Introducing the 2024 Kawasaki Z650RS ABS…
The Kawasaki Z650RS ABS is a retro sport model that combines timeless good looks inherited from Kawasaki’s original Z models with a compact, easy-handling package that provides great everyday rideability
The Kawasaki Z650RS ABS continues to be a staple in the Z motorcycle lineup in 2024. It’s a true middleweight retro sport that combines timeless looks inherited from the Z900RS with a compact, responsive package that riders will love to enjoy daily. The Z650RS ABS has a fun and easy character and features a parallel-twin 649cc engine, lightweight trellis frame, telescopic front fork and horizontal back-link rear suspension, dual-dial instrumentation with multi-function LCD screen, round LED headlight, spoke-style cast wheels, disc brakes with standard ABS, assist and slipper clutch, and a relaxed retro-style riding position. Distinguishing itself from its bigger Z900RS sibling is a slimmer fuel tank and a shorter, more compact tail.
For 2024, the Z650RS ABS receives Kawasaki TRaction Control (KTRC), Kawasaki’s advanced traction control system that provides both enhanced sport riding performance and the peace of mind under certain conditions to negotiate low-traction surfaces with confidence. The system looks at a number of parameters to get an accurate, real-time picture and allows riders to select between two modes to suit their riding situation and preference. Mode 1 is the least intrusive, helping to manage traction during cornering and designed with sport riding in mind. This mode facilitates acceleration out of corners by maximizing forward drive from the rear wheel. In Mode 2, intervention occurs earlier, meaning when excessive wheel spin is detected the engine output is reduced to allow grip to be regained. This helps riders navigate wet pavement or bad stretches of road. Additionally, riders may elect to turn the system off.
The Z650RS ABS is available in Ebony / Metallic Matte Carbon Grey.
2024 Kawasaki Z650RS ABS Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- PARALLEL TWIN ENGINE TUNED FOR LOW-MID RANGE POWER & TORQUE
- SLIM DESIGN AND LOW SEAT HEIGHT
- NOW WITH KAWASAKI TRACTION CONTROL (KTRC)
- TWIN-CYLINDER ENGINE DELIVERS STRONG, SMOOTH AND RESPONSIVE POWER
- ASSIST AND SLIPPER CLUTCH PROVIDES LIGHT FEEL, EASY OPERATION
- LIGHTWEIGHT TRELLIS FRAME
- HORIZONTAL BACK-LINK REAR SUSPENSION SYSTEM
- LED HEADLIGHT
- RELAXED RETRO-STYLE RIDING POSITION
KAWASAKI ANNOUNCES FALL RELEASE OF 2024 STREET MOTORCYCLES
No matter what type of motorcycle you’re looking for, Kawasaki’s 2024 lineup has the model for you as it welcomes the return of several retro sport, hypernaked, supernaked, mini naked, hypersport, supersport, sport, retro classic, cruisers, adventure touring, and dual-sport models to its street motorcycle lineup. These 2024 model-year motorcycles are set to arrive in Kawasaki dealerships during the fall months so that riders can continue to “Let the Good Times Roll.”
2024 Kawasaki Z650RS ABS Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
NEW FOR 2024
Kawasaki TRaction Control (KTRC)
• Kawasaki’s advanced traction control system provides both enhanced sport riding performance and reassurance under certain conditions to allow riders to negotiate low-traction surfaces with confidence.
Three modes allow riders to adjust settings to suit the riding situation and rider preference.
– Mode 1, the least intrusive, helps to manage traction during cornering. Designed with sport riding in mind, it facilitates acceleration out of corners by maximizing forward drive from the rear wheel.
– In Mode 2, intervention occurs earlier. When excessive wheel spin is detected, engine output is reduced to allow grip to be regained, effectively enabling riders to negotiate both short, challenging patches (train tracks or manhole covers) and extended stretches of bad roads (wet pavement, cobblestone, gravel) with confidence.
– A switch on the left switch housing gives the rider the option to turn the system off. KTRC is always on when the engine is started.
Compact 649cc Twin-Cylinder, DOHC Engine
• Tuned to deliver strong, smooth and responsive power, especially in the low-to-mid-range, for rider-friendly power characteristics that facilitate control and inspire confidence over a wide range of riding conditions.
• Camshafts have short operating angle and valve overlap for optimum performance in the low-to-mid-range.
• Optimized intake port shape also helps boost low and midrange response and performance.
• Slim airbox contributes to low and mid-range power feeling and contributes to the overall slim design of the bike.
• Exhaust system has a short header to boost top-end power while the sleek muffler’s internal construction enhances low-to-mid-range power delivery.
• Muffler is mounted below the engine to help lower the center of gravity and aid weight centralization.
• Kawasaki Air Management System (KAMS) radiator fan cover helps direct hot engine air down to the ground and away from the rider.
• Compact parallel twin engine helps reduce the dimensions of the entire motorcycle to keep it small and nimble.
• Triangular crank and transmission shaft layout makes the engine very short from front to back, a semi-dry sump oil system reduces overall engine height, while the narrow pitch of the chrome composite plated aluminum cylinders helps reduce engine width.
• 180-degree crankshaft plus balancer shaft for extremely smooth engine operation.
• Oil jets in the connecting rod big ends spray oil on the undersides of the pistons to aid cooling.
Digital Fuel Injection
• 36mm Keihin throttle bodies contribute to the strong low-to-mid-range power and feature dual throttle valves for optimum performance and rideability. The sub throttles, located behind the main throttle valves, are controlled by the ECU so that the DFI system has precise throttle response.
• Precise fuel delivery through the fine atomizing injectors plus exhaust catalyzer significantly reduce emissions.
• Automatic fast idle system makes starting and warm-up easy.
• Cassette-style transmission puts the transmission shafts and shift drum into a compact layout which helps reduce overall engine size.
• Positive Neutral Finder is a Kawasaki exclusive user-friendly feature that allows the rider to easily shift from first gear and only into neutral when the bike is at stop.
Horizontal Back-link Rear Suspension
• The linkage is placed atop the swingarm and helps make room for the under-engine muffler for better mass centralization.
• Rear shock is further away from the exhaust so that its operation will not be affected by exhaust heat.
• Gull-wing swingarm also allows clearance for the muffler while contributing to light, natural handling.
• High-tensile steel trellis frame has optimized dimensions and wall thicknesses to reduce frame weight and contribute to extremely light handling.
• Frame components are arranged so that the lines of the frame are as straight as possible. When bends were necessary their angles were as small as possible, resulting in a design that disperses stress extremely well.
• Three-point, rigidly mounted engine and footpeg stays are used as stressed members to further contribute to weight reduction.
Triple Petal Design Brake Discs
• Available Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) helps assist braking under certain conditions and features a small Bosch 9.1M control unit to save space and weight.
• Nissin brake calipers have a sporty image and contain front and rear brake specific pads; the front providing strong initial bite and the rear offering optimum control and high overall brake force.
• Front brake calipers have large 27mm pistons for excellent brake feel.
• Petal design offers improved cooling and warp resistance.
Assist & Slipper Clutch
• Using the rotational forces of the clutch hub and pressure plate, the clutch is forced together during acceleration (Assist function) so that fewer and lighter clutch springs can be used for a lighter feel at the lever. During high back-torque, such as when too low of gear is selected, the Slipper function allows some clutch slippage to help prevent engine lockup and stalling, and rear-wheel hop.
Spoke-Style Cast Wheels
• Original cast wheels feature flat spokes designed to look like classic wire-spoked wheels. Designed using Kawasaki’s advanced analysis technology, the wheels offer a balance of light weight and stylish looks, contributing to both handling and a design suited to the retro category.
• Low unsprung weight contributes to the light, natural handling.
• Dunlop Sportmax RoadSport 2 tires further contribute to the light handling
Relaxed Riding Position
• Wide, flat handlebar and a relaxed riding position puts the rider in a natural, comfortable position that helps inspire confidence for a wide range of riders.
• Wide, flat handlebar contributes to the retro sport styling while offering a wide grip to facilitate control.
• The upper-triple clamp is positioned 20 mm higher than the Z650, contributing to the higher handlebar position and a more upright riding position. Relative to the Z650, the handle grips are 50 mm higher and 30 mm back (closer to the rider).
• A wide 35° steering angle assists with low-speed maneuvering.
• The low seat height and slim overall design helps riders to put both feet on the ground when stopped, further instilling confidence.
• Footpeg position offers a relaxed knee bend, contributing to rider comfort.
• Slim fuel tank provides a comfortable fit for gripping with the knees.
• Stepped seat offers a wide seating area for good ride comfort. The seat is slimmer at the front to help rider’s reach to the ground.
• Rubber-mounted handlebar helps reduce vibration transmitted through the handle grips and to the mirrors.
• Both clutch and brake levers are 5-way adjustable to help accommodate a variety of hand sizes for increased comfort.
• Rider and passenger footpegs feature rubber pads. A hard compound combined with hollow center helps reduce vibration felt through the footpegs.
• A blend of retro and modern designs, the round LED headlight casts a bright, white light. It features two chambers for low and high beam, both with position lamps to ensure the whole lamp appears lit, like a retro-style bulb headlight. The grooved design on the thick headlight ring adds a modern touch.
• Retro-style fuel tank design uses edges dividing the top and sides of the tank to emphasise its compact size.
• Simple design of the side covers contributes to the modern retro-styling.
• Unlike the upswept tail of the Z650, the tail of the Z650RS traces a horizontal line, contributing to the bike’s flat stance.
• The original-design stepped seat is unique to the Z650RS.
• The oval design of the LED taillight is an homage to Kawasaki’s old-school Z models. Unlike standard LED taillights that appear as a collection of dots, the Z650RS’ LED taillight lights up as a solid surface, much like a bulb taillight, creating a design that is both retro and modern.
Dual-Dial Instrumentation with Multi-Function LCD
• Analogue-style speedometer and tachometer dials are complemented by a multi-functional LCD screen, balancing retro-style looks with modern functionality.
• Bullet-shaped dial cases add to the retro appearance, while the modern typeface used on the dial faces add a contemporary touch.
• LCD screen features white letters on a black background, adding to the instrument cluster’s sporty, modern appearance.
• Gear position indicator increases shifting precision and confidence.
• In addition to the gear position indicator, display functions include: odometer, dual trip meters, fuel gauge, remaining range, current and average fuel consumption, coolant temperature, clock and the
Economical Riding Indicator.
• The Economical Riding Indicator appears on the LCD screen when fuel consumption is favorable. Paying attention to conditions that result in the
mark appearing can assist riders to maximize fuel efficiency
2024 Kawasaki Z650RS ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $9,599 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $10,599 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ NA GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine 4-stroke, 2-cylinder, DOHC, liquid-cooled
Bore x Stroke 83.0 x 60.0mm
Compression Ratio 10.8:1
Fuel System DFI® with Keihin 36mm throttle bodies
Ignition TCBI with Electronic Advance
Transmission 6-speed, return shift
Final Drive Sealed chain
Electronic Rider Aids Economical Riding Indicator, Kawasaki TRaction Control (KTRC – 3 Modes), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS)
Maximum Torque 48.5 lb-ft @ 6,500 rpm
Front Suspension / Wheel Travel Telescopic fork/4.9 in
Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel Horizontal back-link with adjustable preload, swingarm/5.1 in
Front Tire 120/70 ZR17
Rear Tire 160/60 ZR17
Front Brakes Dual 300mm petal-style discs with two-piston calipers, (and ABS)
Rear Brakes Single 220mm petal-style disc, (and ABS)
Frame Type Trellis, high tensile steel
Rake/Trail 24.0°/3.9 in
Overall Length 80.9 in
Overall Width 29.1 in
Overall Height 45.1 in
Ground Clearance 5.1 in
Seat Height 31.1 in
Curb Weight 423.4 lb*
Fuel Capacity 4.0 gal
Wheelbase 55.5 in
Special Features Smartphone Connectivity via RIDEOLOGY THE APP, TFT Instrumentation
Color Choices Ebony/Metallic Matte Carbon Gray
Warranty 12 Month Limited Warranty
Kawasaki Protection Plus™ (optional) 12, 24, 36, or 48 months
2024 Kawasaki Z650RS ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Engine 649cc, liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC 8-valve parallel twin
Bore x Stroke 83.0 x 60.0 mm
Compression Ratio 10.8:1
Fuel System Fuel injection: ø36 mm x 2 with dual throttle valves
Lubrication Forced lubrication, semi-dry sump
Transmission 6-speed, return
Clutch Wet multi-disc, manual
Final Drive Chain
Frame Trellis, high-tensile steel
Front Suspension / Wheel Travel ø41 mm telescopic fork / 125 mm (4.9 in)
Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel Horizontal Back-link, single-shock with adjustable spring preload / 130 mm (5.1 in)
Rake / Trail 24.0° / 100 mm
Steering Angle (L/R) 35° / 35°
Front Tire 120/70ZR17M/C (58W)
Rear Tire 160/60ZR17M/C (69W)
Front Brakes Dual semi-floating ø300 mm discs with dual-piston calipers
Front Brake ø220 mm disc with single-piston caliper
Colour: CANDY MEDIUM RED
Dimensions (L x W x H) 2,065 x 800 x 1,115 mm (81.3 x 31.5 x 43.9 in)
Wheelbase 1,405 mm (55.3 in)
Road Clearance 125 mm (4.9 in)
Seat Height 800 mm (31.5 in)
Curb Mass** 187 kg (412 lb)
Fuel Capacity 12 litres
Instrumentation Analogue-style speedometer and tachometer + multi-function LCD screen with KTRC mode indicator, gear position indicator, odometer, dual trip meters, fuel gauge, remaining range, current and average fuel consumption, coolant temperature, clock and Economical Riding Indicator
Warranty 12 months
Kawasaki Protection Plus 12 / 24 / 36 / 48 months
2024 Kawasaki Z650RS ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).