Click on photos to enlarge.
It makes a great desktop image.
– 2003 Honda VFR800FA Interceptor ABS
Could this be the most advanced motorcycle on the planet? VTEC variable valve timing broadens the VFR800FA’s power band, the high-tech PGM-FI electronic fuel injection ensures crisp throttle response while the catalytic convertor reduces emissions. Voted the World’s Best Streetbike as well as receiving the Ten Best Award for Best Open-Class Streetbike in Cycle World magazine, the Interceptor sets a new world standard for sportbike touring with its powerful VTEC engine, thrilling V-4 performance and legendary Honda quality.
The VFR800FA adds the safety of anti-lock brakes to the VFR800F’s repertoire.
Exclusive to VFR800FA
· Optional anti-lock brakes allow surer, safer stopping under various road and riding conditions.
· VFR800FA also incorporates a convenient remote preload adjustment knob for the rear shock.
· Revolutionary VTEC(tm) combines the power characteristics of both two-valve and four-valve cylinder head designs. The engine runs on two valves per cylinder below 7000 rpm and then switches to four valves per cylinder, delivering significantly stronger low-end and mid-range torque, while maintaining the Interceptor’s impressive high-rpm power delivery.
· Silent-type cam-chain drive eliminates mechanical gear noise and reduces engine weight by a remarkable 3.0 kilograms. The system features a set of dual tensioners that maintain optimal pressure, and lubrication for the camshaft chains, ensuring quiet operation and even longer life than the previous gear-drive design.
· Programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) uses four laser-drilled 12-hole injectors, replacing the previous one-hole injector design, creating much finer fuel atomization for improved combustion efficiency, reduced emissions and increased power.
· Iridium-tip spark plugs are ignited by new, compact high-energy coil-on-plug spark plug caps that produce a strong, high-voltage spark.
· Unique NR(tm)-style center-up exhaust system incorporates two stainless steel mufflers tucked snugly under the Interceptor’s tail section.
· Clutch features an offset outside friction plate for quieter operation when starting from a stop.
· Three-phase coil-spring damper in the transmission smooths upshifts.
· Large-diameter, 43mm Honda Multi-Action System(tm) (HMAS(tm)) cartridge front fork provides enhanced handling under all riding conditions.
· Four brilliant multi-reflector headlights employ two centrally positioned H4 low/high beams positioned under two widely spaced H7 high beams for brilliant nighttime illumination.
· 22-litre fuel capacity.
· Compact, 781cc DOHC 90° V-4 with an oversquare bore and stroke of 72mm x 48mm.
· Combustion chambers feature an 11.6:1 compression ratio and are fed by programmed fuel injection through short, straight intake ports.
· Interceptor engine serves as a stressed member of the pivotless frame, which features specially designed engine mounting bolts tuned to work in harmony with the damping characteristics of the frame.
· Aluminum composite cylinder sleeves are high-pressure-formed from sintered aluminum powder impregnated with ceramic and graphite. The composite sleeves provide better wear resistance and superior heat dissipation compared to conventional sleeves.
· Forged aluminum pistons feature LUB-Coat solid lubricant to minimize friction between piston and cylinder wall.
· Auto-enriching system is integrated into PGM-FI module, optimizing the air/fuel mixture on cold starts and eliminating the need for a manual choke.
· Solenoid-operated dual-air-intake-duct design keeps one duct closed during low-speed operation to ensure optimal control of air intake velocity.
· Dual side-mounted radiators maximize cooling efficiency using low-air-pressure areas created by side cowls to draw cooling air through the radiators. During low-speed operation, a thermostat-controlled left-side fan pulls cooling air across the radiator into the fairing, keeping hot air away from the rider.
· Rugged 125mm-diameter eight-plate clutch offers light weight and high load capacity.
· Exceptionally smooth-shifting six-speed transmission.
· Triple-box-section twin-spar aluminum frame features a tuned, pivotless design that isolates the engine-mounted swingarm from the frame and contributes to handling comfort.
· Interceptor’s beautiful Pro Arm single-side cast aluminum swingarm, mounted to the engine, provides an optimal balance of rigidity and tuned flex for superb handling.
· Pro-Link rear suspension features a 40mm gas-charged HMAS shock with 120mm of travel and adjustable spring preload and rebound damping. The Pro-Link arm is anchored directly to a cast aluminum bracket on the rear of the engine case.
· Linked Braking System (LBS) uses a second master cylinder and a proportional control valve (PCV) to couple the three-piston calipers of the dual-front and single-rear brake discs for even better braking feel, while providing the peace of mind of an LBS system. Using the front brake lever activates the outer two pistons of the left-side front caliper, all three pistons of the right-side caliper and the center piston of the rear caliper. Rear pedal engagement activates the two outer pistons of the rear caliper and the center piston in the left-front caliper.
· The Interceptor’s 296mm floating front brake discs feature a lightweight seven-spoke inner rotor design, further reducing unsprung weight.
· U-section cast aluminum wheels are light and reduce unsprung weight.
· The six-spoke, 3.5-inch-wide front wheel carries a 120/70ZR-17 radial tire. The five-spoke, 5.5-inch rear wheel sports a large, low-profile 180/55ZR-17 radial tire.
· The Interceptor’s sleek, aerodynamic bodywork is functional as well as beautiful.
· Air flowing through a central air vent under the front windshield provides cool air to the rider at low speeds and increases rider comfort at higher speeds.
· High-tech instrument display includes electronic tachometer, LCD readouts for speedometer, air temperature, coolant temperature, odometer, two tripmeters, and clock.
· ACG output of 463 watts.
· Detachable seat offers access to space to carry U-lock and other necessities. (Lock not included.)
· Removable passenger seat cowl.
· Adjustable brake and clutch levers.
· Injection-molded nylon passenger grabrails are comfortable to the touch in cold or hot weather.
· Folding aerodynamic mirrors.
781cc liquid-cooled 90 degree V4
Bore and Stroke
72mm x 48mm
VTEC DOHC; four valves per cylinder
PGM-FI with automatic enrichener circuit
#530 O-ring-sealed chain
43mm HMAS cartridge fork with spring preload adjustability; 110mm travel
Pro Arm single-side swingarm with Pro-Link single HMAS gas-charged shock with seven-position spring preload and rebound damping adjustability; 120mm travel
Dual full-floating 296mm discs with LBS three-piston calipers
Single 256mm disc with LBS three-piston caliper
120/70 ZR-17 radial
1458mm (57.4 in.)
805mm (31.7 in.)
220 kg (483 pounds)
22 litres (4.8 gal.)
Specifications are subject to change without notice, in accordance with national regulation and legislations.