Click photos to enlarge. Our big, clean bike pics make great desktop wallpaper.
2013 Kawasaki KLX140 Review
2013 Kawasaki KLX140
Powerful Package with Easy-to-Handle Personality
Regardless of a rider’s level of experience, the KLX™ 140 provides the perfect opportunity to show just how much a little can do. This compact, multi-talented dirt bike offers straightforward push-button starting, and a steady flow of power that will fit the needs of both young and old.
Bringing the KLX 140 to life is as simple as pressing the power switch and thumbing the start button. The power switch includes an internal LED to remind riders when the ignition is on, and preventing dead batteries. The powerful 144cc engine is easy to manage via a manual clutch and a five-speed, close ratio transmission. And a progressive clutch means that younger and beginning riders can more easily get the hang of shifting and clutch use; its progressive nature also means half-clutch can be used at extremely low speeds. The clutch also offers a more direct feel and more durability.
The KLX 140’s high-revving, smooth and surprisingly quiet engine is wrapped in a high-tensile steel perimeter frame covered by KX™-like shrouds, a two-tone seat cover and sharp, aggressive body work. The KLX 140’s roomy cockpit, overall control layout and narrow footpeg/frame relationship – including wide and comfortable footpegs – make it easy for riders to move around while aboard with a minimum of effort.
A 33mm telescopic fork featuring custom-tuned spring rate and damping settings handles suspension duties up front. In back, a Uni-Trak® linkage equipped rear shock featuring 5-way preload adjustability provides a smooth and controlled ride. To provide even greater options for growing riders, the KLX140L’s more advanced, reservoir-equipped shock easily fits the standard KLX140.
RK EXCEL aluminum rims and advanced braking components are another sign this is a serious off-road motorcycle. A large 220mm front disc and 27mm twin-piston caliper at the front and 186mm rear disc provide serious stopping power. Both utilize petal shaped rotors, which help clean the brakes and reduce unsprung weight for better wheel control.
Bottom line? The KLX140 delivers an ideal blend of size and performance, all of which equals Big Fun for kids and adults alike.
Authentic Kawasaki Accessories are available through Kawasaki dealers.
2013 Kawasaki KLX140 Features and Benefits
At A Glance…
• 144cc air-cooled, single-cylinder engine is simple to operate and to maintain
• Close-ratio transmission makes optimum use of the engine’s power
• Progressive manual clutch offers young riders the chance to master clutch engagement and gear shifting
• Keyless electric starting via a starter button on the handlebar; an LED indicates when the power button is on to help prevent accidental battery drain
• Front 220mm petal disc and large-bore 27mm twin-piston caliper (same size as those on the KX450F/250F) for strong and easy-to-control braking
• Quiet muffler is equipped with a USFS-approved spark arrester, meaning the KLX140L can access designated public off-road riding areas
144 cc air-cooled, single-cylinder engine
• Reliable and easy to use lightweight engine is simple to operate and maintain
• Engine revs easily and allows riders to use the engine’s full rpm range up to the rev limiter at 10,500 rpm
• Exhaust pipe is curved to achieve optimum length for good power characteristics
• Quiet muffler is equipped with a USFS-approved spark arrester, meaning the KLX140 can access designated public off-road riding areas
• Oil-coated air filter is washable, reusable, easily accessed and highly effective in dusty situations
• Keyless electric starting via handlebar-mounted button
• Orange LED light activates when the power button is depressed, indicating that power is “ON” to help prevent accidental battery drain
• Digital CDI ignition helps ensure quick, reliable starts
• Oval piston-valve Keihin PB20 carburetor features several Kawasaki-original modifications to provide stable fuel delivery under rough off-road conditions
• Partitions in the float chamber keep the fuel from sloshing excessively, while an umbrella around the main jet traps fuel when jumping
• Dual air vents help provide a stable fuel supply and eliminate hesitation even when the bike is at extreme lean angles
• Needle valve is suspended on a spring, which acts like a shock absorber
• Float material is rubber instead of plastic
• Close gear ratios help the acceleration performance of the KLX 140
• Shift lever features a ball bearing design for easy shifting like KX™ models, and has a folding tip for reduced crash damage
Progressive manual clutch
• Manual clutch offers young riders the chance to master clutch engagement and gear shifting
• Spring damper in the clutch provides a 2-stage engagement that permits half-clutch use when riding at extremely low rpm or idling speeds, and helps provide better clutch feel and durability
Box-section perimeter frame
• Ready for the off-road abuse, the highly rigid, KX-inspired high-tensile steel perimeter frame uses the same upper tubes as the high-performance KLX250S
• Aluminum swingarm is lightweight, strong and features a hairline finish just like the KX machines
• KX-style chain adjusters allow precise chain adjustment
• 33mm telescopic fork has spring rates and damping settings specific to each model
• KLX140 rear shock features 5-way preload adjustability and a Uni-Trak® linkage
• More advanced KLX140L rear shock and reservoir can be mounted on the KLX140 for faster riders
• Strong, high-grade die-cast hubs offer the same durability as those on the KX models
• Durable, lightweight RK EXCEL aluminum rims are featured on the KLX’s 17/14-inch front/rear wheels
Petal disc brakes front & rear
• Front 220mm petal disc and large-bore 27mm twin-piston caliper (same size as those on the KX450F/250F) offer strong and easy-to-control braking
• Rear brake uses a 186mm petal disc gripped by a 27mm single-piston caliper
• Rear brake master cylinder features a large-volume, unitized reservoir that contributes to stable braking and helps ensure sufficient fluid pressure, even when the brake pad wears down
• The wave shape of the petal discs help clean the brake pads for more efficient braking performance and reduce unsprung weight
• Flat-shaped box-section of frame, long footpegs mounted close to the bikes’ centerline and no kick-start lever combine to offer riders a good grip on the bike and thusly a higher level of machine control
• Footpeg/frame relationship is modeled after the KX models for maximum leg grip
• Handlebar is rubber-mounted to reduce vibration transferred to the rider’s hands
• Two-piece upper triple clamp and handle clamp allow easy aftermarket handlebar installation
• Raised pattern on half of the handgrip surface improves rider grip and comfort
• Two-tone seat cover has a slip-resistant top surface for improved grip and smooth sides for excellent rider mobility when standing
Sharp, aggressive bodywork styling
• Box-section perimeter frame features advanced styling similar to that of the KX racers
• Two-piece shrouds with ventilation holes inspired by the top-of-the-line KX race machines
• Fuel tank cover provides a smooth transition from tank to shroud, and contributes to the high level fit and finish
• Eye-catching box muffler design protrudes as little as possible from behind the side cover and features a plastic muffler end-cap that offers a surface that’s cooler to the touch than steel
2013 Kawasaki KLX140 – USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $2,999 USD
Engine Four-stroke, SOHC, two-valve single
Bore x Stroke 58.0 x 54.4mm
Cooling System Air
Carburetion Keihin PB20
Compression ratio 9.5:1
Transmission Five-speed with wet multi-disc manual clutch
Final drive Chain
Frame Type High-Tensile steel, box-section perimeter
Rake/Trail 27 degrees / 3.3 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel 33mm telescopic fork / 7.1 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel UNI-TRAK® linkage system and single shock with 5-way preload adjustability / 7.1 in.
Front Tire Size 70/100-17
Rear Tire Size 90/100-14
Front brakes / rear brakes Single 220mm petal disc with a dual-piston caliper / Single 186mm petal disc with single-piston caliper
Overall length 71.7 in.
Overall width 31.1 in.
Overall height 41.3 in.
Wheelbase 49.6 in.
Ground clearance 9.3 in.
Seat height 30.7 in.
Curb weight 205.0 lbs.
Fuel capacity 1.5 gal.
Color Choices Lime Green
Warranty 6 months base warranty
2013 Kawasaki KLX140 – Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: TBA CDN
Type 4-stroke, Single
Bore and Stroke 58.0 x 54.4 mm
Compression Ratio 9.5:1
Valve System SOHC, 2 valves, screw type adjusters
Fuel System Keihin PB20 carburetor
Ignition Digital DC-CDI
Lubrication Forced lubrication (wet sump)
Final Drive Chain
Primary Reduction Ratio 2.880 (72/25)
Gear Ratio: 1st 2.667 (40/15)
Gear Ratio: 2nd 1.895 (36/19)
Gear Ratio: 3rd 1.474 (28/19)
Gear Ratio: 4th 1.182 (26/22)
Gear Ratio: 5th 1.000 (24/24)
Final Reduction Ratio 3.571 (50/14)
Clutch Wet multi-disc, manual, cable operation
Type Tubular double cradle, box section perimeter, high-tensile steel
Wheel Travel: Front 180 mm (7.1 in.)
Tire: Front 70/100-17
Wheel Travel: Rear 180 mm (7.1 in.)
Tire: Rear 90/100-14
Caster (Rake) 27°
Trail 85 mm (3.3 in.)
Suspension, Front 33 mm telescopic fork
Suspension, Rear Uni-Trak linkage system and single shock with 5-way preload adjustability
Front: Type Single 220 mm petal disc
Front: Caliper Dual-piston caliper
Rear: Type Single 186 mm petal disc
Rear: Caliper Single-piston caliper
Overall Length 1,820 mm (71.7 in.)
Overall Width 790 mm (31.1 in.)
Overall Height 1,050 mm (41.3 in.)
Wheelbase 1,260 mm (49.6 in.)
Ground Clearance 235 mm (9.3 in.)
Seat Height 780 mm (30.7 in.)
Curb Mass** 93 kg (205 lbs.)
Fuel Capacity 5.8 litres (1.3 gal.)
** Includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90% of capacity) and tool kit (if supplied)
Warranty 6 months warranty
ADDITIONAL COST OPTIONS
Good Times Protection Plan 24 or 36 months (Kawasaki GTPP coverage begins after the standard limited warranty expires)
Lime GreenKLX140ADF TBA
* The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price does not include freight, pre-delivery inspection or applicable taxes. The final price is at the discretion of the dealer. Prices and Specifications are subject to change without prior notice.
The specifications mentioned here apply to and have been achieved by production models under standard operating conditions. We intend only to give a fair description of the vehicle and its performance capabilities but these specifications may not apply to every machine supplied for sale. Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. reserves the right to alter specifications without prior notice. Equipment illustrated and specifications may vary to meet individual markets. Available colours may vary by market.
2013 Kawasaki KLX140 – United Kingdom Specifications/Technical Details
UK MSRP Price: £TBA (Prices are recommended and inclusive of VAT @ 20% and delivery)
2013 Kawasaki KLX140 – Australia Specifications/Technical Details
Australia MSRP Price: $TBA AU