2005 Yamaha FZ1
Back to 2005 Yamaha Motorcycle Index Page
– 2005 Yamaha FZ1
Motorcyclist Magazine’s ”Best Naked Bike” (Sept. 2003), the FZ1’s heritage can be found in the legendary R1. The 2005 FZ1 packs some serious horsepower and torque into a chassis that handles like a superbike yet is comfortable enough to ride all day long. For the rider who craves sport bike performance but prefers more comfortable ergonomics, the FZ1 is the perfect solution.
Everyday Comfort Coupled with Razor Sharp Handling and Open Class Power
Cycle World Magazine’s “World’s Best Streetbike”
— Oct. 2004
For the rider who likes sportbike performance but prefers more comfortable ergonomics. The FZ1 offers a more traditional upright seating position, yet sacrifices nothing in terms of engine and handling performance.
Sometimes it feels sinful to hide an engine like the R1 derived, 20-valve, Genesis powerplant behind bodywork … hence the FZ1.
Our “naked” bike, though, is fully decked out:
Fully adjustable suspension at both ends
Four-piston monoblock calipers
Light, three-spoke aluminum wheels
Wide, high-performance tires
The same semi-upright ergonomics that make dawn `til dusk rides not just possible but highly enjoyable also provide great leverage when the road turns twisty.
In the end, you can come at it from either direction: practical transportation, or 140-horse sportbike.
Both paths will bring you around, eventually, to the one bike that’s both. FZ1.
Features & Benefits
· R-1 based, ultra-lightweight 998cc, DOHC, 20-valve, liquid-cooled, slant block, in-line four-cylinder engine tuned for outstanding mid to top end punch.
· One-piece cylinder and upper crankcase assembly provides tremendous engine rigidity that’s lighter and stiffer than two-piece designs.
· Ceramic composite cylinder bores ensure great heat dissipation for consistent power delivery and reduced friction.
· Special cylinder head design with oval intake ports is exclusive to the FZ1.
· Lightweight forged pistons feature carburized connecting rods for superb strength and reduced reciprocating mass for fast engine response.
· Compact, lightweight clutch assembly provides consistent, positive engagement.
· Specially designed shift linkage ensures silky-smooth shift feeling from the 6-speed transmission.
· R-1 derived stacks “Tri-Axis” 6-speed transmission delivers seamless power transfer between gears for maximum performance. Stacking the shafts produces a shorter engine front to back, allowing the engineers to place the engine precisely in the frame for optimum balance and handling.
· Four Mikuni BSR 37mm horizontally mounted carburetors with TPS provide precise fuel/air mixture for superb power and throttle response across the entire rev range.
· Throttle position sensor monitors throttle position and adjusts ignition timing to ensure maximum muscle.
· Yamaha’s patented Exhaust Ultimate Powervalve (EXUP) monitors engine rpm and adjusts exhaust flow for maximum performance at all rpms with no flat spots.
· 4-into-1 exhaust features stainless steel header pipes and muffler for outstanding appearance and durability.
· High capacity fan-cooled radiator features a steel mesh protector.
· Liquid-cooled oil cooler maintains consistent oil temperatures for extended engine life.
· Maintenance-free transistor-controlled digital ignition ensures great performance.
· Automatic cam chain tensioner reduces maintenance and engine noise.
· Air induction system (AIS) reduces HC and CO emissions.
· Ultra-rigid double-cradle frame design features 48mm top frame rails for extra rigidity and incredible handling. The 49 degree maximum lean angle highlights the FZ1 sporty side.
· Box section aluminum swingarm is lightweight and extremely rigid for razor-sharp cornering and superb stability at speed.
· 43mm cartridge style fork is fully adjustable and offers 140mm (5.6″) of wheel travel. Adjustments include: 5 spring preload positions, 21-way compression damping and 17-way rebound damping.
· Monocross rear suspension features a fully adjustable piggyback shock that allows the rider to tailor suspension settings to match load and road conditions. Adjustments include 11 positions of spring preload, 12-way compression damping and 17-way rebound damping.
· Dual 298mm front disc brakes with one-piece 4-piston calipers provide outstanding stopping power.
· 267mm rear disc brake with opposed piston caliper.
· Lightweight cast-aluminum 3-spoke wheels wear competition-spec 120/70-ZR17 front and 180/55-ZR17 rear radial tires.
· Unique fairing features a half-cowl design with R1-style headlights that creates a super-aggressive profile.
· Conventional handlebar design features a more upright positioning for maximum everyday comfort.
· 21-litre fuel tank means an extended riding range.
· Single-piece double seat offers exceptional solo or two-up comfort.
· High-tech instrument display features analog tachometer, speedometer and fuel gauge as well as digital odometer, dual tripmeters and clock.
· Bright dual 60/55-watt halogen headlights.
· Dual-bulb taillight design reduces both weight and size while providing excellent visibility.
· Convenient centre stand
· Low fuel warning light
· Handlebar-mounted choke
· Integrated passenger grab rails
· Adjustable, 5-position front brake lever
· Durable “O”-ring-sealed drive chain
· Sealed low-maintenance battery
· Excessive lean angle engine cut-out switch
· Lockable steering and helmet holder
High-tech instrument display features analog tachometer, speedometer and fuel gauge, digital odometer and clock, and lights for neutral, high beam, low fuel, turn signals, low oil and coolant temperature.
Dual 12V 60/55-watt multireflector headlight features a sleek, R1-type profile for superb aerodynamics and visibility.
Dual-bulb, sporty taillight design reduces both weight and size while providing excellent visibility.
Standard toolkit located in convenient storage compartment under passenger seat.
Centerstand for easier maintenance.
$8,599* Available from December 2004
998cc, liquid-cooled, 20-valve, DOHC, in-line four-cylinder
Bore x Stroke
74 x 58mm
(4) 37mm Mikuni CV w/throttle position sensor (TPS)
6-speed w/multi-plate clutch
43mm telescopic fork w/adjustable preload, compression and rebound damping; 5.6″ travel
Single shock w/piggyback reservoir and adjustable preload, compression and rebound damping; 5.3″ travel
Dual 298mm floating discs w/4-piston calipers
267mm disc w/single-piston caliper
Rake (Caster Angle)
Oil Capacity (with oil filter change)
#1,4: #132.5 #2,3: #130
Main Air Jet
#1,4: 5D129-3/5 #2,3: 5D130-3/5
Pilot Air Jet 1
Primary Reduction Ratio
Secondary Reduction Ratio
Gear Ratio – 1st Gear
Gear Ratio – 2nd Gear
Gear Ratio – 3rd Gear
Gear Ratio – 4th Gear
Gear Ratio – 5th Gear
Gear Ratio – 6th Gear
Team Yamaha Blue, Liquid Silver
1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)