Click photos to enlarge. Our big, clean bike pics make great desktop wallpaper.
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650 Review
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650 on www.Totalmotorcycle.com
Passion and Performance Meet Practicality…
The Kawasaki Ninja® 650 ABS is one of those rare sportbikes that encapsulates the passion and performance of a modern sportbike while also delivering the efficiency and agility of an urban commuter. Yet its overall ability shouldn’t be underestimated. Ninja 650-based race bikes have been successful in flat-track racing against larger displacement V-Twin motorcycles, proving both the performance and durability of the parallel-twin Ninja 650 engine.
Equipped with performance hardware such as ABS brakes, a 649cc engine with Digital Fuel Injection (DFI®), double-pipe perimeter frame and stylish Ninja bodywork, the motorcycle can hold its own on the racetrack or when canyon carving. It also has a practical side, with its easy-to-read analog and digital instrumentation, responsive power delivery and a comfortable tapered seat designed to accommodate shorter riders. With its combination of performance and practicality, it is no wonder the Ninja 650 ABS is popular for everything from track days to bike nights.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 2015 KAWASAKI NINJA 650 ABS
•ABS brakes add confidence in adverse conditions (ABS models only)
•Double-pipe perimeter frame offers rigidity and a low seat height
•Stylish bodywork similar to its larger Ninja sportbike siblings
•Front and rear suspension tuned for comfort and performance
•New colors and graphics for 2015
The Ninja 650 sportbike is powered by an advanced, compact, liquid-cooled 649cc parallel twin engine that is equipped with a Digital Fuel Injection (DFI®) system featuring 38mm throttle bodies with sub-throttle valves for precise fueling and response.
This narrow engine produces substantial power with plenty of character – especially in the low- and mid-range – thanks to double overhead camshafts acting on eight lightweight valves. The lightweight pistons run in plated, linerless cylinders, while a 180-degree crank assembly – coupled with a balancer shaft – maintains its smoothness.
With fuel consumption estimated at 50mpg[*] coupled with the Ninja 650’s pleasing twin-cylinder power pulse, this motorcycle might have the most flexible and satisfying streetbike engine around.
FRAME & CHASSIS
Wrapping around the superbly flexible engine is a double-pipe perimeter frame that provides balanced rigidity with a narrow-waisted design that helps make it possible for shorter riders to reach the ground.
The frame is slim, light and compact, while the twin-tube swingarm and forged axle holders allow the rear wheel to move through its suspension travel in style. A backbone-style subframe offers excellent carrying capacity.
The suspension comprises a 41mm front fork while the rear shock has preload adjustment but is offset and laid at an angle to create an integrated line from the steering head to the rear hub. Both the front and rear suspension was tuned to provide the optimum ride comfort without sacrificing control during sport riding.
The braking system utilizes twin 300mm petal-shaped front discs with twin-piston calipers, while the rear has a single 220mm petal-shaped disc and single piston caliper. For the Ninja 650 ABS model, the motorcycle is equipped with an advanced ABS braking system that monitors wheel rotation and controls brake pressure to help control wheel lock-up while braking.
The handlebar, footpegs and seat are rubber-mounted to help isolate the rider from vibration. This leaves the rider to focus on the instrument panel featuring an analog tachometer above an LCD info-center that displays speed, fuel consumption, range and dual trip meters.
The Ninja 650 bodywork is similar to Kawasaki’s race-winning supersport machines, replicating their aggressive lines and aerodynamic efficiency. An adjustable, three-position windscreen is an added bonus, allowing the rider to minimize buffeting air for maximum comfort. The fairing has large openings to maximize airflow and reduce engine heat.
New for 2015 are three color options that include Candy Lime Green / Metallic Flat Spark Black, as well as Metallic Spark Black / Metallic Flat Spark Black and finally Pearl Flat Stardust White / Metallic Flat Spark Black.
Everything adds up to a great all-around mid-sized sportbike, one that works superbly for novices and vets. Pulling away from a traffic light is effortless thanks to the Ninja 650’s torquey engine, light-pull clutch and ideal throttle response. Crisp, linear ABS brakes (where fitted) help assist braking under certain conditions, while the low seat height gives riders lots of confidence once stopped. Experts will also love the Ninja’s powerful yet flexible engine, modern suspension, strong brakes and nimble handling. The 2015 Ninja 650 ABS sportbike can do it all – whether it’s commuting, cruising, touring or track days.
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650 www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
– ABS brakes (where fitted) offer excellent performance and enhanced confidence in adverse conditions
– Double-pipe perimeter frame offers balanced rigidity and a low seat height
– Double-pipe swingarm assembly offers excellent rigidity and maximum style
– Sharp, stylish sportbike bodywork features excellent engine-heat dissipation
– Front and rear suspension settings and wheel travel are tuned to offer ride comfort with excellent compliance in varying situations
– Instrument cluster features an analog tachometer and a digital readout for information at-a-glance
– Two-piece seat assembly features thick, wide foam for optimum rider and passenger comfort. It is sculpted at the front so it does not interfere with the rider’s reach to the ground
– Easy-to-pull clutch lever design reduces fatigue and provides smooth engagement
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650 www.Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
649cc Parallel-Twin Engine
– Liquid-cooled, DOHC, eight-valve fuel-injected twin cylinder engine delivers smooth, responsive performance, especially in the low- to mid-range RPM
– Strong mid-range power produces exceptional roll-on response and impressive passing performance, to help make commuting enjoyable
– A 180-degree crankshaft-driven balancer shaft minimizes vibration and doubles as the water pump drive
– Oil jets on the connecting rod big-ends spray oil on the underside of the pistons to aid cooling
– Lightweight plug-mounted ignition coils deliver a hot spark and save space
– High-capacity radiator for optimum cooling efficiency
– Engine coolant travels directly to the engine cases, following internal passages to the cylinder and head for minimum external plumbing and a simplified cooling system
Digital Fuel Injection (DFI®)
– Digital Fuel Injection settings boost bottom-end power while letting the engine rev freely
– 38mm Keihin throttle bodies use sub-throttle valve for optimum performance and rideability
– Located behind the main throttle valves, the sub-throttle valves are controlled by the DFI’s ECU for precise response
– Auto fast-idle system simplifies cold starts and helps ensure the catalyzer reaches working temperature quickly
– Lightweight fuel pump is mounted inside the fuel tank
Compact Engine Design
– Powerful twin-cylinder engine is very compact, which helps reduce the dimensions of the entire motorcycle and allows use of a slim double-pipe perimeter frame
– Triangular setup of the crankshaft and transmission shafts makes the engine dimensionally short front-to-back
– Transmission input shaft, output shaft and gear-change drum are contained in a cassette-style package that allows a compact layout
– Semi-dry sump design reduces engine height
– Plated, liner-less aluminum cylinders with a narrow cylinder pitch keep the engine light and slim
– Efficient fuel injection and a three-way catalyzer inside the exhaust produce very low emissions, able to pass stringent Euro III emissions regulations
– 300-cell catalyzer is compact and light
– Rubber-mounted seat, handlebar and footpegs (rider’s and passenger’s) damp vibration for added comfort
– 180-degree crankshaft-driven balancer shaft minimizes vibration and doubles as the water pump drive
ABS Disc Brakes (Ninja 650 ABS model only)
– ABS brakes assist braking under certain conditions
– Compact, lightweight ABS unit is highly effective
– Twin 300mm petal-shaped front brake discs with twin-piston calipers, single 220mm rear petal-shaped disc with single-piston caliper delivers plenty of braking power
– Petal-shape design offers improved cooling and warp resistance
Rigid Double-pipe Perimeter Frame
– Slim, low, lightweight, rigid and compact frame design is narrow at the knees and footpegs for rider comfort and control
– The strong steel perimeter frame offers optimum rigidity
– Optimized frame rigidity is achieved through extensive computer analysis, translating into superb handling
– The frame and swingarm designs flow together aesthetically, and work with the suspension components to offer maximum wheel control
– Short front-to-back engine dimensions allow for a longer swingarm and a shorter wheelbase, which contributes to the Ninja 650’s light and nimble handling
– Under-engine muffler placement aids mass centralization and yields a low center of gravity
– Clean frame welds highlight the overall quality and attention to detail
Stylish Twin-tube Swingarm
– Tuned to complement the frame’s flex and rigidity characteristics
– Gull-wing shape on the right side allows clearance for aggressive muffler design
– 41mm front fork and lay-down rear shock with preload adjustment were tuned to offer optimum ride comfort without sacrificing wheel control during sport riding
Comfortable, Confidence-inspiring Ergonomics
– A wide handlebar, two-piece seat and optimal footpeg placement result in a comfortable, sporty seating position which suits a wide range of riders
– Backbone-style subframe offers a low seat height and a narrow footpeg placement for precise feel and excellent comfort, also making it easier for riders to reach to the ground
– The offset single-shock rear suspension layout, along with a small battery, contribute to the low seat height
– This low seat height and slim overall design make it easier to plant both feet firmly on the ground when stopped
Sleek, Supersport-inspired Bodywork
– A dual headlight design within the fairing’s angular upper section features multi-reflector bulb hoods and twin position lights – like its Ninja supersport brethren
– A three-way adjustable windscreen helps to deflect air away from the rider, reducing wind buffeting at higher speeds
– Large capacity fuel tank meshes perfectly with the aggressive fairing design
– Distinctive Ninja supersport design elements enhance the Ninja 650’s sporty image and compact appearance
– Integrated front turn signals feature clear lenses and amber bulbs
– A sleek tail cowl featuring a bright LED tail light accentuates the bodywork’s radical appearance
– Inner rear fender helps keep the underside of the tail section clean
– Turn signals also function as flashing hazard lights
– The front fender minimizes water splash, while its shape matches the bodywork styling
– Supersport-style mirrors – like those on the Kawasaki ZX™-10R and ZX-6R – accentuate the aggressive styling
Six-Spoke Aluminum Wheels
– Attractive six-spoke supersport-style wheels augment the bike’s lightweight look and reduce unsprung weight for good suspension action
– Multi-function instrumentation includes a fuel gauge, digital speedometer, clock, odometer, dual trip meters, Economical Riding Indicator (ECO), plus an analog tachometer, fuel range, average fuel consumption and instant fuel consumption
– Clock and trip meter can be viewed simultaneously
– Easy-to-read LCD screen offers information at-a-glance on a variety of systems
– Ignition switch is located at the top of the tank assembly, which gives a clear view to the Ninja 650’s instruments
Kawasaki Genuine Accessories
– Rear Seat Cowl is available in color-matched ABS plastic to give the Ninja 650 a sporty appearance
– Windshields – a Spoiler Screen and Sport Screen offer different styles but both adjust and give enhanced wind protection
– Tank Bag has a secure three-way mounting system but can be quickly removed and carried with the convenient handle
– Top Cases – a Soft Top Case made from water-resistant nylon or a 30-liter Top Case made from durable ABS plastic and mounted to a quick-release base
– Motorcycle Covers – Deluxe and Premium are available to protect the motorcycle during storage
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650 – www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $7,199 USD
Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four-valve, parallel twin
Bore x stroke: 83 x 60mm
Compression ratio: 10.8:1
Fuel injection: Digital fuel injection with two 38mm Keihin throttle bodies
Ignition: TCBI with electronic advance
Transmission: Six-speed with positive neutral finder
Final drive: O-ring chain
Frame: Twin-tube perimeter design, high-tensile steel
Rake / trail: 25-degrees / 4.3″
Front suspension / wheel travel: 41mm hydraulic telescopic fork / 4.9″
Rear suspension / wheel travel: Single offset lay-down shock with adjustable spring preload / 5.1″
Front tire: 120/70×17 Dunlop Roadsmart II
Rear tire: 160/60×17 Dunlop Roadsmart II
Front brakes: Dual 300mm petal-type discs and two-piston calipers
Rear brakes: Single 220mm petal-type disc and single-piston caliper
Overall length: 83.1″
Overall width: 30.3″
Overall height: 46.5″
Seat height: 31.7″
Curb weight: 460.8 lb
Fuel capacity: 4.2 gallons
Colors: Candy Lime Green / Metallic Flat Spark Black
Metallic Spark Black / Metallic Flat Spark Black
Pearl Flat Stardust White / Metallic Flat Spark Black
Warranty: 12 months
Kawasaki Protection Plan (optional): 12, 24, 36 or 48 months
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650 – www.Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: $NA CDN
Model not available. See Ninja 650 ABS
* The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price does not include freight, pre-delivery inspection or applicable taxes. The final price is at the discretion of the dealer. Prices and Specifications are subject to change without prior notice. The amount indicated as “Your price” may include an optional instant Mega Cash credit that is deducted from the manufacturer’s suggested retail price before taxes. This promotion is time limited and certain conditions will apply. See your dealer for complete details. Offer not available on financed purchases and cannot be combined with any other special offers. The final price is at the discretion of the dealer. Prices and Specifications are subject to change without prior notice.
** Includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90% of capacity) and tool kit (if supplied)
‡ Power / Torque figures measured at the crankshaft.
The specifications mentioned here apply to and have been achieved by production models under standard operating conditions. We intend only to give a fair description of the vehicle and its performance capabilities but these specifications may not apply to every machine supplied for sale. Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. reserves the right to alter specifications without prior notice. Equipment illustrated and specifications may vary to meet individual markets. Available colours may vary by market.