2020 Yamaha Tracer 900:
Comfort, performance and value are blended harmoniously into the Tracer 900. With Yamaha’s successful CP3 inline three-cylinder engine, a sporty chassis and relaxed ergonomics, the Tracer 900 can tackle the twisties, the open road or the daily commute with poise.
The Tracer 900 utilizes a torquey and powerful 847 cc CP3 (Crossplane Concept) engine that offers usable low-end torque and enough power to satisfy the most experienced sport rider. Yamaha’s D-Mode system allows the rider to adjust power delivery based on conditions and preferences.
An adjustable seat, adjustable windscreen, standard ABS, three-level traction control, three D-Modes and an 18-litre tank speak to the incredibly versatile nature of Yamaha’s most affordable sport touring machine.
2020 Yamaha Tracer 900 Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- Sporty 847 cc, DOHC, 4-valve, inline three-cylinder “CP3” Crossplane Concept engine with lots of torque and character
- Yamaha’s Chip Control Throttle (YCC-T) with three-position “D-Mode” (riding mode) system
- Traction Control (two modes and off)
- Upright riding position
- CF die-cast aluminum frame and revised aluminum swingarm
- Standard ABS braking system
- Adjustable, tapered aluminum handlebar
- Stylish bodywork with higher quality fit and finish
- Separate rider and passenger seats
- 18-litre fuel tank
- Multi-function meter assembly with 12-volt DC outlet
- Convenient centre stand
2020 Yamaha Tracer 900 Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
- Slim, compact, 847cc, DOHC, 4-valve, liquid-cooled, 42.5 degree inclined, inline-three cylinder engine. The engine has been tuned to provide plenty of low & mid-range torque with strong yet linear throttle response.
- engine meets or exceeds strict EU-4 regulations
- 4-valve, downdraft style combustion chamber
- excellent torque output… especially in the low to mid rpm range
- 4-valve design maximizes flow into & out of combustion chamber
- 31 mm intake & 25 mm exhaust valves
- valve angle is 26.5 degrees to keep combustion chamber compact
- stainless steel valves feature an Isonite surface treatment & carburized tips for excellent durability & wear resistance
- Valve adjustment intervals are every 42,000 kms.
- 120 degree crankshaft with “even” 240 degree firing order.
- design reduces inertia torque while emphasizing linear torque in response to the rider’s throttle action
- design has been optimized to achieve strong torque over a broad rpm range
- fast, linear throttle response
- engine design allows a whole new level of “rider – machine communication”
- Lightweight “coupling force balancer” is used to reduce engine vibration for excellent rider comfort.
- “Fracture split” connecting rods feature a “nut less” design.
- lower end “cap” of the rod is made from the same piece of material as the upper portion; the 2 pieces are “split” apart using a special fracturing process & then machined
- design aids in establishing true big end roundness & greater precision in con rod dimensions for excellent durability despite the high horsepower loads
- Lightweight, forged, aluminum short skirt pistons.
- design aids in fast engine response
- reduces mechanical vibration
- excellent durability
- Direct ceramic composite plated cylinder uses “liner less” bores
- ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block, eliminating the liner & reducing weight
- excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery
- coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder & piston, reducing friction & increasing power
- Offset cylinder design
- cylinder is “offset” relative to the crank (toward exhaust side)
- reduces frictional losses between the pistons & cylinder wall during the power stroke for improved power output
- One-piece cylinder and upper crankcase assembly
- superior engine & chassis rigidity (engine is a stressed member)
- reduces weight
- Lightweight hollow camshafts.
- cam profiles are designed for excellent torque in the low & mid rpm range
- Crankcases feature a “Tri-Axis” layout for the crank, main & drive axles.
- creates a more compact & shorter engine front to back
- shorter engine allows for optimum engine placement in the “sweet spot” of frame for desired weight distribution & great handling
- “Closed loop” 41 mm Mikuni throttle body fuel injection system.
- system uses throttle position sensor (TPS) & acceleration position sensor (APS)
- injectors feature 12 holes & 20 degree spray pattern
- injectors spray fuel directly at the intake valve
- “closed loop system” uses an oxygen sensor to “sniff” spent exhaust & automatically adjust the fuel / air ratio for reduced emissions
- fuel injection benefits include choke-free starting, steady idling during warm up, excellent fuel economy & reduced emissions
- Yamaha Chip Control Throttle (YCC-T)
- YCC-T electronically controls throttle valves for outstanding throttle response & controllability
- YCC-T system provides precise control of intake air volume for a smoother torque curve
- ECU that controls YCC-T is capable of responding to changes at a speed of 1000th of a second
- Yamaha D-Mode variable throttle control… 3 modes available
- enables the rider to adjust the performance characteristics of the engine based on riding preferences or riding conditions
- standard mode emphasizes very linear throttle & torque feel of the engine
- A Mode allows the rider to enjoy even sportier engine performance in the low to mid rpms
- B Mode reduces throttle response for riding situations that require softer power characteristics, such as slippery or wet conditions
- D-Mode button is conveniently located on the RHS handle bar switch gear
- Traction control system with 2 modes plus off.
- mode 1 provides mid-level intervention (allows some wheel spin)
- mode 2 provides maximum intervention (no wheel spin)
- works in conjunction with the YCC-T system (utilizing same wheel sensors as ABS system)
- system senses when the rear wheel begins to spin & modifies the YCC-T function, ignition timing & fuel injection volume to reduce power & eliminate wheel spin
- status indicator / warning light in meter assembly
- Electronic Control Unit (ECU) utilizes a powerful 32-bit processor for fast control of the injection, engine management & ignition processes.
- Air box features dual resonator chambers & unequal internal intake funnel lengths for all 3 cylinders.
- benefit is a wide torque curve & exciting intake sound that accentuates the exhaust note
- viscous paper type air filter is used
- Compact 6-speed transmission.
- gear ratios are optimized to accentuate the torque & throttle response of the engine
- Compact, slipper (back limiter) clutch with assist.
- slipper clutch reduces the negative effects of engine braking on handling & suspension
- reduces rear wheel hop/ chatter when decelerating for improved riding performance & smoother corner entries
- assist function reduces clutch lever effort by up to 20%
- Stylish, compact, low mounted, 3 into 1 exhaust system
- stainless steel header pipes with special “Nano-film” coating
- muffler is a triple expansion type with a 3-way honeycomb catalyzer to reduce emissions
- low mounted design centralizes mass for excellent handling & light weight feeling
- Flat design radiator for maximum cooling efficiency.
- protector plate on lower edge of rad prevents small stones from hitting the rad & cooling fan
- Liquid-cooled oil cooler maintains stable lubricant temperatures for extended engine life.
- Convenient spin-on type oil filter & easy access drain plug for fast oil changes.
- Convenient oil level sight glass.
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
- produces a strong spark for fast starts
- provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
- Air Injection System (AIS… not ram air) injects fresh air into exhaust ports to fully burn any unburnt fuel, further reducing exhaust emissions.
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION
- CF (Controlled Filling) die cast, twin spar, diamond-type, aluminum frame.
- provides an optimized rigidity balance for incredible sports performance & excellent stability
- engine is a stressed member of the chassis, allowing a lighter, more compact main frame
- light, agile handling qualities
- The riding position is one of the most important features of the Tracer 900 chassis.
- upright seating position offers a balance between sports handling & excellent rider comfort
- Key chassis geometry figures include:
- 1,500 mm (59.1 in) wheelbase, 25 degrees of rake and 103 mm of trail
- front to rear weight distribution is 51 / 49%
- lean angle is 51 degrees, highlighting the sporty nature of the Tracer 900
- chassis dimensions & shape are designed to enhance the qualities of the 3 cylinder engine, to centralize mass & lower the centre of gravity
- Detachable, round tube steel rear sub frame.
- designed to withstand the extra load & forces applied during casual touring
- sub frame provides mounting points for Genuine Yamaha accessory hard saddlebags
- allows easier access to rear suspension components
- reduces costs in the event of damage
- externally mounted, C.F. (Controlled Filling) die cast aluminum, truss-type rear swingarm.
- external design means the swing arm mounts on the outside of the frame spars… not the inside
- external design keeps unit narrower in the seat – fuel tank junction which influences seat height & makes it easier to touch the ground
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for superior suspension performance
- excellent rear wheel traction & control
- Adjustable, 41mm inverted cartridge style fork offers 137mm (5.4″) of wheel travel.
- adjustments include; 6 steps of spring preload (15mm range) & 11-way rebound damping
- inverted design benefits include, reduced “unsprung” weight & reduced fork flex since the larger diameter tubes are gripped in the triple clamps
- adjustable design allows the rider to tailor suspension settings to match rider weight, road conditions & load to maximize handling & suspension performance
- Lightweight, aluminum upper & lower triple clamps.
- Adjustable link Monocross rear suspension with 130 mm (5.1″) of wheel travel.
- rear shock adjustments include: 7-steps of spring preload & 3 turns of rebound damping
- ABS equipped, dual 298mm floating front discs squeezed by radial mount, Advic, mono-block, 4-piston calipers.
- radial mount design helps to reduce caliper distortion for improved braking performance
- master cylinder uses a 16 mm piston
- excellent stopping power & control with good lever feedback
- ABS helps prevent wheel lockup during hard braking or slippery conditions
- ABS equipped, 245mm rear disc is squeezed by a lightweight single piston, slide-type Nissin caliper.
- ABS or Anti-Lock Braking System.
- features a linear controlled 3- position system that helps to prevent wheel lock up
- controlling ECU & hydraulic unit are combined into a single compact unit
- when ABS system senses impending wheel lock-up (via active type wheel sensors) it regulates hydraulic pressure to the point just before the wheel(s) lock-up
- ABS benefits include; excellent control under hard braking or when braking on wet, slippery or loose surfaces
- design reduces weight & centralizes mass
- Lightweight, cast-aluminum 10-spoke wheels.
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for excellent suspension & handling characteristics
- front rim size is MT3.50-17
- rear rim size is MT5.50-17
- Adjustable, tapered aluminum handlebar.
- handlebar can be adjusted 10 mm by turning the eccentric handlebar holders
- lightweight design with excellent strength
- narrow design offers a comfortable, upright riding position for all-day riding comfort
- handlebar holders feature special threads for accessory installations (GPS etc.)
- traditional “handlebar” design allows easy replacement to a different “bend” if desired
- Stylish, hand covers / brush guards.
- handlebar guards now more compact while retaining toughness and rigidity
- offer good wind protection
- also offers some unit protection in the event the bike tips over
- 18-litre steel fuel tank.
- slim design with great knee grip
- steel allows use of magnetic-style tank bags
- reserve portion of the tank is 2.6 litres (low fuel light illuminates)
- internal electric fuel pump
- Separate rider and passenger seats.
- redesigned to offer even better long-distance riding comfort
- rider seat offers two height positions — 845 mm (33.3 in) in low, (33.9 in) in high
- Improved, grab rails offer improved comfort and robustness for extra peace of mind.
- Passenger grab rails for extra peace of mind.
- Dual-display, multi-function meter/instrumentation.
- left side features digital tach, speedo, fuel gauge, clock & status indicators for traction control, D-modes & Eco System
- right side utilizes a DOT Matrix LCD display, includes odometer, dual trip meters, outside air temp, coolant temp, instant & average fuel consumption, estimated travel range (based on remaining fuel), time trip, low fuel trip meter (counts kilometers since low fuel light illuminated), gear position indicator & grip heater status (grip heaters are optional genuine Yamaha accessory)
- all functions are controlled by buttons on the L.H.S. switch gear
- full range of warning & indicator lights
- background illumination is adjustable
- Handy 12 volt DC outlet (max output = 24W & 2A) located beside meter assembly.
- Revised front fairing offers a more high-quality appearance with good wind protection.
- No tools required, adjustable windshield features 37 mm (1.5″) of adjustment.
- Eye catching LED headlights & LED position lights.
- offer excellent illumination & visibility
- easy access headlight adjusters for changing load conditions
- Centre stand (note: centre stand will not retro fit to the FZ-09).
- Brilliant LED rear tail light with unique running / brake light display.
- Unit is pre-wired for Genuine Yamaha accessory hot grips
- Lightweight forged aluminum footrests, shifter & rear brake pedal
- Numerous bungee cord hook points
- Excessive lean angle engine cut-out switch (if unit is on its side the engine will shut down)
- Lockable steering
- Durable “O”-ring drive chain
- Low-maintenance sealed battery (battery should be charged during winter storage)
- Yamaha diagnostic tool connector
NOTE: The Tracer 900 offers a significant level of power and performance. It is not intended for novice or inexperienced riders.
2020 Yamaha Tracer 900 – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $ USD
Canada MSRP Price: $11999 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £See dealer for pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
2020 Yamaha Tracer 900 – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
|Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 12-valves (4 valves/cyl.), inline three-cylinder|
|Bore and Stroke|
|78 x 59.1 mm|
|8.9 kg-m (64.3 ft-lbs.) @ 8,500 rpm|
|YCC-T, D-Mode (3 settings) & Traction control|
|Mikuni 41 mm throttle body F.I.|
|Estimated Fuel Consumption±|
|18.6 kpl / 52.5 mpg (Imp.)|
|Ignition / Starting|
|TCI / Electric|
|Adjustable 41 mm inverted fork / 137mm (5.4″) wheel travel|
|Adjustable link Monocross / 130mm (5.4″) wheel travel|
|Dual 298 mm discs / radial mount 4-piston calipers / ABS equipped|
|245 mm disc / single piston caliper / ABS equipped|
|2,160 mm (85″)|
|850 mm (33.4″)|
|1,345 to 1,430 mm (54.1 to 56.3″)|
|1,500 mm (59.1″)|
|Rake / Trail|
|24° / 100 mm|
|135 mm (5.3″)|
|850 or 865 mm (33.4 or 35″)|
|18 litres (4 imp. gallons)|
|214 kg (472 lb.)|
2020 Yamaha Tracer 900 – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).