Introducing the 2024 Kawasaki KX250 50th Anniversary Edition…
The KX250 motorcycle is designed for experienced motocross racers seeking the winning edge with superb power and handling plus readily adjustable ergonomics to make it easy to fit a wide range of riders. The KX250 is built to keep Kawasaki KX motorcycles as the winningest brand in AMA MX/SX racing and the bike that builds champions.
2024 Kawasaki KX250 50th Anniversary Edition Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
NEW FOR 2024
• KX 250 50th Anniversary Edition features throwback graphics, blue seat, white fork guards, and silver rims and triple clamps.
- ELECTRIC START
- CONED DISC-SPRING HYDRAULIC CLUTCH
- FINGER-FOLLOWER VALVE ACTUATION ENGINE
- DIGITAL FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM WITH DUAL INJECTORS
- 3 EASILY CHANGEABLE DFI MAPS
- KAYABA COIL-SPRING FORK AND REAR SHOCK
- SLIM BODYWORK AND ERGONOMICS
- LAUNCH CONTROL MODE
THE BIKE THAT BUILDS CHAMPIONS
Over the last 50 years, the Kawasaki KX brand of motorcycles has helped pave the path to championships for the some of the most popular motocross racers of all time. Today, the KX family remains one of the most dominant motocross and supercross brand of motorcycles available, with the all-new KX450 once again raising the bar. With development cues taken from the Monster Energy Kawasaki factory racing team, the all-new 2024 KX450 is one of the strongest and race-ready machines on the dirt. To commemorate the celebration and success of 50 years of the KX brand, Kawasaki is pleased to announce the release of 50th Anniversary Edition motorcycles. Equipped with a limited retro-inspired KX shroud graphic, a Uni-Trak swingarm graphic, blue seat, silver wheels and white fork guards, the 2024 KX250 50th Anniversary Edition and the KX450 50th Anniversary Edition motorcycles will spark nostalgia and tug at the heartstrings of motocross enthusiasts across the globe.
2024 Kawasaki KX250 50th Anniversary Edition Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
• The piston features the same bridged-box bottom design used on our factory racers. A short skirt, reinforced external ribs and a bridged-box bottom, featuring fully flush internal bracing, results in a lighter, stronger piston.
• Thick cylinder wall for rigidity to prevent deformation and reduce mechanical loss.
• Connecting rod design decreases the piston’s lateral force on the cylinder walls to reduce mechanical loss and contribute to performance.
• Light crank web for quick revs.
• Low-friction plain bearings at the connecting rod big end reduce mechanical loss and help boost power.
• Cylinder offset is 3mm forward to reduce friction and enable more efficient power generation.
• Upright engine orientation helps straighten the intake path. The downdraft-style intake routing fills the cylinder more efficiently, contributing to power production.
• Plateau honing of the cylinder bore provides a smooth surface to help reduce mechanical loss.
• Molybdenum coating on the piston’s outer surface helps reduce mechanical loss and resists wear. Striation helps retain oil to minimize sliding friction.
• Aluminum cylinder with chrome composite plating provides rapid heat transfer, superb wear resistance and optimum lubrication retention for increased performance and durability.
• Semi-dry sump lubrication system for quicker engine response. The majority of oil is stored in the transmission to keep excess oil away from the crankshaft and prevent power-robbing stirring loss. With only a shallow chamber to collect oil at the bottom of the crankcase, where a scavenge pump moves it to the transmission, the crank is located as low as possible to help lower the center of gravity.
• Twin oil pumps ensure proper lubrication and oil scavenging for optimum performance.
• Radiators are turned inward 10˚ which narrows to the KX250’s already slim profile. At transfer, superb wear resistance and optimum lubrication retention for increased performance and durability.
Race-tuned 4-Valve Cylinder Head
• Finger-follower valve train designed by Kawasaki’s multitime World Superbike Championship winning engineers allows aggressive cam profiles and high rev limit for superb high-rpm performance.
• Finger-follower valve actuation reduces valve train mass (intake is 3.5 percent lighter, exhaust is 4.3 percent lighter) compared to tappet-style actuation, as well as reducing friction at the cam lobe. DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) coating on the followers help prevent wear.
• Aggressive camshaft lobes have a chromium nitride coating for durability.
• Straight intake ports contribute to intake efficiency to help boost performance throughout the powerband.
• Special valve seat material helps prevent wear on the titanium valves.
• Located on the exhaust camshaft, the Automatic Compression Release (KACR) allows for easy starting.
KAWASAKI DFI® SYSTEM WITH DUAL INJECTORS
• Big 44mm throttle body diameter flows abundant air and contributes to top-end performance.
• Downstream injector located on the bottom of the intake duct for quick throttle response, while the position and angle the upstream injector matches the airbox design to contribute to top-end performance.
• Tapered intake funnel contributes to top-end performance.
• Intake duct angle optimized for a straight approach for intake air, which improves cylinder-filling efficiency and contributes to performance.
• A Kawasaki innovation introduced in 2012, dual, fine atomizing fuel injectors help deliver both instant throttle response and strong power throughout the rev range. One injector is located downstream of the throttle valve and the second, upstream injector is located close to the airbox.
• The downstream injector provides smooth, instant response while the upstream injector provides the power boost. As rpm and throttle position increase, primary operation switches from the downstream injector to the upstream injector. In lower gears (first and second) the switch is gradual, while in higher gears it is instantaneous.
• 44mm throttle body is compact to shave weight and provides easy starting, sharp throttle response, stable fuel delivery over jumps and whoops, and automatically compensates for changing atmospheric conditions.
• To ensure a stable fuel supply during hard riding the fuel pump features a unitized plastic fuel filter cover.
• Provides the convenience of quick and easy push-button engine starting.
• Powered by a lightweight, compact lithium-ion battery that helps keep weight gain to a minimum.
• Automatic centrifugal compression release system on the exhaust cam lifts one exhaust valve to facilitate starting. The system’s simple construction is light weight and highly reliable
• NOTE: Only use Lithium-ion specific battery charger to help prevent fatal battery damage.
Coned Disc-spring Hydraulic Clutch
Kawasaki’s hydraulic clutch offers more direct feel and lighter lever action. Less play as the clutch heats up during heavy use results in a more consistent feel. The clutch uses a single coned disc spring instead of five coiled springs for light clutch actuation when the lever is pulled and a wide clutch engagement range that helps the rider control the clutch. The friction plates also have offset segments to promote clean separation of the discs to help reduce drag when the clutch is disengaged.
Easy DFI Tuning
• Riders can change DFI settings by simply replacing a coupler located on the right side of the steering stem. Riders can choose between Standard, Hard, or Soft terrain settings to suit riding conditions.
• Further tuning options are available for more advanced users who wish to use the optional Kawasaki
KX FI Calibration Kit (hand held).
Easy-to-Use KX FI Calibration Kit (Optional)
• Accessory KX FI Calibration Kit features a handheld Controller that enables users to adjust engine characteristics trackside simply by plugging the controller into the engine’s ECU.
• The kit’s user interface is easy to understand and easy to use.
• Seven different maps come loaded on the Controller to adjust the ECU to suit track conditions. Additional maps can be created and stored on the hand held controller, or on a PC with data transfer between the Controller and PC performed via SD card.
• When connected to the ECU, the Controller can be used to display the status of a running engine.
• Can be used on all KX models equipped with DFI.
Launch Control Mode
• Similar to the system used on the Monster Energy® Kawasaki factory racers, allows riders to activate a separate engine map designed to assist them get holeshots by pressing a button.
• The Launch Control Mode map retards ignition timing, allowing the tire to gain grip in low traction situations to help riders maximize traction and increase the chance of getting a good start.
• Launch Control Mode has the greatest effect within the first few seconds of releasing the clutch off the start – the most crucial time to get ahead of rivals for better positioning going into the first corner.
• Activated by pressing and holding the launch control button, located at the left handlebar, for two seconds or more while in neutral, first or second gear. When activated, the indicator lamp next to the button flashes quickly to let the rider know the system is engaged.
• The system automatically disengages when the transmission is shifted into third gear, switching back to the normal engine map.
• The Launch Control Mode indicator light also serves as a warning light if the DFI system malfunctions.
Lightweight Aluminum Perimeter Frame
The frame design and construction contributes to the KX250’s light weight, light handling, slim ergonomics and optimum rear wheel traction.
• While many parts are common with the KX450’s frame, cast parts like the shock tower mount and engine hangers were designed specifically for the needs of the KX250.
• Engine is used as a stressed member, contributing to the frame’s rigidity balance.
• Steering head area with optimized rigidity, main frame rail cross-sections, wide lower frame rails and the line for the swingarm brackets contribute to the overall rigidity balance.
• Swingarm delivers the rigidity to match the frame, and contributes to rear wheel traction.
• Chassis balance and settings are all set to suit race-experienced riders.
• The frame is slim at the main spars for easy rider movement.
• Down-tube combines a forged front portion with cast aluminum rear piece for superb front-end feel.
• Composed of a combination of forged, extruded and cast parts, the aluminum frame is designed with a balance of torsional and longitudinal rigidity for quick handling and stability.
• Design emphasis on providing maximum traction under acceleration. Specific chassis dimensions and design (reinforcing ribs, swingarm pivot, output shaft, linkage mounts and rear axle) placed to prevent chassis squat and improve traction.
Kayaba Coil-Spring Fork
• Fork settings match the frame rigidity, contribute to bump absorption performance and help maximize traction.
• High-performance 48mm inverted coil-spring fork has smooth action throughout the fork stroke.
• The large-diameter inner tubes allow large 25mm damping pistons to be used so a firm damping force can be achieved with a lower internal pressure. This allows firmer damping performance and increased riding comfort.
• Kashima Coat creates a hard, low-friction surface on the inside of the fork outer tubes to help prevent wear abrasion and keep the sliding surfaces smooth for a long time. The lubricating material in the coating contributes to smoother suspension action, especially at the initial part of the stroke, and a better ride feel.
New Uni-Trak® Rear Suspension
• Kayaba shock complements the KYB fork.
• Shock settings match the frame rigidity balance to help maximize traction.
• New Uni-Trak® rear suspension mounts underneath the swingarm, allowing additional rear suspension travel yet maintaining a low seat height. The additional travel offers improved suspension action over a wide range of track conditions.
• Dual compression adjustability allows high speed and low-speed damping to be tuned separately.
• The inside of the shock reservoir has friction reducing Kashima Coat for improved suspension action.
• 270mm Braking brand petal front brake disc provides superb stopping power.
• Front master cylinder from the KX450 provides superb initial control while contributing to overall braking performance feedback.
• Front brake pads are also shared with the KX450 for linear brake force application and better control.
• Rear disc diameter is 240mm to optimize performance and contribute to controllability.
Slim, Adjustable Ergonomics
• Elongated design radiator shroud creates a smooth, non-interrupted surface between the rider’s legs to facilitate rider movement.
• The KX graphics use an in-mold process to seal the graphic into the shroud plastic for greater longevity and an ultra-smooth outer surface.
• The top of the fuel tank is low so the seat is flat for freedom of movement and sliding forward on the motorcycle.
• The footpeg brackets can be mounted in two positions, allowing the rider to change footpegs height by 5mm.
• Bodywork features long, smooth surfaces and a flat tank-seat line designed to facilitate rider movement and control.
• Slim shrouds are positioned close to the frame and designed to be slim where they come in contact with the rider’s legs. The single-piece design also enhances the rider’s ability to grip with the legs.
• Green plastic number plates and air box emulate the factory racers look.
• Gold finish on the oil filler, flywheel nut cap and timing inspection cap plus green highlights on the suspension adjusters contribute to factory looks.
• Black wheels, triple clamps, and cylinder head covers complement Kawasaki’s racing lime green color.
• Lightweight magnesium clutch, generator and cylinder head covers
• Optional parts available through Kawasaki dealers include lighter/heavier flywheels, front and rear sprockets, solid brake discs, handlebar holder for 7/8” handlebar, and stiffer or softer fork and shock springs.
2024 Kawasaki KX250 50th Anniversary Edition – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $9,099 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $10,749 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ NA GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine 4-stroke single, DOHC, liquid-cooled
Bore x Stroke 78.0 x 52.2mm
Compression Ratio 14.1:1
Fuel System DFI® with 44mm Keihin throttle body and dual injectors
Ignition Digital CDI
Transmission 5-speed, return shift, with wet multi-disc manual clutch
Final Drive Chain
Electronic Rider Aids Launch Control Mode
Front Suspension / Wheel Travel 48mm inverted telescopic coil-spring fork with 23-way compression damping and 20-way rebound damping /12.4 in
Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel Uni-Trak® with dual-range (2.25 turns high speed/21-way low-speed) compression damping, 38-way rebound damping and adjustable preload/12.4 in
Front Tire 80/100-21
Rear Tire 110/90-19
Front Brakes Single semi-floating 270mm Braking petal disc with dual-piston caliper
Rear Brakes Single 240mm Braking petal disc with single-piston caliper
Frame Type Aluminum perimeter
Rake/Trail 28.0°/4.6 in
Overall Length 86.2 in
Overall Width 32.3 in
Overall Height 50.0 in
Ground Clearance 13.6 in
Seat Height 37.8 in
Curb Weight 227.6 lb* without fuel / 237.7 lb*
Fuel Capacity 1.64 gal
Wheelbase 58.5 in
Color Choices Lime Green
Warranty Not Available
Kawasaki Protection Plus™ (optional) Not Available
2024 Kawasaki KX250 50th Anniversary Edition – Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Engine 249cc, liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC 4-valve single
Bore x Stroke 78.0 x 52.2 mm
Compression Ratio 14.1:1
Fuel System Fuel injection: ø44 mm x 1, with dual injectors
Ignition Digital DC-CDI
Lubrication Forced lubrication, semi-dry sump
Transmission 5-speed, return
Clutch Wet multi-disc, manual
Final Drive Chain
Frame Perimeter, aluminum
Front Suspension / Wheel Travel ø48 mm inverted fork with adjustable compression and rebound damping / 314 mm (12.4 in)
Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel New Uni Trak with adjustable dual-range (high/low-speed) compression damping, adjustable rebound damping and adjustable spring preload / 316 mm (12.4 in)
Rake / Trail 27.1° / 118 mm
Steering Angle (L/R) 42° / 42°
Front Tire 80/100-21 51M
Rear Tire 110/90-19 62M
Front Brakes Semi-floating ø270 mm petal disc with dual-piston caliper
Rear Brake ø240 mm petal disc with single-piston caliper
Dimensions (L x W x H) 2,190 x 820 x 1,270 mm (86.2x 32.3 x 50.0 in)
Wheelbase 1,485 mm (58.5 in)
Road Clearance 345 mm (13.6 in)
Seat Height 960 mm (37.8 in)
Curb Mass** 107.8 kg (238 lb)
Mass Without Fuel 103.2 kg (228 lb)
Fuel Capacity 6.2 litres
2024 Kawasaki KX250 50th Anniversary Edition – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).