You have come to the right spot. Total Motorcycle – Built by Riders, For Riders; Enjoy the ride…
2017 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec Review
2017 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec on www.Totalmotorcycle.com
Motorcyclist’s Entry Cruiser Shootout Winner…
Features compact, raw bobber design, powerful 942cc V-Twin, new flangeless tank, piggyback shocks and textured seat for old-school style and modern urban.
2017 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
/// Key Improvents for 2017
• New flangeless fuel tank
Designers and custom builders are stepping back to a time when the mechanical beauty of a motorcycle was highlighted in its styling. The Bolt R-Spec’s simple styling, compact layout, V-Twin power and natural riding position combine to offer an incredibly fun riding experience.
942cc, air-cooled, SOHC, 4-valves per cylinder, 60° V-twin engine produces outstanding low- and mid-range torque. Maximum torque is reached at only 3,000 rpm – for an exceptionally fun riding experience.
The differences between the standard Bolt and the R-Spec model include; different colours & graphics, preload adjustable premium remote reservoir gas shocks, a cool, textured seat, blacked-out mirrors and mag wheels.
The Bolt R-Spec is designed to be compact and slim, featuring clean, simple styling with the ability to easily personalize / customize the bike with a wide range of Genuine Star accessories. We make it easy for you to transform a Bolt into “your” Bolt. For 2017, the Bolt R-Spec features a flangeless fuel tank.
2017 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec www.Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
• Blacked out, 942cc, air-cooled, SOHC, 4-valve per cylinder, fuel injected, 60° V-twin power plant pumps out impressive power & torque. Maximum torque is reached at 3,000 rpms, for relaxed cruising performance.
• SOHC, pent-roof, 4-valve cylinder heads.
• 4-valve design optimizes breathing efficiency & overall engine performance at all rpms
• 31.5 mm intake & 28 mm exhaust valves use friction reducing single valve springs
• compact pent roof combustion chamber design & optimized squish area forces the fuel / air mixture toward the centre of the combustion chamber for more complete combustion & excellent power with reduced emissions
• 25,000 km valve adjustment intervals
• Specially designed roller rockers activate the valves.
• Y shaped roller rocker arms allows a greater amount of valve lift without causing excessive camshaft wear & friction
• slipper portion of the rocker arm utilizes a needle bearing for reduced camshaft wear & reduced sliding resistance (friction)
• No fuss, traditional air-cooled engine design.
• cylinders have a tapered “V” appearance to highlight the V-twin engine design
• cooling fins have been optimized for reliable cooling even in stop & go traffic
• Automatic cam chain tensioners reduce mechanical noise & simplify maintenance.
• “Liner-less”, ceramic composite-plated cylinder bores.
• ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum blocks, eliminating the liners & reducing weight
• excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery
• ceramic coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder & piston, reducing friction & increasing power
• extended cylinder service life
• Flat top, lightweight forged aluminum pistons.
• less reciprocating mass for fast engine response
• reduced mechanical vibration for excellent reliability
• Single pin style crankshaft.
• design accentuates V-twin engine character, pulse feel & sound
• Wet sump lubrication system with easy access, spin on oil filter & drain plug for easy oil changes.
• Classic side mounted 2.3 litre air box houses an easy access, a high-flow viscous paper-type filter.
• “Closed loop”, dual bore, 35 mm throttle body fuel injection system with linear throttle response for easy riding.
• system uses throttle position sensor (TPS) to help optimize intake air flow & power
• ISC or idle speed controller ensures a steady idle
• 4 – hole injectors optimize fuel atomization & feature a dual spray pattern for more complete combustion chamber filling
• “closed loop system” uses an oxygen sensor to “sniff” spent exhaust & automatically adjust the fuel / air ratio for reduced emissions
• oxygen sensor is located before the mufflers, so the use of aftermarket “slip-on” mufflers will not affect the closed loop system
• fuel injection benefits include; excellent throttle response, choke-free starting, steady idling during warm up, excellent fuel economy & reduced emissions
• Smooth-shifting, 5-speed transmission.
• optimized gear ratios match engine power for strong acceleration
• 5th gear offers reduced engine rpms at highway speeds
• clutch is an “outer pull” design for light, easy lever effort
• Special narrow design belt drive final drive.
• narrow 21 mm wide belt design
• cleaner & quieter than chain drive… no messy chain splatter
• low maintenance… no regular adjustments or lubrication required
• belt drive system simplifies customization
• Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
• produces a strong spark for fast starts
• provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
• 2 into 1 exhaust system.
• large diameter header pipes for maximum flow
• dual stage muffler produces a low, throaty V-Twin growl
• heat shields protect rider & passenger from hot components
• 3-way honeycomb catalyzer reduces harmful exhaust emissions
• Air Injection System injects fresh air into exhaust ports to fully burn any unburnt fuel, further reducing exhaust emissions.
• Tube type, double cradle steel frame.
• provides a natural riding position & roomy ergonomics combined with a low 690 mm (27.2″) seat height
• frame utilizes a rigid engine mounting system optimizing the overall chassis rigidity balance for superior handling
• engine mounting position provides a low center of gravity for light, easy handling
• Tube-type, steel, swingarm compliments the frame & features a dual shock rear suspension system.
• Compact 1570 mm (61.8″) wheelbase provides light, agile handling, for a fun riding experience.
• 41mm KYB front fork offers 120 mm (4.7″) of wheel travel.
• good ride comfort & compliance
• chip guards help prevent fork tube “nicks” & protect fork seals
• Adjustable, premium, dual remote reservoir gas charged shock rear suspension. Rear wheel travel is 70 mm (2.8″).
• 5 – positions of spring preload adjustability to suit load and / or rider preferences
• remote reservoir design keeps the shock cooler for more consistent damping performance
• Single, 298 mm front disc brake features a floating, wave-style disc squeezed by a twin piston caliper.
• strong, confidence-inspiring stopping power
• wave-style disc offers more surface area than a conventional round disc for excellent heat dissipation
• 298 mm rear wave-style disc brake is squeezed by single piston caliper.
• caliper mounted to the underside of the swingarm, reducing the centre of gravity for light handling
• location also hides the caliper for a clean, custom look
• Lightweight 12-spoke, cast aluminum wheels.
• front wheel size is MT2.50 x 19
• rear wheel size is MT3.50 x 18
• tubeless tires
• Short design, front & rear steel fenders for easy painting or customization.
• 12 litre, slim design fuel tank.
• 2.8 litre reserve capacity (low fuel light illuminates)
• high capacity electric fuel pump
• Separate rider & passenger seats feature a dual texture, premium buckskin/suede design.
• good comfort & support
• seat height is 690 mm or 27.2″ off the ground, enhancing rider confidence
• narrow design through seat-fuel tank junction makes it easier to get both feet on the ground
• passenger seat can be easily removed if desired
• Foot pegs are positioned more rearward than on a traditional cruiser for a more natural & upright riding position.
• Conventional low handlebar offers an upright riding position.
• excellent rider comfort
• bar can be changed to a different “bend” for easy customization or personal preferences
• Triple clamp mounted LCD digital meter / instrument.
• functions include; speedometer, odometer, dual trip meters, fuel reserve trip meter (counts kilometers since low fuel light activated), clock & range of warning lights
• self-diagnostic function
• instrument functions can be “tabbed” through & reset using the RHS handlebar switch gear, allowing the operator to change instrument functions without taking hands off the bars.
• 60/55 watt high intensity halogen headlight with chromed bezel.
• “Vintage design” LED tail light.
• The Bolt R-Spec is designed to be compact & slim, featuring clean, simple styling with the ability to easily personalize / customize the bike with a wide range of Genuine Star accessories.
• Industry-leading Star family fit & finish
• Upper & lower belt drive cover helps prevent debris from entering the belt and pulley areas
• Fork mounted steering lock
• Self-cancelling turn signals
• Passing switch (flashes high beam)
• Traditional dipstick to check oil level
• Yamaha diagnostic service tool coupler
• Low-maintenance, sealed battery (battery should be charged during winter storage)
2017 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec – www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $8,399 USD
Engine Type 58-cubic-inch (942cc) air-cooled SOHC V-twin; 4
Bore x Stroke 85.0mm x 83.0mm
Compression Ratio 9.0:1
Fuel Delivery Fuel injection
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive Belt
Suspension / Front Telescopic fork, 4.7-in travel
Suspension / Rear Dual piggyback shocks, 2.8-in travel
Brakes / Front Wave-type disc, 298mm
Brakes / Rear Wave-type disc, 298mm
Tires / Front 100/90-19
Tires / Rear 150/80-16
L x W x H 90.2 in x 37.2 in x 44.1 in
Seat Height 27.2 in
Wheelbase 61.8 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 29.0°
Trail 5.1 in
Ground Clearance 5.1 in
Fuel Capacity 3.4 gal
Fuel Economy** 51 mpg
Wet Weight 542 lb
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Crimson Red; Silver Shadow
2017 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec – www.Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: $9,399 CDN
Air-cooled, SOHC, 8-valves (4 per cylinder), 60 degree, V-twin
Bore and Stroke
8.2 kg-m (59.3 ft-lb) @ 3,000rpm
35mm dual bore throttle body fuel injection
Estimated Fuel Consumption±
21.6 kpl / 61 mpg (imp.)
Ignition / Starting
TCI / Electric
41mm fork / 120mm (4.7″) wheel travel
Preload adjustable premium dual gas charged piggyback shocks / 70mm (2.8″) wheel travel
298mm disc / twin piston caliper
298mm disc / single piston caliper
100/90 x 19
150/80 x 16
/// Critical Data
Rake / Trail
29 degrees / 130mm (5.1″)
12 litres (2.6 Imp. gal.)
248kg (547 lb.)
Light Metallic Grey
Specifications, appearance, and price of product are subject to change without notice.
* MSRP does not include freight, PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection), pre-rigging (boats), or taxes. Dealer may sell for less. See your local dealer for out the door pricing.
± Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha and converted into Canadian measurements. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road condition, how you ride, maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
2017 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec – www.Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ See Dealer for Pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).