2021 Kawasaki KX85 : WHERE FUTURE MOTOCROSS STARS GET THEIR START.
Introducing the 2021 Kawasaki KX85.
With more amateur national championships than any other brand, the KX™85 is for young racers who are
serious about winning.
The 2021 KX™85 motorcycle defines a “big bike in a small package” and has been strategically developed to meet the standards of youth racers searching for the upper hand over the competition. Embedded with the performance and winning technology of the KX lineup, the KX85 relies on its instantaneous power, nimble handling, and factory-race inspired styling to reach the checkered flag first.
The two-stroke, single cylinder 85cc engine is equipped with the highly advanced KIPS® powervalve system that generates an easy-to-use wide-spread powerband. Championship performance requires power and reliability, which is exactly why the KX85 stands above the competition.
The Kawasaki KX™ mini motocross lineup is ingrained with a long list of successes that has stemmed from building champions since the start. The entire lineup returns for 2021 with models to build future champions.
The Kawasaki Team Green™ racing team has been the dominant force in amateur racing for nearly 40 years, providing contingency and trackside support to racers. As a result, Kawasaki has relied on the aspiring young stars to provide input and to help develop winning products across its lineup.
Utilizing the Team Green Racing program, a trackside support system consisting of local, regional, and amateur motocross and off-road events across the country has been put in place. There, Kawasaki technicians and race transporters can be found with critical parts and technical assistance to all riders.
2021 Kawasaki KX85 Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- HIGH-PERFORMANCE LIQUID-COOLED 2-STROKE ENGINE
- KAWASAKI INTEGRATED POWER-VALVE SYSTEM
- 6-WAY ADJUSTABLE HANDLEBAR MOUNTS
- SOPHISTICATED SUSPENSION COMPONENTS
- AGGRESSIVE STYLING
- OPTIONAL CARBURETOR TUNING JETS ARE INCLUDED TO OPTIMIZE PERFORMANCE BASED ON RIDING CONDITIONS
2021 Kawasaki KX85 Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
• Cylinder head squish area and combustion chamber height designed to help boost power.
• Single-ring piston reduces friction for quick engine response.
• Resin blocks in the crankshaft boost primary compression pressure for more power, while the crankshaft is weighted for maximum rigidity and durability.
• The cylinder is Nikasil plated for increased durability.
• Exhaust and scavenging port shapes help boost power.
• Large radiator for optimum cooling performance.
• Light weight, simple design that is relatively easy and inexpensive to maintain.
• Lightweight flywheel with rare-earth magnets enhances low-end engine response.
• The bridges between the intake and exhaust ports are machine finished to resist seizure.
• The exhaust port window is designed to boost port velocity and the outlet increases flow for more mid-range and top-end power.
• The piston has four lubricating holes at the wrist pin for added durability.
• Carbon fiber reeds aid throttle response. The direction of the fibers is at a 45° angle to tune the flexibility of the reeds for precise response.
• Optional carburetor tuning jests are included so the user can optimize performance based on riding conditions.
• High Tensile Steel Perimeter Frame
• Roomy, Adjustable Ergonomics
• Flat seat fits atop fuel tank to allow the rider freedom of movement.
• Handlebar is held by six-way adjustable clamps. Rotating the clamps allows 10mm movement forward, and the height can be raised five or 10mm by installing one or two 5mm shims between the clamp and triple clamp.
• Radiator shrouds and side number plates also help provide freedom of movement.
• The gas tank is positioned to improve handling and lower the center of gravity.
• Wide footpegs for excellent control. Made of cast steel for strength and use 10mm pivots for durability.
• 6-Speed Transmission
• Bushings in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears on the output shaft and 5th and 6th gear on the transmission input shaft add durability.
• The ends of the shift forks are hard-chrome finished for durability.
Kawasaki Integrated Power Valve System (KIPS)(KP)
• Two-piece exhaust valve improves sealing performance and contributes to engine performance.
• The KIPS system varies exhaust port height for increased horsepower and torque.
• Breather in KIPS cover relieves exhaust pressure for more precise KIPS valve action and improved high rpm performance.
• KIPS lever stopper spring absorbs governor “over stroke” for added durability.
• The KIPS governor has a long stroke to open the cylinder valves more fully. A governor spring and 8mm bearing boss add durability.
• Petal discs reduce unsprung weight and help clean the brake pads for more efficient braking performance.
2021 Kawasaki KX85 – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $4,399 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $5099 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine Type 2-Stroke, Liquid-Cooled, Reed Valve, Single with KIPS
Bore & Stroke 48.5 x 45.8 mm
Compression Ratio Variable 9.0-10.9:1
Carburetor Keihin PWK28
Ignition Digital CDI
Rake/Trail 29°/3.8 in.
Front Wheel Travel 10.8 in.
Rear Wheel Travel 10.8 in.
Front Tire Size 70/100-17
Rear Tire Size 90/100-14
Front Suspension 36mm Inverted Cartridge Fork with 20-Position
Compression Damping Adjustment
Rear Suspension Uni-Trak with Adjustable Preload, 24-Position
Compression & 21-Position Rebound Damping Adjustment,
Wheelbase 49.8 in.
Front Brake Type Disc
Rear Brake Type Disc
Fuel Tank Capacity 1.3 gal.
Ground Clearance 11.4 in.
Seat Height 32.7 in.
Curb Weight= 165 lb.
Specifications subject to change without notice.
Ask about Kawasaki’s Team Green™ amateur rider support program.
(KP) = See Kaw-Pedia section for more details.
* = Changes from previous model year.
= = Includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90% of capacity) and tool kit (if supplied).
2021 Kawasaki KX85 – Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
|Engine||84cc, liquid-cooled, 2-stroke single with KIPS|
|Bore x Stroke||48.5 x 45.8 mm|
|Compression Ratio||10.9:1 (low speed), 9.0:1 (high speed)|
|Induction||2-petal carbon-fibre piston reed valve|
|Fuel System||Carburettor: Keihin PWK28|
|Clutch||Wet multi-disc, manual|
|Frame||Perimeter, high-tensile steel|
|Front Suspension / Wheel Travel||ø36 mm inverted fork with adjustable compression damping / 275 mm (10.8 in)|
|Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel||Uni Trak with adjustable compression and rebound damping and adjustable preload / 275 mm (10.8 in)|
|Rake / Trail||29° / 97 mm|
|Steering Angle (L/R)||45° / 45°|
|Front Tire||70/100-17 40M|
|Rear Tire||90/100-14 49M|
|Front Brake||ø220 mm petal disc with dual-piston caliper|
|Rear Brake||ø184 mm petal disc with single-piston caliper|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||1,830 x 765 x 1,100 mm (72.0 x 30.1 x 43.3 in)|
|Wheelbase||1,265 mm (49.8 in)|
|Road Clearance||290 mm (11.4 in)|
|Seat Height||830 mm (32.7 in)|
|Curb Mass**||75 kg (165 lb)|
|Mass Without Fuel||71.3 kg (157 lb)|
|Fuel Capacity||5 litres|
**Curb weight includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90 percent capacity) and tool kit (if supplied).
KAWASAKI CARES: Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and proper apparel. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Read Owner’s Manual and all on-product warnings. Professional rider shown on a closed course. 2019 Canadian Kawasaki Motors, Inc.
Specifications subject to change.
2021 Kawasaki KX85 – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).