COMMAND THE RIDE WITH CONFIDENCE.
2018 Yamaha MT-09 Review on Total Motorcycle:
The industry benchmark in hyper naked agile handling, high performance, value-packed sportbikes.
Transform into a state of supremacy aboard te performance packed MT‑09.
The MT-09 naked sports roadster has taken the next step in its evolution. Heading an impressive list of changes for 2017 is the addition of confidence inspiring ABS brakes, all- new super aggressive “twin eye” LED headlights and a revised fully adjustable 41 mm inverted fork thanks to the addition of compression damping adjustment. The one thing that didn’t change is the incredible 847 cc, 3 cylinder engine that is guaranteed to put a grin on your face every time you twist the throttle.
Eyes of Darkness
The motorcycle that changed everything has evolved into an even sharper and more technologically advanced Hyper Naked – and this dynamic MT-09 is built to inspire today’s generation of thrill seeking riders like no other bike in its class.
First impressions are everything – and with its intimidating LED twin-eye face, the aggressively styled MT-09 demands attention. The front winglets and radiator side fins give an ultra-sharp look – and to reinforce the bike’s uncompromising style we’ve designed a shorter tail.
With its radical looks, refined bodywork and higher specification, this unstoppable force is ready to take your Hyper Naked riding experience to the next level.
Liquid-cooled 4-stroke, 850cc in-line 3-cylinder fuel-injected engine with a downdraft intake. The engine has been tuned to provide plenty of low to mid-range torque with strong yet linear throttle response.
ABS equipped brakes feature dual 298 mm discs with 4-piston calipers up front and a 245 mm disc with single piston caliper in the rear providing peace of mind while braking under pressure or in wet conditions.
The MT-09 features an aggressively styled twin-eye headlight assembly that gives this best-selling naked sport a more menacing look. The slanting dual headlights are equipped with four LED bulbs, accompanied by dual LED positioning lights.
2018 Yamaha MT-09 Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
The Class-Defining Naked Sportbike
Packing aggressive style and impressive performance, Yamaha’s original Hypernaked blew open the sportbike segment. Now wearing the MT-09 badge and more refined than ever, it features a potent inline-triple motor, adjustable traction control, a fully-adjustable fork, ABS, and an aggressive look unlike anything else on the road.
- Powerful Inline-Triple
The MT-09’s 847cc CP3® engine combines advanced electronic systems—including YCC-T®, Yamaha D-Mode and multi-mode traction control—with a crossplane concept crankshaft to deliver an exciting, torquey and quick-revving engine character built around rider-centric control.
- Sporty, Agile Chassis
Thanks to the compact motor and narrow frame design, the MT-09 weighs in at only 425 pounds. Combined with optimized chassis dimensions and rider ergonomics, the MT-09 achieves a sporty, light and neutral handling character, with an upright riding position ready for just about anything.
- Adjustable Suspension
With a fully-adjustable fork and two-way adjustable laydown Monocross® shock, the MT-09 brings improved tuneability across a wide range of road conditions and riding styles, with outstanding front-end feedback and confidence.
- Cutting-Edge LED Lighting
With a brilliant quad LED headlight assembly and bright LED taillight design, the MT-09 illuminates the road ahead and provides exceptional road visibility with a high-quality appearance.
- Compact, 847cc, DOHC, 12-valve (4-valves/cyl) in-line triple
- Assist & slipper clutch
- Traction control system (2 modes plus off)
- 41 mm inverted fork with compression & rebound damping adjustment
- ABS equipped brakes
- Super aggressive, LED “twin eye” headlights & full LED lighting
- Swingarm mounted rear fender & license plate holder
- Accessory quick shifter ready.
2018 Yamaha MT-09 Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
- Slim, compact, 847cc, DOHC, 4- valve, liquid-cooled, 42.5 degree inclined, inline-three cylinder engine. The engine has been tuned to provide plenty of low & mid-range torque with strong yet linear throttle response.
- 4-valve, downdraft style combustion chamber
- excellent torque output… especially in the low to mid rpm range
- 4-valve design maximizes flow into & out of combustion chamber
- 31 mm intake & 25 mm exhaust valves
- valve angle is 26.5 degrees to keep combustion chamber compact
- stainless steel valves feature an Isonite surface treatment & carburized tips for excellent durability & wear resistance
- Valve adjustment intervals are every 42,000 kms.
- 120 degree crankshaft.
- design reduces inertia torque while emphasizing linear torque in response to the rider’s throttle action
- design has been optimized to achieve strong torque over a broad rpm range
- fast, linear throttle response
- engine design allows a whole new level of “rider – machine communication”
- Lightweight “coupling force balancer” is used to reduce engine vibration for excellent rider comfort.
- “Fracture split” connecting rods feature a “nut less” design.
- lower end “cap” of the rod is made from the same piece of material as the upper portion; the 2 pieces are “split” apart using a special fracturing process & then machined
- design aids in establishing true big end roundness & greater precision in con rod dimensions for excellent durability despite the high horsepower loads.
- Lightweight, forged, aluminum short skirt pistons.
- design aids in fast engine response
- reduces mechanical vibration
- excellent durability
- Direct ceramic composite plated cylinder uses “liner less” bores.
- ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block, eliminating the liner & reducing weight
- excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery
- coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder & piston, reducing friction & increasing power
- Offset cylinder design.
- cylinder is “offset” relative to the crank (toward exhaust side)
- reduces frictional losses between the pistons and the cylinder wall during the power stroke for improved power output
- One-piece cylinder and upper crankcase assembly.
- superior engine & chassis rigidity (engine is a stressed member)
- reduces weight
- Lightweight hollow camshafts.
- cam profiles are designed for excellent torque in the low & mid rpm range
- Crankcases feature a “Tri-Axis” layout for the crank, main & drive axles.
- creates a more compact & shorter engine front to back
- shorter engine allows for optimum engine placement in the “sweet spot” of frame for desired weight distribution & great handling
- Closed loop Mikuni, 41mm, throttle body fuel injection system.
- system uses throttle position sensor (TPS) & acceleration position sensor (APS)
- injectors feature 12 holes & 20 degree spray pattern
- injectors spray fuel directly at the intake valve
- “closed loop system” uses an oxygen sensor to “sniff” spent exhaust & automatically adjust the fuel / air ratio for reduced emissions
- fuel injection benefits include choke-free starting, steady idling during warm up, excellent fuel economy & reduced emissions
- Yamaha Chip Control Throttle (YCC-T).
- YCC-T electronically controls throttle valves for outstanding throttle response & controllability
- YCC-T system provides precise control of intake air volume for a smoother torque curve
- ECU that controls YCC-T is capable of responding to changes at a speed of 1000th of a second
- Yamaha D-Mode variable throttle control … 3 modes available.
- enables the rider to adjust the performance characteristics of the engine based on riding preferences or riding conditions
- standard mode emphasizes very linear throttle & torque feel of the engine
- A mode allows the rider to enjoy even sportier engine performance in the low to mid rpms
- B Mode reduces throttle response for riding situations that require softer power characteristics, such as slippery or wet conditions
- D-Mode button is conveniently located on the RHS handle bar switch gear
- Traction control system with 2 modes plus off.
- mode 1 provides mid-level intervention (allows some wheel spin)
- mode 2 provides maximum intervention (no wheel spin)
- works in conjunction with the YCC-T system (utilizing same wheel sensors as ABS system)
- system senses when the rear wheel begins to spin & modifies the YCC-T function, ignition timing & fuel injection volume to reduce power & eliminate wheel spin
- status indicator / warning light in meter assembly
- Electronic Control Unit (ECU) utilizes a powerful 32-bit processor for fast control of the injection, engine management & ignition processes.
- Air box features dual resonator chambers & unequal internal intake funnel lengths for all 3 cylinders.
- benefit is a wide torque curve & exciting intake sound that accentuates the exhaust note
- viscous paper type air filter is used
- Compact 6-speed transmission.
- gear ratios are optimized to accentuate the torque & throttle response of the engine
- accessory plug & play quick shifter
- Compact, slipper (back limiter) clutch with assist.
- slipper clutch reduces the negative effects of engine braking on handling & suspension
- reduces rear wheel hop/ chatter when decelerating for improved riding performance & smoother corner entries
- assist function reduces clutch lever effort by up to 20%
- Accessory quick shifter ready.
- allows for faster upshifts by eliminating the need to close the throttle or pull in the clutch
- works with standard shift pattern
- reduces wear & tear on the clutch & transmission
- easy plug-and-play installation (part number: BS2-E81A0-V0-00)
- Revised, compact, low mounted, 3 into 1 exhaust system.
- stainless steel header pipes with special “Nano-film” coating
- muffler is a triple expansion type with a 3-way honeycomb catalyzer to reduce emissions
- low mounted design centralizes mass for excellent handling & light weight feeling
- revised muffler cover & end cap for improved appearance
- Flat design radiator with new side scoops.
- protector plate on lower edge of rad prevents small stones from hitting the rad & cooling fan
- new side scoops direct air into rad plus adds a styling protector plate on lower edge of rad prevents small stones from hitting the rad & cooling fan
- Wet sump lubrication system with liquid-cooled oil cooler & easy access drain plug & oil filter.
- liquid-cooled oil cooler maintains stable lubricant temperatures for extended engine life
- easy access spin-on type oil filter & drain plug for fast oil changes
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
- produces a strong spark for fast starts
- provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
- Air Injection System (AIS… not ram air) injects fresh air into exhaust ports to fully burn any unburnt fuel, reducing exhaust emissions.
///CHASSIS / SUSPENSION
- CF (Controlled Filling) die cast, twin spar, diamond-type, aluminum frame
- provides an optimized rigidity balance for incredible sports performance & excellent stability
- engine is a stressed member of the chassis, allowing a lighter, more compact main frame
- light, agile handling qualities
- Riding position is one of the most important features of the MT-09 chassis.
- upright seating position offers a balance between sports handling & excellent rider comfort
- Key chassis geometry figures include:
- 1440mm (56.7″) wheelbase, 25 degrees of rake & 103 mm of trail
- front to rear weight distribution is 51 / 49%
- lean angle is 51 degrees, highlighting the sporty nature of the MT-09
- chassis dimensions & shape are designed to enhance the qualities of the 3 cylinder engine, to centralize mass & lower the centre of gravity
- Detachable, round tube steel rear sub frame.
- allows easy access to rear suspension components
- reduces costs in the event of damage
- Externally mounted, C.F. (Controlled Filling) die cast aluminum, truss-type rear swingarm.
- external design means the swingarm mounts on the outside of the frame spars… not the inside
- external design keeps unit narrower in the seat – fuel tank junction which influences seat height & makes it easier to touch the ground
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for superior suspension performance
- excellent rear wheel traction & control
- Fully adjustable, 41mm inverted fork offers 137mm (5.4″) of wheel travel.
- spring preload, compression & rebound adjustability
- separated adjustments; compression adjustment in right fork, rebound in left fork
- inverted design benefits include, reduced “unsprung” weight & reduced fork flex since the larger diameter tubes are gripped in the triple clamps
- adjustable design allows the rider to tailor suspension settings to match rider weight, road conditions & riding style to optimize handling & suspension performance
- Lightweight, aluminum upper & lower triple clamps.
- Adjustable link-type Monocross rear suspension with 130 mm (5.1″) of wheel travel.
- rear shock adjustments include: 7-steps of spring preload & 3 turns of rebound damping
- ABS equipped, dual 298 mm floating front discs squeezed by radial mount, mono-block, 4-piston calipers.
- radial mount design helps to reduce caliper distortion for improved braking performance
- master cylinder uses a 16 mm piston
- excellent stopping power & control with good lever feedback
- ABS equipped, 245 mm rear disc squeezed by a lightweight single piston, slide-type Nissin caliper.
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS).
- ABS controlling ECU & hydraulic unit are combined into a single compact unit to reduce weight & centralize mass
- when ABS system senses impending wheel lock-up (via active type wheel sensors) it regulates hydraulic braking pressure to the point just before the wheel or wheels lock-up
- ABS benefits include; excellent control under hard braking or when braking on wet, slippery or loose surfaces
- Lightweight, cast-aluminum 10-spoke wheels.
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for excellent suspension & handling characteristics
- front rim size is MT3.50-17; rear rim size is MT5.50-17
- Conventional, tapered aluminum handlebar.
- lightweight & strong
- offers a comfortable, upright riding position for excellent all day riding comfort
- traditional design allows easy replacement to a different “bend” if desired
- 14-litre steel fuel tank.
- slim design with great knee grip
- steel allows use of magnetic style tank bags
- reserve portion of the tank is 2.8 litres (low fuel light illuminates)
- internal electric fuel pump
- One piece, long design rider & passenger seat.
- seat height is 815 mm (32.1″)
- dual texture seat cover
- Compact, liquid crystal multi-function meter / instrument.
- functions (all digital) include: bar-style tachometer, digital speedometer, odometer, dual trip meters, fuel gauge, fuel reserve trip meter (counts kilometers since low fuel light illuminated) coolant temperature, gear indicator, instant & average fuel consumption, intake air temperature, D-mode display & engine trouble diagnostic mode
- background illumination is adjustable
- Super aggressive, LED “twin eye” headlights with LED position lights.
- compact LED twin headlights (2 – LEDs per headlight)
- on low beam the inner 2 – LEDs illuminate; on high beam all 4 – LEDs illuminate
- LED position lighting below the main twin eye lights (3 – LEDs per strip)
- LEDs have a much longer service life Vs. conventional bulbs & also use less power
- LED lighting compliments MT-09’s aggressive, lightweight “naked roadster styling”
- 4 – LED tail light with unique running / brake light display.
- Forged aluminum, swingarm mounted rear fender & license plate holder.
- Triple auxiliary DC connectors (2 x 2A & 1 x 5A)
- Lightweight forged aluminum footrests, shifter and rear brake pedal
- Lockable steering
- Excessive lean angle engine cut-out switch (if unit is on its side the engine will shut down)
- Durable “O”-ring drive chain
- Convenient oil level sight glass
- Low-maintenance sealed battery (battery should be charged during winter storage)
- Yamaha diagnostic tool connector
NOTE: The MT-09 offers a significant level of power and performance. It is not intended for novice or inexperienced riders.
2018 Yamaha MT-09 – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $8,999 USD
Engine Type 847cc liquid-cooled, DOHC, inline 3-cylinder; 12 valves
Bore x Stroke 78.0mm x 59.1mm
Compression Ratio 11.5:1
Fuel Delivery Fuel injection with YCC-T
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission 6-speed; multiplate assist and slipper clutch
Final Drive Chain
Suspension / Front 41mm inverted fork, fully adjustable; 5.4-in travel
Suspension / Rear Single shock, adjustable preload and rebound
damping; 5.1-in travel
Brakes / Front Dual 298mm hydraulic disc; ABS
Brakes / Rear 245mm hydraulic disc; ABS
Tires / Front 120/70ZR17
Tires / Rear 180/55ZR17
L x W x H 81.7 in x 32.1 in x 44.1 in
Seat Height 32.3 in
Wheelbase 56.7 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 25.0°
Trail 4.1 in
Maximum Ground Clerance 5.3 in
Fuel Capacity 3.7 gal
Fuel Economy 44 mpg
Wet Weight 425 lb
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Matte Raven Black; Matte Gray; Rapid Red
2018 Yamaha MT-09 – Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: $9,999 CDN
Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 12-valve (4-valves/cyl), inline-three cylinder
Bore and Stroke
78 x 59.1 mm
8.9 kg-m (64.3 ft-lbs.) @ 8,500 rpm
YCC-T, D-Mode & Traction Control
Mikuni 41mm throttle body F.I.
Estimated Fuel Consumption±
18.6kpl / 52.5 mpg (Imp.)
Ignition / Starting
TCI / Electric
Adjustable 41mm inverted fork / 137mm (5.4″) wheel travel
Adjustable link Monocross / 130mm (5.1″) wheel travel
Dual 298 mm discs / radial mount 4-piston calipers / ABS equipped
245 mm disc / single piston caliper / ABS equipped
2,075 mm (81.7″)
815 mm (32.1″)
1,120 mm (44.1″)
1,440 mm (56.7″)
Rake / Trail
25° / 103 mm
135 mm (5.3″)
820 mm (32.3″)
14 litres (3.1 imp. gallons)
193 kg (425 lb.)
Matte Metallic Gray
Matte Dark Metallic Gray
2018 Yamaha MT-09 – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ See Dealer for Pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine type 3-cylinder, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valves
Displacement 847 cm³
Bore x stroke 78.0 mm x 59.1 mm
Compression ratio 11.5 : 1
Maximum power 84.6 kW (115PS) @ 10,000 rpm
Limited power version N/A
Maximum torque 87.5 Nm (8.9 kg-m) @ 8,500 rpm
Lubrication system Wet sump
Clutch type Wet, Multiple Disc
Fuel system Fuel Injection
Ignition system TCI
Starter system Electric
Transmission system Constant Mesh, 6-speed
Final transmission Chain
Fuel consumption 5.5 l/100km
CO2 emission 127 g/km
Front suspension system Telescopic forks
Front travel 137 mm
Caster angle 25º
Trail 103 mm
Rear suspension system Swingarm, (Link type suspension)
Rear travel 130 mm
Front brake Hydraulic dual disc, Ø 298 mm
Rear brake Hydraulic single disc, Ø 245 mm
Front tyre 120/70ZR17M/C (58W) (Tubeless)
Rear tyre 180/55ZR17M/C (73W) (Tubeless)
Overall length 2,075 mm
Overall width 815 mm
Overall height 1,120 mm
Seat height 820 mm
Wheel base 1,440 mm
Minimum ground clearance 135 mm
Wet weight (including full oil and fuel tank) 193 kg
Fuel tank capacity 14 L
Oil tank capacity 3.4 L
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).