2006 Honda ST1300
Back to 2006 Honda Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2006 Honda ST1300
2006 Honda ST1300
Unparalleled in the world of sport touring, the ST1300 combines long-distance comfort with superlative performance and excellent handling.
Features & Benefits
New for 2006
– Available in Black.
– Powerful, liquid-cooled 1261cc longitudinally mounted V-4 engine produces 125 bhp at 8000 rpm and 85 lb./ft. of torque at 6000 rpm for effortless acceleration and passing power.
– The 2006 ST1300 meets the California Air Resources Board (CARB) 2008 emissions standards.
– Programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) and electronic digital ignition maximize power output and provide immediate throttle response.
– Aluminum frame combines optimal rigidity and tuned flex to produce excellent handling, superb riding comfort and wonderful road feel.
– A second model is equipped with an Antilock Brake System (ABS) for even better braking control.
– Touring features include full-coverage bodywork, three-way adjustable rider’s seat, and two large, 35-liter detachable saddlebags. Windscreen height can be adjusted manually, and both models feature push-button, motor-driven windscreen adjustability to alter height and angle.
– Compact, powerful 1261cc DOHC 90° V-4 engine with an oversquare bore and stroke of 78mm x 66mm. Longitudinal engine-mounting eliminates an inefficient 90-degree turn in the power flow for improved drivetrain efficiency.
– The ST1300’s low overall center of gravity contributes to improved low speed handling. The 360 degree crank contributes to a very broad powerband. Two engine counterbalancers virtually eliminate primary and secondary vibration. Both gear-driven counterbalancer shafts are installed in the lower crankcase, to the left side of the crankshaft. The first shaft is driven directly by the crankshaft at a 2:1 ratio. The second shaft is positioned below the first and is driven in the opposite direction by the first balancer shaft’s drive gear. The combination of these two balancers assures a supremely comfortable ride for the long-distance touring rider.
– Aluminum composite cylinder sleeves are high-pressure-formed from sintered aluminum powder impregnated with ceramic and graphite. The composite sleeves provide better wear resistance and superior heat dissipation compared to conventional sleeves.
– Silent-type cam-chain drive eliminates the previous model’s wider belt-driven cam drive, reducing engine length 10mm and lowering overall weight.
– Large, 31mm intake valves and 27mm exhaust valves feed a combustion chamber with a 10.8:1 compression ratio.
– Direct shim-under-bucket valve actuation system ensures high-rpm durability and allows 16,000-mile valve maintenance intervals.
– Four 36mm throttle bodies.
– High-pressure PGM-FI delivers fuel at 50 psi into each injector.
– Fuel is delivered through eight laser-drilled nozzle holes in each injector, producing a very fine spray and a highly combustible air/fuel charge for maximum combustion efficiency and power.
– PGM-FI combines a sophisticated throttle sensor, advanced 3-D digital fuel injection and ignition mapping and precisely metered fuel delivery to produce smooth and linear throttle response.
– ECU-controlled closed-loop emission control system utilizes two oxygen sensors to constantly deliver a precise air/fuel mixture, while two exhaust catalyzers further reduce emissions of carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons and oxides of nitrogen.
– Auto-enriching system is integrated into PGM-FI module, optimizing the air/fuel mixture on cold starts and eliminating the need for a manual choke.
– Four-into-two stainless steel exhaust system features a pair of attractive triangular-section, 5.4-liter mufflers with stainless steel heat shields.
– Dampers on the transmission mainshaft, clutch and drive shaft reduce noise, vibration and driveline lash.
– High-output, 660-watt air-cooled alternator is located between the cylinder banks, contributing to a shorter and more compact engine design.
– U-shape aluminum radiator has excellent cooling capacity, and a ring-type fan draws air through the radiator at low speeds to ensure stable operating temperatures for consistent performance and long engine life.
– Sturdy eight-plate hydraulic clutch.
– Cassette-type five-speed transmission features gear ratios that allow for quicker acceleration and excellent roll-on performance.
– Quiet and reliable shaft-drive system is virtually maintenance-free.
– Aluminum frame features a massive steering head casting and triple-box-section spars. The V-4 engine serves as a tuned, stressed frame member. The solid engine-mounting system utilizes specially designed hangers and carefully matched mounting bolts to provide both excellent road feel and minimal engine vibration.
– Lightweight aluminum swingarm is carefully matched to the frame to provide an ideal balance of rigidity and tuned flex for optimal handling.
– Rigid aluminum upper triple-clamp and a 45mm Honda Multi-Action System (HMAS) cartridge front fork provide excellent suspension control in a wide range of riding conditions.
– The rear suspension incorporates a single shock, which mounts directly on the swingarm. The shock offers 1.2 inches of spring preload adjustability.
– Linked Braking System (LBS™) uses a second master cylinder and a proportional control valve (PCV) to couple the three-piston calipers of the dual-disc front and single-disc rear brakes for even better braking feel, while providing the peace of mind of an LBS system. Using the front brake lever activates the outer two pistons of the front calipers and the two outer pistons of the rear caliper. Rear pedal engagement activates the center piston of the rear brake caliper and the center pistons of the front calipers, and a delay valve slows initial front brake response to minimize front-end dive.
– ABS model combines with LBS for a wide range of braking and steering control. ABS features an electric-motor-driven modulator that gives quick, precise braking pressure adjustments and smooth ABS operation. The system incorporates an integrated ECU controller, self-diagnostics with an interactive ECU test function, and automatic protection against system failure.
– The ST1300’s 310mm stainless steel floating front brake discs feature a lightweight seven-spoke inner rotor and 316mm rear rotor saves another 10.5 ounces, further reducing unsprung weight.
– Silver wheels are three-spoke U-section cast aluminum. 5.0-inch-wide rear wheel is nearly 9 ounces lighter than the previous design and sports a large, low-profile 170/60ZR-17 radial tire. The 3.5-inch-wide front wheel carries a 120/70ZR-18 radial tire.
– Full-coverage bodywork features an Aero-Ellipse form that incorporates striking parabolic lines to accentuate the look of speed as well as enhance stability at high speeds.
– Three-position rider’s seat provides an adjustment range of 1.2 inches vertically and 1.0 inch horizontally. From the forward and lowest position, the seat can be moved up 0.6 inches and back approximately 0.5 inches to the middle position and again by the same amount to the highest rear position.
– A motor-driven adjustable windscreen offers 7.4 inches and 13 degrees of adjustability for greater wind protection and touring comfort. A thumb-operated pushbutton on the left handlebar operates the windscreen motor. An additional 2.3 inches of manual adjustment is possible by repositioning the windshield on the mounting brackets.
– Integrated lockable and detachable saddlebags hold 35 liters each (large enough for a full-face helmet). The saddlebags contain straps to limit bag opening to 90 degrees to better secure the contents. The straps are easily unbuckled when the bags are dismounted, permitting full access.
– Rugged, plastic-covered body-protector stays extend outward to protect the bodywork in case of a tip-over.
– Dual-section fuel tank places 5.5 gallons of fuel in the conventional tank location with an additional 2.2 gallons located in a sub-tank located low in the chassis. This results in an increase in fuel capacity and an even weight distribution for fuel.
– An electric fuel pump operates inside the sub-tank, providing consistent fuel pressure for the PGM-FI system.
– Headlight features dual lenses with twin-filament H4 low/high beam bulbs and multi-reflectors.
– A convenient push button located on the left side of the fairing electrically adjusts the headlight height over a 2.5-degree range.
– Roomy cockpit and ergonomically designed dual-density seat offer true long-haul comfort.
– Attractive, lightweight two-piece aluminum handlebars.
– A locking left-side fairing pocket offers the carrying capacity of an automobile console; a weather-resistant vinyl flap covers the right-side pocket.
– Breakaway rear view mirrors minimize damage in the event of a tipover.
– Padded passenger grabrails.
– Convenient centerstand assist-lever folds neatly away when not in use.
– Integrated front and rear turn signals.
– Integrated ignition switch/fork lock. A single ignition key operates all locks.
– Handlebar switches and controls use internationally approved ISO graphic symbols.
– Transferable three-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
– Ownership includes one-year complimentary membership for an individual in the Honda Rider’s Club of America™ (HRCA®). Benefits include: discounts, travel benefits, roadside assistance, one year of Honda Red Rider™ magazine, access to HRCA Clubhouse Web site (www.hrca.honda.com) and access online to Honda Common Service Manual. For HRCA details, call 1-800-847-HRCA. For dealers only, please call (310) 783-3958.
– Touring Accessories: Removable Saddlebag Liner Set, Saddlebag Scuff Pad Set, Mirror Air-Deflector Set, Fairing Air-Deflector Set, Tank Pad.
– Additional accessories: 12-volt DC Accessory Socket, Heated Grips, Cycle Cover.
Model: ST1300 / ST1300 ABS
Engine Type: 1261cc liquid-cooled longitudinally mounted 90° V-4
Bore and Stroke: 78mm x 66mm
Compression Ratio: 10.8:1
Valve Train: DOHC; four valves per cylinder
Carburetion: PGM-FI with automatic enricher circuit
Ignition: Computer-controlled digital with three-dimensional mapping and electronic advance
Final Drive: Shaft
Front: 45mm HMAS cartridge fork; 4.6 inches travel
Rear: HMAS gas-charged single shock with five-position spring preload adjustability; 4.8 inches travel
Front: Dual full-floating 310mm discs with LBS three-piston calipers
Rear: Single 316mm disc with LBS three-piston caliper
ST1300 ABS: Optional ABS
Wheelbase: 58.7 inches
Rake (Caster Angle): 26.0°
Trail: 98mm (3.9 inches)
Seat Height: 31.1 inches (+/- 0.6 inches)
ST1300: 650 pounds
ST1300 ABS: 659 pounds
Fuel Capacity: 7.7 gallons
Meets 2008 CARB emissions standards.