Introducing the 2024 Honda CRF450RL…
Take the legendary CRF450 Performance off-road platform, add street-legal features like a quiet muffler, a vibration-damping urethane-injected swingarm and a wide-ratio six-speed transmission, and the result is Honda’s CRF450RL—the quintessential dual-sport machine, perfect for using paved roads to link together great sections of trail. With a 449cc Unicam engine, twin-spar aluminum frame and premium, long-travel suspension, it’s a stellar performer in the dirt, yet it’s also surprisingly smooth and comfortable on pavement. Throw in Honda’s legendary durability, and it’s little wonder that the CRF450RL has made a name for itself in the dual-sport world.
When it comes to the arts of motorcycle manufacturing, producing a great dual-sport is about as tough as it gets. That’s why we can’t help but be proud and excited about the remarkable 2024 Honda CRF450RL. This masterpiece is so much more than a motocrosser with a license plate, offering unrivaled versatility and a plethora of features. You’ll experience off-road riding without compromise, thanks to this bike’s exceptional CRF450X foundation, boasting a six-speed transmission and superb chassis geometry. By prioritizing lightness and agility we’ve created a true dirt bike that conquers any terrain effortlessly. From rugged trails to smooth pavement, this rugged machine adapts seamlessly. Say goodbye to the hassle of trucks and trailers – with the CRF450RL the world is yours to explore without limitations. Redefine what’s possible on two wheels!
2024 Honda CRF450RL Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- Lightweight, protective hand guards defend against the elements and trail-side shrubbery
- Lightweight, 2.0-gallon titanium fuel tank
- Riding time maximized by lightweight, compact LED lighting system, featuring a headlight with high-intensity projection for illuminating a broad area
- Rear-view mirrors
- Lightweight lithium-ion battery with increased capacity compared to CRF450R, to power electrical components
- Lightweight, compact digital meter with black characters on a white liquid-crystal background is easily legible while riding
- 450cc liquid-cooled Unicam single-cylinder engine
- Fully street-legal equipment package
- Fuel injection
- Electric starter
- Next-Generation twin-spar aluminum frame
- Six-speed transmission
- Titanium fuel tank
American Honda Announces Return of Championship-Winning CRF Models
- CRF Performance lineup returns for 2024 with nine great models
- Four-model CRF Trail family is back, ready to deliver off-road fun
- Sport-naked CB300R and Pioneer 700 multipurpose side-by-side return
Following one of the most successful AMA Supercross seasons on record, with Team Honda HRC riders Chase Sexton, Hunter Lawrence and Jett Lawrence sweeping all three championships, Honda’s iconic line of CRF Performance and Trail dirt bikes returns for the 2024 model year. Also included in the announcement is the return of the sport-naked CB300R and Pioneer 700 multipurpose side-by-side.
Between the CRF Performance and CRF Trail lineups, Honda offers a wide range of off-road motorcycles that covers nearly every category, from elite-level motocross to family-friendly trail riding. The CRF Performance line includes the CRF450R, CRF450RWE, CRF450R-S, CRF450RX, CRF450X, CRF450RL, CRF250R, CRF250RX and CRF150R, each of which are tailored to push the upper limits in its respective realm of off-road riding and racing. For riders seeking a more relaxed or beginner-friendly experience, the CRF Trail family—including the CRF250F, CRF125F, CRF110F and CRF50F—offer user-friendly design, unmatched reliability, ease of maintenance and hours of fun. In addition to the CRF models, the agile and responsive CB300R brings signature sport-naked styling for 2024, and rounding out the announcement is the middleweight Pioneer 700, a multipurpose side-by-side known for its endless versatility and capability.
“It’s been an unprecedented year for Honda and the CRF Performance line,” said Brandon Wilson, American Honda Manager of Sports & Experiential. “Team Honda HRC has done an incredible job of showcasing just how capable Honda’s dirt bikes are. The knowledge gained from our championship-winning racing efforts trickles down to every model in the lineup, and even to the fun, friendly CRF Trail models, helping owners to make outdoor memories with family and friends.
We’re also pleased to welcome back the CB300R and the Pioneer 700 for 2024. We’re proud to deliver this diverse and capable range of products, offering customers numerous ways to enjoy the outdoors.”
2024 Honda CRF450RL Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
ENGINE / DRIVETRAIN
- 449.7cc Unicam engine specially tailored for trail-to-trail riding
- Finger rocker arm contributes to compact layout while using dedicated design to attain on- and off-road-specific power characteristics. DLC surface treatment reduces friction
- Dedicated valve timing for smooth power delivery in technical riding
- High crank inertia (up 12% over CRF450R) for tractable power delivery in technical terrain
- 12.0:1 compression ratio
- New piston with three-ring design
- Wide-ratio six-speed transmission is ready for a wide variety of off-road terrain and on-road riding
- Special clutch design enables light lever pull. Primary damper mechanism with friction springs suppresses engine torque fluctuations, ensuring smooth running
- Large-capacity radiators with high heat-exchange efficiency for strong performance in demanding off-road conditions
- Electric fan and thermostat control engine temperature in harsh conditions
- ECU with dedicated settings
- Noise emissions minimized via covers on the left and right crank cases
- Powerful AC generator for street-legal lighting
- Air cleaner box
- Dedicated single-muffler exhaust system provides great sound while meeting emissions requirements
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION
- Aluminum twin-spar frame designed for nimble-yet-stable handling on trails
- Subframe designed to ensure optimum rigidity balance appropriate for carrying tools
- 49mm Showa fork with dedicated settings for trail-to-trail riding
- Shock based on that of the CRF450R but with dedicated settings and link ratio for off-road riding
- Front brake uses design from CRF450R, but with additional fade resistance thanks to thicker discs and large-capacity reservoir
- Endless sealed chain withstands the elements
- Front and rear sprockets, produced in durable steel material, feature damper system for smooth, quiet running
- Urethane injection in swingarm to reduce road noise
- Fuel tank cap with a cut-off valve prevents fuel from flowing out of tank if the bike is on its side
- LED turn signals with flexible mounts for durability
- Easily accessible electronic component box on left side of the frame
- Black 7/8-inch Renthal handlebar with red pad
- Compact, lightweight handlebar switches
- In-mold graphics are resistant to peeling caused by washing or abrasion
- IRC GP-21F/GP-22R tires provide great balance of on- and off-road performance
- Black rims for strong presence
FULLY STREET LEGAL & OFF-ROAD CAPABLE
The CRF450RL is equipped with a catalytic converter and is fully street legal in all 50 states—and off-road capable just about anywhere on the planet. That means you can ride it wherever it’s legal to operate a motor vehicle—in state and national parks, on the road, on public lands. Plus, you don’t need to haul your bike to the trailhead in a truck or on a trailer.
An electric start system ensures trouble-free starting in all conditions. The electric starter also drives the clutch side of the crankshaft to provide superior lubrication to starter gears while producing a narrow engine with a short, strong crank.
450cc UNICAM ENGINE
The CRF450RL’s Unicam cylinder-head combines the best of single- and double-overhead-cam designs, and shares its DNA with our championship-winning CRF450R. The configuration saves weight compared to a dual-overhead-camshaft motor, and the camshaft sits lower in the head for a more compact engine and a lower center of gravity. You also get a narrow included valve angle that flattens the combustion chamber for better ignition flame propagation and a high compression ratio.
The CRF450RL features our proven fuel-injection system. It’s part of the reason the CRF450RL offers such excellent torque and spot-on metering and response, especially in the critical low-rpm range. It also automatically compensates for elevation and weather changes.
TITANIUM INTAKE AND EXHAUST VALVES
Lightweight titanium intake and exhaust valves permit use of smaller valve springs, reducing overall engine height.
WIDE-RATIO SIX-SPEED TRANSMISSION
Like our CRF450X, the CRF450RL rocks a wide-ratio six-speed gearbox. That gives you a low gear perfect for tight, slow situations, and a top gear that’s tall enough for highway riding to the next gas stop or trailhead.
The CRF450RL’s dual radiators feature a refined core area for superior heat dissipation compared with conventional dual-radiator designs. A coolant recovery tank is located in front of the engine between the frame downtubes for improved center of mass, and the tank is protected by a plastic skid plate.
The CRF450RL is a “ride anywhere” type of bike, and because conditions vary so widely, we’ve equipped it with a light electric fan for the radiator. Rock crawling or riding on a hot Arizona single-track, it helps keep your engine running cool.
FINAL-DRIVE SPROCKET DAMPER
Designed to keep your bike quieter while not adding any weight, these unique drive sprockets are just another example of the CRF450RL’s innovative engineering.
The CRF450RL’s crank has 13 percent more inertia than the CRF450R. Why? To smooth out power delivery and make the engine more user-friendly in tight, technical situations.
The CRF450RL features an all-LED lighting package, including the headlight. That’s a big deal, because it takes a lot of weight off the front end. And the lighting pattern is also specially designed for both on- and off-road situations.
The LED taillight is integrated into the rear fender. It’s light, compact and rigid.
Light, compact, and offering excellent performance—just like the CRF450RL itself! Conventional batteries are heavy, but not this premium piece. It’s all part of why your CRF450RL performs as well as it does.
The CRF450RL’s factory skid plate is light, yet also offers the engine and lower-frame protection serious riders demand on a machine like this.
TITANIUM FUEL TANK
Holding 2.0 gallons, the CRF450RL’s premium titanium tank is light and tough.
18-INCH REAR WHEEL
The CRF450RL’s 18-inch rear wheel gives you an excellent choice of on/off-road tires.
IRC GP TIRES
The CRF450RL’s tires give you good off-road traction and on-road life. Tires are always a critical part of any on/off-road bike, and we’ve hooked you up with some great ones here.
LOW CENTER OF GRAVITY
The compact Unicam engine and Honda’s famous concentration on center-of-mass engineering help keep the CRF450RL’s center of gravity low. That means the bike feels lighter, and it helps handling too.
This is the same design as our latest CRF450X uses, and that’s a really big deal. It means the CRF450RL is a true off-road bike, and not some compromise. The twin-spar aluminum frame is both light and stiff, and provides the basis for the CRF450RL’s excellent handling. The chassis geometry is specially selected for responsiveness, and also is wider than the standard MX frame to accommodate the six-speed transmission.
WORKS-STYLE FRONT BRAKE
Compact twin-piston front brake caliper, anodized-aluminum brake pistons and lightweight 260mm front disc offer great stopping power while minimizing unsprung weight for improved turning and handling.
WORKS-STYLE REAR BRAKE
HRC works-type rear brake system uses a 240mm brake rotor combined with an integrated rear master-cylinder and fluid reservoir, a set-up that eliminates the separate reservoir and hose.
The 2024 CRF450RL comes with handguards installed right from the factory. They’re fully integrated, too, not like some aftermarket add-ons. They attach right to the control-lever pivots, are color-matched to your new bike, and are even vented.
FUEL MILEAGE METER
An important feature for planning gas stops and calculating your bike’s range under varying conditions, the Fuel Mileage Meter shows current fuel mileage and average fuel mileage as well as fuel consumption. Displays in either miles or kilometers, and applies to both the A and B tripmeters. The Fuel Mileage Meter is in the same digital instrument display as the speedometer, odometer, tripmeters and digital clock.
The Gear-Driven Counterbalancer reduces vibration and drives the water pump.
A sidestand may seem like no big thing, but take a look at the one the CRF450RL uses. Tucked up high and out of the way, this forged alloy piece is just another example of how the CRF450RL gets it right.
Placing the rider’s legs at the narrowest part of the frame helps improve comfort and handling.
WORKS MX STYLING
The “RL” looks like our MX bikes because it’s derived from them—the smooth bodywork makes it easy to move around, and the in-mold graphics not only look cool but are durable, too.
2024 Honda CRF450RL – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $10,099 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $ See Dealer CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ NA GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
|449.7cc liquid-cooled 10º single-cylinder four-stroke
|Unicam OHC, four-valve
|Bore x Stroke
|96.0mm x 62.1mm
|Programmed fuel-injection system (PGM-FI); 46mm throttle bore
|Push-button electric starter
|6-speed wide ratio; manual
|Multiplate wet (6 springs)
|#520 sealed chain; 13T/51T
|49mm fully adjustable leading-axle inverted telescopic Showa coil-spring fork w/ 12.0 in. travel
|Pro-Link system; fully adjustable Showa single shock w/ 11.8 in. wheel travel
|2-piston caliper hydraulic; single 260mm disc
|1-piston caliper hydraulic; single 240mm disc
|IRC GP21 80/100-21 w/ tube
|IRC GP22 120/80-18 w/ tube
|Rake (Caster Angle)
|122mm (4.8 in.)
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride
Specifications subject to change
2024 Honda CRF450RL – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
Engine & Drivetrain
Bore & stroke
96 mm x 62.1 mm
Unicam, 4 valves
PGM-FI electronic fuel injection with 44 mm throttle bore
#520 chain; 13T/51T
Chassis & Suspension
49 mm inverted Showa fork with rebound and compression damping adjustability; 268 mm (10.6 in) travel.
Pro-Link® system; fully adjustable Showa single shock; 300 mm (11.8 in) travel
Dimensions & Additional Information
Front: 80/100 – 21 Rear: 120/80 – 18
Front: 260 mm disc Rear: 240 mm disc
315 mm (12.4 in)
940 mm (37 in)
1,500 mm (59.1 in)
131 kg (289 lb.)
12 months, unlimited mileage
2024 Honda CRF450RL – Totalmotorcycle.com Europe Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).