YOUR POWER. YOUR WAY.
2020 Yamaha YZ250FX:
This x‑country racer has all the features to win including the smartphone power tuner app that adjusts the bikes settings to your style and the track.
Fender to fender, the YZ250FX is all-new. Based on the latest championship-winning YZ250F and boasting a wide range of cross-country features, the 2020 YZ250FX is a true “out-of-the-box” hare scramble/cross-country competition machine. The addition of the wireless Power Tuner app now makes it easy to tune for varied track and trail conditions.
The YZ250FX’s engine includes all the same race-winning technologies as the current YZ250F motocross machine, with updates to enhance power across the rev range. The result is improved peak power, better power delivery, and even tougher durability.
WIRELESS POWER TUNER APP
Yamaha’s exclusive Power Tuner app puts the flexibility and precision tunability of the GYTR Power Tuner into your smartphone. Make fuelling and ignition timing changes instantly and upload them to the bike for the ultimate in trackside tuning.
PURPOSE-BUILT TO WIN
With the electric starting system, 8.2-litre fuel tank, rugged plastic skid plate, 18-inch rear wheel and XC racing tires, the YZ250FX is ready to win right out of the box.
2020 Yamaha YZ250FX Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
NEW FOR 2020
- New engine based on latest-generation YZ250F motocrosser
- New intake and exhaust ports
- Exclusive Power Tuner app
- Handlebar-mounted map switch
New heavy-duty, large-diameter clutch
- New bilateral beam frame
- Specially-tuned suspension
- Thinner, lower body
- Larger 8.2-litre fuel tank
MARIETTA, Ga. – June 4, 2019 – Yamaha Motor Corp., USA, announces its complete lineup of 2020 cross-country motorcycles specially designed for Hare Scrambles and Grand National Cross-Country (GNCC®) races, including the all-new YZ125X two-stroke motorcycle, as well as a newly redesigned YZ250FX.
“Yamaha’s cross-country lineup builds on the unmatched success of our motocross designs, using industry leading technology to provide uncompromised performance for the tight, technical terrain of Hare Scramble and GNCC racing,” said Steve Nessl, Yamaha’s motorsports marketing manager. “With the introduction of the all-new YZ125X and newly redesigned YZ250FX, Yamaha offers even more variety to meet the demands of cross-country racers and enthusiasts alike.”
Also returning to Yamaha’s 2020 cross-country lineup is the two-stroke YZ250X, and four-stroke YZ450FX, translating Yamaha’s YZ450F flagship motocross performance to the woods with cross-country enhancements.
Yamaha off-road competition bikes offer the latest technology and performance features designed to win races and help enthusiasts become one with their machine to make them the best riders possible – putting them in the victorYZone and atop the podium.All-New 2020 YZ125X: Level-Up Your Performance
Designed to be the perfect step up to a full-size cross-country machine, this lightweight two-stroke is the pinnacle of performance on the racecourse.An all-new model for 2020, the Yamaha YZ125X is optimized for the unique demands of Hare Scrambles and GNCC racing. It sports Yamaha’s Power Valve System-equipped (YPVS™) 125cc, liquid-cooled, two-stroke, reed-valve-inducted engine, combined with a six-speed transmission tuned for smooth, wide, and controllable power character across the rev range. This backwoods racer is built on an ultra-lightweight aluminum frame carefully engineered for the perfect balance of rigidity and flex.Cross-country performance of the YZ125X is optimized with model specific digital CDI ignition settings, new power valve shape, open timing, open duration, as well as a new cylinder head combustion chamber shape, all of which are focused on creating broad power delivery that suits off-road terrain and a wide range of rider skill levels.The 2020 YZ125X is further equipped to endure the punishing terrain of cross-country racing with durability and comfort-enhancing features including a sealed O-ring chain, a standard side stand, and fuel tank petcock with reserve position. Fully adjustable, industry-leading KYB® speed-sensitive spring-type suspension has been tested and tuned specifically for the needs of cross-country racers. Enduro-specific Dunlop® Geomax AT81 tires with an 18-inch rear are ready to head straight to the races thanks to taller sidewalls for improved comfort and reduced pinch flats. A large 270mm front disc brake coupled with high-performance pad material offers outstanding machine control and performance, with exceptional stopping power and controllability for tight wooded trails.
The all-new 2020 YZ125X will be available from dealers this month in Team Yamaha Blue for $6,699 MSRP.
New 2020 YZ250FX: Your Power. Your Way.
This cross-country racer has all the features to win including the smartphone power tuner app that adjusts the bikes settings to your style and the track.
The 2020 YZ250FX is an out-of-the-box Hare Scrambles and GNCC competition machine. Based on the championship-winning 2019 YZ250F, it features Yamaha’s revolutionary front-intake, rear-exhaust, liquid-cooled, DOHC four-stroke power plant with an added sixth gear, wide ratio transmission, and a range of cross-country upgrades. Yamaha’s latest generation, aluminum bilateral beam frame delivers strength, lightness and durability for the tight, technical terrain of cross-country racing while still providing optimum stability in fast sections. The bike also features improved electronics including a compact, center mounted electric start system powered by an ultra-lightweight, four-cell, lithium-ion battery to minimize restart delays mid-race and add convenience everywhere else.
All-new bodywork on the YZ250FX is slimmer than ever, giving the bike a compact, nimble feel and easing rider movement across the machine in tough terrain. Fully adjustable, industry-favorite KYB suspension is specifically tuned for off-road racing and combined with Dunlop MX3S tires with 18-inch rear to deliver excellent comfort and durability in harsh conditions. Additionally, the YZ250FX is equipped with performance and convenience including four-position rubber-mounted handlebar clamps, a side-stand, wireless connectivity with the Yamaha Power Tuner App, and new for 2020, a handlebar-mounted map switch to adjust preselected engine maps on the fly.
The 2020 YZ250FX will be available from dealers in September in Team Yamaha Blue for $8,499 MSRP.
2020 YZ450FX: Power, Tuned to Perfection
Built for cross-country domination with electric start and smartphone power tuner app that adjusts the bike’s settings for various rider styles and track conditions.
The 2020 YZ450FX utilizes Yamaha’s distinct reward-slanted cylinder, 449cc, liquid-cooled, four-stroke engine design, complete with rear exhaust and forward-mounted intake system all working together to deliver class leading power and controllability for cross-country racing. Its bilateral beam frame and engine mounting position optimizes the machine’s rigidity balance, resulting in improved cornering ability and traction, while industry-leading KYB suspension is specifically tuned to provide comfort and performance in the toughest of off-road conditions. Rider convenience is also a priority in the YZ450FX with enhancements including Yamaha’s ultra-lightweight electric start system for effortless restarts under pressure, wireless connectivity with the Yamaha Power Tuner app for precision tunability directly from a smart phone and a handlebar-mounted map switch to choose between user defined engine maps on the fly.
The 2020 YZ450FX will be available from Yamaha dealers in August in Team Yamaha Blue for $9,599 MSRP.
2020 YZ250X: Two-Strokes, One Goal
Engineered with all the reliability and durability you’ve come to expect from Yamaha, this 2‑stroke was made to win cross‑country races.
Yamaha’s 2020 YZ250X delivers classic two-stroke performance to cross-country racing. Its lightweight aluminum frame together with specifically tuned KYB spring type forks and rear shock provide unmatched handling performance and comfort in GNCC style conditions. The 249cc, reed-valve inducted engine, mated with a wide-ratio 5-speed transmission is race-ready. Based on the YZ250 motocross model, the YZ250X features a revised compression ratio, exhaust port, power valve timing, and model specific CDI unit for improved trail performance. All these features are focused on creating a wide, controllable power character along with light, nimble, and precise handling ideal for cross-country racing.
The 2020 YZ250X will be available from dealers this month in Team Yamaha Blue for $7,599 MSRP.
Yamaha bLU cRU Off-Road Racing Contingency
All 2020 YZ-X and YZ-FX models are once again eligible for Yamaha’s bLU cRU Off-Road Racing Contingency Program, with nearly $5 million for Yamaha bLU cRU riders competing in off-road motorcycle racing. YZ riders can earn contingency payouts via a bLU cRU debit card, receive a 10% rebate on GYTR parts and accessory purchases of up to $1,000
2020 Yamaha YZ250FX Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
- Latest-gen “reversed” liquid-cooled, 250 cc, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), single-cylinder engine with fuel injection. The engine has been tuned specifically for XC/woods racing with a broad, easy-to-use powerband and excellent power characteristics throughout the rev range.
- Rearward-slanted, reversed cylinder design.
- rearward slant moves a significant amount of rotating weight toward the centre of the chassis
- rearward-slanted cylinder centralizes mass for excellent handling and a light, agile feel
- “Reversed” engine design (FI system is front-mounted, exhaust exits from rear of cylinder).
- forward-mounted FI provides straight intake path into the cylinder and provides optimum fuel/ air filling and flow for excellent power
- front-mounted intake design keeps fuel cooler since engine heat has less effect on incoming fuel (cooler fuel is more dense and increases power)
- design also helps centralize mass for light, agile handling
- Electric start with auto decompression system (no kick starter). Unit can be re-started in any gear.
- there is no main ignition switch on this model
- electric start button (RHS handlebar) activates the entire electrical system
- kill switch (LHS handlebar), if held for a few seconds, shuts down entire electrical system
- Lightweight titanium valves and optimized valve springs.
- titanium valves reduce reciprocating weight and allow for a higher rpm limit before valve float
- titanium valves means a fast-revving engine with smooth power delivery
- 31 mm titanium intake valves and 25 mm titanium exhaust valves
- Automatic cam chain tensioner.
- reduces maintenance
- special cam chain “sliders” reduce internal friction losses
- Lightweight, short-skirt, forged aluminum piston.
- light flat-top piston features lateral ribs on both sides of the piston pin area
- single compression ring and specially designed oil control ring increases surface contact area for optimal sealing
- 2-ring design decreases sliding resistance, reduces weight and provides faster throttle response
- Lightweight piston pin features a diamond-like coating (DLC) to reduce friction.
- Piston oil cooler jet nozzle directs oil to the desired portion of the cylinder and underside of piston.
- reduces piston, cylinder and rod temperatures for excellent durability
- “Liner-less” lightweight aluminum cylinder with ceramic composite coating.
- ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block, eliminating the need for a liner and reducing weight
- excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery
- coating enhances the thin film of oil between cylinder and piston, reducing friction and increasing power
- Cylinder and crankcase “cutaways” allow air “trapped” under the piston to enter special chambers or cutaways.
- reduces horsepower-robbing “pumping losses”
- crankcase cutaways match cylinder cutaways for maximum efficiency
- Ball-bearing-style crankshaft.
- bronze thrust washers located between crank webs and rod
- heat-treated for strength and durability
- balance ratio of the crank is optimized for minimal vibration and good torque feeling
- Nickel-chromium-molybdenum connecting rod.
- excellent strength and durability
- Lightweight, gear-driven counter balancer shaft.
- reduces vibration for improved rider comfort and less rider fatigue
- 6-speed transmission utilizes a 2-bar, floating shift guide system and a 14 mm shift shaft.
- Heavy-duty, multi-plate clutch features a quick access magnesium outer cover.
- low-friction bushing on actuation arm reduces lever pull effort
- clutch is designed for the rigours of cross-country
- outer cover provides fast and easy clutch access
- 44mm Keihin throttle body fuel injection system.
- 10-hole injector
- maximizes fuel atomization for optimal combustion and excellent power delivery
- FI benefits include automatic adjustments to insure the optimum fuel – air ratio regardless of outside air temperature and altitude
- other benefits include excellent starting and excellent throttle response
- cold start knob also doubles as an idle adjuster
- Handlebar-mounted engine trouble and low fuel warning lights.
- Exclusive Power Tuner app.
- Groundbreaking technology brings the power of the GYTR Power Tuner to your iOS or Android device
- onboard wifi allows adjustment of air/fuel mixture and ignition timing maps based on track conditions
- onboard wifi allows adjustment of air/fuel mixture and ignition timing maps based on track conditions
- record race log information and monitor a range of data such as maintenance and system diagnosis, engine run time and more
- CCU is adopted to accommodate new Power Tuner
- Forward-mounted air box features a washable, dual-stage, foam air filter.
- airbox cover features flush mounted quick release fasteners
- no tools required to access air filter
- washable foam filter reduces tune up costs
- Wet sump lubrication system.
- reduces weight (no remote oil tank or oil lines)
- eases maintenance (easier and faster oil changes)
- oil volume is optimized to reduce oil related drag and weight
- Easy access “cartridge-type” oil filter.
- Compact, lightweight, single-core, YZ250F-based dual radiators.
- outstanding cooling efficiency
- pre-wired for accessory cooling fan – fits on right side rad only
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
- produces a strong spark for fast starts
- provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
- High-capacity AC magneto eliminates need for a battery.
- Wrap-around exhaust system to match head, cam and intake.
- exhaust exits from the rear of the engine and circles cylinder body
- wrap-around design ensures the optimum tuned header length
- maximizes exhaust “pulse effect” for excellent power delivery
- centralizes mass by moving weight closer to the centre of the chassis
- Lightweight, aluminum, re-packable muffler (aka silencer).
- sound output is 94 dB meeting AMA regulations
- Works-style, race-spec “barrel adjuster” for on-the-fly clutch lever free play adjustments.
- Heavy-duty plastic engine skid plate
- Excessive lean angle sensor
- Will shut down the engine if the bike lays on its side
- helps prevent costly engine damage
- Compact bilateral beam aluminum frame.
- frame design centralizes mass for exceptional handling and agility
- frame offers an optimum balance between strength, rigidity and tuned flex, plus excellent shock absorbing qualities
- frame design offers excellent rider-machine communication (a.k.a. feedback)
- Lightweight, tapered aluminum swingarm.
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for excellent suspension performance
- excellent rear wheel traction and control
- large 25 mm rear axle
- Lightweight detachable rear sub frame.
- constructed of square-section, lightweight aluminum pipe with no bends
- allows easy access when servicing rear suspension components
- YZ250F-based, 48 mm, adjustable, inverted, Kayaba “SSS” cartridge fork offers 310 mm (12.2″) of wheel travel.
- fork seal design features a scraper for better cleaning performance in muddy conditions
- valving and settings are optimized for cross-country racing
- front fork adjustments include: 20-way compression damping and 20-way rebound damping
- optional fork springs are available through Genuine Yamaha parts.
- Fork features a twin-chamber, “Speed Sensitive System” design
- damper unit is in a separate structure (completely separated air and oil chambers)
- helps prevent aerated fork oil from entering the inner damper assembly and degrading its damping abilities
- since the inner damper is pressurized; it also eliminates bubbles forming in the oil
- Fork also features a Transfer Control Valve (TCV).
- TCV enhances damping from mid to full stroke and improves bottoming characteristics
- TCV offers more precise control throughout the full suspension stroke
- TCV is located on the upside of the spring and its function is controlled by piston speed, not piston position, hence the term “Speed Sensitive System fork”.
- Large wrap-around plastic fork protectors provide excellent lower fork tube protection.
- self-supporting design reduces friction for smoother fork operation.
- YZ250F-based, Monocross link rear suspension features a fully adjustable Kayaba piggyback shock with 318 mm (12.5″) of wheel travel.
- valving and settings are optimized for cross-country racing
- shock features separate adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping
- shock adjustments include: threaded spring preload, 20-way low-speed compression damping, 2 turns of high speed compression damping and 30-way rebound damping
- Adjustable handlebar holders offer a total of 4 different handlebar positions with an adjustment range of 30mm.
- suits wide variety of rider sizes
- handlebar holders are rubber mounted for reduced vibration and improved rider comfort
- Large 270mm floating front “wave-style” disc and compact Nissin twin-piston caliper.
- wave disc design reduces weight and improves cooling
- high-friction brake pads
- excellent braking performance
- “Shorty-style” adjustable front brake lever can be adjusted to fit various hand sizes.
- 245 mm rear disc brake uses a “wave-style” disc and single piston Nissin caliper and Nissin master cylinder.
- Rear caliper and lower portion of the disc are protected by heavy duty plastic protectors.
- Lightweight, plastic resin 8.2 litre fuel tank is located under the seat.
- reduces centre of gravity and centralizes mass for exceptional handling performance
- tank can be flipped on its back without disconnecting fuel line (easy servicing under the tank)
- compact in-tank electric fuel pump
- Handlebar-mounted engine trouble and low fuel warning lights
- Compact bodywork.
- minimizes weight and enhances the lightweight feel and look of the YZ250FX
- flat design, “minimal” bodywork allows for fast, easy rider movements and a natural riding position
- minimal design aids in keeping the body looking good (less plastic to scratch or damage)
- graphics are impregnated directly into the plastic rad shrouds and will not peel off or get damaged by pressure washing
- Flat seat design.
- provides easy rider movements
- features a “cap cover” to access the fuel cap
- non-slip seat cover material resists clogging with dirt or mud
- Rugged, 21″ (1.60 x 21) front and 18″ (1.85 x 18) D.I.D. rear rims.
- excellent durability
- reduce unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance and handling
- 18″ rear wheel improves puncture resistance (Vs. 19″ designs)
- Dunlop AT81 tires
- Convenient oil level sight glass
- Lightweight, extra wide foot pegs
- Folding shift lever tip helps prevent damage
- Lightweight chain guide / support helps reduce chance of chain derailment and helps protect rear sprocket
- Heavy duty rubber swingarm protector (chain)
- Heavy duty sealed “O” ring drive chain
- Clutch cable features integrated silicone grease and Teflon liner for smooth cable operation
- Easy access Yamaha Diagnostic tool connector
- Sealed, no spill, gel type, low maintenance battery (note: any motorcycle battery must be regularly charged during winter storage)
2020 Yamaha YZ250FX – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $8,499 – Team Yamaha Blue
Canada MSRP Price: $9,799 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £See dealer for pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Australia MSRP Price: See dealer for pricing in AU
Engine Type 250cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke; 4 titanium
Bore x Stroke 77.0mm x 53.6mm
Compression Ratio 13.8:1
Fuel Delivery Mikuni® fuel injection, 44mm
Transmission 6-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive Chain
Suspension / Front KYB® spring-type fork with speed sensitive
damping; fully adjustable, 12.2-in travel
Suspension / Rear KYB® single shock; fully adjustable, 12.5-in
Brakes / Front Hydraulic disc, 270mm
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic disc, 245mm
Tires / Front 80/100-21 Dunlop® MX3S
Tires / Rear 110/100-18 Dunlop® MX3S
L x W x H 85.6 in x 32.5 in x 50.0 in
Seat Height 37.6 in
Wheelbase 58.3 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 27.2°
Trail 4.6 in
Fuel Capacity 2.2 gal
Wet Weight 245 lb
Warranty 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Team Yamaha Blue
*** Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as
applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is
useful in making real-world comparisons with other models.
2020 Yamaha YZ250FX – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
|Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), single|
|Bore and Stroke|
|77 x 53.6 mm|
|44 mm Keihin throttle body F.I.|
|Ignition / Starting|
|TCI / Electric|
|Constant mesh, 6-speed|
|Fully adj. 48 mm, inverted fork / 310 mm (12.2″) wheel travel|
|Fully adj. Monocross / 318 mm (12.5″) wheel travel|
|270 mm, floating disc / twin piston caliper|
|245 mm disc / single piston caliper|
|2,174 mm (85.6″)|
|825 mm (32.5″)|
|1,270 mm (50″)|
|1,481 mm (58.3″)|
|320 mm (12.6″)|
|955 mm (37.6″)|
|8.2 litres (1.8 imp. gallons)|
|111 kg (245 lb)|
|Yamaha Racing Blue|
2020 Yamaha YZ250FX – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
2020 Yamaha YZ250FX – Totalmotorcycle.com Australian Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).