R WORLD IS CALLING.
2020 Yamaha YZF-R3:
Legendary Yamaha superbike styling, advanced twin cylinder engine and ultra‑light chassis make it the bike of choice.
R World is calling with the YZF-R3, boasting next-generation R-series styling and updated handling to bring it more in line with its supersport stablemates. Whether you’re tackling crosstown traffic or a twisty road, the R3 is perfect for new riders who want a sporty machine that’s also rider-friendly.
Powering the R3 is a 321 cc, DOHC, parallel twin featuring a 4-valve cylinder head, 32 mm throttle body fuel injection and 6-speed transmission. Dig a bit deeper and you will find many of the high tech features found in our R6 power plant inside this engine too. Highway speeds are easily obtainable making the R3 a very versatile machine.
The R3 has been designed to provide a fun, enjoyable riding experience. To that end, the R3 utilizes a lightweight diamond type steel frame which is narrow and compact with a low 780 mm (30.7″) seat height. Despite the cool super sport styling, the R3 offers a comfortable, upright riding position which reduces rider fatigue and increases the fun factor.
R-World is calling.
Because the high specification YZF-R3 comes fully equipped with a wide range of high-end features that give you outstanding performance alongside class-leading quality and head turning style – making this the most exciting model for every A2 license rider.
This lightweight supersport comes with a radical MotoGP® inspired look that makes it the most desirable 300 on the street or track. Its sleek bodywork with a central air intake, mirrors the look of Yamaha’s YZR-M1 MotoGP® machine – and the aggressive dual LED headlights underline its pure R-series DNA.
High-specification 37mm inverted front forks give you precise suspension feel and feedback – and a great deal of development has gone into ensuring that the ergonomics give you plenty of comfort together with precise control. Answer the call and enter R-World.
Every model in the Yamaha R-Series is designed and manufactured to give you a thrilling ride every time. Quite simply, these supersport bikes are built without compromise, so that you can enjoy pure riding excitement.
Ultimate lightweight supersport.
Every model in the Yamaha R-Series isdesigned and manufactured to give you a thrilling ride every time. Quite simply, these supersport bikes are built without compromise, so that you can enjoy pure riding excitement. Inspired by both the YZR-M1 MotoGP® bike and our class-leading YZF-R1, the YZF-R3 combines a forceful race-bred look with sleek cross-layered bodywork, giving it the presence of a bike twice its size. And the best bit is that you can ride it with an A2 license. But it doesn’t just look cool – it’s also built to deliver highrevving supersport performance. Its 37mm inverted forks work in harmony with the light chassis – while the 50/50 weight distribution ensures superb agility. And with its highly e cient aerodynamics, it’s the fastest YZF-R3 ever.
2020 Yamaha YZF-R3 Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
◾High revving 321cc engine for thrilling power
◾Lightweight A2-license supersport bike
◾Slim and light chassis with agile, sporty handling
◾Aggressive YZF-R1 style front fairing & screen
◾Balanced 50/50 weight distribution
◾YZF-R1 inspired dual LED headlights
◾37mm KYB inverted front forks
◾Powerful braking system with ABS
◾Lightweight wheels and supersport tyres
◾Low fuel tank and ergonomic handlebar position
◾Digital LCD multi-function instruments
Yamaha Introduces 2020 YZF-R3 and YZF-R6 Supersport Motorcycles
Riders can Experience the Exhilaration of R World with Complete Model Lineup
MARIETTA, Ga. – September 4, 2019 – Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA, today introduced 2020 model-year YZF-R3 and YZF-R6 Supersport motorcycles, offering riders more opportunities to experience the exhilaration of R World on the street and track. Today’s introductions, along with the previously announced Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Edition YZF-R3, and evolutionary YZF-R1 and YZF-R1M models, complete the company’s Supersport lineup for 2020.
Welcome to R World
Yamaha has a rich heritage of building the most sought after Supersport motorcycles designed to deliver the pinnacle of performance on and off the track. From the rider-friendly YZF-R3 to the competition-focused YZF-R1M, the Yamaha R-series model lineup provides options for riders of all skill levels to experience the pure exhilaration of R World.
2020 YZF-R3 – R World is Calling
The YZF-R3 (R3) is the ultimate entry-level Supersport bike with Yamaha’s iconic aggressive design and outstanding performance, making it the perfect choice for first-time riders or experienced sportbike pilots who prefer a lightweight, nimble machine.
Powered by a reliable 321cc engine, the R3 delivers excellent performance for navigating cross-town traffic, carving twisty roads, or participating in a track day. Featuring the latest combustion technology, lightweight forged aluminum pistons, and all-aluminum DiASil cylinders with an offset design, the smooth-running and quick-revving R3 engine produces easy-to-manage power.
A lightweight steel frame cradles the engine’s crankcase within the chassis, resulting in approximately 50/50 front-rear weight distribution for the perfect balance of rigidity and weight. An asymmetric swingarm efficiently delivers engine power to the rear wheel, while a preload-adjustable KYB rear shock mounted in a Monocross suspension design contributes to a mass centralization of weight. To help achieve the right balance of comfort and sport riding performance for both street and track, the R3 features a KYB 37mm inverted front fork to provide the rider with outstanding handling during cornering and braking. ABS is also available, adding to confidence-boosting stopping performance.
The 2020 YZF-R3 will be available in Team Yamaha Blue for an MSRP of $4,999. Models equipped with ABS will be available in Team Yamaha Blue, Matte Black, and Matte Silver for an MSRP of $5,299. Both ABS and non-ABS models will begin arriving at authorized Yamaha dealerships in November.
2020 YZF-R6 – Respect. Earned.
The YZF-R6 (R6) continues to be one of the most popular race-ready Supersport motorcycles ever built, succeeding as the number one choice for today’s racers who are looking to progress quickly through the competition ranks.
The 2020 R6 features Yamaha’s Chip Controlled Intake (YCC-I) for a broad, tractable powerband. A class-leading four-cylinder 599cc engine provides excellent performance, utilizing 16 titanium valves, a high 13.1:1 compression ratio, and lightweight forged pistons to allow for smooth, high-revving power. Linerless, direct-plated ceramic-composite cylinder bores provide excellent heat dissipation and reduced friction, while magnesium engine covers minimize engine weight.
The R6’s Deltabox aluminum frame incorporates years of GP development in terms of geometry, engine positioning, and rigidity, resulting in lightning-fast handling agility with confidence-inspiring mid-corner stability on the road or the track. A magnesium subframe removes weight from the rear of the motorcycle for increased mass centralization, while the flat and narrow seat makes it easier to reach the ground and gives riders more room to maneuver during aggressive racetrack riding.
Thanks to traction control that provides six levels of intervention or can be turned off completely, D-Mode for adjustable throttle response, YZF-R1 derived suspension, ABS brakes, top-notch aerodynamics, and an aluminum fuel tank, the 2020 R6 is poised to continue dominating the track while remaining ever-popular with street riders around the world.
The 2020 YZF-R6 will be available in Team Yamaha Blue, Raven, and Vivid Orange/Matte Raven Black for an MSRP of $12,199, and begin arriving at authorized Yamaha dealers in October.
New colours for the YZF-R6, YZF-R3 and YZF-R125 supersport models
Yamaha’s R-world features the most complete selection of high performance supersport motorcycles. Inspired by Yamaha’s M1 MotoGP bike and led by the flagship YZF-R1M and YZF-R1, the outstanding 2020 R-Series line-up gives every thrill-seeking rider the opportunity to move rapidly through the capacity ranks and progress all the way to the top.
For 2020 the YZF-R6, YZF-R3 and YZF-R125 will be available in a number of new colour options and featuring a new graphic design, including the Icon Blue version which is in line with the current livery of the Yamaha racing teams in the world championship, further reinforcing the strong R-Series family links and underline their pure race-bred DNA.
2020 colour options
- Icon Blue
- Midnight Black
- Icon Blue
- Midnight Black
- Icon Blue
- Competition White
- Tech Black
2020 Yamaha YZF-R3 Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
- Lightweight, compact, 321 cc, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 8-valve (4-valves/cyl), fuel injected, inline-twin cylinder engine. The engine has been designed to provide solid performance right across the rev range, with very linear throttle response, low vibration & excellent fuel economy.
- Downdraft style, compact combustion chamber
- 4 valves per cylinder to enhance low-to mid-range torque
- straight intake path into the combustion chamber for excellent power output
- The YZF-R3 uses regular 87 octane gas.
- Valves are 26 mm (intake) and 22.5 mm (exhaust) in diameter.
- Isonite surface treatment on the valve stems for improved durability & wear resistance
- valves feature carbon cutters on the valve stems to help reduce carbon build-up during slower speed operation
- Valve adjustment interval is every 42,000 km.
- Automatic cam chain tensioner.
- reduces mechanical engine noise & maintenance
- Lightweight, all aluminum DiASil cylinder (die cast all aluminum cylinder with silicone content).
- offers outstanding cooling performance / heat dissipation for consistent power delivery
- reduces weight since there are no heavy liners & cylinder is made completely of aluminum
- Offset cylinder design.
- cylinder is offset 7 mm relative to the crankshaft (to the exhaust side)
- reduces frictional losses between the pistons & cylinder wall during the power stroke
- improved power output & improved fuel economy
- 180-degree crankshaft with uneven firing order.
- helps reduce “pumping losses” for maximum power output
- provides an interesting exhaust note
- Gear driven “primary coupled-force” balancer shaft.
- reduces engine vibration for excellent rider comfort
- Lightweight forged aluminum pistons.
- provide fast engine response
- reduce weight
- reduce mechanical vibration for excellent durability
- Carburized connecting rods (carburizing is a form heat treating).
- excellent strength & durability
- “Closed loop” 32 mm throttle body fuel injection system.
- system uses an idle speed controller (ISC) to maintain a steady idle regardless of engine temperature
- 12-hole injectors for optimum fuel atomization
- system is tuned to provide excellent rideability and linear throttle control.
- close-loop system uses an oxygen sensor to “sniff” spent exhaust & automatically adjust the fuel / air ratio for reduced emissions
- Airbox utilizes a viscous paper-type air filter.
- Compact, 6-speed transmission.
- ratios specially designed to suit the character (torque & power) of the engine
- 5th & 6th gears are overdrive gears to reduce engine rpm at highway speeds
- Compact, wet-type, multi-plate clutch.
- ensures consistent, positive shifting
- light, easy clutch lever pull.
- Low-mounted, 2-into-1 exhaust system.
- utilizes a short design muffler fitted with a 3-way catalyzer to reduce exhaust emissions
- low mounted design centralizes mass for agile handling & lightweight feeling
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
- produces a strong spark for fast starts
- provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at any rpm
- Easy access spin-on type oil filter & engine oil drain plug.
- fast & easy oil changes
- oil change interval is 5,000 kms after the initial 1,000 km break-in oil change
- Air Induction System (AIS… not ram air).
- reduces harmful exhaust emissions
- injects fresh air into exhaust ports to fully burn any unburnt fuel, further reducing exhaust emissions
- Lightweight, diamond-type, high-tensile, steel frame
- features optimized rigidity balance for light, agile handling with excellent stability
- engine is a stressed member of the chassis, allowing a lighter, more compact main frame design
- frame features a mix of both solid & rubber engine mounts
- Electrostatic paint helps prevent corrosion
- The riding position is one of the most important features of the R3. Despite its supersport styling, the R3 offers excellent rider comfort thanks to its upright riding position.
- Key chassis geometry figures include:
- 1380 mm (54.3″) wheelbase
- 25 degrees of rake & 95 mm of trail
- 50 / 50 front to rear weight distribution
- chassis dimensions and shape have been designed to centralize mass & lower the centre of gravity to provide the rider with light, agile handling
- Tapered, long design, high tensile steel swingarm.
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for superior suspension performance
- excellent rear wheel traction & control
- 37 mm KYB upside-down (inverted) fork offers 130 mm (5.1″) of wheel travel.
- plastic chip guards help prevent damage to the fork tubes & seals
- Adjustable Monocross link-less rear suspension with 125 mm (4.9″) of wheel travel.
- features a single KYB rear shock with 7 levels of preload adjustability
- adjustable design allows rider to tailor preload settings to match load & road condition
- ABS-equipped 298 mm floating front disc brake squeezed by a twin-piston caliper.
- provides solid stopping power
- brake force & feel are tailored towards new riders
- ABS-equipped 220 mm floating rear disc is squeezed by a lightweight, single-piston, slide-type caliper.
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS).
- controlling ECU & hydraulic unit are combined into a single compact unit to reduce weight & centralize mass
- when ABS system senses impending wheel lock-up (via active type wheel sensors) it regulates hydraulic braking pressure to the point just before the wheel or wheels lock-up
- ABS provides excellent control under hard braking or when braking on wet, slippery or loose surfaces
- Lightweight, cast-aluminum 10-spoke mag wheels.
- front wheel size is MT2.75-17 fitted with a 110/70-17 tire
- rear wheel is MT4.00 fitted with a 140/70-17 tire
- Lightweight hollow axles front & rear.
- Clip-on style handlebars.
- provide a supersport image but offer a comfortable, more upright riding position since they are mounted above the top triple clamp
- Handlebar position is 22 mm lower than previous model
- 14-litre fuel tank with styling adopted from R1 and R6 models.
- offers a slim design with great knee grip
- “reserve” portion of the tank is 3 litres (low fuel light will illuminate)
- tank is steel with plastic covers, which can reduce costs in the event of damage
- Separate rider & passenger seats with low 780 mm (30.7″) seat height.
- offer excellent comfort
- narrow-design rider seat makes it easier to touch feet flat on the ground
- passenger seat can be removed & replaced by the optional Genuine Yamaha Accessory rear seat cowl if desired
- Feature-rich liquid crystal (LCD) multi-function meter.
- data includes speedometer, bar tachometer, fuel meter, odometer, tripmeters (2), fuel trip meter, gear position, flasher indicators, clock, temperature meter, fuel economy, oil trip meter, ABS indicator, adjustable shift timing light and high beam indicator
- Warning lights: oil pressure and engine trouble
- back lighting is adjustable
- Race inspired full fairing.
- New design inspired by larger R-series models
- New design translates to a 7 percent reduction in drag and an 8 km/h (5 mph) increase in top speed
- Race-derived air intake duct directs flow to the radiator
- LED headlights with updated design.
- Brilliant rear LED tail light
- unique running / brake light display
- Helmet holder
- Lightweight aluminum footrests & mounts
- Threaded mounts on swingarm for rear race stand
- Excessive lean angle sensor… if unit is on its side the engine will shut down
- Lockable steering
- Folding mirrors with chrome plating
- Stylish rear fender extension helps reduce splash in wet conditions
- Lightweight, low-maintenance sealed battery (batteries should be charged during winter storage)
- Yamaha Diagnostic Tool coupler is located under the passenger seat. This system can significantly reduce diagnostic time in the event of a problem.
2020 Yamaha YZF-R3 – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $4,999 – $5,299 Team Yamaha Blue
Canada MSRP Price: $6,299 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £See dealer for pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine Type 321cc liquid-cooled, DOHC inline twin-cylinder; 8 valves
Bore x Stroke 68.0mm x 44.1mm
Compression Ratio 11.2:1
Fuel Delivery Fuel injection
Transmission 6-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive Chain
Suspension / Front Inverted telescopic fork; 5.1-in travel
Suspension / Rear Monocross single shock, adjustable preload; 4.9-
Brakes / Front 298mm hydraulic disc; ABS model available
Brakes / Rear 220mm hydraulic disc; ABS model available
Tires / Front 110/70-17 Dunlop® Sportmax GPR-300®
Tires / Rear 140/70-17 Dunlop® Sportmax GPR-300®
L x W x H 82.3 in x 28.7 in x 44.9 in
Seat Height 30.7 in
Wheelbase 54.3 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 25.0°
Trail 3.7 in
Fuel Capacity 3.7 gal
Fuel Economy 56 mpg
Wet Weight 368 lb / 375 lb (ABS model)
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Team Yamaha Blue w/ABS; Matte Silver w/ABS;
Matte Black w/ABS; Team Yamaha Blue
*** Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as
applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is
useful in making real-world comparisons with other models.
2020 Yamaha YZF-R3 – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
|Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 8 valves (4 valves/cyl.), inline twin|
|Bore and Stroke|
|68 x 44.1 mm|
|32 mm throttle body F.I.|
|Estimated Fuel Consumption±|
|23.5 kpl / 66 mpg (Imp.)|
|Ignition / Starting|
|TCI / Electric|
|37 mm upside-down fork / 130 mm (5.1″) wheel travel|
|Adjustable Monocross / 125 mm (4.9″) wheel travel|
|298 mm floating disc / twin-piston caliper / ABS equipped|
|220 mm disc / single-piston caliper / ABS equipped|
|2,090 mm (82.3″)|
|730 mm (28.7″)|
|1,140 mm (44.9″)|
|1,380 mm (54.3″)|
|Rake / Trail|
|25 degrees / 95 mm (3.7″)|
|160 mm (6.3″)|
|780 mm (30.7″)|
|14 litres (3.1 Imp. gal.)|
|167 kg (368 lb)|
|Yamaha Racing Blue|
2020 Yamaha YZF-R3 – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Engine type 2-Cylinder;4-stroke;liquid-cooled;DOHC;4-valves
Displacement 321 cm
Bore x stroke 68.0 mm x 44.1 mm
Compression ratio 11.2 : 1
Maximum power 30.9kW (42.0PS) @ 10,750 rpm
Maximum Torque 29.6Nm (3.0kg-m) @ 9,000 rpm
Lubrication system Wet sump
Clutch Type Wet;Multiple Disc
Ignition system TCI
Starter system Electric
Transmission system Constant Mesh;6-speed
Fuel consumption 3.8l/100km
CO2 emission 89g/km
Front travel 130 mm
Caster Angle 25º
Front suspension system Telescopic forks
Rear suspension system Swingarm
Rear Travel 125 mm
Front brake Hydraulic single disc, Ø298 mm
Rear brake Hydraulic single disc, Ø220 mm
Front tyre 110/70-17M/C 54H (Tubeless)
Rear tyre 140/70-17M/C 66H (Tubeless)
Overall length 2090 mm
Overall width 730 mm
Overall height 1140 mm
Seat height 780 mm
Wheel base 1380 mm
Minimum ground clearance 160 mm
Wet weight (including full oil and fuel tank) 167 kg
Fuel tank capacity 14.0L
Oil tank capacity 2.4L
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).