2009 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4X4 Diesel
Back to 2009 Kawasaki ATV Quad Models Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2009 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4X4 Diesel
2009 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4X4 Diesel
Diesel power, Mule ruggedness and power steering smoothness with a bold new look
Already a proven performer with its reliable and robust diesel engine, automatic transmission, tilting cargo bed, and selectable four-wheel drive, the Kawasaki Mule™ 4010 4×4 Diesel utility vehicle now mates its muscular yet agile workhorse capabilities with an all-new rugged appearance. The truck-like look of this off-road performer belies the ease of handling made possible by its electric power steering (EPS).
The EPS offers a more controlled ride by reducing steering effort at low speeds and harnessing its electric motor’s inertia to dampen much of the bump steer and kickback caused by impacts to the wheel. Electrically driven, the motor is controlled by an Electronic Control Unit (ECU) that uses input from a vehicle speed sensor and torque sensor to determine the amount of assistance provided by the system. This system works immediately after the engine is started, yet doesn’t create a power drain on the engine.
The new bodywork on the Mule 4010 4×4 Diesel utility vehicle is similar in style to many modern pick-up trucks that are often working alongside the Mule. The body panels are durable, color-molded plastic that helps hide scuffing. The front hood of the Mule 4010 Diesel can be lifted with the pull of a dash-mounted knob to reveal a now deeper storage space, which also has convenient D-rings to secure cargo. Located beneath the front bumper are winch-ready tabs for an easy winch installation.
At the core of the Mule 4010 4×4 Diesel is its liquid-cooled, 953cc three-cylinder diesel engine that produces high torque at low engine rpm. The diesel engine is matched to the Kawasaki Automatic Power-Drive System (KAPS). It’s a continuously variable transmission (CVT) that features a high and low range, reverse, and helps keep engine rpm in the most efficient range for any selected=”true”=”true”=”true” vehicle speed, load, or terrain. It yields a wide drive ratio spread for ample pulling power and quick acceleration. Large torque converters maximize belt engagement area and improve heat dissipation, boost strength and durability, and are aided by the use of a thick, strong drive belt and sheaves with high silicon-type material.
The KAPS also features a high-flow cover helping to cool the CVT while providing superb splash protection and water-proofing. This reliable system uses a dependable, low-maintenance shaft drive to transmit power to a dual-mode rear differential that can be locked to maximize traction, or unlocked to minimize ground disturbance when making tight turns. The operator can also select four-wheel drive for extra pulling power in difficult conditions.
Wear is further reduced by cooling the torque converter with filtered air, courtesy of a special air cleaner that uses an easily replaceable filter element and an efficient intake cooling fan to draw sufficient air into the CVT.
The engine air cleaner is a cyclone-type Donaldson unit with a replaceable paper element. This efficient design needs less frequent cleaning, even with repeated use in extremely dusty off-road conditions. The 4×4 Diesel is equipped with a gauge that indicates when the filter should be changed.
Helping the filter stay clean and last longer—especially in the rugged conditions for which this Kawasaki was built—the engine air and converter cooling air are drawn from the top of the cab frame, where there’s less dust.
The Mule 4010 4×4 Diesel also possesses straightforward user-friendly controls. The high/low-range, forward/reverse shift and the four-wheel drive selector levers are all placed within easy reach on the dash. The coolant temperature warning light is easy to see, and a push-button control activates the headlights. Other standard features include an hour meter and horn on the dash and a fuel gauge on the gas tank.
The chassis of the Mule 4010 4×4 Diesel is a ladder-type frame that rides on MacPherson struts up front and a DeDion rear leaf-spring suspension that work to carry heavy loads, stay light and maneuverable over rough terrain, and provide a smooth ride when the cargo bed is empty. Four hydraulically operated, self-adjusting drum brakes that are sealed to protect from water, mud and other debris provide stopping power, and 23-inch tires offer a comfortable ride and maximum traction over a variety of surfaces.
Other standard features include the large-diameter steel tube frame structure that meets federal Roll Over Protective Structure (ROPS) requirements, a 6.4-gallon fuel tank, spin-on oil filter and a U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor in its muffler. The Mule 4010 4×4 Diesel utility vehicle can carry up to 1,100 pounds in its steel cargo bed and can tow up to 1,200 pounds with an optional draw bar. Other popular accessories include an enclosed cab, cab heater, snow plow, and soft or hard tops. These and many other Authentic Kawasaki Accessories are available through Kawasaki dealers.
Features and Benefits:
At a glance…
– All-New Styling
– Electric power steering system (EPS)
– Diesel Performance and Economy
– Fully Automatic Transmission with Selectable 2- or 4-Wheel Drive
– Liquid-cooled, three-cylinder diesel engine produces incredible torque: 38.3 lb-ft @ 2,800 rpm and exceptional fuel economy
– Perfect for commercial job sites where diesel fuel is readily available
– Exhaust pipe routing allows easy hydraulic lift kit installation
– Overhead valve design maximizes efficiency
– Cast iron block and head ensure extreme durability
Environmentally Friendly Emissions
– Positive crankcase ventilation system sends blow-by gasses to the intake tract to be burned in the engine
– Muffler features a U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor
Cyclone-Type Engine Air Cleaner
– Cyclone design is effective and needs less frequent cleaning even in extremely dusty conditions
– Restriction gauge tells when to change the filter
– Donaldson® air cleaner has a replaceable paper element
Cab Frame Air Intake
– Draws engine air and converter cooling air from the top of the cab frame where there’s less dust, so the air filters last longer
Heavy-Duty Battery and Alternator
– 52 amp-hour battery ensures positive starts while the high-output, 40 amp alternator keeps the battery charged
Kawasaki Automatic Power-Drive System (KAPS)
– Fully automatic continuously variable transmission (CVT) features forward high and low and reverse, and helps keep the engine in the right operating rpm for a variety of vehicle speeds, loads, or terrain
– The CVT has a wide spread of drive ratios for quick acceleration and ample pulling power
– Large drive and driven torque converters maximize engagement area of the thick and strong drive belt for improved heat dissipation and add durability
– High-flow cover helps cool the CVT while providing superb splash protection and water proofing
– Sheaves with high silicon type material for increased durability
Torque Converter Air Filter
– Efficient intake cooling fan draws plenty of air into the CVT
– Special air cleaner with easily replaceable filter element cuts torque converter wear by cooling it with filtered air
– Strong bevel gear set and rear axle for increased durability
– Locked mode for maximum traction, unlocked mode to minimize ground disturbance
Limited-Slip Front Differential
– Allows great traction with low steering effort
Four-Wheel Drive with Two-Speed Transfer Case
– Selectable four-wheel drive gives the operator traction options
– Shift to four-wheel drive and low range for maximum traction in adverse conditions or select two-wheel drive and high range to cut gear wear and increase fuel economy
Electric Power Steering (EPS)
– The EPS system reduces steering effort, especially at low speeds when turning effort is greatest
– The electric motor’s inertia significantly reduces bump steer and kickback to the steering wheel caused by shocks to the wheels for a more comfortable and controlled ride
– Input from vehicle speed and torque sensors determine the amount of steering assistance required from the system’s motor
– No power steering pump, so there is no power loss from the engine
– EPS only operates when the engine is running to keep from draining the battery
Independent Strut-Type Front Suspension
– MacPherson strut long-travel front suspension provide a comfortable ride and excellent load-carrying capability
DeDion Rear Suspension
– Overload-style leaf springs can handle heavy loads, yet provide a smooth ride when the cargo box is empty
– Semi-independent action
Self-Adjusting, Sealed Hydraulic Drum Brakes
– Four wheel drum brakes are self-adjusting and feature extra sealing for protection against mud, dust and debris
– Hood, fenders, front guard, lights, cab frame and cargo bed have modern pick-up truck styling for sharp appearance
– Dashboard comes with speedometer, hourmeter, fuel gauge and oil pressure warning light standard
– Large storage tub under the hood with four D-rings to secure the load
Tilting Cargo Bed
– Steel cargo bed can carry up to 1,100 pounds and tilts for quick unloading
– Thick tailgate panel and secure latching tailgate locking pins reduces vibration and noise, and adds durability
Rugged and Capable
– Can tow up to 1,200 lbs with optional Kawasaki draw bar
– Meets federal Roll Over Protective Structure (ROPS) requirements for wheeled tractors under SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.4, and 7.5, and also meets FMVSS 216 roof crush resistance requirement
– Bench seat can carry up to two
– Durable chassis includes winch-ready mounts to simplify winch installation
– Crankcase oil level dipstick under the seat
– Automotive-type, spin-on oil filter
– Coolant, battery electrolyte level sight gauges
– 12V DC outlet with 10 amp capacity
– The 2WD / 4WD lever is mounted on the dash for easy access
– Relocated parking brake and coolant temperature warning lights are easy to see
– Shift lever with Y-gate pattern eliminates need for Hi-Lo switch lever
– Push-button headlight switch activates 35-watt cat-eye headlights
– Hour meter, fuel gauge and a horn are standard equipment
Popular Accessory Items
– Soft or Hard Top
– Enclosed Cab
– Cab Heater
– Snow Plow
2009 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4X4 Diesel – USA Specifications
American MSRP: $10,599
Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, three-cylinder, overhead valve diesel
Bore x stroke: 72 x 78mm
Compression ratio: 24.8:1
Air filter: Snorkel-type with cyclone-type two-stage dry replaceable element
Oil filter: Automotive-type spin-on canister
Ignition: Compression with glow plugs for starting
Electrical: 12V DC, 52 amp-hour battery, 40 amp alternator
Transmission: Kawasaki Automatic Power-Drive System (KAPS), with reverse, dual range, 2WD/4WD
Final drive: Shaft, selectable four-wheel drive with dual-mode rear differential
Exhaust: Muffler with USFS-approved spark arrestor
Tires: 23×11-10 tubeless
Front suspension / wheel travel: Independent, MacPherson strut / 3.9 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: Semi-independent, DeDion axle with leaf springs and shocks / 2.8 in.
Steering: Electric power steering assisted rack-and-pinion
Brakes: Four-wheel hydraulic drums, sealed
Fuel capacity: 6.4 gal.
Curb weight: 1,598 llbs.
Overall length: 118.3 in.
Overall width: 62.0 in.
Overall height: 75.8 in.
Wheelbase: 73.6 in.
Ground clearance: 6.9 in.
Roll over protective structure (ROPS): This structure meets ROPS requirements for wheeled tractors under SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, and 7.5. This structure also meets FMVSS 216 Roof Crush resistance requirement
Cargo bed dimensions (LxWxH): 46.3 x 51.6 x 11.3 in. / 15.6 cu. ft.
Load capacity: 1,632 lbs.
Cargo bed capacity: 1,100 lbs.
Towing capacity: 1,200 lbs.
Turning radius: 11.2 ft.
Top speed: 25 mph, governed
Instruments: Parking brake warning light, coolant temperature warning light, horn, 12V DC outlet, (2) 5/21-watt taillight/brake light, (2) 35-watt sealed-beam headlight, speedometer
Color choices: Woodsman Green, Dark Royal Red
2009 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4X4 Diesel – Canada Specifications
Canadian MSRP $0
Not available in Canada
The specifications mentioned here apply to and have been achieved by production models under standard operating conditions. We intend only to give a fair description of the vehicle and its performance capabilities but these specifications may not apply to every machine supplied for sale. Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. reserves the right to alter specifications without prior notice. Equipment illustrated and specifications may vary to meet individual markets. Available colours may vary by market. Note: Specifications and pricing are subject to change.