2012 Kawasaki Teryx 750 FI 4×4 Sport
Back to 2012 Kawasaki ATV Quad Models Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2012 Kawasaki Teryx 750 FI 4×4 Sport
2012 Kawasaki Teryx 750 FI 4×4 Sport Review
The Premium Hot Rod RUV with Maximum Performance
Bumpy desert two-tracks. Rutted fire roads. Unpredictable backwoods trails. These are the native habitats of the Teryx™ 750 FI 4×4 Sport, the hot rod of the Kawasaki Teryx recreation utility vehicle lineup. With its lightweight alloy wheels controlled by high-end, gas-charged shocks, the Teryx offers a superior level of wheel and chassis control, even through rough terrain. That control translates into more four-wheeling fun.
The Teryx Sport’s piggyback-reservoir shocks are fully adjustable for spring preload, compression damping and rebound damping, meaning that riders can get the most out of this advanced suspension by tuning it to their desired settings. Shocks on all four wheels make quick work of rugged terrain.
Durable and reliable power is the name of the RUV game, and nobody can touch the Teryx Sport’s 749cc 90-degree 8-valve V-twin. This engine is not only plenty powerful, its also supremely smooth thanks to the 90-degree configuration’s perfect primary balance. This design offers unmatched smoothness at any rpm – and a great exhaust note that sets the Teryx apart from lesser RUVs. A robust cooling system with a large cooling fan and a large diameter hose make the engine even more reliable.
The Teryx’s high-end suspension units are easy to appreciate even when you’re not moving. The aluminum-bodied gas-charged piggyback-reservoir shocks are fully adjustable for spring preload, compression damping and rebound damping for maximum tunability and control of its lightweight aluminum wheels. Each wheel is a whopping two pounds lighter a standard Teryx wheel, and this 8-pound difference in unsprung weight is easy to feel at speed.
The Teryx Sport’s advanced digital fuel-injection system includes functions for automatic elevation compensation, automatic idle adjustment and easy, choke-free starting via a sophisticated array of sensors for inlet air pressure, throttle position, crankshaft position, rpm, water temperature and a vehicle down sensor. There’s also an ignition cut-out, which won’t allow the Teryx Sport to be ridden away when the parking brake is engaged. This braking system technology complements the Teryx’s CVT Belt Protection System, which, among other good things, automatically retards ignition timing if the system detects engine operation at high rpm for more than two seconds while the rear wheels are motionless (i.e., the belt is slipping), and warns the rider via a flashing belt warning lamp on the dash.
All that electronically enhanced performance is perfectly packaged within an advanced chassis that’s narrow enough to navigate the gnarliest trails (and fit in a standard pickup bed), yet wide enough to offer a roomy cab and an excellent ride. The wide-track design frame uses large-diameter, thin-walled tubing to combine tremendous rigidity with light weight. And the upper frame adds great looks and protection, while providing enough room inside to fit two full-sized adults in a comfortable but supportive pair of bucket seats with retractable three-point seat belts.
Once comfortably strapped in, the rider can choose 2WD or 4WD with the flip of a switch, and Kawasaki’s super-efficient continuously variable transmission takes it from there, to practically anywhere you feel like going. A cockpit-adjustable variable front differential control even lets you fine-tune front-end traction.
Long-travel independent suspension, those fully adjustable gas-charged shocks at all four corners, a rear stabilizer bar and mid-ship engine placement all work together to tame tough trails, while a high-performance long A-arm double-wishbone suspension design reduces camber changes for sharp steering at all times. When it’s time to slow down, dual discs up front and a high-tech sealed oil-bath braking unit out back get the job done with power to spare, while Kawasaki Engine Braking Control uses clever electronics to assist with engine braking when driving down hills. Custom 26-inch Maxxis tires designed for the Teryx’s characteristics are the final ingredient in its amazingly potent handling package.
A large selection of authentic Kawasaki Accessories are available through Kawasaki dealers for the 2012 Teryx 750 FI 4×4 Sport RUV. As with all off-highway vehicle recreation, Kawasaki encourages RUV drivers to drive responsibly and to respect the environment.
2012 Kawasaki Teryx 750 FI 4×4 Sport Features and Benefits:
Exclusive Teryx 750 FI 4×4 Sport features:
– High-performance cast aluminum wheels remove approximately two pounds of unsprung weight from each corner for a performance boost you can feel
– High-performance aluminum-bodied gas-charged piggyback-reservoir shocks at all four corners are fully adjustable for spring preload, compression damping and rebound damping for a completely tunable ride
– Teryx’s liquid-cooled, 749cc SOHC, 4-valve-per-cylinder fuel-injected, 90-degree V-twin engine cranks out class-leading power
– Oversquare (85 x 66mm) engine with 4-valve heads contributes to the Teryx’s superb acceleration and torque
– The 90-degree V-twin configuration offers perfect primary balance, resulting in low engine vibration
– Aluminum cylinders are Electrofusion-plated for light weight, long wear and excellent heat dispersion
– Engine can be started in any gear, as long as the brake pedal is depressed
– Electronically controlled Kawasaki Engine Brake Control helps to slow the RUV when traversing down hills
– The engine is positioned mid-ship, providing optimum front/rear balance and optimum traction
– Ducts located by the cargo bed direct cooling air to the engine, while a heavy-duty liquid-cooling system keeps temperatures under control in the harshest conditions
– Large-capacity radiator is compact and placed high in the chassis for protection against mud and debris; a larger cooling fan increases cooling capacity in slow going.
– Ignition cut-out feature protects the brake system by preventing riding with the parking brake on
– Coolant reserve tank is located under the front cover for easy maintenance
Digital Fuel Injection system
– Digital fuel injection enhances throttle response and automatically adjusts for changes in temperature and elevation for optimum performance in a wide range of environments
– The fuel injection system is controlled by a 32-bit CPU and continually monitors coolant temperature, air intake temperature, throttle position, air intake pressure, vehicle speed and crankshaft angle to automatically meter out the ideal amount of fuel via two 34mm throttle bodies for extremely stable power delivery – regardless of conditions
– FI systems permits easy engine starting at low temperature and utilizes an Automatic Idle Speed Control and Automatic Fast Idle function to help ensure smooth engine warm up
– The high-pressure fuel pump located inside the tank features a unique reservoir chamber at the bottom of the fuel pump that ensures air does not get into the fuel system
– Specific Teryx-sized throttle bodies and optimized ignition timing have maximized low and mid-range torque and ensure excellent response at high rpm
Kawasaki Automatic Power-Drive System CVT
– Featuring high and low ranges, plus reverse, this advanced continuously variable transmission provides a direct feel from the engine and instantaneous acceleration – ideal characteristics for sport riding
– Transmission utilizes a high-grade, super-durable belt designed to handle the high output of the engine. The drive converter shaft is hard chrome-finished for durability
– The CVT Belt Protection System prevents tire freewheel, improves rocky terrain performance and reduces belt overloading by adding Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) data to the system
– Unnecessary belt wear is minimized with a system that reduces engine speed if the engine operates at high rpm for more than two seconds while the rear wheels are motionless
– A large intake duct, located to keep water and debris out, provides plenty of cooling air to the CVT
– Heat shielding on the exhaust pipe below the intake duct keeps intake temperature down
– High-performance, aluminum bodied, fully adjustable, piggyback reservoir, gas-charged Kayaba shocks provide excellent fade-resistant damping performance in the toughest conditions while providing 7.5 inches of plush, controlled wheel travel
– Independent rear suspension provides an ideal balance of rider comfort and handling at high speeds
– Rear torsion bar helps minimize body roll
Lightweight Aluminum Wheels and Large 26-inch Tires
– Lightweight cast aluminum wheels offer great looks and cut unsprung weight by two pounds per wheel
– 26-inch MAXXIS tires developed specifically for the Teryx help provide great traction and handling
Selectable Four-wheel-drive / Variable Front Differential Control
– Selecting two
– or four-wheel-drive is as easy as pressing a switch located on the dash; electrically selectable 2WD/4WD system engages instantly
– Limited-slip front differential reduces steering effort under normal four-wheel drive operation, while Variable Front Differential Control permits the rider to distribute torque equally to left and right front wheels for maximum traction via a hand lever located between the seats
– Rear gear case keeps rear wheels locked and turning together for maximum forward thrust
– Large-diameter thin-walled tubular steel frame combines high rigidity, light weight and mid-engine placement – a perfect combination for performance riding
– Tubular cab frame meets SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.4, and 7.5, requirements as a roll-over protective structure (ROPS)
– Performance-focused suspension is designed for high-performance riding
– Wide track helps provide a great ride, but unit is narrow enough to fit in a standard pickup truck bed
– Chassis has 11.6 inches of ground clearance, which strikes a perfect compromise between great low-cg handling and the ability to clear tough off-road obstacles
– Narrow frame concept maximizes the length of the front and rear suspension’s lower A-arms for excellent road-handling performance and minimal geometry change throughout the suspension’s travel
– Chassis serves up a near-perfect balance of bump absorption and taut steering
– A hinged, forward-tilting front hood and headlight assembly highlights aggressive styling and allows quick access to the radiator and front suspension components for easy maintenance and suspension tuning
– The tilt bed’s frame is engineered with extra rigidity for a high degree of durability
– Dual front 200mm disc brakes gripped by rigid-mount 27mm twin-piston calipers provide powerful, fade-free braking and solid feel. The discs are tucked inside the wheels, where they’re protected from debris
– Kawasaki’s sealed, oil-bathed multi-disc rear brake system provides maximum stopping power in almost any condition along with reduced maintenance thanks to its being completely sealed from outside contaminants
– The sealed rear brake’s compact design contributes to excellent ground clearance
Tilting Cargo Bed
– With 500-pound capacity, tilting cargo bed, tie-down hooks in all four corners, a standard cargo net and generous dimensions, the Teryx is as functional as it is fun to ride
– Gas-assist struts help facilitate bed cleaning and maintenance
– Reinforced bed frame offers maximum rigidity for excellent durability
– Making maximum use of its cockpit space, the Teryx provides plenty of shoulder and legroom to comfortably accommodate two adults
– Form-fitting bucket seats and retractable three-point seatbelts help provide a comfortable ride
– The padded steering wheel is positioned low for sport riding and provides additional driver protection
Multi-Function Digital Display
– Standard on all models, the Multi-Function Display includes a digital speedometer (mph or kph), clock, dual trip meters plus 2WD/4WD indicator, water temperature and fuel-injection warning indicators, digital fuel gauge, hour meter, parking brake indicator, CVT belt temperature warning, neutral, reverse and low oil pressure warning lights
– Thermoplastic Olefin bodywork has a beautiful high-gloss finish that’s more scratch-resistant than polyethylene—so it stays great-looking longer
– Engine and undercarriage guards provide maximum protection from rocks and debris
– Teryx’s battery and electric parts are located higher and further away from water and harm’s way
– Dual 40W headlights and 8/27W dual taillights mean you’ll see and be seen
Range / Transportability
– Large, 7.4 gal. (28L) fuel tank and excellent fuel efficiency provide the range campers and hunters need to get deep into the bush – and back again
– Even with its wide track and large tires, the Teryx is compact enough to fit in the bed of most full-size pickup trucks
2012 Kawasaki Teryx 750 FI 4×4 Sport – Specifications and Technical Details
US MSRP*: $12,099 – $12,499 USD
Canadian MSRP*: $TBA CDN
Engine Liquid-cooled, 90-degree, four-stroke V-twin
Valve System SOHC, four valves per cylinder
Starting System Electric
Bore x Stroke 85 x 66mm
Compression Ratio 8.8:1
Fuel System 2 x Mikuni 34mm throttle bodies
Ignition Digital DC-CDI
Transmission Continuously variable belt-drive transmission with high and low range, plus reverse, and Kawasaki Engine Brake Control
Final drive Selectable four-wheel drive with Variable Front Differential Control, shaft
Frame type Large diameter, thin-walled, high-tensile tubular steel
Front suspension / wheel travel Adjustable dual A-arm with aluminum-body gas-charged shocks with piggyback reservoirs, fully adjustable preload, and adjustable rebound/compression damping / 7.5 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel Adjustable Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) with reservoir-equipped gas-charged shocks with adjustable preload and adjustable rebound/compression damping / 7.5 in.
Front Tire Size Maxxis 26×8-12
Rear Tire Size Maxxis 26×10-12
Front brakes Dual hydraulic discs with 2-piston calipers
Rear Brakes Sealed, oil-bathed, multi-disc
Overall length 116.3 in.
Overall width 58.5 in.
Overall height 75.8 in.
Wheelbase 76.0 in.
Ground clearance 11.6 in.
Lighting (2) 35W headlights, (2) 8W taillight, 27W stoplight
Cargo Bed Capacity 500 lbs., 44.2 W x 32.7 L x 11.1 in. H
Towing Capacity 1,300 lbs.
Curb weight 1,388.5 lbs.
Fuel capacity 7.4 gal.
Instruments Multi-function Digital Meter with speedometer, fuel gauge, clock hour meter, odometer, dual trip meter and parking brake, CVT belt, R/N/P/4WD, water temp and oil pressure indicators
Color Choices Lime Green / Galaxy Silver
Warranty 6 months
Good Times™ Protection Plan 12, 24,36, & 48 months
*Note: Specifications and pricing are subject to change.