2021 Honda XR650L: PROVEN. PRACTICAL. AND TOUGH AS NAILS.
Introducing the 2021 Honda XR650L…
In times like these, we all need something we can count on. And in the world of big-bore dual-sport bikes, nothing compares with the Honda XR650L. It’s a tough, proven survivor that’s been a cornerstone of our dual-sport lineup for decades.
Its simple, air-cooled 644cc single-cylinder engine offers legendary reliability and plenty of power, while an electric starter makes your life easier. Long-travel suspension and a rugged steel frame perfected in Baja smooth out dirt roads and in-town commutes, no matter how lousy the pavement.
Other bikes come and go, but Honda’s XR650L is in it for the long run. And you know what? That’s just the way we like it.
When the goal is high-value, dependable dual-sport fun, the tried-and-true XR650L comes through in spades, which is why it continues to be a popular option in Honda’s lineup, year after year. Equally at home on dirt roads, single-track trails, highways and byways, the versatile dual-sport model opens the door to riding adventure like few motorcycles ever have. Those characteristics, plus its Baja heritage, have garnered the model its diehard following of riders.
2021 Honda XR650L Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- 644cc air-cooled single-cylinder engine
- Honda’s patented Radial Four-Valve Combustion Chamber (RFVCTM)
- Electric starter
- 21-inch front wheel
- Pro-Link®rear suspension
- Disc brakes front and rear
- Street legal/dirt ready
2021 Honda XR650L Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
The XR650L’s four-stroke, single-cylinder engine offers good fuel efficiency and a wide powerband. In addition, its proven powerplant requires very little maintenance.
Front- and rear-disc brakes provide superior stopping power. Both front and rear disc rotors are drilled for lightness and better wet-weather performance.
Adventure is just the push of a button away. The XR650L’s electric starter takes all the drama out of restarting off-road, or getting underway on a cold morning or after the bike’s been sitting all week.
Fully equipped for the street—including turn signals, license-plate light, mirrors, speedometer and more. There’s even a grab strap and footpegs for a passenger.
With a passenger grab strap, folding passenger pegs, a long MX-style seat and plenty of Honda power, the XR650L lets you carry a passenger with ease.
No maintenance hassles here, even in case of an off-road tip over. The sealed battery has plenty of cranking power for the electric starter, and is well protected from the vibrations of off-road riding.
The XR’s dry-sump design keeps the engine compact and eliminates the oil pan for superior ground clearance and damage resistance. With the engine oil in the frame, the frame itself acts like a giant oil cooler.
18-INCH REAR WHEEL
The 18-inch rear wheel gives you a better overall ride and more sidewall protection against flats, and still offers a wide choice of on- or off-road tires.
21-INCH FRONT WHEEL
The 21-inch front wheel gives you a wide choice of tire selection for different riding conditions.
LONG-TRAVEL FRONT SUSPENSION
With a full 11.6 inches of travel, the air-adjustable 43mm fork also offers 16-position compression damping adjustability, letting you fine-tune it to deal with the bumps of off-road riding.
PRO-LINK® REAR SUSPENSION
Honda’s Pro-Link® rear suspension system offers compliant and comfortable ride quality with a high level of wheel control. Initial rates are soft for supple action over small bumps and ripples, while increasingly stiffer rates resist bottoming and maintain rear-wheel control over rougher surfaces.
The XR650L’s steel frame is designed to handle the intensity of off-road travel. Plus, the frame’s backbone doubles as the engine’s oil tank, saving weight and space.
ENGINE / DRIVETRAIN
- Bulletproof 644cc SOHC four-stroke engine produces power and torque ideally suited for both on- and off-road riding.
- Radial Four-Valve Combustion Chamber (RFVC) allows excellent combustion efficiency and high power output.
- 42.5mm constant-velocity (CV) carburetor offers crisp throttle response, excellent rideability and maximum power.
- Reliable electric starter system allows easy push-button starting.
- Gear-driven counterbalancer minimizes bothersome and tiring vibration.
- Free-flowing, 2-into-1 exhaust system with quiet, USDA-qualified spark arrester/muffler.
- Maintenance-free automatic cam-chain tensioner and maintenance-free CD ignition with electronic advance keep you out of the shop and on the road.
- Dry-sump engine maximizes power by minimizing crankshaft windage and engine temperature.
- Durable five-speed transmission offers a gear for every on- or off-road situation.
- Heavy-duty, multi-plate clutch.
- Heavy-duty, low-maintenance #520 O-ring-sealed drive chain.
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION
- Honda Racing-inspired colors and graphics.
- Semi-double-cradle steel frame is lightweight, strong and offers precise handling manners.
- 43mm Showa cartridge fork features 16-position compression damping adjustability and superb off-road performance.
- Pro-Link® rear suspension.
- Lightweight, strong and durable aluminum box-section swingarm with quick-detach rear wheel.
- Front and rear disc brakes offer superb stopping power.
- Lightweight yet super-strong wheels.
- Frame-mounted passenger footrests for two-up riding capability.
- Aggressive, dual-purpose front and rear tires offer excellent performance both on- and off-road.
- 18-inch rear wheel for greater tire selection.
- Lightweight rims and hubs feature straight-pull spokes.
- Combination headlight/number plate and dual airflow shrouds direct cool air to the engine.
- Enduro-style headlight features high/low beams.
- Motocross-style seat is comfortable and allows maximum rider movement.
- Large, durable fenders keep debris off the rider.
- Lightweight tubular engine guard.
- Wide-section, folding, cleated foot pegs are comfortable and self-cleaning.
- Flex-mounted turn signals resist breakage.
- Compact speedometer features tripmeter/odometer, a neutral light as well as high-beam, turn-signal and side-stand indicators.
- High-quality controls include comfortable grips and brush guards.
Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- Meets current CARB and EPA standards.
- California version differs slightly due to emissions equipment
2021 Honda XR650L – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $6999 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $ CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
|Type||644cc air-cooled, dry-sump, single-cylinder four-stroke|
|Valve Train||SOHC; four valve RFVC|
|Bore x Stroke||100.0mm x 82.0mm|
|Induction||42.5mm diaphragm-type CV carburetor|
|Ignition||CD w/ electronic advance|
|Final Drive||#520 O-ring sealed chain; 15T/45T|
|43mm air-adjustable leading-axle Showa cartridge telescopic
fork w/ 16-position compression damping adjustability; 11.6 in. travel
|Pro-Link Showa single shock w/ spring preload, 20-position compression damping and 20-position rebound damping adjustability; 11.0 in. travel|
|Front||Single 256mm disc w/ twin-piston caliper|
|Rear||Single 220mm disc w/ single-piston caliper|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||27°|
|Trail||102mm (4.0 in.)|
|Seat Height||37.0 in.|
|Ground Clearance||13.0 in.|
|Fuel Capacity||2.8 gal., incl. 0.6 gal. reserve|
|Curb Weight*||346 lbs.|
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride Meets current EPA and CARB emissions standards
2021 Honda XR650L – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
2021 Honda XR650L – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).