Click photos to enlarge. Our big, clean bike pics make great desktop wallpaper.
2016 Yamaha YZ250FX Review
2016 Yamaha YZ250FX on www.Totalmotorcycle.com
YZ250F championship-tech in a light, powerful machine built to win cross-country races…
X COUNTRY RACER
YZ250FX is a light, powerful machine built to win cross country races.
The high flying, high paced action of motocross is not for everyone. As a result, the slightly less intense world of cross country / harescramble racing is experiencing solid growth and interest. The YZ250FX is a cross country focused model with the performance potential of the YZ250F. If you are serious about winning, the YZ250FX could be the machine for you.
/// Electric Start
Convenient, dependable electric start ensures hassle-free, push button start.
The YZ250FX uses the “Best in Class” YZ250F reversed cylinder, rearward slanted engine with modified fuel injection settings, electric starting and a 6-speed transmission. With the optional GYT-R YZ Power tuner, you can adjust both fuel mapping and ignition mapping to best suit conditions and riding ability.
/// The Extras
Featuring KYB “SSS” forks and a fully adjustable KYB rear shock, the FX uses the same suspension as its MX cousin with softer settings and slightly more rear wheel travel. Also included is a lightweight aluminum side stand and an 18″ rear wheel. With a maximum noise output of 94 dB, the muffler is the same as the current YZ250F.
2016 Yamaha YZ250FX www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
• Latest generation YZ250F based rear slanting engine & Bilateral Beam chassis
• Forward mounted fuel injection & wrap around exhaust
• Electric starting
• 6-speed transmission
• YZ based, adjustable suspension
• 18 inch rear wheel
• Adjustable handlebar
• GYTR Power Tuner compatible
2016 Yamaha YZ250FX www.Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
• YZ250F based, “reversed” liquid-cooled, 250cc, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), 4-stroke, single with fuel injection and electric starting. The engine is tuned for excellent “ride-ability & controllability”, delivering a broad, easy to use power band with excellent power characteristics.
• Rearward slanted, reversed cylinder design.
– rearward slant moves a significant amount of rotating weight toward the centre of the chassis
– rearward slanted cylinder centralizes mass for excellent handling & a light feel
• “Reversed” engine design (FI system is front mounted, exhaust exits from rear of cylinder).
– FI throttle body & air box are front mounted, providing a straight intake path
– straight intake path into the cylinder, provides optimum fuel/ air flow for excellent power
– front mounted intake design keeps fuel cooler since engine heat has less effect on incoming fuel (cooler fuel is more dense & increases power)
– design centralize mass for light, agile handling
• Electric start with manual kick starter & auto decompression system. Unit can be re-started in any gear.
• There is no main ignition switch on this model.
– electric start button (RHS handlebar) activates the entire electrical system
– kill switch (LHS handlebar) if held for a few seconds shuts down entire electrical system
– design reduces weight
• Compact 4-valve cylinder head features a 13.5:1 compression ratio.
– titanium 31 mm intake valves & titanium 25 mm exhaust valves
– 23.75 degree valve angle provides a compact combustion chamber
– 4-valve design offers optimum flow for excellent power & torque
• Lightweight titanium valves use load-reduced oval valve springs.
– titanium reduces reciprocating weight & allows for a higher rpm limit
– reduced friction (load reduced valve springs)
– faster-revving & smoother power delivery.
• Automatic cam chain tensioner.
– reduces maintenance
– special cam chain “sliders” reduce internal frictional losses.
• Lightweight hollow intake & exhaust camshafts.
– provide a broad power band well suited to cross country / enduro type riding.
• Lightweight, ceramic composite coated aluminum cylinder.
– reduced weight… no sleeve or heavy liner… plating is sprayed directly on the aluminum block
– ceramic coating insures faster, more uniform heat dissipation & reduced friction
• Special cylinder “cutaways” allow air “trapped” under the piston to enter a side chamber (or cutaway) to reduce horsepower-robbing “pumping losses.”
• The crankcase also utilizes cutaways to reduce “pumping losses”. The crankcase cutaways match the cutaways in the cylinder for maximum efficiency.
• Lightweight, short-skirt, forged aluminum piston uses a 2-ring design.
– single compression ring & a specially designed oil control ring that increases the surface contact area for better sealing
– 2-ring design decreases sliding resistance, reduces weight & provides faster throttle response
– lightweight design means faster throttle response & reduced mechanical vibration for excellent durability
• Piston oil cooler jet nozzle directs oil to the desired portion of the cylinder & underside of piston.
– reduces piston, cylinder & rod temperatures for excellent durability.
• The crankcase features a tri-axis layout for the crank, main & drive axles.
– tri-axis design means lighter, more compact crankcases
– centralizes mass for excellent handling
• Lightweight YZ250F inspired crankshaft & connecting rod features a carburizing process for excellent durability.
• Lightweight gear driven counter balancer shaft.
– reduces vibration for improved rider comfort & less rider fatigue
• 6-speed transmission utilizes a 2-bar, floating shift guide system & a 14 mm shift shaft.
– smooth, positive shifts
– good durability in the event of a crash (14 mm shift shaft)
– see spec page for gear ratios
• Heavy duty, multi-plate, clutch features 9-friction plates & quick access magnesium outer cover.
– clutch is designed for the rigours of cross country / enduro riding
– outer cover provides fast & easy clutch access
• 44mm Keihin throttle body fuel injection system.
– 10-hole injector with a 16 degree spray pattern
– maximizes fuel atomization for more complete combustion & excellent power delivery
– FI settings are specific to cross country / enduro type riding
– FI benefits include automatic adjustments to insure the optimum fuel – air ratio regardless of outside air temperature and altitude
– other benefits include excellent starting & excellent throttle response
– cold start knob also doubles as an idle adjuster
• The injector spray pattern, spray direction and the distance to the intake valves have been optimized. Forward mounted straight intake tract helps to maximize the benefits of the FI system & overall power output.
• Optional, compact, hand held “GYTR Power Tuner” allows tailoring of both fuel injection duration & ignition mapping.
– 9- different setting points can be accessed for both fuel duration & ignition maps
– maps can be stored & shared with other Power Tuners if desired
• Forward mounted air box features a washable, dual-stage, foam air filter.
– No tools required to access air filter (no need to remove tank or seat)
• Wet sump lubrication system.
– reduces weight (no remote oil tank or hoses)
– eases maintenance (easier & faster oil changes)
• Easy access “cartridge-type” oil filter.
• Lightweight, YZ250F based dual rads.
– pre-wired for accessory cooling fan… fits on right side rad only
• Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
– produces a strong spark for fast starts
– provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
• High capacity generator is used in order to power the battery-less FI system.
• Lightweight, wrap-around exhaust system is the same as the YZ250F.
– exits from the rear of the engine & circles cylinder body
– design ensures the optimum tuned header length
– maximizes exhaust “pulse effect” for excellent power delivery
– centralizes mass by moving weight closer to the centre of the chassis
• Lightweight, aluminum, re-packable muffler (aka silencer).
– same high flow muffler as the YZ250F… noise output is 94 dB
• Compact, lightweight, single core, dual radiators provide outstanding cooling efficiency.
– Maintains consistent engine temperatures even during slow speed technical riding.
• YZ250F based, compact, lightweight “Bilateral Beam” aluminum frame.
– centralizes mass for exceptional handling & manouverability
– frame consists of forged, cast & extruded aluminum parts
– frame offers an optimum rigidity balance between strength, rigidity & flex, plus excellent shock absorbing qualities
– frame design offers excellent “rider – machine communication” (a.k.a. feedback)
• Lightweight, tapered aluminum swingarm.
– lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for excellent suspension performance
– excellent rear wheel traction & control
• Lightweight detachable rear sub frame.
– constructed of square-section, lightweight aluminum pipe with no bends
– allows easy access when servicing rear suspension components
• YZ250F based, 48mm, adjustable, inverted, Kayaba “SSS” cartridge fork offers 310mm (12.2″) of wheel travel.
– valving & settings are designed for cross country riding
– Front fork adjustments include: 20-way compression damping and 20-way rebound damping
– Optional fork springs are available through Genuine Yamaha parts.
• Fork features a twin-chamber, “Speed Sensitive System” design meaning the damper unit is in a separate structure (completely separated air & oil chambers) which prevents aerated fork oil from entering the inner damper assembly and degrading its damping abilities. Since the inner damper is pressurized, it also eliminates bubbles forming in the oil.
• Fork also features a Transfer Control Valve (TCV).
– TCV enhances damping from mid to full stroke & improves bottoming characteristics
– TCV offers more precise control throughout the full suspension stroke
– TCV is located on the upside of the spring & its function is controlled by piston speed, not piston position, hence the term “Speed Sensitive System fork”.
• Large “wrap-around” plastic fork protectors provide excellent lower fork tube protection.
– “self-supporting” design reduces friction for smoother fork operation.
• YZ250F based, Monocross link rear suspension features a fully adjustable Kayaba piggyback shock with 318 mm (12.5″) of wheel travel.
– features separate adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping
– shock is in-line with the center axis of the frame for excellent control
– shock valving & settings are tailored for enduro riding
– shock adjustments include: threaded spring preload, 20 -way low-speed compression
damping, 2 turns of high speed compression damping & 30-way rebound damping • 250mm floating front “wave-style” disc & compact Nissin twin piston caliper.
– wave disc design reduces weight & improves cooling (wave design offers more surface area for better cooling)
• “Shorty style” adjustable front brake lever can be adjusted to fit various hand sizes.
• 245mm rear disc brake features a “wave-style” disc & single piston Nissin caliper.
• Lightweight, compact, Nissin integrated rear master cylinder (fluid reservoir is integrated into the top of the master cylinder)
• Rear caliper & lower portion of the wave style disc are protected by heavy duty plastic protectors.
• Lightweight, plastic resin 7.5 litre fuel tank with compact in-tank electric fuel pump, is located under the seat.
– reduces centre of gravity ¢ralizes mass for exceptional handling performance
– tank can be flipped on its back without disconnecting fuel line (easy servicing under the tank)
• Adjustable handlebar holders offer a total of 4 different handlebar positions with an adjustment range of 30mm.
– suits wide variety of rider sizes
– handlebar holders are rubber mounted for reduced vibration & improved rider comfort.
• Compact body work.
– reduces weight & enhances the lightweight feel and look of the YZ250FX
– flat design, “minimal” bodywork allows for fast, easy rider movements & a natural riding position
– minimal design aids in keeping the body looking good (less plastic to scratch or damage)
– graphics are impregnated directly into the plastic rad shrouds & will not peel off or get damaged by pressure washing
• Flat seat design.
– provides easy rider movements
– features a “cap cover” to access the fuel cap
– fuel filler “cap cover” snaps into place, via grommets
– non-slip seat cover material resists clogging with dirt or mud
• Rugged, 21″ (1.60 x 21) front & 18″ (2.15 x 18) D.I.D. rear rims.
– excellent durability
– reduce unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance & handling
– 18″ rear wheel improves puncture resistance (Vs. 19″ designs)
– Dunlop AT81 tires
• Convenient oil level sight glass
• Lightweight, extra wide foot pegs
• Folding shift lever tip helps prevent damage
• Lightweight chain guide / support helps reduce chance of chain derailment & helps protect rear sprocket
• Heavy duty rubber swingarm protector (chain)
• Heavy duty sealed “O” ring drive chain
• Easy access GYTR Power Tuner & Yamaha Diagnostic tool connectors
• Sealed, no spill, gel type, low maintenance battery (note: any motorcycle battery must be regularly charged during winter storage)
2016 Yamaha YZ250FX – www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $7,890 – Team Yamaha Blue/White – Available from October 2015
Engine Type 249cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke; 4 titanium valves
Bore x Stroke 77.0mm x 53.6mm
Compression Ratio 13.5:1
Fuel Delivery Yamaha Fuel Injection (YFI) Keihin® 44mm
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission Wide-ratio constant-mesh 6-speed; multiplate wet
Final Drive O-ring chain
Suspension / Front KYB® spring-type fork with speed sensitive
damping; fully adjustable; 12.2-in travel
Suspension / Rear KYB® single shock; fully adjustable; 12.5-in
Brakes / Front Hydraulic single disc brake, 250mm
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic single disc brake, 245mm
Tires / Front Dunlop® AT81F 90/90-21
Tires / Rear Dunlop® AT81 110/100-18
L x W x H 85.2 in x 32.5 in x 50.4 in
Seat Height 38.0 in
Wheelbase 57.7 in
Rake (Caster Angle) n/a
Ground Clearance 12.8 in
Fuel Capacity 2.0 gal
Fuel Economy n/a
Wet Weight 249 lb
Warranty 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Team Yamaha Blue/White
** Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha.
Your actual mileage will vary depending on road conditions, how you ride and maintain your vehicle,
accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
*** Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as
applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is
useful in making real-world comparisons with other models.
2016 Yamaha YZ250FX – www.Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: $8799 CDN
Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), single
BORE AND STROKE
77 x 53.6 mm
44 mm Keihin throttle body F.I.
IGNITION / STARTING
TCI / Electric & Kick
1st gear – 2.385 (31/13)
2nd gear – 1.813 (29/16)
3rd gear – 1.444 (26/18)
4th gear – 1.143 (24/21)
5th gear – 0.957 (22/23)
6th gear – 0.815 (22/27)
“O” ring chain
Adj. 48 mm, inverted fork / 310 mm (12.2″) travel
Fully adj. Monocross / 318 mm (12.5″) travel
250 mm, floating disc / twin piston caliper
245 mm disc / single piston caliper
/// CRITICAL DATA
2,165 mm (85.2″)
825 mm (32.5″)
1,280 mm (50.4″)
1,465 mm (57.7″)
325 mm (12.8″)
965 mm (38″)
7.5 litres (1.7 imp. gallons)
113 kg (249 lb)
Specifications, appearance, and price of product are subject to change without notice.
* MSRP does not include freight, PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection), pre-rigging (boats), or taxes. Dealer may sell for less. See your local dealer for out the door pricing.
± Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha and converted into Canadian measurements. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road condition, how you ride, maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
2016 Yamaha YZ250FX – www.Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Europe/UK MSRP Price: See Dealer for pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Model Not Available in Europe
*Starting at MSRP is the manufactured suggested price and excludes delivery, setup, tax, title, license, and additional fees and expenses. Bikes may be shown with optional accessories. Final sale price determined by an authorized dealer. Specifications and MSRP are subject to change.
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).