RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE.
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS:
The industry’s top-selling small-displacement cruiser models, the Rebel 500 and Rebel 300 are built around the elemental needs of a motorcyclist. Stylish and user-friendly, the models offer unparalleled enjoyment through their minimalist design, customizable components and exceptional performance in any type of environment—be it city streets or twisting backroads. While retaining the iconic fuel tank and narrow-style frame, the 2020 models build on an already-strong sense of enjoyment through LED lighting front and rear, performance-enhancing features for the chassis and engine and a growing lineup of accessories.
When the Honda Rebel 500 debuted just a few years ago, riders everywhere loved the way it combined a fresh, blacked-out look with timeless features like a low seat height, light weight, narrow 471cc parallel-twin engine and user-friendly powerband. And for 2020 we kept all those best parts, but have given the Rebel 500 some impressive upgrades, like a LED lighting package (headlight, taillight, turn signals and more), new instruments, a slipper/assist clutch that lightens clutch pull, new suspension, and a whole bunch of new Honda accessories available too. So yeah, a great bike got even better. Now more than ever, express yourself on a Rebel!
REBEL 500 / REBEL 300
Already known for their user-friendly performance and ability to deftly navigate city streets, the Rebel 500 and Rebel 300 now have an assist-slipper clutch that reduces clutch-lever effort by 30% while also offering additional control under deceleration. A new fork with stiffer spring rates and revised oil levels delivers improved handling for when those city streets turn to twisting backroads, while an updated shock with stiffer spring rates provides similar levels of support. An improved meter provides important information such as gear selection and fuel level, while a seat with updated thickness and density offers increased support. A repositioned and reshaped LED headlight is paired to new LED turn signals and a redesigned LED taillight, further enhancing the stylish looks of the two models. The Rebel 500 is powered by a 471cc liquid-cooled parallel-twin engine with strong bottom-end torque and a smooth, linear power delivery, and the Rebel 300 has a 286cc single-cylinder engine with strong character and user-friendly power delivery.
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
NEW FOR 2020
- New assist/slipper clutch reduces clutch-lever operation load by 30% for reduced effort in stop-and-go situations, and enhances controlled deceleration.
- Revised fork features new buffing on inner pipe for smoother action plus stiffer spring rate and revised oil levels for improved handling and added comfort.
- Shock damper tube now uses nitrogen gas to stabilize damping force, while stiffer spring rate improves handling and a revised bump rubber maximizes reaction force.
- Repositioned and reshaped LED headlight is paired to new LED turn signals and a redesigned LED taillight to reinforce iconic look.
- Updated LCD meter with gear-position indicator and fuel consumption provides pertinent information to the rider.
- Seat has new thickness and density for increased comfort.
Styling, comfort and performance enhancements to Rebel 500 and Rebel 300 for 2020.
American Honda announced today that its small-displacement cruisers receive a number of important updates for 2020. Already the industry’s top-selling small-displacement cruiser models, the Rebel 500 and Rebel 300 have welcomed throngs of new riders to motorcycling, thanks to an affordable price, user-friendly performance and hip design (highlighted by an iconic peanut-shaped tank, fat tires and blacked-out mechanical components). Now, with an increased focus on styling, comfort and performance, the models are even better, and an expanded accessories lineup provides customers the opportunity to further personalize their bikes—a key ingredient to the sense of freedom, enjoyment and individuality that comes with being a motorcyclist.
“The Rebel 500 and 300 are great examples of the sense of freedom that draws so many of us to motorcycling, which is why they’re the choice of new riders who want a fun ride but aren’t willing to sacrifice style,” said Chris Cox, American Honda’s Manager of Experiential Marketing/Public Relations. “With key updates to the 2020 model and an expanded suite of accessories, these models will deliver even more independence and enjoyment.”
• Pricing: TBD
• Availability: March 2020
o Rebel 500: Matte Armored Silver, Graphite Black, Matte Blue Jeans Metallic
o Rebel 300: Matte Fresco Brown, Graphite Black Metallic, Matte Blue Jeans Metallic
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION
- Both models’ riding positions are relaxed and neutral, with arms gently outstretched and feet dropping straight down to the mid-mounted pegs.
- Good ground clearances allow sporty lean angles.
- To support the Rebel’s low-slung look, its attractive tubular-steel frame holds the engine in three places and is designed to be as narrow as possible around the rider’s inseam. Trail is set at 110mm, with 28° rake.
- The 41mm fork stanchions are set wide at 230mm apart, for rigidity, comfort and style, and the lower legs are blacked-out.
- Fork angle is 30°, wheelbase is 58.7 in. wheelbase and seat height is 27.2 in., resulting in balanced, neutral steering.
- Frame body has a narrow shape and includes an innovative rear loop that separates the seat from the stamped-metal rear fender.
- Dunlop tires (size 130/90-16 front, 150/80-16 rear) are mounted to 16 inch cast-aluminum wheels.
- Both the Rebel 500 and Rebel 300 are available in standard and ABS versions.
- Iconic, peanut-shaped fuel tank, aggressively raked front end and fat tires on large-diameter wheels result in stripped forms that express offbeat individuality from every angle.
- Blacked-out 45mm tubular swingarm with twin conventional, side-mounted dual shocks that feature two-step preload adjusters.
- Ignition is housed below the left side of the fuel tank.
ENGINE / DRIVETRAIN
- Rebel 500 is powered by a 471cc, eight-valve, liquid-cooled parallel-twin engine with strong bottom-end torque and a smooth, linear power delivery.
- Rebel 500 cylinder head uses roller rocker arms; shim-type valve adjustment allows them to be light, for lower valve-spring load and reduced friction.
- Rebel 500 has a silent (SV Chain) cam chain, with the surface of its pins treated with Vanadium to reduce friction through its increased protection against dust. Inlet-valve diameter is 26.0mm with exhaust-valve diameter of 21.5mm.
- Rebel 500 has reduced friction through the inclusion of striations on the piston skirt (a finish that increases surface area, introducing gaps in which oil can flow for better lubrication). An AB 1 salt bath process, used after isonite nitriding, forms a protective oxidization membrane.
- Rebel 500 crankshaft pins are phased at 180°, and a primary couple-balancer sits behind the cylinders, close to the bike’s center of gravity. The primary and balancer gears use scissor gears, reducing noise. The crank counterweight is specifically shaped for couple-balance and its light weight allows the engine to spin freely, with low inertia.
- Rebel 500 crankcases use centrifugally cast thin-walled sleeves. Their internal design reduces the “pumping” losses that can occur with a 180° phased firing order. A deep oil sump holds 3.2 liters.
- Rebel 300 is powered by a peppy 286cc single-cylinder engine.
- Six-speed gearbox is designed to offer smooth gear changes.
- Blacked-out mechanical components for a tough, minimalist look.
- Specially designed muffler looks good and emits a pulsating exhaust note.
A full range of official Honda Accessories are available for the Rebel 500 and Rebel 300 and help create their own custom look. Available accessories include but are not limited to stylish main seat, headlight cowl, meter visor, fork cover, and new saddlebag that can be removed without the use of tools and comes with shoulder straps for easy use when you leave the bike.
WARRANTY: Because we are so confident in the quality of each of our Honda Accessories, we are pleased to offer one of the best warranties in the industry. One-year warranty begins on the day accessories are purchased by the customer.
- Meets current EPA and CARB standards
- California version differs slightly due to emissions equipment
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: starting from $ See dealer for pricing in USD
Canada MSRP Price: $ 7299 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
|Model||Rebel 500 ABS|
|Type||471cc liquid-cooled 20º parallel-twin four-stroke|
|Valve Train||DOHC; four valves per cylinder|
|Bore x Stroke||67.0 mm x 66.8 mm|
|Induction||PGM-FI; 34 mm throttle bodies|
|Ignition||Computer-controlled digital transistorized w/ electronic advance|
|Final Drive||#520 chain; 15T/40T|
|Front||41mm telescopic fork; 4.8 in. travel|
|Rear||Twin shock; 3.8 in. travel|
|Single 296 mm disc w/ hydraulic calipers;|
|Single 240 mm disc w/ hydraulic calipers;|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||28º|
|Trail||110 mm (4.3 in)|
|Seat Height||27.2 in.|
|Ground Clearance||5.3 in.|
|Fuel Capacity||2.95 gal. (0.6 gal. Reserve)|
|Color||Matte Armored Silver, Graphite Black, Matte Blue Jeans Metallic|
|Curb Weight*||414 lbs.|
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride Meets current EPA standards
Models sold in California meet current CARB standards and may differ slightly due to emissions equipment Specifications subject to change
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
Engine & Drivetrain
Liquid-cooled parallel twin
Bore & Stroke
67 mm x 66.8 mm
DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
PGM-FI electronic fuel injection
Chassis & Suspension
41 mm telescopic fork; 121 mm (4.8 in.) travel
Dual shocks with five-position spring preload adjustment; 95 mm (3.7 in.) travel
Front: 296 mm disc with two-piston caliper
Rear: 240 mm disc with single-piston caliper ABS
690 mm (27.2 in.)
1,490 mm (58.7 in.)
191 kg (421 lb.) including required fluids and full tank of gas—ready to ride
Mat Jeans Blue Metallic, Mat Armored Silver
12 months, unlimited mileage, freely transferable warranty; extended coverage available with Honda Plus
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).