Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2012 Kawasaki KLX140L
2012 Kawasaki KLX140L Review
Going from minibike to a full-sized machine can sometimes be a tricky transition. And for novices, making that jump can be difficult indeed. But now there’s a motorcycle that bridges the gap nicely – Kawasaki’s KLX™140L. Featuring 19” front and 16” rear wheels fitted to the standard-spec KLX140, the L-model is the ideal machine for more experienced or longer-limbed fans of smaller displacement machines. And with its more performance-oriented, reservoir-equipped rear shock, there’s plenty of performance for everyone. As always, the standard KLX – with 17” front / 14” rear wheels – is a first-rate option for novices and smaller riders.
A Capable Dirtbike for Fun and Adventure
Taller riders will appreciate the KLX™140L, which features taller wheels – 19” front and 16 rear – than a standard-spec KLX140. It incorporates all of the virtues of the standard 140, including an engine that provides a steady flow of power that new and seasoned riders will enjoy. The 140L model is equipped with a more performance-oriented, reservoir-equipped shock, because it’s popular with a larger, more experienced crowd. Of course, the standard KLX – with 17” front and 14” rear wheels – is still a great option for novices and smaller riders.
Bringing the KLX 140L to life is as simple as pressing the power switch and thumbing the start button. The power switch includes an internal LED to remind riders when the ignition is on, and preventing dead batteries. The powerful 144cc engine is easy to manage via a manual clutch and a five-speed, close ratio transmission. And a progressive clutch means that younger and beginning riders can more easily get the hang of shifting and clutch use; its progressive nature also means half-clutch can be used at extremely low speeds. The clutch also offers a more direct feel and more durability.
The KLX’s high-revving, smooth and surprisingly quiet engine is wrapped in a high-tensile steel perimeter frame covered by KX™-like shrouds, a two-tone seat cover and sharp, aggressive body work. The 140’s roomy cockpit, overall control layout and narrow footpeg/frame relationship – including wide, comfortable footpegs – make it easy for riders to move around with minimal effort.
A 33mm telescopic fork featuring custom-tuned spring rate and damping settings handles suspension duty up front. In back, a UNI-TRAK® linkage equipped rear shock featuring 5-way preload adjustability and a remote reservoir provides a high degree of wheel control, and is adaptable to the smaller-wheeled, standard-spec KLX140 for added performance.
Lightweight RK EXCEL aluminum rims and advanced braking components are another sign this is a serious off-road motorcycle. A large 220mm front disc and 27mm twin-piston caliper at the front and 186mm rear disc provide serious stopping power. Both utilize petal shaped rotors, which help clean the brakes and reduce unsprung weight for better wheel control.
Bottom line? The KLX140L delivers an ideal blend of size and performance, all of which equals Big Fun for kids and adults alike.
2012 Kawasaki KLX140L Features and Benefits
At A Glance…
– 144cc air-cooled, single-cylinder engine is both simple to operate and to maintain
– Close-ratio transmission makes optimum use of the engine’s power
– Progressive manual clutch offers young riders the chance to master clutch engagement and gear shifting
– Rear shock with piggyback reservoir has fully adjustable preload, four-way compression damping and 22-way rebound damping
– Keyless electric starting via a starter button on the handlebar; an LED indicates when the power button is on to help prevent accidental battery drain
– Front 220mm petal disc and large-bore 27mm twin-piston caliper (same size as those on the KX450F/250F) for strong and easy-to-control braking
– Quiet muffler is equipped with a USFS-approved spark arrester, meaning the KLX140L can access designated public off-road riding areas
144 cc air-cooled, single-cylinder engine
– Reliable and easy to use lightweight engine is both simple to operate and to maintain
– Engine revs easily and allows riders to use the full rpm range up to the 10,500 rpm rev limiter
– Exhaust pipe is curved to achieve optimum length for good power character
– The quiet muffler is equipped with a USFS approved spark arrester, meaning the KLX140L can access designated public off-road riding areas
– Oil-moistened air-filter is washable, reusable, easily accessed and highly effective in dusty situations
– 31.5” seat height accommodates taller riders
– Starting is via a (keyless) electric starter button on the handlebar
– Orange LED light activates when the power button is depressed, indicating that power is “ON”
– Digital CDI ignition helps ensure quick, reliable starts
– Oval piston-valve Keihin PB20 carburetor features several Kawasaki-original modifications to provide stable fuel delivery under rough off-road conditions
– Partitions in the float chamber keep the fuel from sloshing excessively and an umbrella around the main jet traps fuel when jumping
– Dual air vents help provide a stable fuel supply and eliminate hesitation even when the bike is at extreme lean angles
– Needle valve is suspended on a spring that acts like a shock absorber
– Float material is rubber instead of plastic
– Close gear ratios help the KLX’s acceleration performance
– Like the KX models, the shift lever features a ball bearing to ease shifting and has a folding tip for less damage in a crash
Progressive manual clutch
– Manual clutch offers young riders the chance to master clutch engagement and gear shifting
– A spring damper in the clutch gives it a 2-stage engagement that permits half-clutch use when riding at extremely low rpm or idling speeds, and helps provide direct clutch feel and better durability
Box-section perimeter frame
– Ready for the off-road abuse, the highly rigid, KX™-inspired high-tensile steel perimeter frame uses the same upper tubes as the KLX250S
– Aluminum swingarm offers light weight, strength and a hairline finish like on the KX machines
– KX-style chain adjusters allow precise chain adjustments
– 33mm telescopic fork assembly has spring rates and damping settings specific to the 140L
– Intended for use at a quicker pace, the KLX140L features a rear shock with a piggyback reservoir fully adjustable spring preload, 4-way compression damping and 22-way rebound damping
– Strong, high-grade die-cast hubs offer the same durability as those found on the KX
– Durable, lightweight RK EXCEL aluminum rims on the 19/16-inch front/rear wheels
Petal disc brakes front & rear
– Front 220mm petal disc and large-bore 27mm twin-piston caliper (same size as those on the KX450F/250F) offer strong and easy-to-control braking
– Rear brake uses a 186mm petal disc gripped by a 27mm single-piston caliper
– Rear brake master cylinder features a large-volume, unitized reservoir that contributes to stable braking and helps ensure sufficient fluid pressure even when the brake pad wears down
– In addition to helping reduce unsprung weight, the wave shapes of the petal discs help clean the brake pads for more efficient braking performance
– Combination of the flat surface of the frame’s box-section, long footpegs mounted close to the bikes’ centerline and no kick-start lever add up to good grip and a high level of machine control
– Footpeg/frame relationship is modeled after the KX line for maximum leg grip
– Handlebar is rubber-mounted for reduced vibration transferred to the rider’s hands
– Two-piece upper triple clamp and handle clamp foster easy aftermarket handlebar installation
– Raised pattern on half of the grip surface offers more control and comfort
– Two-tone seat cover has a slip-resistant top surface for good grip when seated and smooth sides for excellent rider mobility when standing
Sharp, aggressive bodywork styling
– Box-section perimeter frame features advanced styling similar to that found on KX racers
– Two-piece shrouds with ventilation holes inspired by the top-of-the-line KX race machines
– Fuel tank cover provides a flush transition from tank to shroud, and contributes to the bike’s high level of fit and finish
– Eye-catching box muffler design protrudes as little as possible from behind the side cover, and features a plastic muffler end-cap that offers a surface cooler to the touch than steel
2012 Kawasaki KLX140L – USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $3,249.00 USD
Engine Four-stroke, SOHC, two-valve single
Bore x Stroke 58.0 x 54.4mm
Compression ratio 9.5:1
Cooling System Air
Carburetion Keihin PB20
Transmission Five-speed with wet multi-disc manual clutch
Final drive Chain
Frame Type High-Tensile steel, box-section perimeter
Rake/Trail 27 degrees / 3.8 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel 33mm telescopic fork / 7.1 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel UNI-TRAK® linkage system and single shock with piggyback reservoir, fully adjustable preload and 22-way rebound damping / 7.1 in.
Front Tire Size 70/100-19
Rear Tire Size 90/100-16
Front brakes / rear brakes Single 220mm petal disc with a dual-piston caliper / Single 186mm petal disc with single-piston caliper
Overall length 74.6 in.
Overall width 31.1 in.
Overall height 42.3 in.
Ground clearance 10.0 in.
Seat height 31.5 in.
Curb weight 209.4 lbs.
Wheelbase 50.6 in.
Fuel capacity 1.5 gal.
Color Choices Lime Green
Warranty 6 months base warranty
2012 Kawasaki KLX140L – Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: See Canadian Kawasaki Dealer for pricing.
Type 4-stroke, Single
Bore and Stroke 58.0 x 54.4 mm
Compression Ratio 9.5:1
Valve System SOHC, 2 valves, screw type adjusters
Fuel System Keihin PB20 carburetor
Ignition Digital DC-CDI
Lubrication Forced lubrication (wet sump)
Final Drive Chain
Primary Reduction Ratio 2.880 (72/25)
Gear Ratio: 1st 2.667 (40/15)
Gear Ratio: 2nd 1.895 (36/19)
Gear Ratio: 3rd 1.474 (28/19)
Gear Ratio: 4th 1.182 (26/22)
Gear Ratio: 5th 1.000 (24/24)
Final Reduction Ratio 3.923 (51/13)
Clutch Wet multi-disc, manual, cable operation
Type Tubular double cradle, box section perimeter, high-tensile steel
Wheel Travel: Front 180 mm (7.1 in.)
Tire: Front 70/100-19
Wheel Travel: Rear 180 mm (7.1 in.)
Tire: Rear 90/100-16
Caster (Rake) 27°
Trail 96 mm (3.8 in.)
Suspension, Front 33 mm telescopic fork
Suspension, Rear Uni-Trak linkage system and single shock with piggyback reservoir, fully adjustable preload and 22-way rebound damping
Front: Type Single 220 mm petal disc
Front: Caliper Dual-piston caliper
Rear: Type Single 186 mm petal disc
Rear: Caliper Single-piston caliper
Overall Length 1,895 mm (74.6 in.)
Overall Width 790 mm (31.1 in.)
Overall Height 1,075 mm (42.3 in.)
Wheelbase 1,285 mm (50.6 in.)
Ground Clearance 255 mm (10.0 in.)
Seat Height 800 mm (31.5 in.)
Curb Mass** 95 kg (209.4 lbs.)
Fuel Capacity 5.8 litres (1.3 gal.)
** Includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90% of capacity) and tool kit (if supplied)
Colour Lime Green
Warranty 6 months warranty
ADDITIONAL COST OPTIONS
Good Times Protection Plan 24 or 36 months (Kawasaki GTPP coverage begins after the standard limited warranty expires)
* The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price does not include freight, pre-delivery inspection or applicable taxes. The final price is at the discretion of the dealer. Prices and Specifications are subject to change without prior notice.
The specifications mentioned here apply to and have been achieved by production models under standard operating conditions. We intend only to give a fair description of the vehicle and its performance capabilities but these specifications may not apply to every machine supplied for sale. Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. reserves the right to alter specifications without prior notice.
Equipment illustrated and specifications may vary to meet individual markets. Available colours may vary by market.