2021 Honda Rebel 500 ABS: MEET THE MODERN CLASSIC.
Introducing the 2021 Honda Rebel 500 ABS…
The Honda Rebel 500 is a bike that breaks out from the world of traditional motorcycle style and escapes from the boring boulevard drone. It all starts with a narrow 471cc twin-cylinder engine with plenty of user-friendly power. The blacked-out look, light weight, and low seat height are winners everywhere, and features like Honda’s slip/assist clutch help make riding more enjoyable. And where some cruiser-class bikes are only fun if you ride slow, the Rebel 500 is happy to kick it up a notch. You can even get anti-lock brakes. Plus, for 2021, we’ve added fresh new colors, and our new Rebel 500 ABS SE, a version that comes with a selection of some of our most popular accessories, pre-installed, like our Black Diamond-Stitch Seat, Black Fork Boots and Covers, and a Black Headlight Cowl. So don’t let anyone put you into a cage—discover a new Rebel 500 and escape the ordinary.
2021 Honda Rebel 500 ABS Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- Anti-lock brakes (ABS)
- 471cc liquid-cooled parallel-twin engine
- Fuel injection
- Low 27.2-inch seat height
- Blacked-out style
- Wide 16-inch rear tire
- Electric starter
- Slipper/assist clutch
- Optional passenger seat and footpeg kit
2021 Honda Rebel 500 ABS Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
The Rebel is a blank canvas for your self expression. But unlike the canvas you buy at the art store, this one’s not boring white. As is, its blacked-out engine pieces, frame, and bodywork elements look great during the day and even better at night.
Forget about having to polish chrome—the Rebel’s blacked-out exhaust system blends perfectly with the bike’s overall look. And maybe the biggest plus? The awesome sound that’s so important to the riding experience.
CLASSIC INSTRUMENT SHAPE
Another iconic element combining traditional and new, the Rebel’s instruments take a classic shape and fill it with totally up-to-date digital LCD information. The instruments include a gear-position indicator and a fuel-consumption display.
Another critical item in motorcycle design is the headlight. With the Rebel you get the best of both worlds. The lamp is bright and precise, while the round nacelle shape, aluminum cast headlight mount and glass lens give the Rebel a character that exudes class.
ALL LED LIGHTING PACKAGE
LED lighting is where it’s at now. LEDs can be lighter, brighter, and require fewer lifetime replacements than incandescent bulbs. That’s why the Rebel 500 features an all-LED lighting package—headlight, taillight, turn signals, even the license-plate light.
Ready for some awesome color choices for 2021? Check out what you can be riding: Matte Grey Metallic or Matte Pearl White.
OPTIONAL Honda ACCESSORIES
Want to give your Rebel 500 some individual touches? We have an extensive selection of factory accessories. For example, check out the custom seat options, a backrest, saddlebags and rear carrier, passenger seat with footpegs kit, backrest, and much, much more.
SPECIAL REBEL 500 ABS SE
New for 2021, we’re offering a limited-edition of our Rebel 500 ABS, the SE version. It features some of our most popular accessories, installed at the factory. You get our Brown Diamond-Stich Seat, Black Fork Boots, Black Upper Fork Covers, and a Black Headlight Cowl—a knockout combination that takes your Rebel 500 to the next level.
STEEL REAR FENDER
Real steel never goes out of style. The Rebel has a steel rear fender that’s either color-matched to the tank or matte black. The paint looks great, and the steel fender helps provide a solid support for the optional/removable passenger seat.
WIDE 41mm FORK
It’s what’s up front that counts most in style, and the Rebel knocks it out of the park. Of course the front suspension offers precise steering and a plush ride, but the fat 41mm fork tubes give the bike a substantial presence too.
REFINED REAR SUSPENSION
The Rebel 500’s rear shocks are nitrogen filled, and have a special spring rate too. Just like the front suspension, it’s about adding both comfort and performance to your riding experience.
WIDE FRONT WHEEL
The Rebel’s wide 130/90-16 front tire not only looks great, but it helps provide superior handling and stopping power.
LOW SEAT HEIGHT
When it comes to seat heights, almost everyone likes them lower. At just 27.2 inches, the Rebel has one of the lowest seats in anyone’s lineup. It’s comfortable when you ride, and it makes it easier to flat-foot it at stoplights or in parking lots.
Starting at just 408 pounds with a full tank of fuel, the Rebel 500 is a lot more fun and friendly to ride than some bigger machines—perfect if you’re just getting started, or if you’re looking for a nimble bike. The light overall weight and a low center of gravity help performance, too.
Super-narrow, especially at the critical tank/seat junction, the Rebel makes it easier to get on and off the bike, and to put your feet down at stops. Plus, the Rebel fits a wide variety of riders.
ROOMY RIDER TRIANGLE
A rider makes contact with the bike at three points: the seat, the handlebar, and the footpegs. The Rebel’s rider triangle strikes the perfect balance between laid-back cruiser and more active sport riding. You ride with a commanding presence, and the minute you sit on a Rebel in your dealership, you’ll know it.
SINGLE SEAT WITH OPTIONAL PASSENGER SEAT AND FOOTPEG KIT
Travelling light and on your own? Want to take a friend along? Like the clean look of a solo seat? Like the versatility of a passenger seat? With the Rebel you can easily have it both ways, since the optional passenger seat, passenger footpegs and footpeg hangers are all simple, bolt-on parts.
Developed and perfected in Honda’s racing machines, the slipper/assist clutch means you get a lighter clutch pull at the lever, but a solid lockup when you release the lever and apply power. It’s technology that reduces clutch effort at the bar by about 30 percent.
A lot of today’s motorcycles look great standing still, but disappoint once the road gets twisty. At Honda, we set high standards for the way all our bikes handle and feel, and the Rebel is a perfect example—we’ve paid just as much attention to the way this bike corners and handles as we have its knockout styling.
2.9-GALLON FUEL TANK
One of the key items in motorcycle design is the fuel tank. Holding 2.9 gallons, the Rebel’s iconic fuel-tank shape is timeless, but functionally it also teams up with the bike’s great fuel efficiency to give you plenty of range.
DIE-CAST ALUMINUM REAR SUBFRAME
Here’s a chance for Honda’s designers to take a functional part of the motorcycle and make it look extra cool. The aluminum subframe/fender mounts are strong, subtle, light, and provide a solid foundation for the optional/removable passenger seat.
WIDE REAR TIRE
The Rebel’s low, fat 16-inch rear tire gives you plenty of grip, and helps lower the bike’s overall seat height and stance. And it looks tough, too.
Twin-cylinder engines are a great choice for a machine like the Rebel 500. Honda twins are famous for their versatility, and the 471cc Rebel 500’s engine is one of our best ever. The parallel-twin engine is narrow, which helps reduce overall bike size. Plus it offers lots of low-rpm torque, but plenty of higher-rpm performance.
CAST ALUMINUM WHEELS
Cast wheels front and rear are light, practical, easy to keep clean, and give the Rebel a look that tells you this is not built like a retro machine. The wide rims and tires add to the bike’s appearance, too.
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION
- Both models’ riding positions are relaxed and neutral, with arms gently outstretched and feet dropping straight down to the mid-mounted pegs.
- Good ground clearances allow sporty lean angles.
- LED headlight, turn signals and taillight reinforce iconic look.
- LCD meter with gear-position indicator and fuel consumption provides pertinent information to the rider.
- To support the Rebel’s low-slung look, its attractive tubular-steel frame holds the engine in three places and is designed to be as narrow as possible around the rider’s inseam. Trail is set at 110 mm, with 28° rake.
- The 41 mm fork stanchions are set wide at 230 mm apart, for rigidity, comfort and style, and the lower legs are blacked-out.
- Fork features buffing on inner pipe for smooth action.
- Fork angle is 30°, wheelbase is 58.7 in. wheelbase and seat height is 27.2 in., resulting in balanced, neutral steering.
- Shock damper tube uses nitrogen gas to stabilize damping force.
- Frame body has a narrow shape and includes an innovative rear loop that separates the seat from the stamped-metal rear fender.
- Dunlop tires (size 130/90-16 front, 150/80-16 rear) are mounted to 16 inch cast-aluminum wheels.
- Both the Rebel 500 and Rebel 300 are available in standard and ABS versions.
- Iconic, peanut-shaped fuel tank, aggressively raked front end and fat tires on large-diameter wheels result in stripped forms that express offbeat individuality from every angle.
- Blacked-out 45 mm tubular swingarm with twin conventional, side-mounted dual shocks that feature two-step preload adjusters.
- Ignition is housed below the left side of the fuel tank.
ENGINE / DRIVETRAIN
- Assist/slipper clutch results in reduced effort in stop-and-go situations, and enhances controlled deceleration.
- Rebel 500 is powered by a 471cc, eight-valve, liquid-cooled parallel-twin engine with strong bottom-end torque and a smooth, linear power delivery.
- Rebel 500 cylinder head uses roller rocker arms; shim-type valve adjustment allows them to be light, for lower valve-spring load and reduced friction.
- Rebel 500 has a silent (SV Chain) cam chain, with the surface of its pins treated with Vanadium to reduce friction through its increased protection against dust. Inlet-valve diameter is 26.0 mm with exhaust-valve diameter of 21.5 mm.
- Rebel 500 has reduced friction through the inclusion of striations on the piston skirt (a finish that increases surface area, introducing gaps in which oil can flow for better lubrication). An AB 1 salt bath process, used after isonite nitriding, forms a protective oxidization membrane.
- Rebel 500 crankshaft pins are phased at 180°, and a primary couple-balancer sits behind the cylinders, close to the bike’s center of gravity. The primary and balancer gears use scissor gears, reducing noise. The crank counterweight is specifically shaped for couple-balance and its light weight allows the engine to spin freely, with low inertia.
- Rebel 500 crankcases use centrifugally cast thin-walled sleeves. Their internal design reduces the “pumping” losses that can occur with a 180° phased firing order. A deep oil sump holds 3.2 liters.
- Rebel 300 is powered by a peppy 286cc single-cylinder engine.
- Six-speed gearbox is designed to offer smooth gear changes.
- Blacked-out mechanical components for a tough, minimalist look.
- Specially designed muffler looks good and emits a pulsating exhaust note.
A full range of official Honda Accessories are available for the Rebel 500 and Rebel 300 and help create their own custom look. Available accessories include but are not limited to stylish main seat, headlight cowl, meter visor, fork cover, and new saddlebag that can be removed without the use of tools and comes with shoulder straps for easy use when you leave the bike.
WARRANTY: Because we are so confident in the quality of each of our Honda Accessories, we are pleased to offer one of the best warranties in the industry. One-year warranty begins on the day accessories are purchased by the customer.
- Meets current EPA and CARB standards
- California version differs slightly due to emissions equipment
2021 Honda Rebel 500 ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $6599 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $ CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
|Type||471cc liquid-cooled 20º parallel-twin four-stroke|
|Valve Train||DOHC; four valves per cylinder|
|Bore x Stroke||67.0 mm x 66.8 mm|
|Induction||PGM-FI; 34 mm throttle bodies|
|Ignition||Computer-controlled digital transistorized w/ electronic advance|
|Final Drive||#520 chain; 15T/40T|
|Front||41 mm telescopic fork; 4.8 in. travel|
|Rear||Twin shock; 3.8 in. travel|
|Front||Single 296 mm disc w/ hydraulic calipers; ABS|
|Rear||Single 240 mm disc w/ hydraulic calipers; ABS|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||28º|
|Trail||110 mm (4.3 in)|
|Seat Height||27.2 in.|
|Ground Clearance||5.3 in.|
|Fuel Capacity||2.95 gal. (0.6 gal. reserve)|
|Color||Matte Gray Metallic; Matte Pearl White|
|Curb Weight*||414 lbs.|
|*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride|
|Meets current EPA standards|
|Models sold in California meet current CARB standards and may differ slightly due to emissions equipment|
2021 Honda Rebel 500 ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
Engine & Drivetrain
Liquid-cooled parallel twin
Bore & Stroke
67 mm x 66.8 mm
DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
PGM-FI electronic fuel injection
#520 O-ring sealed chain (15T/40T)
Chassis & Suspension
41 mm telescopic fork; 121 mm (4.8 in.) travel
Dual shocks (Nitrogen-filled) with five-position spring preload adjustment; 95 mm (3.7 in.) travel
Front: 296 mm disc with two-piston caliper
Rear: 240 mm disc with single-piston caliper
690 mm (27.2 in.)
1,490 mm (58.7 in.)
189 kg (417 lb.) including required fluids and full tank of gas—ready to ride
Mat Pearl Summit White, Mat Axis Gray Metallic
12 months, unlimited mileage, freely transferable warranty; extended coverage available with Honda Plus
2021 Honda Rebel 500 ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).