2021 Husqvarna FS450 : Xbox Series X on Wheels.
Introducing the 2021 Husqvarna FS450…
A competition machine that perfectly reflects Husqvarna Motorcycles’ commitment to building true performance motorcycles, the MY21 FS 450 has been specifically designed and built to deliver superior supermoto power and handling, ensuring guaranteed on-track enjoyment.
Driven to develop and refine the FS 450, Husqvarna Motorcycles’ engineers have focused on further improving the machine’s handling and suspension performance, while also supplying a fresh new look.
Producing massive power from its lightweight SOHC, single-cylinder engine, the FS 450 is well-known for its impressive performance. Providing responsive, usable power, a 5-speed Pankl Racing Systems gearbox together with a SUTER anti-hopping clutch ensures riders have precise control at all times.
With a robust, precision manufactured chassis, improved suspension and functional bodywork, the 2021 FS 450 also provides incredible stopping power. Finished with quality components, including adjustable CNC machined triple clamps, Alpina wheels and Bridgestone tires, a carbon fiber composite subframe and a MAGURA hydraulic clutch, the FS 450 guarantees unrivalled, top-level supermoto performance.
IMPROVED SUSPENSION, CHASSIS AND BODYWORK FOR ADVANCED 450 CC SUPERMOTO RACER
Underlining the brand’s continued commitment to the supermoto segment, Husqvarna Motorcycles North America, Inc. is pleased to announce the release of the MY21 FS 450 – the single-cylinder competition supermoto machine that features advanced engineering, class-leading ergonomics and traction control as standard.
Housing a compact – yet powerful – engine within a lightweight frame and modern bodywork, the FS 450 features revised suspension settings that deliver enhanced handling and damping characteristics for incredible on-track riding experiences.
For 2021, the FS 450 features WP XACT forks with AER technology and a new mid-valve damping system that ensures a more consistent front-end suspension performance. Further enhancing the machine’s maneuverability, a new 22 mm diameter front axle and a 7 mm reduction in the base offset of the forks sharpens turning and overall agility. Refinements to the easily adjustable WP XACT shock improve rear-end damping performance with new, low-friction linkage seals delivering a refined suspension response.
Firing into life with a simple press of the electric start button, the FS 450’s SOHC engine provides riders with responsive and usable power, delivered smoothly through the Pankl Racing Systems 5-speed gearbox.
The FS 450’s functional bodywork delivers ergonomics designed for exceptional comfort and is further enhanced by the addition of a high-grip seat cover to improve control in all conditions.
Enabling balanced and powerful braking, a 4 piston radially-mounted Brembo brake caliper and master cylinder work in conjunction with a 310 mm disc to deliver exceptional front wheel stopping performance. A single piston brake caliper and a 220 mm disc are mounted at the rear for balanced control.
The FS 450 features premium components, including CNC-machined triple clamps, Alpina wheels and Bridgestone tires, a carbon fiber composite subframe and a MAGURA hydraulic clutch, ensuring unrivalled, top-level supermoto performance.
2021 Husqvarna FS450 Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
What is new:
- New mid-valve damping system provides improved damping and consistent suspension performance on the WP XACT forks with AER technology
- New 22 mm diameter front axle and 7 mm reduced fork base offset deliver improved turning capability and optimum agility
- The WP XACT shock system features new low-friction linkage seals for refined suspension performance and advanced damping characteristics
- New seat cover texture provides exceptional comfort and control in all conditions
- Striking new electric yellow and dark blue graphics stylishly adorn the Swedish-inspired design
• New mid-valve damping provides consistent fork performance
• New low-friction linkage seals for smoother shock action
• Revised WP XACT shock settings improve traction
• New seat cover texture for exceptional comfort and control
• Shortened wheelbase (7 mm) for optimal turning capabilities
• New 22 mm front wheel axle for improved fork response
• Frame – perfect flex characteristicsadvanced rider feedback
• Carbon fiber composite subframe – lightweight and robust
• Swingarm – optimal stiffness and reliability in a lightweight construction
• WP XACT front fork – progressive and consistent damping
• WP XACT rear shock – 266 mm wheel travel
• Black 16.5”/17” Alpina spoked wheels and Bridgestone racing slick tires – top-level performance
• Bodywork – distinctive looks, modern design and new seat cover texture
• ProTaper handlebar – class-leading function and style
• Launch control – maximum traction for perfect starts
• High performance Brembo brakes – shorter stopping distance with greater control and confidence
2021 Husqvarna FS450 Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
Features and benefits: Chassis
The chromium molybdenum steel frame is expertly crafted using laser-cut, robot-welded, hydro-formed tubes, ensuring the highest level of precision and quality. The specifically crafted geometry utilizes advanced longitudinal and torsional flex characteristics, for unparalleled rider feedback, energy absorption and exceptional straight-line stability.
The frame is finished off with a premium blue powder coating and frame protectors as standard, guaranteeing superior protection and durability.
- Optimal longitudinal rigidity → improved rider feedback, energy absorption and stability
- Durable finish with frame protectors as standard
Carbon fiber composite subframe
The carbon composite subframe is a design unique to Husqvarna Motorcycles showcasing advanced production technologies and innovation. Using 70% polyamide and 30% carbon fiber, the 2-piece subframe design has a total weight of just over 2.2 lbs (1 kg). Apart from being robust, specific care is taken to create the perfect rigidity for optimal handling and rider comfort.
- 2-piece subframe → weight just over 2.2 lbs (1 kg)
- Carbon fiber composite construction → lightweight and robust
- Specific rigidity → benefits handling and comfort
The hollow, cast aluminum swingarm is designed to offer optimal stiffness and reliability at the lowest possible weight. Chain adjustment markings are visible from above for simpler adjustment.
- Optimal stiffness and reliability in a lightweight construction
WP XACT front fork
The 48 mm split air fork features a capsulated air spring and pressurized oil chamber for progressive and consistent damping. Pressure peaks were reduced through extended oil and air bypasses. In combination with a new mid-valve damping system, the fork provides exceptional feedback and rider comfort. The setting is easily adjusted via the single air pressure pre-load valve, as well as through easy access click adjusters for compression and rebound. An air pump, needed to adjust the fork’s air pressure, is provided as standard.
A new 22 mm diameter front axle provides an improved fork response under heavy braking into corners. Additionally, the fork base offset is reduced by 7 mm (MY20 = 35 mm / MY21 = 28 mm), offering advanced turning capabilities, agility and optimal steering accuracy.
- WP XACT front fork → 48 mm air type with split damping function
- New mid-valve damping system → improved damping and performance
- Extended oil and air bypasses → reduced pressure peaks for more consistent damping
- New 22 mm diameter front axle → improved fork response under heavy braking
- Reduced fork base offset by 7 mm → improved agility, optimum turning capability and steering accuracy
- Capsuled air spring and pressurized oil chamber → progressive and consistent damping
- Easy access clicker dials → simple and fast clicker settings
WP XACT rear shock
With updated settings and new low-friction linkage seals, the WP XACT rear shock system provides advanced damping characteristics for unsurpassed traction and energy absorption, while keeping a compact and lightweight design. With a pressure balance inside the shock, damping is consistent resulting in superior rider comfort and handling. The component is fully adjustable and matched to a linkage system with a specific geometry to deliver the greatest possible traction. Rear wheel travel is 266 mm.
- New low-friction linkage seals → refined rear shock response for advanced damping characteristics
- Lightweight and compact → keeping to the lightweight and compact design of the motorcycle
- Pressure balance → consistent damping
- 266 mm wheel travel
CNC machined triple clamps
The 16 mm offset triple clamps are made from high quality CNC aluminum. The rigidity of the clamps is designed to work in harmony with the front forks, offering superior handling and stability. A handlebar clamp that can be set in four different positions comes as standard and allows for customizable ergonomics.
Additionally, the front number board integrates a triple clamp protector, which covers the lower triple clamp and protects it from roost.
- CNC aluminum → finest quality and reliability
- Stiffer upper triple clamp → superior handling and stability
- Adjustable handlebar position → adjustable ergonomics
Airbox and tool-less air filter access
The airbox is designed with precisely positioned inlet ducts aimed at preventing air deformation ensuring maximum airflow and maximum filter protection. The air filter is easily accessed, without tools, by removing the left side panel. Easy maintenance is guaranteed by the Twin Air filter and filter cage design, which features a fail proof mounting system for simple, safe and accurate filter installation.
- Airbox → maximum air flow and filter protection
- Filter mounting system → safe and accurate protection against dirt
- Tool-less filter access → easy and fast maintenance
Wheels and tires
Black 16.5”/17” Alpina spoked wheels on the front and rear respectively, are lightweight and strong. They are complemented by Bridgestone 125/80 R420 and 165/65 R420 racing slick tires for maximum grip.
- Lightweight but strong and reliable construction → minimum unsprung weight
- Bridgestone racing slick tires → top-level performance
The FS 450 features bodywork that clearly showcases Husqvarna Motorcycles’ progressive approach to motorcycle design while striking, Swedish inspired electric yellow and dark blue graphics stylishly adorn the motorcycle. The ergonomics are tailored to deliver greater comfort and control, enabling riders to perform at the highest level for extended periods of time.
As a result of extensive testing, all contact points assist transitioning between riding positions and ensure the rider has uninterrupted movement.
The flat seat profile, combined with a new high grip seat cover, deliver superior comfort and control in all conditions.
- Progressive bodywork → distinctive looks, modern design and graphics
- Ergonomics → confidence-inspiring riding position in all situations
- Seat → flat seat profile and new seat cover texture for exceptional comfort and control in all conditions
The 1.85-gal (7-liter) polythene fuel tank incorporate a threaded filler cap and an integrated fuel pump. The fuel pump features internal line routing directly from the pump to the flange for optimal fuel flow. Additionally, the external fuel line is specifically positioned to be less exposed and susceptible to damage.
- 85-gal (7-liter) polythene fuel tank → large capacity for extended running times
- Internal fuel line routing → optimal flow and reliability
The ProTaper handlebar is second to none for function and style. Manufactured to exacting standards, the handlebar features class-leading fatigue resistance at a minimal weight. The handlebar bend further increases comfort while the standard handguards offer maximum protection.
- ProTaper handlebar → class-leading function and style
Grips and throttle assembly
The grey ODI lock-on grip is fitted to the left side without glue, while on the right, the vulcanized grip features an innovative integrated throttle mechanism. The assembly has easy free-play adjustment and, by changing a cam, throttle progression can be altered.
- Throttle assembly and ODI grips → easily alter throttle progression; easy grip mounting without glue
Map switch, launch control
Designed for easy operation, the map switch activates launch control, offering two engine maps and also activates the traction control feature.
With the engine at idle, launch control is engaged by pressing both TC and MAP buttons simultaneously for approx. two seconds. The LED lamp will then blink continuously, meaning the system is active. This function limits the amount of power to the rear wheel, improving traction and preventing loss of control under hard acceleration.
- Standard handlebar map switch → alter engine characteristics according to conditions and rider preference
- Launch control → maximum traction for perfect starts
Traction control is selected to an on or off position from the switch and functions by analyzing throttle input from the rider and the rate at which RPM increases in the engine. If the RPM increases too quickly, the EMS registers a loss of grip and reduces the amount of power to the rear wheel ensuring maximum traction. This can be a distinct advantage in wet or muddy conditions.
Engine management system (EMS)
The Keihin EMS is specifically designed to be smaller, lighter and faster at processing data. It integrates launch control for perfect starts, selectable engine maps via the switch on the handlebar as well as traction control. Combined with the gear sensor, power delivery is tailored for each gear.
- Keihin EMS → smaller, lighter and faster at processing engine data for more efficient engine management
- Gear sensor → specific engine maps for each gear
44 mm throttle body
The FS 450 features a 44 mm Keihin throttle body with an injector positioned to ensure the most efficient flow into the combustion chamber. Also, to guarantee optimal throttle response, the throttle cable is mounted directly without a throttle linkage, providing a more immediate throttle response.
- Throttle body → 44 mm, injector positioned for optimal flow, more immediate throttle response thanks to direct cable mounting
The FS 450 exhaust system is expertly designed to deliver leading performance and low weight with a flow designed resonance chamber integrated into the header pipe. Further innovation allows for a short, compact silencer without increasing noise levels. The component is crafted from lightweight aluminum and is stylishly finished in a black coating, highlighting its premium quality.
- Short, compact exhausts → lightweight, optimal performance
- Header joining position → remove without removing rear shock
Integrated cooling system and radiators
The radiators are expertly crafted using high-strength aluminum with Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) to channel air more efficiently. The cooling system is intelligently integrated into the frame, eliminating the need for additional hoses. The large center tube running through the frame reduces pressure at this point, allowing for a consistent coolant flow.
Additionally, the radiators are mounted close to the center of gravity for improved handling and agility.
- Integrated cooling → maximum efficiency in minimum space
- Large central tube → consistent coolant flow
Brembo brakes guarantee exceptional stopping power, featuring a 4-piston radially mounted brake caliper and pump in combination with a 310 mm disc from braking at the front. A single piston brake caliper and a 220 mm disc are fitted to the rear. The perfectly placed controls allow for optimal feel and balance under extreme conditions.
- High performance brakes → short stopping distances with great control and confidence
Features and benefits: Engine
The SOHC engine is the perfect example of the advanced engineering techniques used by Husqvarna Motorcycles. Mass-centralization is key in the engine design, enabling chassis engineers to position the engine closer to the center of gravity for greatly improved handling and maneuverability.
- Mass centralization → improved handling and rideability
- Performance →only 60.2 lbs (27.3 kg)
The SOHC cylinder head is incredibly compact and lightweight using a short profile with the camshaft located as close to the center of gravity as possible, significantly improving handling and agility. The lightweight valves are actuated via a rocker arm and feature timing specifically designed to deliver precise levels of torque and throttle response.
- SOHC cylinder head → compact design, camshaft close to center of gravity
- DLC coating and low friction chain guides → low friction
Cylinder and piston
The lightweight aluminum cylinder is an engineering masterpiece, featuring a 95 mm bore and a CP bridge-box-type piston that weighs only 320 g. The compression ratio is 12.75:1 for an impressive peak output.
- Lightweight aluminum cylinder → 95 mm bore
- Lightweight CP forged bridged-box-type piston → high performance, reduced oscillating masses
The inertia produced by the crankshaft has been carefully calculated so that the powerful 450 cc engine can deliver optimal traction and rideability. The crankshaft is specifically positioned to harness the rotating mass in the ideal center of gravity, resulting in lightweight and agile handling. A plain big end bearing comprising of two force-fitted bearing shells to ensure maximum reliability and durability, guaranteeing long service intervals of 100 hours.
- Crankshaft position → ideal center of gravity, improved handling
- Plain big end bearing and force-fitted bearing shells → increased durability and service intervals
The crankcases are designed to house the shaft arrangements and engine internals to ensure the motorcycle offers the best possible handling. Additionally, the position of the clutch shaft keeps the clutch above the oil level resulting in decreased friction and increased efficiency.
High-pressure die-cast production processes keep the overall weight to a minimum, resulting in thin wall thickness while retaining strength.
- Design → optimized mass-centralization, increased efficiency
- High-pressure die-cast production process → thin walls for reduced weight, while maintaining strength
The lightweight 5-speed gearbox is produced by Pankl Racing Systems ensuring the highest levels of durability and reliability. The gear lever features a design that prevents dirt build-up and keeps the lever tip in its original position, even in the toughest conditions. An advanced gear sensor selects a specific engine map tailored for each gear.
- 5-speed gearbox → smooth and precise shifting
- Integrated gear sensor → specific engine maps for each gear
SUTER anti hopping clutch
The FS 450 features a SUTER anti-hopping clutch, which prevents rear wheel instability and hopping when braking hard into the apex of a turn, for maximum control and perfect supermoto-style drifting. The MAGURA hydraulic system guarantees perfect clutch action.
- Slipper clutch → maximum control under hard braking
- MAGURA hydraulic system → perfect clutch action
2021 Husqvarna FS450 – Totalmotorcycle.com Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $ USD
Canada MSRP Price: $ CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ See Dealer for Pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
|Engine type||Single cylinder, 4-stroke|
|Starter/battery||Electric starter / Lithium Ion 12,8V 2Ah|
|Fuel system||Keihin EFI, throttle body 44 mm|
|Control||4 V / SOHC with rocker levers|
|Lubrication||Pressure lubrication with 2 oil pumps|
|Gear ratios||16:32 18:30 20:28 22:26 24:24 –|
|Clutch||SUTER anti-hopping Magura hydraulics|
|Ignition / Engine Management||Keihin EMS|
|Frame||Central double-cradle-type 25CrMo4 steel|
|Subframe||Carbon fiber reinforced polyamide|
|Handlebar||Pro Taper, Aluminum Ø 28/22 mm|
|Front suspension||WP XACT-USD, Ø 48 mm|
|Rear suspension||WP XACT Monoshock with linkage|
|Suspension travel front/rear||285/266|
|Front/rear brakes||Disc brake Ø 310/220 mm|
|Front/rear rims||3.5 x 16.5″; 5 x 17″ Alpina|
|Front/rear tires||125/600 R16.5; 165/630 R17|
|Chain||5/8 x 1/4″|
|Steering head angle||26.1°|
|Triple clamp offset||16 mm|
|Wheel base||1,475 ± 10 mm / 58.1 ± 0.4 in|
|Ground clearance||290 mm / 11.4 in|
|Seat height||890 mm / 35 in|
|Tank capacity, approx.||7 l / 1.85 gal|
|Weight, without fuel, approx.||102.8 kg / 226.6 lbs|
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).