2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Back to 2008 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge for detail.
They make great desktop images.
– 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
KAWASAKI VULCAN® 900 CUSTOM OFFERS CLEAN STYLING AND A SLENDER 21” FRONT WHEEL
The one with the attitude in the Vulcan 900 family
A motorcycle should make its owner proud, whether cruising through town or simply parked at one of the many motorcycling hangouts throughout the country. With the Kawasaki Vulcan® 900 Custom, cruising riders get the seamless blend of comfort, big bike feel, and customized appearance.
The Vulcan 900 Custom is the crown jewel in Kawasaki’s mid-size cruiser family. This chrome-laden cruiser is more than just good looking. Like its 903cc siblings, the 900 Custom’s big-bike feel is generated by a powerplant that pulls cleanly around town and boasts exceptional roll-on acceleration that matches the get-up-and-go of much larger motorcycles.
What really separates the Custom from the crowd is a unique design. To pull this off, Kawasaki engineers and designers concentrated on delivering a motorcycle that provides customized appearances usually reserved for expensive two-wheel offerings. A massive rear tire, light-looking front end highlighted by a thin 21-inch cast wheel, and sculpted bodywork highlight the features of the Vulcan 900 Custom.
Perhaps one of the most striking examples of Kawasaki’s determination to provide this Vulcan cruiser with a distinctive look to match its “custom” designation are the spokes of its large diameter 21-inch front cast wheel –itself somewhat rare in the custom-building world . Arranged in pairs, the spokes were hand-designed for a special visual appeal.
Complimenting the lightweight trimmed-down look of the front wheel is a low, wide rear, featuring a 15-inch cast wheel and 180mm tire to give the rider the feeling of sitting on a motorcycle made for him (or her) alone. Crafted to highlight elegance as much as its gutsy, fuel-injected V-Twin power, the Vulcan 900 Custom is sure to have a broad appeal.
Employing its own version of design minimalism, Kawasaki has produced a cruiser that is just enough of everything that is right. Even the visual contrast of the front and rear wheels is heightened by the simplicity and subtlety of the fuel tank. Its carefully molded and delicately curved shape brings a visual connection that literally ties together the highly customized approach of the Vulcan 900 Custom.
Whether moving at highway speeds towards a midnight getaway, or tooling through local streets on the way to work, the Vulcan 900 Custom’s light, sporty handling will keep it at the front of the pack in the eyes of knowledgeable motorcyclists. Excellent stability, good power, easy maneuverability, and startling attractiveness make this new Kawasaki one to own.
Available in three color selections, the 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom offers stylish aesthetics in a platform that’s perfect for customization with Kawasaki accessories.
– 903cc V-twin SOHC engine tuned to deliver healthy dose of torque at low rpm
– Smooth and reliable
– Gear-driven balancer allows use of single pin crankshaft without heavy vibration
– Rubber-mounted to eliminate engine vibration at all speeds
Four-valve Cylinder Head
– Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow more power and low-end torque
– Single overhead cam design is simple, lightweight and practical
– Extremely efficient intake tracts feature ports that narrow near the combustion chamber to increase intake flow speed for more efficient filling and increased torque
– Long intake tracts for great low-end response
Liquid and Air Cooling
– Exceptional thermal control with finned cylinders and head and liquid cooling combination
– Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power
– Automatic fan helps keep things cool
– Includes temperature warning light
Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner
– Maintains precise valve timing with maintenance
– Assures greater reliability
– Hidden from view to preserve the engine’s clean, basic look
Dual Slash-Cut Mufflers
– Big slash-cut mufflers look great and contain honeycomb catalyzers to reduce emissions
Positive Neutral Finder
– Just lift the shift pedal from first gear at a stop to find neutral easy, every time
Electronic Fuel Injection
– Dual throttle bodies with sub throttles provide optimum performance and rideability
– The sub throttles, located behind the main throttle valve, are controlled by the ECU so that the DFI® system retains more precise throttle response, similar to a constant velocity carburetor
– Fine-atomizing fuel injectors produce a fine fuel mist for better acceleration, combustion and fuel consumption
– Lower unsprung weight than shaft drive to improve ride quality and suspension action
– More efficient so more power reaches the rear wheel
– Low maintenance and low noise
Double Cradle Frame
– Very rigid large-diameter box section backbone allows a larger fuel tank, and helps contribute to high stability and lightweight handling at low speeds
– Triangular swingarm looks like a hardtail design, but acts on a single shock hidden beneath the seat
– Long and low for minimal seat height, maximum visual impact
– Fork offset and frame geometry combine for light, low-effort handling at ultra-low speeds
– Long wheelbase contributes to highway stability
41mm Front Fork
– Excellent rigidity and 5.9 inches of travel
– 33 degrees rake and 7.2 in. of trail for excellent straight line stability
– Wide fork pitch for classic look
Front and Rear Disc Brakes
– A 300mm front and 270mm rear disc have twin-piston calipers for some of the best stopping power in the class
Custom Cast 21 in. Front Wheel
– Arranged in pairs, the wheel’s 18 “spokes” were designed by hand
– Tapered and flanged in two directions, every line and surface of each 3-D spoke is exquisitely curved
Wide Rear Tire
– 180mm rear tire provides added stability while projecting a powerful image
– Wider tire than that found on most large-displacement cruisers
– Custom cast 15” rear wheel contrasts the “light,” tall front wheel
Tank-Mounted Speedometer with Turn Signal Indicators and Caution Lamps
– Gives you the information you need at-a-glance
– Compact design complements the bike’s clean look
– Fuel tank features a twin valley design, with a dynamic tension and presence all its own
– Composed exclusively of curves with constantly varying radii, the twin valley design theme continues in the rear fender and its hand-sculpted contours are designed to be pleasing to both the eye and to the touch
– Bottom of the rear fender features a relatively straight cut, to balance the lines of the motorcycle
– Clean headlight design is small and isolated without a central fork cover or headlamp bar
– Chromed headlamp, headlamp mount, lower triple clamp and turn signals as well as footpegs, shift lever and rear brake lever
– Small, minimalist fender and lack of front fork covers also contribute to the slender appearance of the front end
– Sporty, straight-style handlebar adds to the bike’s custom styling. Instead of handlebar clamps, twin tubes elegantly curve back from the upper triple clamp. Both the handlebar and twin tubes are completely chromed
– One-piece “gunfighter” style seat is designed for comfortable rider and passenger accommodation and a custom-style look
– Chromed forward-mount footpegs instead of floorboards add to the custom image and improve rider control
– Matte black frame emphasizes the chrome finishing
– Standard toe-operated shift lever instead of a heel-toe shifter
SPECIFICATIONS USA – 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom:
Engine: 4-Stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, four-valve per cylinder, V-twin
Bore x Stroke: 88.0 x 74.2mm
Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
Maximum Torque: 60.5 lb.-ft. @ 3,500 rpm
Fuel Injection: EFI with 34mm Keihin throttle bodies (2)
Ignition: TCBI with electronic advance
Final drive: Belt
Frame: Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel
Rake / Trail: 33 degrees / 7.2 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 41mm hydraulic telescopic fork / 5.9 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: Uni-TrakÃ‚® swingarm, seven-way adjustable spring preload / 4.1 in.
Front tire: 80/90×21
Rear tire: 180/70×15
Front brake / rear brake: 300mm hydraulic disc / 270mm hydraulic disc
Overall length: 94.7 in.
Overall width: 35.2 in.
Overall height: 44.1 in.
Seat height: 27.0 in.
Dry weight: 549 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 5.3 gal.
Wheelbase: 64.8 in.
Color choices: Metallic Diablo Black
Candy Lime Green
Warranty: 12 months
SPECIFICATIONS Canada – 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom:
Specifications and features are subject to change