YZ450F‑INSPIRED. CROSS‑COUNTRY WIRED.
Designed for closed course X‑Country racing, combines light, nimble handling with the power of a 450.
The YZ450FX comes with a world championship winning heritage. Our engineers draw on the highest level of competition for inspiration & innovations. From engine design to suspension to exterior styling, the racing performance & presence of our YZ models can be found throughout our entire competition model lineup.
At the heart of the YZ450FX is our proven YZ450F rearward slanted, “reversed” fuel injected engine featuring cross country oriented tuning. Electric starting is a feature many riders will appreciate and along with its wide ratio transmission, adds serious versatility to the largest member of our “FX” family. Whether competing in cross country events, vet motocross, ice racing or even snow biking, the FX is a winning choice.
FRAME, SUSPENSION & BRAKES
Compact “Bilateral Beam” aluminum frame centralizes mass for exceptional handling & light weight manoeuverability. By centralizing mass, our engineers have produced a machine that feels and handles more like a 250. Add in our YZ based, easy to tune KYB “SSS” suspension and your trophy case just might need an extra shelf.
2018 Yamaha YZ450FX Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- Cross country focused model featuring Yamaha’s latest off road technology
- “Reversed” rearward slanted engine design with 4-valve cylinder head (titanium valves)
- Forward mounted fuel injection & rear exiting “wrap around” exhaust
- Electric starting
- 5-speed, wide ratio transmission
- Bilateral Beam aluminum frame
- YZ based, fully adjustable suspension
- 270 mm front & 245 mm rear disc brakes
- 18 inch rear wheel
- Adjustable handlebar
- GYTR Power Tuner ready
- Lightweight aluminum side stand
- Heavy duty plastic engine skid plate
- Convenient oil level sight glass
- Lightweight, extra wide foot pegs
- Folding shift lever tip helps prevent damage
- Heavy duty rubber swingarm protector
- Lightweight chain guide / support helps reduce chance of chain derailment & helps protect rear sprocket
- Heavy duty sealed “O” ring drive chain
- Easy access GYTR Power Tuner & Yamaha Diagnostic tool connectors
- Sealed, no spill, gel type, low maintenance battery (battery should be charged during winter storage)
- Innovative Hare Scramble/GNCC® Engine Design
The YZ450FX™ shares the revolutionary rearward-slanted-cylinder design of the YZ450F™ that allows for a straight downdraft intake with a symmetrical port layout. In the YZ450FX, this engine delivers a controllable, torquey power character with strong top-end power tuned specifically for cross-country racing.
- Bilateral Beam Aluminum Frame
A nearly identical bilateral beam frame that is found on the championship winning YZ450F is used on the YZ450FX. It places the engine, fuel tank and exhaust close to the center mass of the bike for extremely light and nimble handling character.
- Advanced Fuel Injection
The YZ450F-based Keihin® 44mm throttle body fuel injection system is tuned for cross-country racing and ensures smooth throttle response and easy starting in nearly all conditions.
- Cross Country-Specific Suspension
Industry-leading, YZ450F-derived KYB® spring-type forks with speed sensitive damping and a linkage-type, KYB® rear shock both feature fully adjustable settings designed specifically for cross country racing.
- Cross Country Podium Ready
With a two gallon fuel tank, sealed O-ring chain, and an 18-inch rear wheel with XC racing tires, the YZ450FX is ready to win right out of the box.
- Electric Starter System
The YZ450FX features an electric starter to help reduce rider fatigue along with a main switch-free electrical system for easier starting off.
2018 Yamaha YZ450FX Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
- YZ450F based, “reversed” liquid-cooled, 450cc, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), 4-stroke, single with fuel injection and electric starting. The engine has been tuned for excellent “ride-ability & controllability” delivering a broad, easy to use power band with excellent power characteristics.
- Rearward slanted, reversed cylinder design.
- rearward slant moves a significant amount of rotating weight toward the centre of the chassis
- rearward slanted design centralizes mass for light, agile handling
- “Reversed” engine design (FI system is front mounted, exhaust exits from rear of cylinder).
- FI throttle body & air box are front mounted, providing a straight intake path
- straight intake path into the cylinder provides optimum fuel/ air flow for excellent power
- front mounted intake keeps fuel cooler since engine heat has less effect on incoming fuel (cooler fuel is more dense & increases power)
- design centralizes mass for light, agile handling
- Electric start with auto decompression system. Unit can be re-started in any gear.
Note: kick starter is available as an accessory (P/N = B91-15602-00-00).
- there is no main ignition switch on this model
- electric start button (RHS handlebar) activates the entire electrical system
- kill switch (LHS handlebar) if held for a few seconds shuts down entire electrical system
- removal of kick starter & related gears etc. reduces weight
- Compact 4-valve cylinder head features a 12.5:1 compression ratio.
- titanium 37 mm intake valves & titanium 30.5 mm exhaust valves
- 4-valve design offers optimum flow for excellent power & torque
- compact combustion chamber design
- Lightweight titanium valves use load-reduced oval valve springs.
- titanium reduces reciprocating weight & allows for a higher rpm limit (40% lighter than steel valves)
- reduced friction (load reduced) valve springs
- Automatic cam chain tensioner.
- reduces maintenance & mechanical engine noise
- special cam chain “sliders” reduce internal frictional losses
- Lightweight hollow intake & exhaust camshafts.
- provide a broad power band well suited to cross country type racing / riding
- Lightweight, “liner-less” ceramic composite plated aluminum cylinder.
- reduced weight… no sleeve or heavy liner… plating is sprayed directly on the aluminum block
- ceramic coating insures faster, more uniform heat dissipation
- coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder & piston, reducing friction & increasing power
- Cylinder is “offset” relative to the crankshaft (to exhaust side) reducing frictional losses between piston & cylinder wall during the power stroke.
- Cylinder “cutaways” allow air “trapped” under the piston to enter a side chamber (or cutaway) to reduce horsepower-robbing “pumping losses.”
- The crankcase also utilizes cutaways to reduce “pumping losses”. The crankcase cutaways match the cutaways in the cylinder for maximum efficiency.
- Lightweight, short-skirt, forged aluminum piston.
- lightweight design means faster throttle response
- reduced mechanical vibration for excellent durability
- special coating on piston skirt reduces friction
- Piston oil cooler jet nozzle directs oil to the desired portion of the cylinder, rod & underside of piston.
- reduces piston, cylinder & rod temperatures for excellent durability
- YZ450F inspired crankshaft & connecting rod features a carburizing process for excellent durability.
- Lightweight gear driven counter balancer shaft.
- reduces vibration for improved rider comfort & reduces rider fatigue
- 5-speed, wide ratio transmission utilizes a 2-bar, floating shift guide system & a 14 mm shift shaft.
- smooth, positive shifts
- good durability in the event of a crash (14 mm shift shaft)
- optimized ratios for good performance in difficult sections & solid top end speed for fast sections
- see spec page for gear ratios
- Heavy duty, multi-plate, clutch with quick access magnesium outer cover.
- clutch is designed for the rigours of cross country / enduro riding
- light lever pull for reduced hand fatigue during long rides / races
- quick access outer cover provides fast & easy clutch access
- 44mm Keihin throttle body fuel injection system.
- 12-hole injector
- maximizes fuel atomization for more complete combustion & excellent power delivery
- FI settings are specific to cross country type riding
- FI benefits include optimum fuel – air ratio regardless of outside air temperature & altitude
- other benefits include excellent starting & throttle response
- cold start knob also doubles as an idle adjuster
- The injector spray pattern, spray direction and the distance to the intake valves have been optimized. Forward mounted straight intake tract helps to maximize the benefits of the FI system & overall power output.
- Optional, compact, hand held “GYTR Power Tuner” allows tailoring of both fuel injection duration & ignition mapping.
- 9- different setting points can be accessed for both fuel duration & ignition maps
- maps can be stored & shared with other Power Tuners if desired
- easy access GYTR Power Tuner connector port
- Forward mounted air box features a washable, dual-stage, foam air filter.
- No tools required to access air filter
- Wet sump lubrication system.
- reduces weight (no remote oil tank or oil lines)
- eases maintenance (easier & faster oil changes)
- Easy access “cartridge-type” oil filter.
- Lightweight, YZ450F based, single core, dual rads.
- pre-wired for accessory electric cooling fan (fits on right side rad only)
- fan kit is available as a Yamaha Genuine accessory
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
- produces a strong spark for fast starts
- provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
- High capacity AC magneto to power the FI system.
- Lightweight, wrap-around exhaust system
- exits from the rear of the engine & circles cylinder body
- design ensures the optimum tuned header length
- maximizes exhaust “pulse effect” for excellent power delivery
- centralizes mass by moving weight closer to the centre of the chassis
- Lightweight, aluminum, re-packable muffler (aka silencer).
- YZ450F design with minor modifications… sound output is 94 dB
- Excessive lean angle sensor
- Will shut down the engine if the bike lays on its side
- helps prevent costly engine damage
- no special procedure to re-start the bike… just kick it and go
- YZ450F based, compact, lightweight “Bilateral Beam” aluminum frame.
- centralizes mass for exceptional handling & manoeuvrability
- frame offers an optimum rigidity balance between strength, rigidity & tuned flex, plus excellent shock absorbing qualities
- Lightweight, tapered aluminum swingarm.
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for optimum suspension performance
- excellent rear wheel traction & control
- Lightweight detachable rear sub frame.
- constructed of square-section, lightweight aluminum pipe with no bends
- allows easy access when servicing rear suspension components
- reduces cost in the event of a loop-out
- YZ450F based, 48mm, adjustable, inverted, Kayaba “SSS” cartridge fork with 310mm (12.2″) of wheel travel.
- valving & settings are designed for cross country racing
- front fork adjustments include: 20-way compression damping & 20-way rebound damping
- optional fork springs are available through Genuine Yamaha parts
- Fork features a twin-chamber, “Speed Sensitive System” design meaning the damper unit is in a separate structure (completely separated air & oil chambers) which prevents aerated fork oil from entering the inner damper assembly and degrading its damping abilities. Since the inner damper is pressurized, it also eliminates bubbles forming in the oil.
- Fork also features a Transfer Control Valve (TCV).
- TCV enhances damping from mid to full stroke & improves bottoming characteristics
- TCV offers more precise control throughout the full suspension stroke
- TCV is located on the upside of the spring & its function is controlled by piston speed, not piston position, hence the term “Speed Sensitive System fork”.
- Large “wrap-around” plastic fork protectors provide excellent lower fork tube protection.
- “self-supporting” design reduces friction for smoother fork operation
- YZ450F based, Monocross link rear suspension features a fully adjustable Kayaba piggyback shock providing 318 mm (12.5″) of wheel travel.
- features separate adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping
- shock is in-line with the center axis of the frame for excellent control
- shock valving & settings are tailored for cross country style racing
- shock adjustments include: threaded spring preload, 20 -way low-speed compression damping, 2 turns of high speed compression damping & 30-way rebound damping
- 270mm floating front “wave-style” disc & compact Nissin twin piston caliper.
- wave disc design reduces weight & improves cooling (wave design offer more surface area for better cooling)
- “Shorty style” adjustable front brake lever can be adjusted to fit various hand sizes.
- 245 mm rear disc brake features a “wave-style” disc & single piston Nissin caliper & master cylinder.
- Rear caliper & lower portion of the wave disc are protected by heavy duty plastic protectors.
- Lightweight, plastic resin 7.5 litre fuel tank with compact in-tank electric fuel pump.
- reduces centre of gravity & centralizes mass for exceptional handling & a lightweight feeling
- tank can be flipped on its back without disconnecting fuel line (easy servicing under the tank)
- Handlebar mounted engine trouble & low fuel warning lights
- Adjustable handlebar holders offer a total of 4 different handlebar positions with an adjustment range of 30mm.
- suits wide variety of rider sizes
- handlebar holders are rubber mounted for reduced vibration & improved rider comfort
- Compact body work.
- reduces weight & enhances the lightweight feel and look of the YZ450FX
- flat design, “minimal” bodywork allows for fast, easy rider movements & a natural riding position
- minimal design aids in keeping the body looking good (less plastic to scratch or damage)
- graphics are impregnated directly into the plastic rad shrouds & will not peel off or get damaged by pressure washing
- Flat seat design.
- provides easy rider movements
- features a “cap cover” to access the fuel cap
- non-slip seat cover material resists clogging with dirt or mud
- Rugged Excel rims.
- excellent durability
- reduces unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance & handling
- 18″ rear wheel improves puncture resistance (Vs. 19″ designs)
- Front rim size is 1.60 x 21″, rear is 2.15 x 18″
- Dunlop AT81 tires
2018 Yamaha YZ450FX – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $8,999 USD
Bore x Stroke 97.0mm x 60.8mm
Compression Ratio 12.5:1
Fuel Delivery Keihin® fuel injection, 44mm
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission Wide-ratio constant-mesh 5-speed; multiplate wet
Final Drive O-ring chain
Suspension / Front KYB® spring-type fork with speed sensitive
damping; fully adjustable, 12.2-in wheel travel
Suspension / Rear KYB® single shock; full adjustable; 12.5-in
Brakes / Front Hydraulic disc, 270mm
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic disc, 245mm
Tires / Front 90/90-21 Dunlop® AT81F
Tires / Rear 120/90-18 Dunlop® AT81
L x W x H 85.2 in x 32.5 in x 50.4 in
Seat Height 38.0 in
Wheelbase 57.7 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 26.3°
Trail 4.5 in
Ground Clearance 12.8 in
Fuel Capacity 2.0 gal
Wet Weight 262 lb
Warranty 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Team Yamaha Blue
2018 Yamaha YZ450FX – Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: $10,049 CDN
Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), single
Bore and Stroke
97 x 60.8 mm
Keihin 44mm throttle body F.I.
Ignition / Starting
TCI / Electric
Wide ratio 5-speed transmission
Primary ratrio 2.609 (60/23)
Secondary ratio 3.846 (50/13)
1st gear 2.417 (29/12)
2nd gear 1.733 (26/15)
3rd gear 1.313 (21/16)
4th gear 1.050 (21/20)
5th gear 0.840 (21/25)
“O” ring chain
Adj. 48mm, inverted fork / 310mm (12.2″) wheel travel
Fully adj. Monocross / 318mm (12.5″) wheel travel
270 mm, floating disc / twin piston caliper
245 mm, disc / single piston caliper
7.5 litres (1.7 Imp. gal.)
119kg (262 lb)
Yamaha Racing Blue
2018 Yamaha YZ450FX – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).