2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R
Back to 2006 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R
Efficient performance for the everyday rider
The Kawasaki Ninja® 500R offers stable handling and friendly power delivery for new riders, coupled with Ninja styling and willing performance for the more experienced motorcyclist.
Providing excellent fuel economy and an affordable purchase price, the 500R is also a great choice for those who are looking to ease the crunch of soaring gas prices and add some fun to their daily commute.
Expert and beginning riders will appreciate the Ninja 500R’s liquid-cooled, inline twin-cylinder four-stroke engine. With dual overhead cams actuating four valves per cylinder, the snappy motor is user-friendly and inspirational.
Exploring the top end of this engine’s rev range is entertaining for even the most seasoned riders.
The high-performance engine isn’t the only selling point for the Ninja 500R. On twisty back roads, the bike’s lightweight, compact design makes for a great-handling machine. This is complemented by Kawasaki’s UNI-TRAK® rear suspension system, with a progressive linkage similar to the larger-displacement Ninja models.
The Ninja 500R also has the same sporty styling, which contribute to both form and function—the aerodynamic half-fairing provides wind protection for the rider, and is stylishly complemented by a lower fairing.
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. (KMC) markets and distributes Kawasaki motorcycles, ATVs, personal watercraft and utility vehicles through a network of more than 1,500 independent retailers, with an additional 8,400 retailers specializing in power products and general purpose engines. KMC and its affiliates employ nearly 2,400 people in the United States, with more than 450 of them located at the Irvine, California headquarters.
Kawasaki’s tagline, “Let the good times roll.™”, is recognized worldwide and the brand has become synonymous with powerful, stylish motorcycles for over four decades. Information about Kawasaki’s complete line of recreational products and Kawasaki affiliates can be found on the Internet at www.kawasaki.com.
Twin-cylinder 498cc Engine
– Compact parallel-twin design
– Superior engineering produces sport bike power with broad usable torque
– Good mass centralization for superior handling
– Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power during hard use
– Allows closer engine tolerances for more horsepower
– Includes temperature gauge
Auxiliary Cooling Fan
– Maintains optimum temperature for best performance, fuel economy and reliability
Four Valves per Cylinder
– Better breathing for more power at high rpm
– Compact combustion chamber for increased compression ratio without detonation on today’s gasolines
– Boosts low-end torque
– Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow
34mm CVK Semi-flat Slide Carburetors
– Precise fuel metering provides uniform power delivery at all engine speeds
– Quick throttle response
– Microprocessor-controlled timing never needs adjustment
– Ultra-responsive to engine needs
– Provides excellent acceleration and relaxed highway cruising
Positive Neutral Finder
– Just lift the shift pedal from first at a stop to find neutral easily, every time
– A Kawasaki exclusive
Standard Half Fairing
– Offers rider wind protection for more comfort
– Incorporates large, easy-to-read instruments with twin resettable trip meters
– Stylish lower fairing completes the Ninja® image
Double-cradle Steel Box-section Frame
– High-tensile steel perimeter frame
– Lightweight, with superior rigidity for more precise handling and better control
– Centerstand included for convenience
37mm Front Fork
– Large-diameter fork tubes with thin walls for light weight and exceptional rigidity
Front Disc Brake with Dual-piston Caliper
– Disc is drilled for better cooling and reduced unsprung weight
– Dual-piston caliper increases braking effectiveness
Rear Disc Brake
– Powerful and controllable
– Single-piston caliper
Bottom-link UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension
– Lowers the center of gravity for better handling
– Progressive rate provides a smoother, more controlled ride
– Lightweight aluminum components provide quick suspension response
– Wide, modern 17-inch rims fit low-profile, high-performance tires
Centerstand and Sidestand
– Permits easy parking, cleaning or servicing
Engine: Four-stroke, DOHC, parallel twin
Bore x stroke: 74.0 x 58.0mm
Compression ratio: 10.8:1
Carburetion: Keihin CVK34 x 2
Ignition: TCBI with digital advance
Final drive: Chain
Frame: High-tensile steel, perimeter design
Rake / trail: 27 degrees / 3.6 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 37mm hydraulic telescopic fork / 5.1 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: UNI-TRAK® system with single shock / 3.9 in.
Front tire: 11/70×17 tubeless
Rear tire: 130/70×17 tubeless
Front brake / rear brake: Hydraulic disc / Disc
Overall length: 82.5 in.
Overall width: 27.6 in.
Overall height: 45.7 in.
Ground clearance: 4.7 in.
Seat height: 30.5 in.
Dry weight: 388 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 4.8 gal.
Wheelbase: 56.5 in.
Color: Metallic Titanium or Solar Yellow