2009 Honda GL1800AD (Airbag) Gold Wing
Back to 2009 Honda Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2009 Honda GL1800AD (Airbag) Gold Wing
2009 Honda GL1800AD (Airbag) Gold Wing
Pack up, hop on, and head out for somewhere you’ve never been before. The Honda GL1800 Gold Wing will make getting there way more than half the fun. The world’s most luxurious touring motorcycle comes with an amazing list of premium features, including an industry-first airbag on the GL1800AD model that adds an extra measure of safety in the event of a frontal impact. Both the GL1800AL and GL1800AD also boast linked Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), a GPS navigation system, heated seats and handgrips, a premium audio system, ultra-low emissions, and, of course, the silky smooth power of a horizontally opposed six-cylinder engine.
Call this the fully loaded Gold Wing. This bike has Premium Audio, all-new TPMS and XM Radio, Navigation, ABS—with arguably motorcycling’s most revolutionary breakthrough in years: Honda’s groundbreaking airbag system, the first of its kind on a production bike. Proof again that the Gold Wing doesn’t just set the bar—it raises it.
Long acknowledged as the pinnacle of touring motorcycles, the legendary Honda Gold Wing expands its already-impressive resume of luxury amenities with the addition of XM Radio featuring XM real time traffic and weather reporting capabilities, plus an automatic tire pressure monitoring system.
Features & Benefits
New for 2009
XM Radio offers 170 channels from coast to coast, including commercial-free music, premier sports, news, talk radio, comedy, children’s and entertainment programming.
XM NavTraffic is the nation’s leading real-time traffic information service, combining up-to-the-minute information on accidents and incidents with the ability to reroute riders around trouble spots as displayed on the navigation system screen.
The XM NavWeather service uses sophisticated Threat Matrix™ technology to track nationwide weather information for more than 20 different weather conditions, then scales and customizes this detail to the rider’s specific location and route. XM NavWeather can alert riders to severe conditions before they ride into them. The service works with the Navigation System to display information via color weather icons or warning signals on the navigation screen, and can give the rider the option to easily re-route around a storm’s path. The service also provides multi-day forecasts based on weather monitoring stations across the United States.
The Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) monitors pressure in both tires while riding. When low tire pressure is detected, a warning light will display below the tachometer.
– New colors include Candy Black Cherry, Pearl Yellow, Metallic Silver, Deep Blue Metallic,
Metallic Titanium, and Metallic Blue (2009 special color†).
– Honda Satellite Linked Navigation System™
– Fully integrated navigation system with color screen.
– Complete United States and Canada mapping with points of interest installed.
– Points-of-interest information includes Honda dealers, fuel stations, restaurants, lodging, attractions, transportation, government and emergency information and saved rider’s input with home function.
– Voice prompting through headsets or speakers.
– On-screen text guidance and pop-up menus.
– Easy-to-use handlebar and fairing-mounted controls.
– Navigation available on select Gold Wing® models.
– Cold-Weather Comfort Package
– Five-position heated grips for cold-weather riding.
– Five-position heated seat/backrest combination with individual rider and passenger controls for optimum comfort.
– Foot-warming system channels engine-heated air over the rider’s feet and is controlled by a fairing-mounted lever.
Standard on all Gold Wing® models.
– State-of-the-Art Premium Audio System
– 80-watt-per-channel power amplifier provides clear, crisp sound at all highway speeds.
– Six-element speaker system includes two rear speakers, a pair of front speakers and two tweeters for a rich, full sound quality.
– Tuner features auto bass control combined with auto volume control.
– Industry-first fully integrated rider airbag on a motorcycle.
– The airbag module contains the airbag and inflator and is positioned in front of the rider.
– The airbag Electronic Control Unit (ECU), positioned to the right of the module, analyzes signals from the crash sensors to determine hether or not to inflate the airbag.
– Four crash sensors attached two per side on the front fork detect changes in acceleration caused by frontal impacts.
– From the moment an impact is recognized as a collision, only 0.015 seconds elapses until the airbag inflation is activated.
Airbag available only on full-featured version.
– A complete line of bolt-on accessories and appearance items.
– Powerful, fuel-injected 1832cc six-cylinder engine produces smooth, effortless power.
– Low, forward engine placement and solid engine-mounting produce excellent road handling characteristics and impressive low-speed maneuverability.
– High-pressure-formed, sintered-iron Nickalloy crankshaft bearing caps provide quiet operation throughout the engine’s operating-temperature range.
– Parallel two-valve cylinder-head design utilizes direct shim-under-bucket valve actuation allows the first valve clearance inspection service to be at 32,000 miles.
– Silent-type camshaft chains with automatic adjusters provide reliable, maintenance-free operation.
– Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) (see Technology Section)
– Two 40mm-diameter throttle bodies deliver air to six specially designed Keihin 50-psi high-pressure programmed fuel injectors (PGM-FI). Fuel is delivered through four nozzle holes in each injector, producing an atomized fuel mixture that is highly combustible for optimum efficiency and power.
– The ECU provides two digital 3-D fuel-injection maps for each cylinder, creating ideal fuel mixture and spark advance settings for superb rideability. Unique knock-control sensors monitor ignition advance to improve performance throughout the entire rpm range.
– ECU closed-loop emissions system utilizes two oxygen sensors to constantly deliver a precise air/fuel mixture, while two exhaust catalyzers further reduce emissions of carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides.
– Rotary Air Control Valve (RACV) maintains precise idle control under widely varying engine loads and operating temperatures.
– Compact water pump is mounted behind the engine and is driven directly by the crankshaft, contributing to quicker engine warm-up.
– Engine cooling system features a series-flow coolant pattern that offers cold-start rideability and provides rapid engine warm-up.
– Two side-mounted radiators enhance cooling efficiency and use low-air-pressure areas created by side cowls to draw cooling air through the radiators and beyond the rider at highway speeds.
– Sturdy eight-plate clutch with maintenance-free hydraulic-assist.
– Efficient stainless-steel six-into-two exhaust system produces a pleasing, aggressive sound.
– Powerful 1300-watt alternator uses a fluid damper system to minimize alternator noise.
– Precise-shifting five-speed transmission includes Overdrive Fifth.
– Twin-Spar Aluminum Frame (see Technology Section)
– Inherently smooth flat-six-cylinder Gold Wing engine also serves as a tuned stressed frame member. The solid engine-mounting system utilizes specially designed hangers and carefully matched mounting bolts to provide both excellent road feel and minimal engine vibration.
– Unique Pro-Arm® Rear Suspension (see Technology Section)
– Dual full-floating 296mm front discs with Linked Braking System™ (LBS™) three-piston calipers and a single ventilated 316mm rear disc with one LBS three-piston caliper provide excellent braking power.
– Linked Braking System (LBS) combined with Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) (see Technology Section)
– Model equipped with ABS features an electric-motor-driven modulator that provides rapid and precise braking-pressure adjustments, resulting in smooth ABS operation. The system incorporates an integrated ECU, self-diagnostics with an interactive ECU test function and automatic protection against system failure.
– Massive 45mm front fork houses a cartridge damper in the right leg with 5.5 inches of travel for a smooth yet superb ride in all road conditions.
– Antidive system minimizes front fork dive when braking. The system utilizes brake-fluid pressure generated in the secondary LBS master cylinder mounted on the left fork leg and is activated by input from either the front brake lever or the rear brake pedal. This application of antidive and LBS produces enhanced stability when maneuvering at both low speeds and highway speeds.
– Pro-Link® Rear Suspension (see Technology Section)
– Computer-controlled adjustable hydraulic rear suspension preload is easily set by the rider with push-button controls, and features a two-position memory.
– Unique driveshaft-damping system utilizes a double-pipe structure with a rubber-bonded coating applied to the inner pipe to absorb road shock and engine torque. The long-life design simplifies rear-wheel maintenance.
– Final gearcase assembly design in the Pro Arm eliminates wheel alignment splines and ensures accurate alignment of the rear wheel after servicing.
– Cast-aluminum 18 x 3.5-inch front wheel and 16 x 5.0-inch rear wheel are lightweight and strong. Radial touring tires are specifically engineered for the Gold Wing, providing a combination of excellent traction, cornering grip and long tire life.
– The parallel two-valve cylinder-head design, together with side-mounted radiators, allows optimum ergonomics, with excellent rider foot room and a large passenger cockpit.
– Slow-speed, electric Reverse system is engaged with the simple push of the thumb control on the right handlebar.
– Lightweight electronic cruise-control system utilizes a 16-bit ECU-controlled, motor-actuated throttle mechanism.
– The Gold Wing’s aerodynamic bodywork is functional as well as beautiful, providing excellent rider wind protection while reducing the aerodynamic drag coefficient.
– A simple yet ingenious ratcheting windscreen-adjustment system provides six settings over nearly 4.0 inches of travel. Operated manually, the mechanism eliminates the weight and complexity of electric motors.
– Adjustable and closeable windscreen vent routes fresh air to the rider’s face or chest.
– The Gold Wing trunk provides 60 liters of storage capacity with an additional 5 liters of storage available if the optional CD changer is not installed. Two full-face helmets fit easily in the trunk. The saddlebags provide 40-plus liters of storage each, resulting in a total of 147 liters of storage space.
– The saddlebag lids feature hydraulic dampers for smooth operation.
– Specially designed luggage features a remote-control key lock, permitting pop-open rear trunk operation; remote lock/unlock for the trunk and saddlebags; and horn-actuated bike locator. If remote locking is attempted while a lid is open, the emergency lights flash to alert the rider.
– Pockets are located in the fairing and rear trunk for convenient, easy-access storage.
– Soft-touch plastic elastomer provides a luxurious feel to the front console, front- and rear-pocket covers and the passenger armrests.
– Ergonomically designed saddle with a low 29.1-inch seat height has a plush passenger seat with integral backrest and side support for all-day riding comfort.
Instrument cluster includes white-on-black analog displays for speedometer, tachometer, coolant temperature and fuel level, plus features adjustable backlighting and high-luminescence red pointers. Indicator/warning lights are provided for Reverse, Neutral, Overdrive, oil pressure, fuel injection, high beam, sidestand, cruise on, cruise set and low fuel. A high-resolution LCD housed in a separate module is visible in all lighting conditions and displays the odometer, A/B tripmeter, ambient temperature, audio modes, CB, rear-suspension setting, trunk/saddlebag-open indicators and a clock.
– Motorized headlight-aiming system is operated by a dial switch and provides 2.5 degrees of adjustment from level.
– Large 6.6-gallon fuel tank houses the PGM-FI fuel pump and provides excellent long-distance cruising range.
– Headlight system features two 55-watt H7 low-beam and two 55-watt H7 high-beam bulbs with computer-designed multireflectors. In high-beam operation, all four bulbs produce a distinctive front lighting signature.
– Engine and saddlebag guards help protect the Gold Wing’s bodywork in case of a tip-over.
– Silver powdercoated finish helps ensure the Gold Wing’s aluminum frame will remain beautiful for years to come.
– Maintenance-free features include automatic choke, RACV automatic idle, programmed fuel injection, automatic cam-chain adjusters, sealed battery, electronic cruise control and computer-controlled hydraulic rear spring preload adjustment.
– Handsome two-piece aluminum handlebars are lightweight and strong.
– Adjustable brake and clutch levers.
– Clear lenses on rear turn signals and running lights complement the Gold Wing’s aggressive styling.
– Self-canceling turn signals.
– Fully illuminated handlebar and radio switches.
– Handlebar switches and controls use easy-to-understand graphic symbols.
– Dual electric spiral horns trumpet a distinctive note.
– 20-amp YTX maintenance-free battery.
– Dual helmet locks.
– Fold-down antenna for easy storage.
– Padded passenger handrails.
– Easy-to-use centerstand.
– Convenient ignition switch/fork lock for added security.
– Transferable three-year, unlimited-mileage warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
– Purchase of a new, previously unregistered Honda USA-certified unit by an individual retail user in the United States qualifies the owner for a one-year complimentary membership in the Honda Riders Club of America® (HRCA®).
Honda Genuine Accessories
– Audio Accessories: Six-Disc CD Changer, CB Radio Kit, CB Antenna, Audio Headsets (for open-face and full-face helmets), Passenger Audio Controller.
– Air Management Accessories: Tall Windscreen, Windscreen Side Air Deflectors.
– Functional Touring Accessories: Chrome Heated Grips with Thermostat, Foglight Kit (two types: Halogen or LED), 12v Accessory Socket Kit, Passenger Armrest, Coin Holder, Saddlebag Cooler, Rear Spoiler (color matched) with LED Brakelight.
– Touring Convenience Accessories: Removable Saddlebag/Trunk Liner Set (available in standard and deluxe types), Trunk Net, Saddlebag/Trunk Mat Set, Seat Weather Cover, Cycle Cover, Front Nose Mask, Trunk Inner Light, Inner Trunk Pouch, Trunk Lid Organizer, Saddlebag Lid Organizer, Fairing Pouch.
– Chrome Appearance accessories: Front Fender Ornament, Front Fender Extension, Front Disc Cover, Passenger Floorboard Lower Covers, Side Fairing Accent, Trunk Rack, Front Fender Rail, Saddlebag Scuff Pads, Sidestand, Exhaust Tips (two styles), License-Plate Frame, Swingarm Pivot Covers, Trunk Handle, Rear Spoiler Accent.
† Limited color run, less than 500
2009 Honda GL1800AD (Airbag) Gold Wing – USA Specifications
MSRP: 25,599 USD
Engine Type 1832cc liquid-cooled horizontally opposed six-cylinder
Bore and Stroke 74.0mm x 71.0mm
Induction Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)
Ignition Computer-controlled digital with three-dimensional mapping
Compression Ratio 9.8:1
Valve Train SOHC; two valves per cylinder
Transmission Five-speed including Overdrive, plus electric reverse
Final Drive Shaft
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION / BRAKES
Front Suspension 45mm cartridge fork with anti-dive system, 5.5-inch travel
Rear Suspension Pro-Arm single-side swingarm with Pro-Link single shock with computer-controlled spring-preload adjustment with two memory presets; 4.1-inch travel
Front Brake Dual full-floating 296 mm discs with LBS three-piston calipers
Rear Brake Single ventilated 316 mm disc with LBS three-piston caliper
Front Tires 130/70R-18
Rear Tires 180/60R-16
Rake 29.15 degrees
Trail 109.0mm (4.3 inches)
Wheelbase 66.5 inches
Seat Height 29.1 inches
Curb Weight 895 – 928 pounds, depending on option packages selected
Fuel Capacity 6.6 gallons (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride.)
Emissions Meets current CARB and EPA standards.
Available Colors Candy Black Cherry, Pearl Yellow, Metallic Silver, Deep Blue Metallic, Metallic Titanium
Model ID GL1800 Airbag
Note Satallite-Linked Navigation System, XMRadio, Airbag, ABS
FACTORY WARRANTY INFORMATION
Three Years Transferable, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
2009 Honda GL1800AD (Airbag) Gold Wing – Canada Specifications
MSRP: $30,849 CDN
Engine Type Liquid-cooled horizontally opposed six-cylinder
Displacement 1,832 cc
Bore & Stroke 74 mm x 71 mm
Compression Ratio 9.8:1
Valve Train SOHC, 2 valves per cylinder
Fuel Delivery PGM-FI fuel injection
Transmission Five-speed including overdrive, plus electric reverse
Final Drive Shaft
Front Suspension 45 mm cartridge fork with anti-dive system; 122 mm (4.8 in.) travel
Rear Suspension Pro Arm single-sided swingarm with Pro-Link single shock with computer-controlled spring preload adjustment and two memory presets; 105 mm (4.1 in.) travel
Tires 130/70R – 18 radial front; 180/60R – 16 radial rear
Brakes Front 296 mm discs with three-piston calipers; rear single 316 mm disc with three-piston caliper. Dual-Combined Brake System with ABS
Seat Height 739 mm (29.1 inches)
Wheelbase 1,690 mm (66.5 inches)
Curb Weight 420 kg (926 lb) including required fluids and full tank of gas – ready to ride
Fuel Capacity 25 litres
Colour Candy Black Cherry, Mesquite Brown Metallic, Monterey Blue Metallic, Dark Grey Metallic