2000 Honda VTR1000S RC51
Back to 2000 Honda Motorcycle Index Page
Click photo to enlarge.
It makes a great desktop image.
– 2000 Honda VTR1000S RC51
The all-new Honda RC51 is destined to dominate Superbike racing the world over. This incredible V-twin introduces a new chapter in Honda’s storied racing legacy. Now, affordable world-class racing performance is available to enthusiasts seeking the most powerful, best-handling production-based Superbike.
Features & Benefits
· The RC51 ram-air engine is engineered to dominate Superbike competition.
· Prodigious power is produced across a broad engine-rpm band, peaking with 130 bhp at 9500 rpm and 71 lb./ft. of torque at 8000 rpm in street-legal trim.
· Completely new twin-spar extruded aluminum frame features a modified Pro Frame™ design utilizing a combined swingarm pivot that incorporates both engine-crankcase and frame-mounted swingarm pivot points.
· Advanced, high-pressure programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) with two injectors per cylinder and electronic digital ignition maximize power output and offer immediate throttle response in any gear.
· Distinctive bodywork features a dual-headlight design, a narrow-profile fuel tank and a single-piece tail section.
· Three optional HRC Racing Kits upgrade the RC51 engine and suspension for race track competition.
· 999cc DOHC eight-valve 90-degree V-twin engine is specially designed to withstand the rigors of Superbike competition.
· Centrally mounted ram-air intake duct routes cool, pressurized air directly through the frame’s steering head structure to the 10-liter airbox, improving intake efficiency while slimming the aerodynamic profile. The ram-air duct doubles as a front cowl stay, shaving 12 ounces off of a conventional mounting system.
· Each cylinder head features large, 40mm intake and 34mm exhaust valves with a 24-degree included valve angle. This provides a short, direct path for the air/fuel charge entering the combustion chamber and results in high power output.
· Gear-driven camshafts utilize three-axis drive gears to maintain accurate valve timing and durability at sustained high engine speeds.
· Innovative head gaskets minimize distortion caused by head bolt tightening, improving sealing performance and maintaining combustion pressure for consistent high power output in competition conditions.
· Direct shim-under-bucket valve actuation system ensures high-rpm durability, and allows 16,000-mile valve maintenance intervals.
· High-pressure programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) delivers fuel at 50 psi to two injectors per cylinder, mounted opposite each other in huge, 54mm throttle bodies. Fuel is delivered through four nozzle tips in each injector, producing a very fine spray and a highly combustible air/fuel charge for maximum combustion efficiency and power output.
· Cast aluminum pistons are screen-printed with solid LUB-Coat finish to minimize friction between the piston and cylinder wall.
· RC45™-inspired aluminum composite cylinder sleeves are high-pressure-formed from sintered aluminum powder impregnated with ceramic and graphite. The lightweight composite sleeves provide better wear resistance and superior heat dissipation compared to conventional sleeves.
· Nutless connecting rods feature bolts threaded directly into tapped holes in rods. Design is lighter than conventional bolt-and-nut combination. Carburized rods provide strength and durability under high loads.
· Crankshaft center lubrication system carries oil to main and connecting rod bearings through passages in the crankshaft as well as conventional journals, allowing lower main gallery oil pressure and a smaller oil pump design, consuming less horsepower at high engine speeds.
· Electronic CPU provides digital 3-D fuel injection and ignition maps for each cylinder, creating ideal fuel mixture and spark advance settings for maximum power and throttle response.
· Iridium-tipped spark plugs require less voltage and maintain ignition performance in demanding conditions.
· Side-mounted dual radiators utilize low pressure of airflow passing over outer surface of cowling to draw air through from the inside. Side positioning allows optimal placement of engine for low center of gravity and superb handling and permits flow of air to reach cylinders and exhaust pipes for enhanced cooling efficiency.
· Aluminum water pump.
· Air-cooled aluminum oil cooler.
· Magnesium head cover, clutch cover and left rear sprocket cover.
· All-stainless two-into-one-into-two exhaust system with two 5.3-liter canister-style mufflers featuring a buffed finish.
· New seven-plate clutch design is compact and tough, featuring durable friction plate material.
· Smooth-shifting close-ratio six-speed transmission features ratios carefully matched to the engine’s power band.
· Durable #530 O-ring-sealed drive chain.
· Totally new, twin-spar extruded aluminum frame weighs 25.8 pounds and features a modified Pro Frame design utilizing a swingarm pivot that incorporates both engine-crankcase and frame-mounted pivot points. The frame sideplates extend underneath the swingarm and join to form a D-shaped swingarm mounting enclosure. This combination provides an extremely rigid chassis while offering excellent road feel.
· Tapered and braced box-section swingarm provides exceptional lateral and torsional rigidity.
· New 43mm inverted aluminum-slider Honda Multi-Action System (HMAS™) cartridge fork features spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability, and offers precise action and superb rigidity.
· Pro-Link™ rear suspension features a high-quality 40mm HMAS shock with integrally cast damper reservoir. Spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability produce superior rear wheel control.
· Braking system features 320mm front discs floating on seven stainless steel pins with four-piston calipers, and a 220mm rear disc with a single-piston caliper for exceptional stopping power.
· Lightweight aluminum-alloy wheels have six U-shaped HRC-style spokes and feature race-spec 3.5-17-inch front and 6.0-17-inch rear dimensions.
· Removable aluminum rear subframe.
· Fuel tank designed with sculpted indents for knees, arms and handlebars.
· Unique bank-angle sensor shuts off fuel supply to PGM-FI system if the motorcycle tips over, but is unaffected by bumps and vibration during normal operation.
· High-output, 448-watt AC generator.
· Smaller, lighter and electrically quieter regulator/rectifier eliminates interference with sophisticated PGM-FI and ignition circuitry.
· Improved battery design is lighter, yet maintains output capacity for a longer period when inactive.
· Dual-headlight features computer-designed multi-reflectors and two 55W H7 bulbs behind clear plastic lenses, providing a broad lighting pattern and superb illumination.
· Lightweight instrument display includes electronic LCD tachometer and speedometer, LED low fuel indicator, odometer, tripmeter and temperature gauge.
· Redesigned front brake lever has a new compact adjuster design and incorporates the return spring in the master cylinder, reducing overall weight by 5 ounces.
· Convenient ignition switch/fork lock for added security.
· Lightweight, recyclable oil filter cartridge.
· Transferable one-year unlimited-mileage limited warranty.
· Tank pad.
· Magnetic tank bag.
· Cycle cover.
999cc liquid-cooled 90-degree V-twin
Bore and Stroke
100mm X 63.6mm
10.8 : 1
DOHC, 4 valve, shim under bucket
PGM-FI with two injectors per cylinder
Computer-controlled digital with 3-dimensional mapping
O ring chain
43mm inverted cartridge fork with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustablity; 130mm travel
Pro-Link single shock with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability; 120mm travel
Dual full-floating 320mm discs with four-piston calipers
Single 230mm disc with single-piston caliper
813mm (32.0 in.)
1410mm (55.5 in.)
196 kg. (432 lbs.)
18 litres (3.8 Imp. Gal)
Specifications are subject to change without notice, in accordance with national regulation and legislations.