Click photos to enlarge. Our big, clean bike pics make great desktop wallpaper.
2016 Yamaha TMAX Review
2016 Yamaha TMAX on www.Totalmotorcycle.com
The 2016 TMAX, a fully highway capable scooter that shatters the scooter stereo type. Get ready to experience some serious performance, handling, comfort and convenience. Just some of the features include a 41mm inverted fork, radial mount 4-piston front brakes, brilliant LED headlights and a ‘Smart Key’ system just like on a car.
The MAX is never enough
You’re looking at the ultimate long-distance maxi scooter. With its restyled front cowling and new LED headlights – as well as new upside down forks – the iconic TMAX is way ahead.
The high-torque 530cc engine and automatic transmission give you remarkable standing-start and roll-on acceleration – and a lightweight aluminium chassis and sophisticated suspension bring advanced motorcycle technology to the scooter world.
Large diameter wheels with wide tyres give great roadholding – while for easy operation there’s a new Smartkey ignition and immobilizer system. And with powerful brakes and new radial front calipers – as well as optional ABS – you have power with control.
2016 Yamaha TMAX www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
12 volt DC outlet (24W / 2A) located on LHS of the inner fairing.
• Additional under seat helmet holder & cable
• Folding mirrors
• Centre stand with 10 mm hole for disc lock for added theft protection
• Side stand safety lock-out switch prevents unit from being ridden when the side stand is down.
• 5-position adjustable front & rear hand brake levers
• Convenient passenger grab rail
• Push to cancel turn signals
• Emergency 4-way flasher
• 12 amp hour low-maintenance, sealed battery (battery should be charged during winter storage)
• Locking fuel cap is hidden by special-access panel located at the front of the seat.
• Stylish heat shield on muffler protects rider & passenger from hot components.
• Yamaha diagnostic tool coupler is located under the seat. This system can significantly reduce diagnostic time in the event of a problem.
2016 Yamaha TMAX www.Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
• Compact, 530cc, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve, 4-stroke twin provides serious performance combined with good fuel economy and low emissions. Highway speeds are easily obtainable; even when riding 2-up.
• Fuel consumption rating of approximately 19 kilometres per litre or 53 miles per gallon (imp.). Your actual consumption may vary.
• Convenient electric starting.
• DOHC, 4-valve cylinder head.
– optimum breathing efficiency for great performance
– valve actuation is via under bucket shims… just like most sport bikes
– valve adjustment interval is 42,000 kms
• Lightweight aluminum cylinder block features “liner less” ceramic composite “bores”.
– “liner less” design means ceramic coating is sprayed directly on aluminum cylinder block
– insures uniform heat dissipation
– reduces internal friction & weight
• Fan-assisted, liquid-cooling.
– maintains consistent engine temperatures even in stop & go rush hour traffic
– liquid-cooling allows for a higher state of tune & performance
– high flow water pump and oil pump optimize engine cooling & lubrication for excellent durability.
• “Piston-style” engine balancer.
– reduces vibration to a minimum for excellent rider & passenger comfort
• Lightweight crankshaft with carburized connecting rods & lightweight forged aluminum pistons.
– optimizes engine performance & provides fast throttle response
– excellent durability (carburization is a heat treating process that increases the strength of steel)
– reduces mechanical vibration
• Downdraft style intake is used for maximum engine performance.
• 34 mm, “closed loop”, dual bore, throttle body fuel injection system.
– system uses throttle position sensor (TPS) to help optimize intake air flow & power
– 12 hole injectors optimize fuel atomization
– excellent throttle response
– “closed loop system” uses an oxygen sensor to “sniff” spent exhaust & automatically adjust the fuel / air ratio for reduced emissions
– fuel injection benefits include choke-free starting, steady idling during warm up, excellent fuel economy & reduced emissions
• Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
– produces a strong spark for fast starts
– provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
• Sport bike inspired curved radiator with electric cooling fan.
– maximum cooling efficiency for consistent performance even in stop & go traffic
– Note: curved rad offers more surface area (more cooling) than a conventional flat rad
• Fully automatic, CVT (constantly variable transmission) V-belt transmission.
– “twist-the-throttle-and-go operation”
– no hand clutch or gear shifting
– wide range reduction ratio is used for strong sports performance
– special dual paper air filters allow cooling air to enter the belt case for extended belt life
– double cog type belt for extended service life
• Belt drive, final drive system.
– clean & quiet… no chain splatter
– excellent transfer of power from the engine to rear wheel
– very limited maintenance… belt life is over 40,000 kms & requires very few adjustments
• Stylish upswept muffler with catalytic converter.
– catalyzer reduces harmful exhaust emissions
– upswept muffler produces a quiet exhaust note & provides sporty styling
• Convenient spin on type oil filter.
• Unique CF die cast aluminum frame is lightweight yet rigid for excellent sports handling. This frame design is a cross between a motorcycle type frame and a scooter step-through design. The TMAX is one of the most sporty handling scooters on the market today … it handles more like a motorcycle than a scooter.
• Lightweight, motorcycle inspired aluminum swingarm.
– reduced unsprung weight for sporty handling and excellent ride comfort
– excellent rear wheel traction
• Sport bike inspired, 41mm inverted fork.
– 120 mm (4.7″) of wheel travel for excellent ride comfort
– inverted design reduces unsprung weight & increases front end rigidity for excellent handling
• “Pull type” single rear shock rear suspension.
– 116 mm (4.6″) of rear wheel travel
– shock extends (instead of compresses) as rear wheel moves through its stroke
– shock is mounted between the engine and the swingarm to reduce the centre of gravity & centralize mass for light, agile handling
• Dual floating 267mm front discs are squeezed by radial mount, four piston monoblock calipers.
– radial mounting design helps to reduce caliper distortion for excellent braking performance
– excellent control & lever ” feedback”
• Large 282mm rear disc with single piston caliper
• Parking brake mechanism provides additional confidence when parking the TMAX on unlevel ground.
– handlebar-mounted lever activates a special secondary brake caliper to lock the rear wheel
– actuation lever designed to interfere with handlebar to prevent being ridden with park brake activated.
• Lightweight 15″ mag style die cast aluminum 5-spoke wheels.
– front wheel size is MT3.50×15 , fitted with a 120/70R15 tubeless, radial tire
– rear wheel size is MT5.00×15, fitted with a wide 160/60R15 tubeless, radial tire
• Roomy, 2-person seat ensures excellent comfort.
– rider portion features a 3-position adjustable lower back support to add or reduce leg room
• Huge, locking under seat storage compartment.
– easily holds a full-face helmet plus more
– vanity light
• 15 litre fuel tank.
– 3 litre reserve portion (low fuel light illuminates)
– internal electric fuel pump
– locking fuel cap
• Sporty front fairing offers great style with a serious functional side too.
– 2- position adjustable windshield with 55mm (2.2″) adjustment range
– “hard coated” windshield finish for scratch protection
– windshield design reduces wind turbulence behind the screen
– excellent wind & weather protection
– dual, small storage compartments on left & right side of the inner fairing
• LED lighting provides excellent visibility & illumination.
– dual “cat-eye” LED front headlights
– LED position lighting located above the LED headlights
• Smart Key System… just like on a car.
– Smart Key doubles as an anti-theft immobilizer as well
– ignition switch, seat & steering locks are electrically operated by Smart Key System
– centrally located Smart Key command rocker style bevel switch in the centre of inner fairing
– mechanical key integrated into Smart key fob to open fuel cap & front storage pocket
– steering lock
• Multi-function instrumentation panel provides a sense of depth and a 3D feeling.
– analog functions include: speedometer & tach
– digital functions include: dual trip meters, clock, temperature gauge, fuel gauge & fuel reserve trip meter ( counts kilometers since the low fuel light illuminated)
– other readouts include: outside air temp, average & instantaneous fuel consumption , plus V-belt and oil change trip functions to inform the rider of pending maintenance
2016 Yamaha TMAX – www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $NA
Model Not Available
** Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha.
Your actual mileage will vary depending on road conditions, how you ride and maintain your vehicle,
accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
*** Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as
applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is
useful in making real-world comparisons with other models.
2016 Yamaha TMAX – www.Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: Starting from $16499 CDN
4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 8-valves (4-valves / cyl), inline twin
BORE AND STROKE
68 x 73mm
5.3 kg-m (38.3 ft-lbs.) @ 5,250 rpm
Mikuni 34 mm throttle body F.I.
ESTIMATED FUEL CONSUMPTION±
IGNITION / STARTING
TCI / Electric Start
Fully automatic CVT
41 mm inverted fork / 120 mm (4.7″) wheel travel
Swingarm – single shock / 116 mm (4.6″) wheel travel
Dual 267mm discs – 4 piston calipers
282mm disc – single piston caliper
/// CRITICAL DATA
1,420 or 1,475mm (55.9 or 58.1”)
15 litres (3.3 Imp. gallons)
220kg (485 lb)
197kg (434 lb)
Matte Light Metallic Gray
Specifications, appearance, and price of product are subject to change without notice.
* MSRP does not include freight, PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection), pre-rigging (boats), or taxes. Dealer may sell for less. See your local dealer for out the door pricing.
± Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha and converted into Canadian measurements. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road condition, how you ride, maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
2016 Yamaha TMAX – www.Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Europe/UK MSRP Price: See Dealer for pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine type Forward-inclined parallel 2-cylinder, liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC, 4-valves
Bore x stroke 68.0 mm x 73.0 mm
Compression ratio 10:9 : 1
Maximum power 34.2 kW @ 6,750 rpm
Maximum Torque 52.3 Nm @ 5,250 rpm
Lubrication system Dry sump
Fuel system Fuel Injection
Ignition system TCI
Starter system Electric
Transmission system V-Belt Automatic
Front suspension system Telescopic fork
Front travel 120 mm
Rear suspension system Swingarm
Rear Travel 116 mm
Front brake Hydraulic dual disc, Ã˜ 267 mm
Rear brake Hydraulic single disc, Ã˜ 282 mm
Front tyre 120/70-15
Rear tyre 160/60-15
Overall length 2,200 mm
Overall width 775 mm
Overall height 1,420-1,475 mm (adjustable windscreen)
Seat height 800 mm
Wheelbase 1,580 mm
Minimum ground clearance 125 mm
Wet Weight 219 kg /ABS222 kg
Fuel tank capacity 15.0 litres
*Starting at MSRP is the manufactured suggested price and excludes delivery, setup, tax, title, license, and additional fees and expenses. Bikes may be shown with optional accessories. Final sale price determined by an authorized dealer. Specifications and MSRP are subject to change.
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).