2008 Honda CRF450R
Back to 2008 Honda Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge for detail.
They make great desktop images.
– 2008 Honda CRF450R
2008 Honda CRF450R
Honda’s championship-winning CRF450R continues as one of the most versatile motorcycles in the world, earning Cycle World magazine’s “Ten Best” status six years in a row.
The Honda CRF450R has been significantly upgraded for 2008 for better handling, power delivery and durability — all with no increase in weight. Tucked neatly behind the number plate you’ll find the adjustable and rebuildable Honda Progressive Steering Damper, which improves stability and cornering traction while also allowing engineers to shorten steering offset and wheelbase for sharper handling. A new three-map ignition system, a lighter CDI, a new surface treatment on the works-type clutch, and a new header pipe, all combine to get you to the checkered flag quicker.
The experts are pretty much unanimous in hailing the CRF450R as the best MXer in its class. Holding that advantage, however, demands constant improvement, and the 2008 CRF450R is sharper than ever, with all-new works-style brake rotors, retooled frame geometry, and the revolutionary new Honda Progressive Steering Damper (HPSD). The gauntlet has been thrown. Again.
Features & Benefits
New for 2008
– New tapered exhaust head pipe improves low-end and midrange power.
– New lighter counterbalancer shaft and drive gears.
– New works-type multi-map CDI system uses a transmission gear-position sensor to provide specific ignition maps for First gear, Second gear and Third through Fifth and produce the optimum power curve in each gear.
– Rev limit of 11,270 rpm has increased 50 rpm.
– Friction-reducing coating on the clutch basket, clutch center and pressure plate improve clutch life and clutch feel.
– New Honda Progressive Steering Damper (HPSD). Developed by Team Honda, this lightweight, compact steering damper improves cornering ability and reduces rider fatigue.
– New fork triple clamps with 22mm offset for improved cornering.
– New Showa fork features a larger cartridge rod and new cartridge oil piston for improved oil flow and less friction, plus stiffer springs for improved mid-stroke action.
– New rear shock valving matches changes to the fork.
– New works-style front and rear brake discs reduce unsprung weight.
– New Black color (2008 special color†).
– Powerful engine churns out 55 bhp at 9000 rpm and 36.9 lb./ft. of torque at 6500 rpm. Power is produced across a wide rpm band for easy-to-control operation.
– Liquid-cooled four-valve Unicam® 449cc engine produces more than 120 hp per liter (see Technology Section).
– Lightweight titanium intake valves permit use of smaller valve springs and reduce overall engine height.
– Forged slipper piston is more than 4.5 ounces lighter than a conventional design.
– Lightweight Nikasil cylinder lining provides cooler and quieter operation for extended engine life.
– Auto decompression and hot restart system make starting easy in all conditions.
– 41mm FCR carburetor features four rollers on the flat slide, resulting in light throttle effort, smooth operation, crisp throttle response and excellent rideability.
– The capacitive discharge ignition system (CDI) features an 8-bit digital CPU for extremely accurate ignition and maximum performance.
– Twin-sump lubrication system separates the oil supply for the crankshaft, piston and valve train from the clutch and transmission. This ensures a cool supply of oil to the clutch, eliminates clutch and transmission material contamination of the engine oil and reduces the amount of circulating oil and minimizes oil pump size.
– Exhaust system features a titanium header and heat shield. The repackable silencer is aluminum with a stainless steel connector pipe.
– Gear-driven balancer reduces vibration and drives the water pump.
– Eight clutch plates provide the surface area necessary to handle the engine’s massive torque, while carefully matched clutch springs provide a light feel at the lever.
– Fourth-generation Twin-Spar Aluminum Frame with forged-aluminum steering head (see Technology Section),
– HPSD features a compact damper attached to the lower triple clamp and the steering head to allow more aggressive steering characteristics and assist straight-line handling. Damping action smoothly progresses as handlebar deflection increases, which produces very natural steering characteristics and feel.
– Front and rear wheels feature HRC works-type lightweight aluminum spoke nipples.
– Front wheel features large-diameter front axle and wide wheel-bearing span for excellent rigidity.
– Rear axle diameter of 25mm and large-diameter bearings provide significant rigidity to withstand torturous track conditions.
– Revised, sophisticated Inverted Twin-Chamber Cartridge Fork (see Technology Section).
– Pro-Link Rear Suspension (see Technology Section) with new damper settings.
– Large 50mm rear shock damper piston diameter for consistent performance under demanding riding conditions.
– HRC works-style rear brake system integrates the rear master-cylinder and fluid reservoir, eliminating the separate reservoir and hose.
– Link-type front brake master cylinder and a lightweight brake rotor provide strong braking.
– Large works-style 240mm front and rear disc brake rotors.
– Frame design allows sidecovers to have larger air-intake ducts, contributing to significant airflow increase in the mid- and upper-rpm ranges.
– Rider ergonomics are optimized by adapting the handlebar, seat and footpeg height to place the rider’s legs at the narrowest part of the frame for improved comfort and handling feel.
– Brake pedal and shift lever are designed to complement the riding position.
– Brake pedal features optimized ratio to match integrated rear-brake master-cylinder design.
– Wide, cleated stainless steel footpegs are self-cleaning and corrosion resistant, provide excellent grip and fold for extra ground clearance.
– Rear brake pedal and shift lever are made of lightweight aluminum.
– Adjustable front brake lever for maximum control.
– Quick-adjust clutch perch for easy cable adjustment.
– Aluminum Renthal handlebar (971 bend) is rubber-mounted to help reduce rider fatigue and improve comfort.
– Handlebar holders provide two different mounting positions to match rider preference.
– Works-type handlebar grips add to rider comfort.
– Dunlop 742FA front and 756 rear tires for improved traction and cornering.
– Front disc brake cover helps protect rotor and caliper from damage.
– Removable rear subframe allows easy maintenance.
– Washable, two-stage foam air filter for optimal engine protection and easy maintenance.
– Repackable silencer for maximum performance and minimal noise.
– Comfortable, durable controls and high-quality fasteners.
– Stainless steel clutch cable for long life.
– Honda Racing™-inspired colors and graphics.
– Purchase of a new, previously unregistered Honda USA-certified unit by an individual retail user in the United States qualifies the owner for a one-year complimentary membership in the Honda Rider’s Club of America® (HRCA®). Visit www.hrca.honda.com for details.
Model: 2008 CRF450R
Engine Type: 449cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
Bore and Stroke: 96mm x 62.1mm
Compression Ratio: 12.0:1
Valve Train: Unicam, four-valve; 36mm intake, titanium; 30mm exhaust, steel
Induction: Carburetor, Keihin 41mm flat slide
Ignition: CD with three-gear-position electronic advance
Transmission: Close-ratio five-speed
Final Drive: #520 chain; 13T/48T
Front: 47mm inverted Showa cartridge fork with 16-position rebound and 16-position compression damping adjustability; 12.4 inches travel
Rear: Pro-Link Showa single shock with spring preload, 17-position rebound damping adjustability, and compression damping adjustment separated into low-speed (13 positions) and high-speed (3.5 turns); 12.5 inches travel
Front: Single 240mm disc with twin-piston caliper
Rear: Single 240mm disc
Wheelbase: 58.6 inches
Rake (Caster Angle): 26.76
Trail: 111.4 mm (4.3 inches)
Seat Height: 37.6 inches
Ground Clearance: 13.4 inches
Fuel Capacity: 1.9 gallons
Colors: Red, Black (2008 special color†)
Curb Weight*: 238 pounds
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel-ready to ride
†Limited color run, less than 500
Consult owner’s manual for optional racing parts.
MSRP: $8,499 CDN
Engine Type Liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
Displacement 449 cc
Bore & Stroke 96 mm x 62.1 mm
Compression Ratio 12:1
Valve Train Unicam, four-valve
Fuel Delivery Keihin 41mm flat-slide carb
Transmission Close-ratio five-speed
Final Drive #520 chain; 13T/48T
Front Suspension 47 mm inverted Showa cartridge fork with 16-position rebound and 16-position compression damping adjustability; 315 mm (12.4 in.) travel
Rear Suspension Pro-Link Showa single shock with spring preload, 17-position rebound damping adjustability, and compression damping adjustability separated into low-speed (13 positions) and high-speed (3.5 turns); 317 mm (12.5 inches) travel
Tires 80/100 – 21 front; 110/90 – 19 rear
Brakes Front 240 mm disc with twin-piston caliper; rear 240 mm disc
Ground Clearance 340 mm (13.4 inches)
Seat Height 955 mm (37.6 inches)
Wheelbase 1,488mm (58.6 inches)
Dry Weight 108 kg (238 pounds) including required fluids and full tank of gas – ready to ride
Fuel Capacity 7.2 litres
Colour Extreme Red
Specifications and features are subject to change