance compensating /adjustable tripmeter. There are also warning lights for engine trouble (FI system) and low fuel.
• Rugged, 21″ front and 18″ rear rims provide exceptional durability and help reduce unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance and handling. 18″ rear wheel increases puncture resistance versus a 19″ design. Tires are Dunlop MX51 series.
• Convenient oil level sight glass window
• Lightweight, extra wide foot pegs provide excellent grip and ground clearance.
• Folding shift lever tip helps prevent damage.
• Lightweight chain guide / support helps reduce chance of chain derailment and also helps protect the rear sprocket.
• Heavy duty rubber swingarm protector
• Heavy duty sealed “O” ring drive chain
• Easy access GYTR Power Tuner and Yamaha Diagnostic tool connectors
• Sealed, no spill, gel type, low maintenance battery (Note: any motorcycle battery must be charged regularly during winter storage)
2015 Yamaha YZ250FX – www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $7,890 – Team Yamaha Blue/White – Available from November 2014
Engine Type 250cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke; 4 titanium valves
Bore x Stroke 77.0 x 53.6mm
Compression Ratio 13.5:1
Fuel Delivery Yamaha Fuel Injection (YFI) Keihin® 44mm
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission Wide-ratio constant-mesh 6-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive Chain
Suspension / Front KYB® Speed-Sensitive System; inverted fork; fully adjustable, 12.2-in travel
Suspension / Rear KYB® Fully adjustable single shock; 12.5-in travel
Brakes / Front Hydraulic single disc brake, 250mm
Brakes / Front Hydraulic single disc brake, 245mm
Tires / Front 90/90-21 54M
Tires / Rear 110/100-18 64M
L x W x H 85.2 x 32.5 x 50.4 in
Seat Height 38.0mm
Wheelbase 57.7 in
Ground Clearance 12.8 in
Fuel Capacity 2.1 gal
Wet Weight*** 249 lb
Warranty 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)
2015 Yamaha YZ250FX – www.Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: $8,749 CDN
4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), single
BORE AND STROKE
77 x 53.6 mm
44 mm Keihin throttle body F.I.
IGNITION / STARTING
TCI / Electric & Kick
Adj. 48 mm, inverted fork / 310 mm (12.2″) travel
Fully adj. Monocross / 318 mm (12.5″) travel
250 mm, floating disc / twin piston caliper
245 mm disc / single piston caliper
/// CRITICAL DATA
2,165 mm (85.2″)
825 mm (32.5″)
1,280 mm (50.4″)
1,465 mm (57.7″)
325 mm (12.8″)
965 mm (38″)
7.5 litres (1.7 imp. gallons)
113 kg (249 lb)
Specifications, appearance, and price of product are subject to change without notice.
* MSRP does not include freight, PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection), pre-rigging (boats), or taxes. Dealer may sell for less. See your local dealer for out the door pricing.
± Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha and converted into Canadian measurements. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road condition, how you ride, maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).