Introducing the 2024 Kawasaki Ninja 500…
Kawasaki introduces a new era of lightweight prowess with a motorcycle that is destined to be a source of pride on every ride. The Ninja 500 is more than just a bike; it’s a statement – a symbol of the passion and innovation that define the Kawasaki riding experience. Get ready to hit the road and embrace the joy of riding the all-new lightweight Ninja 500.
NIMBLE SUPERNAKED WITH ADVANCED TECH AND HERITAGE-INSPIRED STYLING
The Ninja 500 provides the kind of performance, handling and lightweight feel expected from a Kawasaki Ninja sportbike, but is delivered in a package that makes everyday riding easy and fun for a wide range of riders. Unlike other lightweight sportbike competitors and its Ninja 400 predessor, the Ninja 500 has more power with its larger displacement engine; while its newly-designed bodywork carries the Kawasaki Racing
Team DNA so it’s firmly in line with its larger-displacement siblings in the Kawasaki Ninja sportbike family!
Embark on a thrilling journey with the latest addition to the Ninja family, the all-new Ninja 500 – an exceptional combination of exhilarating performance, nimble handling, and a lightweight design that redefines the riding experience for all enthusiasts.
Building on the widespread acclaim of the Ninja 250, Ninja 300, and Ninja 400 models, the eagerly anticipated Ninja 500 and Ninja 500 SE enters the dynamic lightweight sport segment ready to turn heads. Boasting an updated engine, a chassis that strikes the perfect balance between agility and stability, and an array of rider-centric features such as a relaxed riding position, LED headlights, and seamless smartphone connectivity, the Ninja 500 is truly built for a range of riders.
With its sharp, aggressive styling synonymous with the Ninja brand, the Ninja 500 motorcycle not only delivers on the promise of excitement but also offers practicality for everyday riders. This new model caters to a diverse range of motorcycle enthusiasts, delivering the thrill of performance that Ninja bikes are known for to any rider that desires it. The Ninja 500 SE motorcycle boasts all the same great features found on the Ninja 500 model as well as the addition of a high-grade full color display with TFT (thin-film transistor) technology, KIPASS (Kawasaki’s Intelligent Proximity Activation Start System), USB-C type outlet, large windshield, and more.
2024 Kawasaki Ninja 500 Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
ADDITIONAL VEHICLE FEATURES:
Assist & Slipper Clutch
Lightweight trellis frame
Uni-Trak® rear suspension
- NEW powerful & rider-friendly 451cc parallel-twin engine
- NEW aggressive Ninja styling w/ new LED headlight & taillight
- NEW high-contrast full LCD instrumentation with smartphone connectivity
- NEW seat shape for a more relaxed, sporty riding position
- Confidence-inspiring reach to the ground
- Assist & Slipper clutch
- Lightweight trellis frame
- LARGER ENGINE DISPLACEMENT OVER THE NINJA 400 BOOSTS PERFORMANCE
- ENGINE IS POWERFUL YET HAS SMOOTH, PREDICTABLE RESPONSE
- ASSIST & SLIPPER CLUTCH HAS LIGHT PULL AND WIDE ENGAGEMENT RANGE FOR EASY USE
- TRELLIS FRAME PROVIDES LIGHT, PREDICTABLE HANDLING AND CONTRIBUTES TO SIGNIFICANT WEIGHT SAVINGS
- LARGE FRONT BRAKE FOR SUPERB STOPPING POWER
- LOW SEAT DESIGN HELPS IMPROVE REACH TO GROUND
- NEW BODYWORK REFLECTS THE KAWASAKI NINJA SPORTBIKE HERITAGE
2024 Kawasaki Ninja 500 Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
The engine of the Ninja 500 undergoes a substantial performance upgrade, building upon the foundation of the Ninja 400 model and harnessing an additional 52cc for a heightened acceleration experience. With a new displacement of 451cc and a bore and stroke measuring 70.0mm x 58.6mm, this compact powerplant not only delivers ample power within a lightweight framework but also plays a pivotal role in the overall narrowness of the bike. This design ensures easy handling and a comfortable reach to the ground for the rider’s feet.
To achieve this enhanced performance, the engine incorporates a downdraft intake system that significantly boosts cylinder-filling efficiency and power, particularly at high rpm. A sizable 5.8-liter airbox, featuring a tall design, maximizes intake efficiency while minimizing unwanted noise. Different heights in the left and right intake funnels contribute to smoothing out torque response, resulting in improved power across the rpm range. Fuel injectors are strategically positioned close to the intake ports, ensuring efficient combustion and a linear throttle response.
Further refinements include Denso stick-type ignition coils, long-reach spark plugs, and an optimized compression ratio, all working in harmony to contribute to increased performance, efficient cooling, and reduced electrical interference. The engine’s innovative design extends to a newly designed balancer shaft, lightweight flywheel, and an Assist & Slipper clutch, collectively offering a light lever feel and instilling confidence for all riders.
Building on the engine of the Ninja 400, the Ninja 500 motorcycle incorporates a 6.8mm longer stroke for increased power and a quicker feeling of acceleration. A new crankshaft, connecting rods, and pistons are introduced to suit the larger displacement, while the optimized compression ratio enhances overall engine efficiency. Notably, the top ring land of the aluminum pistons now features a hard alumite treatment, contributing to higher combustion pressure and further elevating the engine’s performance.
The combination of these advanced technologies and thoughtful design elements makes the engine of the Ninja 500 a standout feature, ensuring a powerful, responsive, and comfortable riding experience for all enthusiasts of this remarkable motorcycle.
A fundamental aspect of the design philosophy of the Ninja 500 centers around a lightweight frame, crucial for achieving a motorcycle that is not only agile but also instills a sense of confidence in the rider. The trellis frame of the Ninja 500 exemplifies this commitment to reduced weight, meticulously crafted to minimize overall mass. The frame strikes a delicate balance, ensuring a light overall weight while maintaining the rigidity and durability synonymous with Kawasaki’s engineering excellence.
The chassis of the Ninja 500 adopts a supersport-style short-wheelbase/long-swingarm configuration, coupled with an optimized trail to deliver a riding experience characterized by light, natural handling. With a short wheelbase measuring 54.1 inches, the Ninja 500 responds with ease to steering inputs, providing riders with a nimble and responsive feel on the road. The optimized swingarm pivot position further enhances the motorcycle’s handling dynamics, drawing inspiration from the characteristics of supersport machines.
Notably, the Ninja 500 employs the engine as a stressed member, utilizing rigid mounts and minimizing mounting brackets to achieve the ideal rigidity for enhanced stability. The swingarm mounting plate, constructed from aluminum diecast, directly bolts to the back of the engine. This unique design eliminates the need for cross members to ensure stability, contributing significantly to the frame’s overall light weight.
The swingarm, crafted from square tubes, further emphasizes the commitment to weight reduction by eliminating unnecessary gusseting. This meticulous attention to detail results in a frame that not only embodies Kawasaki’s performance standards but also maintains a lightweight profile without compromising on structural integrity.
The collaborative efforts in designing both the engine and frame have resulted in a remarkably low curb mass of only 377 lbs. This lightweight construction not only enhances the overall performance of the Ninja 500 but also facilitates easy handling and maneuverability, making it a standout choice for riders seeking a dynamic and accessible riding experience.
The Ninja 500 features a robust 41mm telescopic front fork that defines excellence in suspension action. This rigid front fork not only provides an exceptionally planted feel to the front wheel but also facilitates effortless direction changes, even when the bike is upright – a valuable feature for maneuvering through traffic. The suspension system delivers a plushness typically associated with larger displacement bikes, ensuring a comfortable and responsive riding experience. The rigid front forks eliminate the need for a fender brace, contributing to weight savings, while the choice of a conventional telescopic fork further minimizes any potential increase in overall weight.
Complementing the front suspension, the Ninja 500 utilizes a bottom-link Uni-Trak rear suspension with 5-way preload adjustability. This allows riders to fine-tune the stiffness and ride height according to individual body weight or when riding with a passenger. The shock’s adjustability is conveniently accessible through the on-board tool kit, offering riders the flexibility to tailor the bike’s performance to their preferences. The front and rear suspension settings have been meticulously optimized to accommodate the new displacement and weight of the Ninja 500, ensuring an optimal balance that enhances stability and responsiveness, particularly during braking and acceleration-induced pitching scenarios.
BRAKES AND WHEELS
The Ninja 500 is equipped with a high-performance braking system that ensures precise and controlled stopping power. The front braking system features a large 310mm semi-floating disc gripped by a balanced actuation dual-piston caliper, providing effective braking force. The front brake master cylinder is newly designed for enhanced rigidity, contributing to the elimination of an ineffective (idle) stroke and thereby improving overall controllability. At the rear, a 220mm disc is complemented by a dual-piston caliper with large 27mm pistons, ensuring responsive and reliable braking performance.
Careful consideration was given to the dimensions and material of both front and rear brake hoses, selected to deliver excellent brake feel. For added reassurance, the ABS models of the Ninja 500 are equipped with a Nissin ABS control unit specially developed for motorcycles. This unit ensures precise control while maintaining a compact and lightweight profile.
The Ninja 500’s stylish star-pattern 5-spoke wheels, reminiscent of the Ninja 650 motorcycle, play a pivotal role in achieving a lightweight profile. Their optimized lateral rigidity enhances overall handling and contributes to cornering stability. These wheels not only serve a functional purpose but also contribute to the bike’s aesthetically pleasing and agile appearance. Additionally, the radial tires on the Ninja 500 provide a balance of light weight and excellent grip and contribute to both agile handling and riding comfort. The 150mm rear tire adds to the bike’s imposing rear end, completing the overall design with a touch of style and performance.
The Ninja 500 prioritizes rider comfort and control through thoughtful ergonomic design. With an elevated handlebar position and slightly foot-forward footpeg placement, the bike achieves a relaxed rider triangle suitable for various riders and riding scenarios. This intuitive fit fosters immediate confidence, providing comfort and control right from the first sit, while the clip-on handlebars and grips with a slight down angle enhance both comfort and sporty aesthetics.
The large-volume bodywork of the Ninja 500 not only offers excellent wind protection but also promotes efficient airflow around the rider, contributing to overall ride comfort. The fuel tank, slim between the rider’s legs, ensures good contact with the bike, while its 3.7-gallon capacity strikes a balance between low weight and a sufficient cruising range for daily riding or touring. The seat, featuring low-rebound urethane and ample padding, delivers superb comfort with a flat overall shape. With a comfortable 30.9-inch seat height and supersport-style aluminum footpegs positioned slightly forward for a relaxed riding position, the Ninja 500 offers a well-rounded ergonomic experience that caters to both comfort and control, making it an ideal choice for various riding preferences.
The Ninja 500 epitomizes the iconic aesthetic, showcasing a redesigned front end that exudes excitement and high-class sophistication. Its large-volume bodywork aligns seamlessly with the Ninja family’s larger-displacement models, embodying Kawasaki’s commitment to quality. The compact LED headlights, akin to those on the new Ninja ZX™-6R sportbike, contribute to the bold image of the Ninja 500. The deep-set position of the reflectors creates a fierce expression, enhanced by black extensions between the low- and high-beams, contributing to a high-quality finish.
The bodywork of the Ninja 500 creates the visual impression of a machine from a class larger than 500cc, instilling a commanding “big bike” look and feel. A newly designed upper cowl envelops the headlights, adding to the bike’s strong visual style, while two spoilers below the headlight complete the aggressive look. The mirrors, positioned high and far apart, offer an excellent rearward field of vision, and the bodywork features large painted surfaces, contributing to the bike’s high-class image.
Its sporty appearance is further accentuated by a compact supersport-style fuel tank design, a sharp front fender, and aggressive rear turn signals. The built-in front turn signals seamlessly integrate into the design, and both front and rear turn signals use clear lenses for a high-quality look. The LED taillight, sporting an all-new design, provides a modern and updated aesthetic. In essence, the Ninja 500 is a visual masterpiece, combining sleek design elements with aggressive styling to create a motorcycle that stands out in the 500cc class.
HIGH GRADE COCKPIT
The Ninja 500 boasts an all-new high-contrast LCD instrument panel with thoughtful display placement. The instrument panel includes a distinctive bar-style tachometer that extends over the speedometer, providing a clear view of essential information. Display functions are comprehensive, featuring an odometer, gear position indicator, fuel gauge, dual trip meters, remaining range, current and average fuel consumption, coolant temperature, clock, connected device notifications (Bluetooth, mail, telephone), service indicator, and the economical riding indicator.
The economical riding indicator is a standout feature that actively appears on the LCD screen to signal favorable fuel consumption conditions. This feature serves as a valuable tool for riders to optimize fuel efficiency by paying attention to the indicated conditions. The LCD screen incorporates original Kawasaki fonts, delivering easy-to-read information to riders during their journeys. With its extensive range of features and user-friendly design, the LCD instrument panel elevates the riding experience, providing riders with comprehensive information at a glance while enhancing the overall aesthetic appeal of the motorcycle.
Harnessing the power of Bluetooth technology, the Ninja 500 offers riders seamless wireless connectivity to their motorcycle. Leveraging the dedicated smartphone application RIDEOLOGY THE APP*, this innovative feature unlocks a myriad of functions, enhancing the overall motorcycle experience. Whether it’s monitoring performance metrics, receiving notifications or customizing settings, Bluetooth connectivity allows riders to stay connected to their bike in a modern and intuitive way.
- Vehicle info: battery voltage can be viewed via the smartphone
- Riding log: GPS route information as well as vehicle running information can be logged and viewed via the smartphone
- Telephone notices: when a call or mail is received by the smartphone, this is indicated on the instrument display
- Communication sharing: rider profile, location and riding logs can be shared with other RIDOLOGY THE APP users, allowing riders to interact with other like-minded riders
- Maintenance log: maintenance history like refuelling, lubrication, oil changes, consumable parts replacement, and periodic inspections can be managed
Parallel Twin Engine
The engine has a rider-friendly character, smooth response and abundant low-end torque for low-stress everyday riding, but at highway speeds its Kawasaki Ninja motorcycle lineage is apparent.
• Based on the Ninja 400 engine with a 6.8mm longer stroke for increased power and quicker feeling of acceleration.
• New crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons and optimized compression ratio were incorporated to suit the larger displacement.
• The top ring land of the aluminum pistons now has a hard alumite treatment to achieve higher combustion pressure.
• Downdraft intake tract provides a short, direct path for intake air to enter the cylinder, improving cylinder-filling efficiency and contributing to power, especially at high rpm. The downdraft intake also helps eliminate space under the seat so that it could be designed to provide an easier reach to the ground.
• Large airbox contributes to intake efficiency for more power. The airbox design helps the rider more clearly hear the engine’s intake note during
• Unequal height of the intake funnels help smooth throttle response by tuning out torque valleys.
• The 32mm throttle valves are oval shaped so that their closed position is at an angle, which contributes to quick throttle response as the valves open quickly from initial valve rotation.
• Fine-atomizing injectors positioned close to the throttle valves allows them to spray fuel directly onto the valves, which contributes to combustion efficiency and linear throttle response. 27.7mm intake and 23.5mm exhaust valves contribute to performance at all engine speeds.
• Oil jets cool the underside of the pistons, enabling a lighter piston design.
• Aluminum die-cast cylinder has an open deck design for excellent heat dissipation and reduced engine weight. Cylinders are sleeveless with plated bores.
• The cylinder is tilted forward 20 degrees to help reduce overall engine height.
• Lightweight flywheel lets the engine rev quickly for sharp response and direct power feeling.
• Revised machined balancer shaft to suit the larger displacement helps offset engine vibration for a more comfortable ride.
• Exhaust system’s large-diameter end pipe contributes to high-rpm performance.
• Radiator fan cover directs hot air out to the sides and away from the rider for increased comfort when riding in heavy traffic. It also helps keep the tank, frame and other parts that the rider contacts cooler, further increasing comfort.
• The Assist & Slipper Clutch(KP) is compact, and its operating plates help reduce lever pull for an extremely light feel at the lever. A wide engagement range helps make it easy to control.
• Using the rotational forces of the clutch hub and pressure plate, the clutch is forced together during acceleration (assist function) so that fewer and lighter clutch springs can be used for a lighter feel at the lever. During high back torque, such as when too low of gear is selected during downshifting, the slipper function allows some clutch slippage to help prevent rear wheel hop and stalling due to engine lock-up.
• Increased clutch capacity matches the larger displacement
Lightweight Trellis Frame
Trellis frame is similar in design to that of the Ninja H2. Kawasaki’s advanced dynamic rigidity analysis was used to ensure optimum rigidity with minimal weight, so the frame significantly contributes to the bikes low overall curb mass.
• Supersport-style chassis design has a short wheelbase and long swingarm complemented by a steep steering angle that provides light, nimble handling.
• Square-tube swingarm construction provides rigidity without unnecessary gusseting, which contributes to weight savings.
• Die-cast aluminum swingarm mounting plate bolts to the back of the engine for the swingarm pivot shaft, essentially allowing the swingarm to be mounted directly to the engine. This eliminates the need for additional frame cross members for torsional rigidity which reduces weight.
Bottom-link Uni-Trak(KP) rear suspension linkage ratios and shock settings enhance the ride feel.
• 41mm fork provides rigidity and smooth suspension action so the front wheel has a better planted feel.
• Large 310mm semi-floating front disc is gripped by a balanced actuation dual-piston caliper. The large front brake disc size provides strong stopping power.
• Rigid front brake master cylinder helps eliminate idle stroke for a more positive feel.
• Rear dual-piston caliper with large pistons clamps a 220mm rear petal disc.
• Anti-lock braking system (ABS) models feature Nissin’s latest compact ABS control unit that assists braking under certain conditions.
• Stylish star-pattern 5-spoke wheels are light and their optimized lateral rigidity adds cornering performance for great handling.
• Radial tires provide excellent grip while contributing to agile handling and ride comfort. Big 150mm rear tire size adds an imposing appearance.
• Clip-on handlebars are mounted above the upper triple so the elevated position and slightly foot-forward footpeg location results in a relaxed, natural riding position that is comfortable and confidence inspiring.
• Slim fuel tank promotes good contact with the bike for enhanced rider feedback.
• Low-rebound seat cushioning has ample padding in the front so the seat has a flat overall shape for ride comfort.
• Supersport-style aluminum footpegs provide direct feel for enhanced rider feedback.
• All-new front-end design is highlighted by the compact hybrid projector/reflector LED headlights, also found on the Ninja ZX™-6R. The low beams are compact projector lamps with mono-focus LED technology, while the high beams and position lamps are reflector-type lighting.
The deep-set position of the reflectors of the unlit portion of the headlights makes them appear dark for a fierce expression.
• New upper cowl encases the headlights and provides an appearance of strength, and the chin spoilers below the headlights complete the aggressive look and maintain the Kawasaki Ninja sportbike family style.
• Large-volume bodywork also continues the Kawasaki Ninja style and helps give the Ninja 500 a “big bike” look and feel.
• The bodywork features large painted surfaces for a rich, elegant appearance.
High-Contrast LCD Instrumentation
• Full LCD instrument panel features a bar-style tachometer that goes over the digital speed readout and other displayed data.
• Display functions include speedometer, digital bar- style tachometer, gear position indicator, clock, odometer, dual trip meters, fuel gauge, remaining fuel range, current and average fuel consumption, Economical Riding Indicator to notify when riding conditions are producing favorable fuel consumption, coolant temperature, maintenance reminder and connected device notifications.
• RIDEOLOGY THE APP Smartphone Connectivity †Do not operate smartphone while riding
• A Bluetooth chip built into the instrument panel enables riders to connect to their motorcycle wirelessly. Using the smartphone application “RIDEOLOGY THE APP,” a number of instrument functions can be accessed, contributing to an enhanced motorcycling experience.
• Available functions:
• Vehicle Info: Battery voltage can be viewed via the smartphone.
• Riding Log: GPS route information as well as vehicle running information can be logged and viewed via the smartphone.
• Telephone notices: when a call or mail is received by the smartphone, this is indicated on the instrument display.
• General Settings: general instrument display settings (such as preferred units, date, date format, etc) can be adjusted via the smartphone.
• Once vehicle information has been downloaded to the app, it can be viewed on the smartphone. Available information includes: odometer, trip A, trip B, fuel gauge, remaining range, average gas mileage, average speed, battery voltage, Kawasaki service reminder, oil change reminder, etc.
• Detailed riding logs including GPS information and vehicle running information can be recorded. While riding, the app tracks vehicle speed, rpm, gear position, current mileage, and coolant temperature from moment to moment. Once the riding log has been paired, riders can review these items in a graphic-style display at any point along the route. The app can also display a ride summary, with information that may include: route travelled, total distance, total time, gas mileage (best/average), speed (best/average). For either display mode, riders can select which items are displayed, and can arrange them in their preferred order.
• When riding with the app ON the bike and smartphone are always connected. When the engine is turned off, the latest riding information stored by the app may be viewed on the smartphone.
2024 Kawasaki Ninja 500 – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $5,299 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $ NA CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ NA GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine Type 4-Stroke, Liquid-Cooled, DOHC, 4 Valve Cylinder Head, Parallel Twin
Bore & Stroke 70.0 x 58.6 mm
Maximum Torque 31.7 lb.-ft @ 7,500 rpm
Compression Ratio 11.3:1
Fuel Injection DFI w/ 32 mm Throttle Bodies (2)
Ignition TCBI with Digital Advance
Transmission 6-Speed with Positive Neutral Finder
Final Drive Sealed Chain
Rake/Trail 24.5˚/3.6 in.
Front Wheel Travel 4.7 in.
Rear Wheel Travel 5.1 in.
Front Tire Size 110/70-17
Rear Tire Size 150/60-17
Wheelbase 54.1 in.
Front Suspension 41mm Hydraulic Telescopic Fork
Rear Suspension Bottom-Link Uni-Trak@, Gas-charge shock with adjustable Preload
Front Brake Type Single 310mm Disc with 2-Piston Balanced Actuation Caliper
Rear Brake Type Single 220mm Disc with 2-Piston Caliper
Fuel Tank Capacity 3.7 gal.
Seat Height 30.9 in.
Curb Weight= 374.9 (ABS)/379.3 (SE ABS)/370.4(Non-ABS) lb.
Warranty 12 Month Limited
Kawasaki Protection Plus™ 12, 24, 36 or 48 months
Specifications subject to change without notice.)
= = Includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90% of capacity) and tool kit (if supplied).
When equipped, 50-state models with evaporative emissions equipment adds approximately 2.2 pounds.
Ask about the Riders of Kawasaki (ROK) Club and the Good Times™ Credit Plan.
(KP) = See Kaw-Pedia section for more details.
* = Changes from previous model year.
** Also available as a 50-state model with the last character ending in “L”
2024 Kawasaki Ninja 500 – Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
2024 Kawasaki Ninja 500 – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).