UNLEASH A NEW LEVEL.
2020 Yamaha YZF-R3 Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Edition:
Featuring bodywork and graphics inspired by the MotoGP race team, this Limited Edition is sleeker and more refined than ever before.
The pure racing spirit of Yamaha’s legendary MotoGP team makes its way to the new 2020 Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Edition YZF-R3. This model calls to its racing pedigree with an edgy, aggressive look that reflects the Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP YZR-M1’s styling, made famous by MotoGP superstars Valentino Rossi and Maverick Viñales.
MotoGP-style Monster Energy graphics and aggressive R1-derived bodywork make this the most exclusive 125 produced by Yamaha – and the refined Delta box frame as well as the aluminium swing arm and wider 140-section rear tyre reaffirm the 2019 YZF-R125 as the ultimate lightweight supersport.
For even stronger low rpm torque and more high rpm power the YZF-R125’s engine comes with a sophisticated Variable Valve Actuation system and high-flow cylinder head – giving quicker acceleration, faster pick up, a higher top speed and better fuel efficiency.
The Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Edition YZF-R3 has the performance to match its aggressive styling. The 321 cc liquid-cooled, eight-valve, fuel-injected engine delivers smooth-running and quick-revving power. The revised aerodynamics and new 37 mm upside-down front fork introduced on the 2019 R3 are here, too!
Stand out on the streets with style from the racetrack. Special graphics and logos are laid overtop a paint treatment inspired by the Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP race team to make this a true limited-edition version of the latest-generation R3.
2020 Yamaha YZF-R3 Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Edition Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- Special Monster Energy MotoGP-inspired graphics and logos
- Special paint treatment
- 37 mm upside-down (inverted) KYB fork
- Revised fairing and windshield for improved aerodynamics and styling
- Redesigned gas tank for improved looks and rider control
- New front fender
- Twin LED headlights
- Optimized handlebar position
- Full digital LCD instrumentation
- New handlebar switchgear
MARIETTA, Ga. – June 4, 2019 – Built from the racing DNA of Yamaha’s R World Supersport motorcycle pedigree, the YZF-R3’s advanced twin-cylinder engine, nimble handling, and R-series design make it the top choice for street and track riders seeking Lightweight Supersport performance. Beginning in July, the pure racing spirit of Yamaha’s legendary MotoGP team makes its way to the new 2020 Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Edition YZF-R3 Supersport motorcycle, further expanding the racing DNA connection with a special livery.
This special edition YZF-R3 calls to its racing pedigree with an edgy, aggressive look that reflects the Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP YZR-M1’s styling, made famous by MotoGP superstars Valentino Rossi and Maverick Viñales.
A genuine Supersport bike, the Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Edition YZF-R3 has the performance to match the aggressive styling it displays. The 321cc liquid-cooled eight-valve fuel injected engine delivers smooth-running and quick-revving power. Yamaha’s all-aluminum DiASil cylinder combined with forged aluminum pistons ensures excellent heat dissipation with an innovative offset design that improves power and fuel efficiency.
The YZF-R3’s lightweight steel frame delivers the perfect balance of rigidity and weight. The long, asymmetrical swingarm design maximizes the efficient transmission of engine power to the rear wheel, while a preload-adjustable KYB rear shock with Monocross optimizes mass centralization. Combined with a KYB inverted front fork, a 30.7-inch (780mm) seat height, and approximately 50/50 front-rear weight distribution, the YZF-R3 provides nimble handling around town and on the race track.
2020 Yamaha YZF-R3 Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Edition Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
- Lightweight, compact, 320 cc, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 8-valve (4-valves/cyl), fuel injected, inline-twin cylinder engine. The engine has been designed to provide solid performance right across the rev range, with very linear throttle response, low vibration & excellent fuel economy.
- Downdraft style, compact combustion chamber
- 4 valves per cylinder to enhance low-to mid-range torque
- straight intake path into the combustion chamber for excellent power output
- The YZF-R3 uses regular 87 octane gas.
- Valves are 26 mm (intake) and 22.5 mm (exhaust) in diameter.
- Isonite surface treatment on the valve stems for improved durability & wear resistance
- valves feature carbon cutters on the valve stems to help reduce carbon build-up during slower speed operation
- Valve adjustment interval is every 42,000 km.
- Automatic cam chain tensioner.
- reduces mechanical engine noise & maintenance
- Lightweight, all aluminum DiASil cylinder (die cast all aluminum cylinder with silicone content).
- offers outstanding cooling performance / heat dissipation for consistent power delivery
- reduces weight since there are no heavy liners & cylinder is made completely of aluminum
- Offset cylinder design.
- cylinder is offset 7 mm relative to the crankshaft (to the exhaust side)
- reduces frictional losses between the pistons & cylinder wall during the power stroke
- improved power output & improved fuel economy
- 180-degree crankshaft with uneven firing order.
- helps reduce “pumping losses” for maximum power output
- provides an interesting exhaust note
- Gear driven “primary coupled-force” balancer shaft.
- reduces engine vibration for excellent rider comfort
- Lightweight forged aluminum pistons.
- provide fast engine response
- reduce weight
- reduce mechanical vibration for excellent durability
- Carburized connecting rods (carburizing is a form heat treating).
- excellent strength & durability
- “Closed loop” 32 mm throttle body fuel injection system.
- system uses an idle speed controller (ISC) to maintain a steady idle regardless of engine temperature
- 12-hole injectors for optimum fuel atomization
- system is tuned to provide excellent rideability and linear throttle control.
- close-loop system uses an oxygen sensor to “sniff” spent exhaust & automatically adjust the fuel / air ratio for reduced emissions
- Airbox utilizes a viscous paper-type air filter.
- Compact, 6-speed transmission.
- ratios specially designed to suit the character (torque & power) of the engine
- 5th & 6th gears are overdrive gears to reduce engine rpm at highway speeds
- Compact, wet-type, multi-plate clutch.
- ensures consistent, positive shifting
- light, easy clutch lever pull.
- Low-mounted, 2-into-1 exhaust system.
- utilizes a short design muffler fitted with a 3-way catalyzer to reduce exhaust emissions
- low mounted design centralizes mass for agile handling & lightweight feeling
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
- produces a strong spark for fast starts
- provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at any rpm
- Easy access spin-on type oil filter & engine oil drain plug.
- fast & easy oil changes
- oil change interval is 5,000 kms after the initial 1,000 km break-in oil change
- Air Induction System (AIS… not ram air).
- reduces harmful exhaust emissions
- injects fresh air into exhaust ports to fully burn any unburnt fuel, further reducing exhaust emissions
- Lightweight, diamond-type, high-tensile, steel frame
- features optimized rigidity balance for light, agile handling with excellent stability
- engine is a stressed member of the chassis, allowing a lighter, more compact main frame design
- frame features a mix of both solid & rubber engine mounts
- Electrostatic paint helps prevent corrosion
- The riding position is one of the most important features of the R3. Despite its supersport styling, the R3 offers excellent rider comfort thanks to its upright riding position.
- Key chassis geometry figures include:
- 1380 mm (54.3″) wheelbase
- 25 degrees of rake & 95 mm of trail
- 50 / 50 front to rear weight distribution
- chassis dimensions and shape have been designed to centralize mass & lower the centre of gravity to provide the rider with light, agile handling
- Tapered, long design, high tensile steel swingarm.
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for superior suspension performance
- excellent rear wheel traction & control
- 37 mm KYB upside-down (inverted) fork offers 130 mm (5.1″) of wheel travel.
- plastic chip guards help prevent damage to the fork tubes & seals
- Adjustable Monocross link-less rear suspension with 125 mm (4.9″) of wheel travel.
- features a single KYB rear shock with 7 levels of preload adjustability
- adjustable design allows rider to tailor preload settings to match load & road condition
- ABS-equipped 298 mm floating front disc brake squeezed by a twin-piston caliper.
- provides solid stopping power
- brake force & feel are tailored towards new riders
- ABS-equipped 220 mm floating rear disc is squeezed by a lightweight, single-piston, slide-type caliper.
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS).
- controlling ECU & hydraulic unit are combined into a single compact unit to reduce weight & centralize mass
- when ABS system senses impending wheel lock-up (via active type wheel sensors) it regulates hydraulic braking pressure to the point just before the wheel or wheels lock-up
- ABS provides excellent control under hard braking or when braking on wet, slippery or loose surfaces
- Lightweight, cast-aluminum 10-spoke mag wheels.
- front wheel size is MT2.75-17 fitted with a 110/70-17 tire
- rear wheel is MT4.00 fitted with a 140/70-17 tire
- Lightweight hollow axles front & rear.
- Clip-on style handlebars.
- provide a supersport image but offer a comfortable, more upright riding position since they are mounted above the top triple clamp
- Handlebar position is 22 mm lower than previous model
- 14-litre fuel tank with new styling adopted from R1 and R6 models.
- offers a slim design with great knee grip
- “reserve” portion of the tank is 3 litres (low fuel light will illuminate)
- tank is steel with plastic covers, which can reduce costs in the event of damage
- Separate rider & passenger seats with low 780 mm (30.7″) seat height.
- offer excellent comfort
- narrow-design rider seat makes it easier to touch feet flat on the ground
- passenger seat can be removed & replaced by the optional Genuine Yamaha Accessory rear seat cowl if desired
- Feature-rich liquid crystal (LCD) multi-function meter.
- Lightweight, diamond-type, high-tensile, steel frame
- data includes speedometer, bar tachometer, fuel meter, odometer, tripmeters (2), fuel trip meter, gear position, flasher indicators, clock, temperature meter, fuel economy, oil trip meter, ABS indicator, adjustable shift timing light and high beam indicator
- Warning lights: oil pressure and engine trouble
- back lighting is adjustable
- Race inspired full fairing.
- New design inspired by larger R-series models
- New design translates to a 7 percent reduction in drag and an 8 km/h (5 mph) increase in top speed
- Race-derived air intake duct directs flow to the radiator
- New LED headlights with updated design.
- Brilliant rear LED tail light
- unique running / brake light display
- Helmet holder
- Lightweight aluminum footrests & mounts
- Threaded mounts on swingarm for rear race stand
- Excessive lean angle sensor… if unit is on its side the engine will shut down
- Lockable steering
- Folding mirrors with chrome plating
- Stylish rear fender extension helps reduce splash in wet conditions
- Lightweight, low-maintenance sealed battery (batteries should be charged during winter storage)
- Yamaha Diagnostic Tool coupler is located under the passenger seat. This system can significantly reduce diagnostic time in the event of a problem.
2020 Yamaha YZF-R3 Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Edition – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $ 5599 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $ 6399 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £4399 See dealer for pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Australia MSRP Price: See dealer for pricing in AU
Engine Type 321cc liquid-cooled, DOHC inline twin-cylinder; 8 valves
Bore x Stroke 68.0mm x 44.1mm
Compression Ratio 11.2:1
Fuel Delivery Fuel injection
Transmission 6-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive Chain
Suspension / Front Inverted telescopic fork; 5.1-in travel
Suspension / Rear Monocross single shock, adjustable preload; 4.9- in travel
Brakes / Front 298mm hydraulic disc; ABS model available
Brakes / Rear 220mm hydraulic disc; ABS model available
Tires / Front 110/70-17 Dunlop® Sportmax GPR-300
Tires / Rear 140/70-17 Dunlop® Sportmax GPR-300
L x W x H 82.3 in x 28.7 in x 44.9 in
Seat Height 30.7 in
Wheelbase 54.3 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 25.0°
Trail 3.7 in
Maximum Ground Clearance
Fuel Capacity 3.7 gal
Fuel Economy 56 mpg
Wet Weight 368 lb / 375 lb (ABS model)
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Edition
2020 Yamaha YZF-R3 Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Edition – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
|Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 8 valves (4 valves/cyl.), inline twin|
|Bore and Stroke|
|68 x 44.1 mm|
|32 mm throttle body F.I.|
|Estimated Fuel Consumption±|
|23.5 kpl / 66 mpg (Imp.)|
|Ignition / Starting|
|TCI / Electric|
|37 mm upside-down fork / 130 mm (5.1″) wheel travel|
|Adjustable Monocross / 125 mm (4.9″) wheel travel|
|298 mm floating disc / twin-piston caliper / ABS equipped|
|220 mm disc / single-piston caliper / ABS equipped|
|2,090 mm (82.3″)|
|730 mm (28.7″)|
|1,140 mm (44.9″)|
|1,380 mm (54.3″)|
|Rake / Trail|
|25 degrees / 95 mm (3.7″)|
|160 mm (6.3″)|
|780 mm (30.7″)|
|14 litres (3.1 Imp. gal.)|
|167 kg (368 lb)|
|Yamaha Monster Energy MotoGP Edition|
2020 Yamaha YZF-R3 Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Edition – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
2-cylinder, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valves
Bore x stroke
80.0 mm x 68.6 mm
11.5 : 1
55.0kW (74.8PS) @ 9,000 rpm
Limited power version
68.0Nm (6.9kg-m) @ 6,500 rpm
Wet, Multiple Disc
Constant Mesh, 6-speed
Front suspension system
Rear suspension system
Swingarm, (Link type suspension)
Hydraulic dual disc, Ø282 mm
Hydraulic single disc, Ø245 mm
120/70 ZR 17M/C(58V) (Tubeless)
180/55 ZR 17M/C(73V) (Tubeless)
Minimum ground clearance
Wet weight (including full oil and fuel tank)
186 kg ABS
Fuel tank capacity
Oil tank capacity
2020 Yamaha YZF-R3 Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Edition – Totalmotorcycle.com Australian Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).