2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
Back to 2008 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge for detail.
They make great desktop images.
– 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
KAWASAKI VULCAN® 900 CLASSIC: ANSWERING YOUR NEEDS AND DESIRES IN A CRUISER
Heavyweight style with middleweight sensibility
Featuring clean lines and an uncluttered look, the Vulcan® 900 Classic is ideal for cruising purists. The well balanced mid-size cruiser offers riders the look and feel of the larger V-twins, without the hefty size and price. With styling cues from its biggest sibling, the Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic, the 900 Classic is a sure winner in the mid-size category. Entry-level riders and those seeking something more nimble that the large-displacement machines will enjoy this stylish mid-size machine.
Its 903cc engine delivers exceptional roll-on acceleration and lets the Vulcan 900 family claim the highest power and torque in the mid-size cruiser class. Not only can the 900 Classic fit in with many larger cruisers thanks to its big-bike style and physical presence, but do so while offering a better value, easier maneuverability, and better performance than the rest of the crowd.
Matching the performance of the Vulcan 900 power plant is a chassis with plenty of charisma and class-leading ergonomics. Graceful fenders and fuel tank give it the classic cruiser curves while the polished chrome-accented air cleaner and chrome headlight design accent those cruiser roots. Subtle matte black touches enhance a mechanical package that’s topped off by the stylish modern flair emanating from its bodywork, taillight, and low-slung seat height.
The eye pleasure continues with curved engine fins adding to the traditional look of the big, fuel-injected V-twin, that features four valves per cylinder, liquid-cooled reliability, and a vibration nulling engine counter-balancer.
A belt drive on the Vulcan 900 keeps the overall weight down, improves rear-end styling and provides the rider with additional customizing opportunities. Allowing the Vulcan 900 evoke the feel of a much larger motorcycle is a beefy rear tire, the largest in its class, and a single-pin crankshaft which helps produce that distinctive guttural, classic V-twin sound.
The Vulcan 900’s look and feel doesn’t exclude any rider. Its low seat height and tapered seat that flows comfortably into the large capacity fuel tank and lower chassis rails provides a narrowed shape and an effortless reach to the pavement –ideal for shorter riders. The front bucket seat is comfortable enough for any distance, and the rear pillion pad makes it effortless to share the two-wheeled experience.
At home, around town or on the open road, this motorcycle is built for hour upon hour of riding pleasure. The wide handlebars, seat and floorboards offer an ideal ergonomic relationship, making for a relaxing mount.
Some of the other features that make the Vulcan 900 appealing to such a wide audience are a fork offset and rake designed for light, effortless maneuvering at low, in-town speeds. Similar to the Vulcan 2000, the 900 is equipped with an auto-fast idle system that uses an rpm feedback relay to help ensure a fixed engine speed in all starting conditions. Its easy-to-control fuel-injection makes ultra-low speed riding surprisingly easy, while abundant low-rpm torque provides thrilling roll-on acceleration.
Available in three color selections—Metallic Diablo Black, Luminous Polaris Blue, and Metallic Imperial Red—the Vulcan 900 Classic offers stylish aesthetics in a platform that’s perfect for customization with Kawasaki accessories.
– 903cc V-twin SOHC engine tuned to deliver healthy dose of torque at low rpm
– Smooth and reliable
– Gear-driven balancer allows use of single pin crankshaft without heavy vibration
Four-valve Cylinder Head
– Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow more power and low-end torque
– Single overhead cam design is simple, lightweight and practical
– Extremely efficient intake tracts feature ports that narrow near the combustion chamber to increase intake flow speed for more efficient filling and increased torque
– Long intake tracts for great low-end response
Liquid and Air Cooling
– Exceptional thermal control with finned cylinders and head and liquid cooling combination
– Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power
– Automatic fan keeps things cool even in traffic
– Includes temperature warning light
Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner
– Maintains precise valve timing with maintenance
– Assures greater reliability
– Hidden from view to preserve the engine’s clean, basic look
Dual Slash-Cut Mufflers
– Big slash-cut mufflers look great and contain honeycomb catalyzers to reduce emissions
Positive Neutral Finder
– Just lift the shift pedal from first gear at a stop to find neutral easy, every time
Electronic Fuel Injection
– Dual throttle bodies with sub throttles provide optimum performance and rideability
– The sub throttles, located behind the main throttle valve, are controlled by the ECU so that the DFI system retains more precise throttle response, similar to a constant velocity carburetor
– Fine-atomizing fuel injectors produce a fine fuel mist for better acceleration, combustion and fuel consumption
– Lower unsprung weight than shaft drive to improve ride quality and suspension action
– More efficient so more power reaches the rear wheel
– Low maintenance and low noise
Double Cradle Frame
– Very rigid large-diameter box section backbone allows a larger fuel tank, and helps contribute to high stability and lightweight handling at low speeds
– Triangular swingarm looks like a hardtail design, but acts on a single shock hidden beneath the seat
– Long and low for minimal seat height, maximum visual impact
– Fork offset and frame geometry combine for light, low-effort handling at ultra-low speeds
– Long wheelbase contributes to highway stability
Low Stepped Seat
– Ultra-low 26.8-inch seat height allows riders to easily plant both feet on the ground at stops
– Laid-back riding comfort for two
Tank-Mounted Speedometer with Turn Signal Indicators and Caution Lamps
– Gives you the information you need at-a-glance
– Compact design complements the bike’s clean look
41mm Front Fork
– Excellent rigidity and 5.9 inches of travel
– 32 degrees rake angle for excellent straight line ability
– Wide fork pitch for classic look
Front and Rear Disc Brakes
– A 272mm front and 242mm rear disc have twin-piston calipers for some of the best stopping power in the class
Custom Spoke Wheels
– Chromed steel rims and spokes
– “Spool-style” polished aluminum front hub
Wide Rear Tire
– 180mm rear tire provides added stability while projecting a powerful image
– Wider tire than that found on most large-displacement cruisers
SPECIFICATIONS USA – 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic:
Engine: 4-Stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, four-valve per cylinder, V-twin
Displacement: 903cc / 55.1 cu.in.
Bore x Stroke: 88.0 x 74.2mm
Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
Maximum Torque: 60.8 lb.-ft. @ 3,700 rpm
Fuel Injection: EFI with dual 34mm Keihin throttle bodies
Ignition: TCBI with electronic advance
Final drive: Belt
Frame: Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel
Rake / Trail: 32 degrees / 6.3 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 41mm hydraulic telescopic fork / 5.9 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: Uni-TrakÃ‚® swingarm / 4.1 in.
Front tire: 130/90×16
Rear tire: 180/70×15
Front brake / rear brake: 272mm hydraulic disc / 242mm hydraulic disc
Overall length: 97.0 in.
Overall width: 39.6 in.
Overall height: 41.9 in.
Seat height: 26.8 in.
Dry weight: 557.9 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 5.3 gal.
Wheelbase: 64.8 in.
Color choices: Metallic Diablo Black
Luminous Polaris Blue
Metallic Imperial Red
Warranty: 12 months
SPECIFICATIONS Canada – 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic:
Specifications and features are subject to change