THE ULTIMATE MX 2‑STROKE.
Pure lightweight 2‑stroke performance combined with legendary Yamaha reliability and durability.
Revive memories of the good ol’ days with a YZ two-stroke! Nothing beats the “bark,” and instantaneous throttle response of the lightweight YZ250. Not only is a 2-stroke more affordable and easier to maintain, they also provide a very entertaining ride.
Liquid-cooled, 249cc, piston-reed-valve-inducted, 2-stroke engine is lightweight and compact.
YPVS power valve system features a total of three slides (one main and two auxiliary slides) which provides the benefits of both solid, low rpm power delivery and a strong top-end punch. The YPVS system varies the exhaust port height and timing based on engine rpm.
If you’ve been around the dirt bike scene for a while you’ll know that the YZ250 has a pretty impressive track record. Over the years this thoroughbred racer has won just about everything worth winning in motocross and supercross.
With explosive engine performance and a lightweight aluminium chassis, the YZ250 attracts a loyal following of riders who grew up with 2-strokes. And it’s also caught the attention of a whole new generation of younger riders who just want to get out there and ride.
The modern factory bike looks and lean image fits the cool bodywork – and with its YZ-F type forks and rear suspension, the YZ250 is ready to win!
2018 Yamaha YZ250 Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- Compact, liquid-cooled, 249cc, piston-reed-valve-inducted, 2-stroke engine
- Smooth shifting, 6-speed, close ratio transmission
- Keihin PWK38S carb with 4-petal carbon fiber reeds
- Yamaha’s patented YPVS exhaust power valve system
- Lightweight, aluminum, semi-double-cradle frame with detachable rear subframe
- Fully adjustable KYB suspension
- 270 mm front & 245 mm rear disc brakes
- Adjustable aluminum handlebar & titanium foot pegs
- Aggressive, modern styling
- Slim design, modern aggressive bodywork allows easy rider movements
- Lightweight YZ250F/450F based wide footpegs provide excellent grip & ground clearance
- Rugged chain guide helps prevent the chain from de-railing and also helps to protect the rear sprocket.
- Serrated rear brake lever and folding shift lever tip
- Stainless steel, inner clutch cable provides excellent strength, smooth action and long life
- Heavy-duty chain
- E10 friendly fuel system components
- Modern Styling
Modern, aggressive styling, including front fender, front number plate, radiator shrouds, side number plates, air box, rear fender, fork guards, as well as the rear brake disc protector, rear brake caliper protector and wider foot pegs—just like the 4-strokes.
- Lightweight Frame
A light aluminum frame housing a patented YPVS™-equipped ripper of an engine results in an awesome power-to-weight ratio.
- Rider-Friendly Chassis
Ultra light weight means nimble handling with less fatigue.
- 270mm Front Brake
Large 270mm front disc brake coupled with high-performance pad material offers outstanding machine control and performance, with exceptional stopping power and controllability.
2018 Yamaha YZ250 Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
- Lightweight, compact, liquid-cooled, 249cc, piston-reed-valve-inducted, 2-stroke.
- super crisp, instant ‘right now’ engine power (when in the ‘power band’)
- easy & economical to maintain, service & rebuild
- Lightweight, flat top forged aluminum piston.
- excellent durability
- light weight means fast engine response
- Liner-less, ceramic composite cylinder bore with ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block.
- excellent heat dissipation
- reduced weight (no heavy iron liner)
- reduced friction
- extended cylinder life
- Lightweight, ball bearing style crank.
- lightweight design for fast throttle response
- friction reducing crank seals
- YPVS power valve system features a total of three slides (one main and two auxiliary slides).
- YPVS system varies the exhaust port height & timing based on engine rpm
- provides the benefits of both solid, low rpm power delivery & strong top-end punch
- Keihin PWK38S carburetor with power jet and throttle position sensor (TPS).
- precise fuel – air mixing
- extra-crisp throttle response throughout the powerband
- Special-design, 4-petal, carbon fiber reeds.
- excellent throttle response & engine performance across the entire RPM range
- Smooth-shifting, 5-speed, close-ratio transmission.
- ratios are matched to engine output for maximum performance
- optimal hook-up for outstanding acceleration & corner-exiting power
- transmission features ‘involute splines’ for smooth, positive shifting even under power
- Heavy-duty, multi-plate clutch.
- quick-access, outer clutch cover allows for fast, easy clutch maintenance
- CD (capacitor discharge) ignition system.
- delivers a precise spark for fast, sure starts
- ensures optimal timing at all rpms for fast, strong response.
- High capacity, washable, dual-stage, foam air filter.
- excellent filtering qualities
- reduces maintenance costs… foam filter is re-useable
- Large-capacity, dual radiators feature 10-row cores.
- maximum cooling efficiency
- Lightweight exhaust system.
- computer designed expansion chamber provides maximum engine performance
- lightweight, aluminum silencer is re-buildable for optimum performance & reduced noise levels
- Works-style clutch lever & race-spec ‘barrel adjuster.’
- light, easy lever pull
- for on-the-fly clutch adjustments
- Lightweight, aluminum, semi-double-cradle frame.
- combines with compact engine to provide an awesome power to weight ratio
- obvious benefit of an aluminum frame is a significant weight reduction
- Yamaha maintains the semi-double cradle design because it offers an excellent ‘rigidity balance’ between lateral & torsional rigidity while offering controlled flex in the longitudinal plane
- result is a light aluminum frame, which provides excellent handling, good ride quality, excellent stability & responsive cornering performance
- Removable rear subframe.
- constructed of square-section, lightweight aluminum
- detachable design allows easy access when servicing rear suspension components
- reduces costs in the event of a loop out
- Lightweight, tapered design aluminum swingarm.
- produced by ‘hydro forming’, a forming method that uses high pressure water to form shapes
- excellent rear wheel traction & control
- lightweight design
- Cast aluminum upper and forged lower triple clamps.
- strong yet lightweight
- fast, agile handling
- Adjustable handlebar mounts.
- allow handlebar to be moved 10mm rearward if desired
- ‘Speed Sensitive System’ 48mm, adjustable, inverted, ‘twin chamber’ KYB fork. Front wheel travel is 300mm (11.8′).
- twin chamber design means the damper unit is in a separate structure which prevents aerated fork oil from entering the inner damper assembly & degrading its damping abilities
- the inner damper is pressurized, it also eliminates bubbles forming in the oil
- ‘Speed Sensitive’ design means the damping force is controlled by piston speed, not position in the fork
- low friction fork seals provide reduced stiction for a smoother stroke
- fork adjustments include: 20-way compression damping & 20-way rebound damping
- optional fork springs are available through Genuine Yamaha parts
- Fork also features a Transfer Control Valve (TCV).
- TCV enhances damping from mid to full stroke & improves bottoming characteristics
- TCV offers more precise control throughout the full suspension stroke
- TCV is located on the upside of the spring & its function is controlled by piston speed, not piston position, hence the term ‘Speed Sensitive System fork’
- Large ‘wrap-around’ plastic fork protectors.
- provide excellent protection from dirt, mud & stone chips
- ‘self-supporting’ design reduces friction for smoother stroke
- Monocross link rear suspension features a fully adjustable, Kayaba, piggyback shock which provides 315mm (12.4′) of wheel travel.
- features separate adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping
- adjustments include: spring preload, 20-way rebound damping, 20-way low-speed compression damping & 2 turns of high speed compression damping
- damper rod is 18 mm in diameter
- Kashima coating (friction reducer) is used in the shock body & sub tank to reduce friction & improve suspension performance
- piggyback shock utilizes a full rebound oil lock system for excellent suspension function & great ride quality
- 270 mm floating front ‘wave-style’ disc brake with Nissin twin piston caliper.
- ‘wave’ style rotor (disc) reduces weight, improves cooling (more surface area) & improves styling
- braking performance is excellent with great feel & control
- ‘Shorty’ front brake lever is adjustable for various hand sizes.
- 245 mm rear ‘wave-style’ disc brake with single piston caliper.
- integrated master cylinder (fluid reservoir is integrated into the top of the master cylinder)
- ‘wave’ style rotor (disc) reduces weight, improves cooling (more surface area) & improves styling
- strong stopping power with excellent feel & control
- Rugged, plastic rear caliper & lower rear disc protectors / guards.
- Lightweight, Sun Star rear sprocket.
- increases the contact area between the sprocket & chain rollers
- reduces the load on the chain & increases service life of chain & sprocket
- Lightweight, D.I.D. 21′ front and 19′ rear rims & premium Dunlop tires.
- provide excellent durability
- reduces unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance & handling
- ‘Flat-design’ seat features multi density foam.
- provides good initial softness / comfort and then increases the firmness as more pressure is applied
- ‘pebble’ finish on the top and side surfaces provides excellent rider grip & durability
- Seat, handlebar & fuel tank ergonomics provide excellent freedom of movement for the rider.
2018 Yamaha YZ250 – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $7,399 USD
Bore x Stroke 66.4mm × 72.0mm
Compression Ratio 8.9~10.6:1
Fuel Delivery Keihin® PWK38S
Transmission Constant-mesh 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive Chain
Suspension / Front KYB® Speed-Sensitive System inverted fork;
fully adjustable, 11.8-in travel
Suspension / Rear KYB® single shock; fully adjustable, 12.4-in
Brakes / Front Hydraulic disc, 270mm
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic disc, 245mm
Tires / Front 80/100-21 Dunlop® MX52
Tires / Rear 110/90-19 Dunlop® MX52
L x W x H 85.7 in x 32.6 in x 51.4 in
Seat Height 39.1 in
Wheelbase 58.3 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 27.7°
Trail 4.8 in
Ground Clearance 14.2 in
Fuel Capacity 2.1 gal
Wet Weight 227 lb
Warranty 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Team Yamaha Blue
2018 Yamaha YZ250 – Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: $7,849 CDN
2-stroke, liquid-cooled, reed-valve, single
Bore and Stroke
66.4 x 72 mm
Ignition / Starting
CDI / Kick
primary ratio 3.000 (63/21)
secondary ratio 3.571 (50/14)
1st gear 1.929 (27/14)
2nd gear 1.533 (23/15)
3rd gear 1.278 (23/18)
4th gear 1.091 (24/22)
5th gear 0.952 (20/21)
Adjustable 48 mm inverted fork / 300 mm (11.8″) wheel travel
Fully adjustable link Monocross / 315 mm (12.4″) wheel travel
270 mm floating disc / twin piston caliper
245 mm disc / single piston caliper
2,185 mm (86″)
825 mm (32.5”)
1,290 mm (50.8”)
1,485 mm (58.5”)
360 mm (14.2″)
970 mm (38.2”)
8 litres (1.8 imp. gallons)
103 kg (227 lbs)
Yamaha Racing Blue
2018 Yamaha YZ250 – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £6,799 GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine type liquid-cooled, 2-stroke, Forward-inclined single cylinder, reed valve with YPVS
Bore x stroke 66.4 mm x 72.0 mm
Compression ratio 8.9 ~ 10.6 : 1
Maximum power – (
Limited power version – (
Maximum torque –
Lubrication system Premix
Clutch type Wet, multiple-disc coil spring
Fuel system Alu semi-double cradle
Ignition system CDI
Starter system Kick
Transmission system Constant Mesh, 5-speed
Final transmission Chain
Fuel consumption –
CO2 emission –
Frame Alu semi-double cradle
Front suspension system Upside-down telescopic fork
Front travel 300 mm
Caster angle 26º
Trail 109 mm
Rear suspension system Swingarm, (link suspension)
Rear travel 315 mm
Front brake Hydraulic single disc, Ø 250 mm
Rear brake Hydraulic single disc, Ø 245 mm
Front tyre 80/100-21 51M
Rear tyre 110/90-19 62M
Overall length 2,147 mm
Overall width 827 mm
Overall height 1,299 mm
Seat height 976 mm
Wheel base 1,446 mm
Minimum ground clearance 367 mm
Wet weight (including full oil and fuel tank) 103 kg
Fuel tank capacity 8.0
Oil tank capacity 0.8
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).