2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R
Back to 2006 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R
2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R
KAWASAKI’S 2006 NINJA® ZX™-10R: A LESSON THAT PROVES THE BEST CAN ALWAYS BE BETTER
Engineers and designers pull out all of the stops in keeping this award winner at the top of the class.
Few would have thought Kawasaki engineers would tamper with the success enjoyed by its NINJA® ZX™-10R sportbike over the past two years. Having been named by Cycle World as the Best Superbike of both 2004 and 2005, it would have been easily accepted by the most hardcore of racetrack motorcyclists if Kawasaki had simply rested on its laurels. But, in a move intended to show the brand’s very serious and ongoing commitment to building the most potent motorcycles available, Kawasaki has taken it up another notch with the introduction of this latest version of the NINJA ZX-10R.
Designed for the rider who feels at home in racing leathers, the new liter-class Kawasaki is being brought to market with a complete engine, chassis and aerodynamic makeover, maintaining its top-of-class dominance, whether on the street or racetrack.
It features all new power characteristics, highlighted by a new fuel injection system featuring ultra-fine atomizing injectors to work with the 43mm throttle bodies and dual throttle valves. Providing a noticeable boost in mid-range power, the new ZX-10R’s power delivery is also more linear, and its off-corner acceleration capability will satisfy the most demanding of riders. Also contributing to the smoother power delivery is the addition of a heavier flywheel, and high-speed generator moved to the end of the crankshaft. Shifting gears while handling the bike’s awesome power output is simplified by improvements to the shift linkage, resulting in smooth, almost effortless transitions.
By repositioning the ZX-10R’s center of gravity, Kawasaki engineers have bettered an already superb handling motorcycle. The new frame also features revised stiffness balance, new motor mounts, more centralized mass, and a relocated swingarm pivot, coupled with a racing-spec Ã–hlins steering damper. All told, a track-ready handler that is destined to surprise all who put it through its paces.
Combining a short wheelbase with a long swingarm gives the ZX-10R the type of track maneuverability that speaks to its nimble, yet stable handling performance. And even more to the liking of experienced racers, the tucked-in position made so comfortable by the NINJA’s concave tank top and the relationship between pegs, handlebar, and seat, only magnifies its appropriateness for the track.
How to package all of this potency into a look that yells—virtually screams—aggressive race-readiness was a question Kawasaki’s design team approached seriously.
Aerodynamic performance quickly became the key to their search for a style befitting this new ZX-10R. Possessing an abundance of power, handling, and performance characteristics, the “look” of the motorcycle need only compliment its core consumer values. The designers focused on a no-frills approach to delivering an experience that significantly improves aerodynamics with a new fairing, seat cowl, and dual under-seat exhaust system. While the most noticeable effect of this new look is found at the high end of the speedometer, it succeeds in appearing fast, even when sitting still.
– Incredible Power-to-Weight Ratio
– Race-Oriented Performance
– Track-Tuned Handling
– Aggressive New Aerodynamic Styling
998cc 4-Cylinder, DOHC Engine
– Very compact, narrow and lightweight design.
– The upper crankcase and cylinder are a one-piece casting, which is more than two pounds lighter than using a separate cylinder and offers increased rigidity. A slanted casting process rotates the piece during casting to eliminate imperfections and excess casting material.
– Channels in the case mounting surfaces route oil to various parts of the engine, eliminating oil lines and saving weight.
– Crank axis, input shaft and output shaft create a stacked triangular layout that is compact, reduces engine length and lowers the center of gravity.
– Specially-shaped breathing passageways between the chrome composite plated aluminum cylinders reduce pumping loss to help increase power.
– A high-efficiency, liquid-cooled aluminum oil cooler uses specially designed internal fins to dissipate heat and cool the oil.
4-Valve Cylinder Head(KP)
– Compact valve train reduces cylinder head height.
– Intake ports and coolant passages developed using flow analysis for efficient cylinder filling and more power, and maximum cooling efficiency.
– Camshafts are carved from forged chromoly billet, which is more than one-half pound lighter than cast cams. The cams and tappets are treated with soft nitriding to prevent galling and seizing with the aggressive, high lift profiles.
– Single valve springs with oval cross sections are light and lower to reduce overall cylinder head height.
– Forged sintered aluminum spring retainers are half the weight of steel retainers and allow higher rpm.
– Forged Pistons(KP) are lighter, stronger and more heat resistant than cast versions. Flat-top design matches the compact combustion chamber and improves combustion efficiency.
Ram Air Induction(KP)
– Central ram air duct produces a straighter path to the airbox for maximum intake efficiency and provides the mounting surface for the instrument panel, eliminating brackets and weight.
– Flow analysis used to design efficient ducts to the airbox that also prevent water from reaching the air filter.
– Compact airbox and air cleaner are highly efficient and contribute to the compact riding position.
– High speed 32-bit ECU provides precise engine management.
TCBI Ignition with Digital Advance(KP)
– High-speed processor provides precise engine management.
– Spark plug-mounted ignition coils are compact and help reduce weight.
Titanium Exhaust With Butterfly Valve
– All-titanium exhaust provides the ultimate in light weight.
– Butterfly valve, located before the exhaust splits to the mufflers, is controlled by rpm, throttle position and gear position to improve low-end response and help smooth overall power. Optimum exhaust tuning is attained at all engine speeds to prevent blowback that can occur with high speed overlapping valve timing.
– The splines on the transmission shafts are barrel ground so the gears slide smoothly for improved shift action.
– Close ratio transmission increases circuit performance.
– A back-torque limiting clutch(KP) automatically disengages the clutch under hard braking and deceleration to prevent rear wheel hop during corner entry. Optional springs, spring retainers and shims are available to fine-tune the clutch for specific conditions.
Aluminum Twin Spar Backbone Frame
– Combination of pressed and cast aluminum components are welded to form the twin-spar backbone-type frame. By combining cast and pressed pieces frame weight is kept to a minimum while still providing high strength and stability with responsive handling.
– Twin-spar backbone design provides 600cc class width.
Uni-Track® Rear Suspension(KP)
– Short, compact frame allows the swingarm to be longer, which makes it easier to control rear wheel powerslides.
– Rear shock is fully adjustable for preload, compression and rebound damping. Ride height can be adjusted by adding /removing optional 1mm shims at the upper shock mount.
– Equipped with top-out spring that allows the rear wheel to better follow the road surface when the rear end is light due to hard braking.
– Small piggyback shock reservoir is designed to save weight.
43mm Inverted Cartridge Front Fork(KP)
– Kayaba 43mm inverted cartridge fork provides exceptional rigidity.
– Equipped with top-out springs which allow the front wheel to better follow the road surface when the front end is light due to hard acceleration.
– Stiff settings suitable for track use.
– Fully adjustable for preload, compression and rebound damping.
– Six-spoke cast aluminum wheels are practically as light as race-specific wheels. The six-spoke design requires much less material between spokes so that rim thickness is thinner and lighter.
Radial Mounted Front Disc Brakes
– Radial mounted 4-piston front brake calipers. Instead of mounting the calipers with threaded tabs cast near the top of the caliper, the radial design utilizes integrated mounting points at both the top and bottom of the caliper, with the mounting bolts inserted through the rear of the caliper instead of the side/front. This makes the caliper more rigid, which improves brake feel over a wider range of operation.
– A separate brake pad is used for each piston. One large pad tends to deform with the heat generated by hard track style riding, resulting in a loss of brake feel at the lever. Individual pads provide increased cooling efficiency and can absorb more heat without deforming so they maintain consistent brake feel lap after lap.
Petal Design Brake Discs
– Improved cooling and warp resistance.
– First petal-type discs to come standard on a supersport machine.
– The fuel tank has a unique concave top that allows the rider to tuck in further and improve aerodynamics.
– Three-piece front fender designed for aero efficiency.
– Different color panels create a sporty, aggressive image.
Advanced Electronic Instrumentation
– Multifunction odometer, tripmeter, clock and lap timer/stopwatch.
Engine Type: 4-Stroke, 4-Cylinder, Liquid-Cooled, DOHC, 4 Valve Cylinder Head
Displacement: 998 cc
Bore & Stroke 76.0 x 55.0 mm
Maximum Torque: N/A
Compression Ratio: 12.7:1
Fuel Injection: DFI with Mikuni 43mm Throttle Bodies (4)
Ignition: TCBI with Digital Advance
Final Drive: X-Ring Chain
Front Wheel Travel: N/A
Rear Wheel Travel: N/A
Front Tire Size: 120/70 ZR17
Rear Tire Size: 190/55 ZR17
Front Suspension: 43mm Inverted Cartridge Fork with Adjustable
Preload, Stepless Rebound and Compression Damping
Rear Suspension: Uni-Trak with Adjustable Preload, Stepless
Rebound and Compression Damping, Ride Height
Front Brake Type: Dual Floating 300mm Petal Discs with
4-Piston Radial-Mount Calipers
Rear Brake Type: Single 220mm Petal Disc
Fuel Tank Capacity: N/A
Seat Height: N/A
Dry Weight: N/A
Color: Lime Green/Flat Sonic Black, Ebony, Pearl Solar Yellow
Warranty: 12 months
Good Times Protection Plan: 24, 36 or 48 months
** Price and specifications subject to change