Click photo to enlarge.
It makes a great desktop image.
– 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Mean Streak
More rock. Less talk.
Rumour has it you’ve got a mean streak. But you’ll take it as a compliment as you fire up the 1470cc fuel-injected V-Twin on your Vulcan® 1500 Mean Streak™ and power onto the highway. To those aboard lesser cruisers, one glimpse of the Mean Streak proves this is no ordinary cruiser. The giveaways? Chromed shotgun exhausts flowing past dual lay-down shocks. A rigid inverted fork with massive dual disc brakes from our Ninja® ZX-9R sportbike. A special frame with sharper steering geometry for tremendous handling. And fat 17-inch wheels and immense radial performance rubber. But don’t forget what’s inside the Mean Streak: a stronger crankshaft with special pistons, gnarly camshafts, larger valves and a special lightweight valvetrain for maximum high-rpm power. So let ‘em talk about you. And let the Mean Streak talk for you.
You could call it the most powerful V-twin cruiser Kawasaki’s ever built. Or you could call it a down-and-dirty streetfighter with a sportbike soul. Whatever you call it, the Vulcan 1500 Mean Streak™ motorcycle has the most attitude in the Kawasaki cruiser line-up. In fact, since its inception in 2002, Mean Streak has been the most talked about motorcycle in the popular performance cruiser category.
– The Mean Streak cruiser’s high performance is based in traditional hot-rodding techniques.
– Bigger valves. Higher lift cams. Free-breathing exhaust. Larger throttle bodies. Reprogrammed digital fuel injection. Different digital ignition timing. New lower transmission ratios.
– Mean Streak’s performance package includes solid Kawasaki engineering and technology: Liquid cooling. 4-valve alloy cylinder heads. Lightweight pistons. Single Overhead Cams. Dual spark plugs per cylinder. Hydraulic valve lash adjusters.
– Each cylinder has a 102mm bore and 90mm stroke which provides punchy response and plenty of high-rpm power when needed.
– The digital fuel injection system with two huge 40mm throttle bodies feeds each cylinder. A separate intake tract for each throttle body provides smooth engine operation, plus the tip of each injector contains four nozzles, with two of those aimed at each intake valve for optimum fuel atomization.
– Sensors keep track of intake vacuum, intake air temperature and water temperature.
– Instruments include a lightweight electronic speedometer and tachometer with white-faced dials. Additional digital instrumentation includes an odometer, tripmeter, clock and low-fuel warning lamp.
– The wide-pitched inverted 43mm cartridge-type front fork, with 32° of rake and 5.7 inches (145 mm) of trail, offers superior handling.
– Twin air-assisted rear shocks feature 4-way rebound damping.
– Differentially sized six-piston front brake calipers grip two large 320mm semi-floating discs to provide incredible sportbike-like braking performance.
– Additional high performance sportbike-influenced technology includes wide 17-inch front and rear rims sporting sticky radial tires for maximum traction and cornering performance.
– Low-slung chassis provides a sleek drag bike look. Pulled-back handlebar is low and wide to offer a relaxed riding position, plus the seat height is a comfortably low 27.6 inches (701 mm ).
– Check out the line of genuine Fire & Steel™ accessories you can order from your Kawasaki dealer.
Vulcan 1500 Mean Streak
Engine type 4-stroke V-Twin
Displacement 1470 cc
Bore x stroke 102 x 90mm
Compression Ratio 9.0:1
Valve system SOHC, 8 valves
Cooling system Liquid
Fuel system Digital Fuel Injection with dual 40mm throttle bodies
Transmission 5-speed with Positive Neutral Finder
Final Drive Shaft
Frame type Double-cradle, high-tensile steel
Rake/trail 32°/145 mm (5.7 inches)
Suspension, front 43mm inverted cartridge/ conventional telescopic fork
Suspension, rear Dual air-assisted shocks with 4-way rebound damping
Tire, front 130/70R-17 62H
Tire, rear 170/60R-17 72H
Brakes, front/rear Dual discs/disc
Wheelbase 1704 mm (67.1 inches)
Seat height 701 mm (27.6 inches)
Fuel capacity 17 litres (3.7 gallons)
Dry weight 289 kg (637 pounds)
Colours Black Pearl or Passion Red or Metallic Phantom Silver
GTPP available 2/3 year
Specifications are subject to change without notice, in accordance with national regulation and legislations.