VICTORY… NEVER GIVEN ALWAYS EARNED.
2020 Yamaha YZ85:
Step up to the perfect bike and earn victory after victory aboard this lightweight, 2‑stroke that boasts reliability and agility.
The YZ85 is a legend in the youth motocross scene. It’s the bike that inspired many of today’s top professional racers and helped them on their path to MX glory. And with its increased performance, the new YZ85 is the dirt bike that can turn young riders’ dreams into reality.
Victory. Never given, always earned
Its all-new 85cc liquid-cooled 2-stroke engine comes with a Yamaha Power Valve System (YPVS) that delivers a wider spread of explosive power giving genuine advantage over the competition.
And with fully adjustable forks, wave-type front and rear discs and adaptable ergonomics, the new YZ85 has the technology to launch riders all the way to the top.
Redesigned from the ground up in 2019, the YZ85 has been built to dominate the 85 cc class. Featuring the Yamaha Power Valve System (YPVS), fully-adjustable suspension, six-speed transmission and adjustable ergonomics, the 2020 YZ85 is ready to win races straight off the dealership floor.
The 85 cc liquid-cooled, two-stroke engine features the Yamaha Power Valve System for broad, tractable power across the rev range without losing peak power at high rpm.
The lightweight 36 mm KYB inverted cartridge fork features 10.8 inches of travel with compression and rebound damping adjustability complete with low-friction outer tubes and internals. Damping settings offer enhanced performance across a range of conditions and rider abilities.
2020 Yamaha YZ85 Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- Yamaha Power Valve System (YPVS) for broad, tractable power
- Potent, easy-to-service two-stroke engine
- Smooth-shifting, six-speed, close-ratio transmission
- Compact, semi-double-cradle, single-backbone steel frame
- Race-ready, fully adjustable suspension
- Aggressive YZ styling
- Adjustable rider ergonomics
- High-spec wheels and brakes
Yamaha Announces Full Lineup of 2020 Motocross Bikes
Enter the victorYZone with Yamaha’s Newly Redesigned YZ450F
MARIETTA, Ga. – June 4, 2019 – Yamaha Motor Corp., USA, introduces its complete lineup of race-ready 2020 motocross bikes, including the newly redesigned YZ450F, featuring a new engine, frame, and host of other features to deliver a lighter, more powerful, and better handling motocross experience.
“The 2020 YZ450F features design changes which resulted in a lighter, faster, and more nimble handling machine that will once again raise the bar in the 450 class,” said Steve Nessl, Yamaha’s motorsports marketing manager. “Yamaha’s 2020 lineup of four-stroke motocross bikes boasts the most advanced, race-ready machines of their respective classes.”
Also returning for 2020 is the championship-winning Yamaha YZ250F four-stroke motocross bike, along with Yamaha’s legendary two-stroke lineup featuring the YZ250, YZ125, YZ85 and YZ65.
Welcome to the victorYZone
Yamaha off-road competition bikes offer the very latest technology and performance features designed to make enthusiasts the best riders possible, win races and help riders become one with their machine – putting them in the zone and atop the podium.
New 2020 YZ450F: Tune in to Victory
The new 2020 Yamaha YZ85 has been redesigned to provide a lighter, more powerful, and better handling motocross experience. The new 449cc, liquid-cooled, four-stroke, electric start engine features an all-new compact cylinder head with redesigned combustion chamber shape, steeper valve angles and more aggressive cam profiles. The reward-slanted cylinder houses a higher compression piston with low friction rings attached to a longer connecting rod. The transmission has been refined to provide smoother shifting, and a more efficient crank breather system has been adopted to decrease pumping losses. In all, the lighter, more compact engine produces increased power across the entire RPM range for stronger and more linear pulling power.
The new motor is housed in the latest evolution of Yamaha’s lightweight aluminum bilateral beam frame, which has been redesigned with all-new flex characteristics and provides improved cornering performance, traction and bump reaction to give the rider more confidence to push harder. Other chassis components such as engine mounts, top triple clamp and front axle, as well as the class-leading KYB® suspension with enhanced compression and rebound characteristics were carefully refined to reduce weight while improving handling and performance. To bring the new package to a stop, the 2020 YZ450F features a newly designed front brake caliper, brake pads and front and rear disc. The overall changes of the 2020 YZ450F deliver increased power output with more controllable linear acceleration and lightweight handling characteristics that mimic a YZ250F.
Featuring Yamaha’s advanced racing technology, the new 2020 YZ450F has been updated to give racers the edge right out of the gate. Standard equipment including electric start, a lightweight lithium battery, advanced fuel injection, and a wrap around rear-positioned exhaust deliver powerful and reliable performance while balancing weight for excellent mass-centralization. Racers can achieve quicker, smoother race starts through Yamaha’s Launch Control System, adjust their on-track performance using wireless connectivity through the Yamaha Power Tuner App right from their phone, and now choose between two user defined ECU maps on the fly through the handlebar mounted dual-mode engine map switch.
The new 2020 YZ450F will be available from dealers next month in Team Yamaha Blue and Gray for $9,299 MSRP.
2020 YZ250F: Tune, Race, Win
Last year, the 2019 YZ250F introduced all-new engine, frame, and bodywork designs with features never-before seen on a 250cc class motorcycle to deliver more mid-range and top-end power, and class-leading engine performance. Yamaha’s championship-winning design returns with the 2020 YZ250F.
Sporting an electric start, 250cc, liquid-cooled, four-stroke engine housed in an aluminum bilateral beam frame, and suspended by industry leading KYB spring type forks and KYB rear shock, the 2020 YZ250F provides the ultimate balance of race-winning performance, rideability and comfort. The motorcycle also continues to feature Yamaha’s advanced racing technology including dual-mode switchable engine mapping and wireless connectivity for the Yamaha Power Tuner App.
The 2020 YZ250F will be available from dealers this month in Team Yamaha Blue and Gray for $8,199 MSRP.
2020 YZ125 and YZ250
Yamaha’s YZ125 and YZ250 models return for 2020 to complete Yamaha’s full-size lineup of motocross bikes. Lightweight aluminum frames, Yamaha’s patented Power Valve System (YPVS™), and reed-valve inducted engines provide an incredible power-to-weight ratio while maintaining Yamaha’s excellent reliability and durability. Both the YZ125 and YZ250 each sport industry leading KYB spring-type fork and KYB rear shock for unmatched comfort and performance on the track.
The 2020 YZ125 and YZ250 will begin arriving at Yamaha dealerships this month in Team Yamaha Blue for $6,499 and $7,399 MSRP, respectively.
2020 YZ85 and YZ65
Yamaha’s 2020 youth models, the YZ85 and YZ65, are ready to tackle the track with winning performance out of the gate. They are respectively powered by confidence-inspiring 85cc and 65cc two-stroke engines featuring YPVS for broad, tractable power across the rev range without losing peak power at high RPM — improving rideability and reducing the need for frequent shifting. Industry-leading 36mm KYB spring type forks and KYB rear shock are fully adjustable for compression and rebound, and contribute to class-leading handling and performance in a wide range of conditions. Four-way, adjustable handlebar positioning as well as lever reach adjustability are designed for ultimate rider comfort regardless of size. Finally, with two-stroke ease of maintenance and Yamaha’s proven durability, the 2020 YZ85 and YZ65 are built to keep kids on the track.
The 2020 YZ85 and YZ65 will both be available from dealers this month in Team Yamaha Blue for $4,599 MSRP.
Yamaha bLU cRU Off-Road Racing Contingency
All 2020 YZ models are once again eligible for Yamaha’s bLU cRU Off-Road Racing Contingency Program, with nearly $5 million for Yamaha bLU cRU riders competing in off-road motorcycle racing. YZ riders can earn contingency payouts via a bLU cRU debit card, receive a 10% rebate on GYTR parts and accessory purchases of up to $1,000, and receive an instant $45 credit
2020 Yamaha YZ85 Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
- Lightweight, compact, 85 cc, liquid-cooled, crankcase reed-valve inducted, 2-stroke single.
- Yamaha Power Valve System (YPVS).
- Mechanical power valve system delivers effective exhaust timing throughout the entire rev range
- Provides excellent power and torque characteristics
- Boosts compression ratio and power output
- Delivers responsive acceleration just as the rider intends
- Slit-shaped valve on the side of the exhaust port operates in response to engine rpm
- In low-to-mid-rpm range when exhaust timing is slower, valve moves to cover the top part of the exhaust port
- In high rpm range when quick exhaust timing is needed, valve recedes and exhaust port is fully uncovered
- Shifting is reduced due to broad powerband
- Crankcase reed valve induction and 28 mm Keihin flat-slide carburetor.
- crisp, seamless throttle response across the powerband
- design features spacer-style reed valve intake for improved gas flow
- Lightweight, forged piston.
- less reciprocating mass and less friction for a faster revving engine
- excellent durability
- CDI ignition system.
- provides a hot, precise spark for fast sure starts
- provides optimal timing for quicker, stronger response at all rpms
- Smooth-shifting, six-speed transmission.
- involute design increases the surface area contact between the gears
- special involute splines on main and drive shafts provide maximum engagement/hook-up for each gear for smoother, more positive shifts
- gear ratios are well matched to engine output
- Gear dimensions optimized for YPVS engine performance
- Heavy-duty, multi-plate clutch.
- smooth positive shifting
- Quick-remove, clutch sub-cover.
- fast, easy clutch access
- Lightweight radiator with high-capacity cores and special louvers to direct the air through the rad.
- maximum cooling efficiency
- Large-capacity airbox with washable, dual-stage, foam filter.
- excellent filtering qualities
- Lightweight exhaust system.
- expansion chamber designed to match the output of YPVS engine
- aluminium silencer is re-packable to maintain optimum performance and reduced noise levels
- Rigid, semi-double cradle, single backbone, steel frame.
- blend of light weight and good strength
- minimal flex for razor-sharp, moto-wining handling
- Detachable rear subframe.
- allows easy access for suspension maintenance
- reduces costs in the event of a loop-out (subframe can be purchased separately)
- Lightweight box-section aluminium swingarm.
- composite chain guide and updated chain adjusters provide easier maintenance
- provides excellent rear-wheel control and traction
- Adjustable 36 mm inverted KYB fork with 275 mm (10.8 in) of wheel travel.
- low-friction outer tubes and internals are similar to full-size YZ models
- 20 clicks of both compression and rebound damping
- adjustable design allows suspension settings to match rider weight, rider style and track conditions
- YZ125 / 250-based “big bike” valving and low-friction fork seals
- smooth, compliant stroke for superior suspension performance and handling
- front fork guard redesigned with brake hose outside of fork guard
- Fully adjustable Monocross link rear suspension provides 282 mm (11.1 in) of wheel travel.
- Kayaba piggyback shock reduces shock temperatures during a long moto for fade resistant damping and consistent performance.
- adjustments include “threaded” spring preload, 15 clicks of compression and 20 clicks of rebound damping
- optional shock springs are available through Yamaha Genuine Parts and Accessories
- 220 mm front stainless steel wave front disc with twin-piston caliper.
- delivers strong stopping power with excellent control and great feedback.
- Tapered aluminum handlebar and adjustable crown.
- Tapered handlebar
- “Shorty-style” adjustable front brake lever.
- adjusts to fit various hand sizes
- Clutch lever holder allows for clutch lever reach adjustment.
- adjusts to fit various hand sizes.
- 190 mm stainless steel rear disc brake squeezed by a single piston caliper.
- Excellent stopping power
- caliper is protected by a rugged plastic protector
- Lightweight, blue 17-inch front and 14-inch rear DID rims.
- excellent durability
- reduces unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance
- Dunlop MX3S knobby tires offer exceptional traction
- Modern, aggressive, slim line bodywork.
- slim body design for excellent freedom of movement and rider mobility
- Sealed tapered steering head bearings for extra durability
- Serrated rear brake pedal and folding shift lever tip
- Wide, cast-alloy serrated footpegs offer good grip
- Stainless steel inner clutch cable for longer life and smooth operation
- Rubber boots on clutch and brake levers to reduce dirt, mud and water entry for durability
- Convenient lifting holes in side cover
- New rugged chain guide helps prevent chain from de-railing and also protects rear sprocket
- E10 friendly fuel system components
2020 Yamaha YZ85 – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $4,699 – Team Yamaha Blue
Canada MSRP Price: $6099 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £See dealer for pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Australia MSRP Price: See dealer for pricing in AU
Engine Type 85cc liquid-cooled 2-stroke; reed-valve inducted
Bore x Stroke 47.5mm x 47.8mm
Compression Ratio 8.2~9.6:1
Fuel Delivery Keihin® PWK28 carburetor
Transmission 6-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive Chain
Suspension / Front Inverted fork; fully adjustable, 10.8-in travel
Suspension / Rear Single shock; fully adjustable, 11.1-in travel
Brakes / Front Hydraulic disc, 220mm
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic disc, 190mm
Tires / Front 70/100-17 Dunlop® MX3S®
Tires / Rear 90/100-14 Dunlop® MX3S®
L x W x H 71.7 in x 29.9 in x 45.1 in
Seat Height 33.1 in
Wheelbase 49.4 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 26.3°
Trail 3.5 in
Fuel Capacity 1.3 gal
Wet Weight 161 lb
Warranty 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Team Yamaha Blue
*** Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as
applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is
useful in making real-world comparisons with other models.
2020 Yamaha YZ85 – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
|2-stroke, liquid-cooled, crankcase-reed-valve single with YPVS|
|Bore and Stroke|
|47.5 x 47.8 mm|
|Ignition / Starting|
|CDI / Kick|
|Constant mesh, 6-speed|
|Fully adjustable KYB 36 mm inverted fork / 275 mm (10.8 in) wheel travel|
|Fully adjustable KYB shock / 282 mm (11.1 in) wheel travel|
|220 mm disc / twin-piston caliper|
|190 mm disc / single-piston caliper|
|1,820 mm (71.7 in)|
|760 mm (29.9 in)|
|1145 mm (45.1 in)|
|1255 mm (49.4 in)|
|330 mm (13 in)|
|840 mm (33.1 in)|
|5 litres (1.1 imp. gal.)|
|73 kg (161 lb)|
|Yamaha Racing Blue|
2020 Yamaha YZ85 – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
- Engine type
- Single cylinder, 2-stroke, liquid-cooled, reed valve
- Bore x stroke
- 47.5 mm x 47.8 mm
- Compression ratio
- 8.1 : 1
- Maximum power
- Maximum torque
- Lubrication system
- Clutch type
- Wet, multiple-disc coil spring
- Ignition system
- Starter system
- Transmission system
- Constant Mesh, 6-speed
- Final transmission
- Fuel system
- Keihin PWK28/1
- Semi double cradle
- Front travel
- 275 mm
- Caster angle
- Front suspension system
- Upside-down telescopic fork
- Rear suspension system
- Swingarm, (link suspension)
- Rear travel
- 287 mm
- Front brake
- Single Disc, Ø220 mm
- Rear brake
- Single Disc, Ø190 mm
- Front tyre
- 70/100-19 42M
- Rear tyre
- 90/100-16 52M
- Overall length
- 1,903 mm
- Overall width
- 758 mm
- Overall height
- 1,156 mm
- Seat height
- 904 mm
- Wheel base
- 1,286 mm
- Minimum ground clearance
- 393 mm
- Wet weight (including full oil and fuel tank)
- 73 kg
- Fuel tank capacity
- Oil tank capacity
2020 Yamaha YZ85 – Totalmotorcycle.com Australian Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).