2009 Kawasaki Mule 600
Back to 2009 Kawasaki ATV Quad Models Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2009 Kawasaki Mule 600
2009 Kawasaki Mule 600
Reliable and powerful worker keeps productivity up and operating costs down
Easily finding a home in any farm, ranch or industrial environment, the two-wheel-drive Kawasaki Mule™ 600 utility vehicle is equally adept in a recreation role in the great outdoors. Two people can get the job done or enjoy the fun—at a price less than many ATVs. This unique versatility has popularized Kawasaki’s entry-level utility model while simplifying the transport of the Mule 600 with its ability to fit in the back of a full-size pickup truck.
The Mule 600 features a single-cylinder engine mated to a continuously variable transmission (CVT), a dual-mode rear differential, independent front suspension, unit swing-axle rear suspension and hydraulic brakes.
A spacious cab with curved body panels and a large-diameter steel tube frame structure—that meets ROPS requirements—presents a clean, modern look, with automotive-type controls and a gear selector within easy reach on the dashboard. Comfort features include two large cup holders, a passenger-side glove box and grab handle, and more storage space located beneath the hood.
As is the case for many utility vehicle owners, the engine is one of the enticing features of the Mule 600. The durable air-cooled, single-cylinder 401cc four-stroke engine utilizes a cooling fan to help maintain an ideal operating temperature. In this new 2009 model, the flap in the rear left tire housing was widened slightly to minimize mud entering the engine area.
Equally important, the engine starts easily thanks to an enrichening system that partially opens the throttle during ignition and can be started in forward or reverse gear, provided the brakes are applied.
Kawasaki’s Mule 600 transfers its power to the ground through a CVT, equipped with durable materials and a long-lasting drive belt. This unit utilizes a dependable, low-maintenance shaft drive and a dual-mode differential, which can be locked to maximize traction on adverse terrain.
The Mule 600 rides on a MacPherson strut suspension up front, and unit swing-axle handles the rear suspension duties. Large 22-inch tires enhance the ride quality further and sealed, hydraulic drum brakes at all four wheels provide ample stopping power.
Increasing its work versatility are bright 35w headlights and the 400-pound capable tilting cargo bed, which features tailgate latches that are easy to fasten quickly and securely. The Mule 600 can tow up to 1,100 pounds with an optional Kawasaki draw bar. Popular accessories include an enclosed cab, snow plow, winch, and soft or hard tops. These and many other Authentic Kawasaki Accessories are available through Kawasaki dealers.
Features and Benefits:
At a glance…
– Best compact off-road utility vehicle
– Easy to use, with low operating costs
– Can be easily transported in the back of a full-size pickup truck
– Can tow up to 1,100 lbs. with optional Kawasaki draw bar
Fan-Cooled, Single-Cylinder Engine
– Simple, lightweight, durable, and quiet 401cc four-stroke engine
– Modern 4-stroke overhead valve design for efficient running and good fuel economy
– Fan cooling helps the engine maintain an ideal operating temperature
– Choke opens throttle during starting so accelerator pedal does not need to be depressed
– Can be started in gear by depressing brake pedal
Gear Driven Engine Balancer
– Balanced weight opposite the piston cuts vibration dramatically and minimizes noise and wear
– Maximizes operator comfort, and diminishes fatigue
Environmentally Friendly Emissions
– Carburetor settings cut exhaust emissions
– Positive crankcase ventilation system recycles blow-by gasses to the intake tract to be burned in the engine
– Muffler has USFS-approved spark arrestor
– California models have a check valve on the fuel tank to charcoal canister connector hose for preventing gasoline from entering the canister when operating on inclines or over rough terrain
Kawasaki Automatic Power-Drive System (KAPS)
– Simple and lightweight CVT is fully automatic and keeps engine speed in most efficient range for any vehicle speed, load, or terrain
– An open-sided drive pulley cools better for longer belt life.
– Belt deflection can easily be adjusted by changing shim thickness of the adjuster bolt located on the outside of the driven converter
– Cooling air flows in from a vent in the cab frame through a special air filter, which keeps out water and dust for increased belt life
– Long wearing double cog CVT belt
– Locked mode for maximum traction in difficult conditions
– Unlocked mode decreases turning radius and minimizes ground disturbance – great for use on grass.
Rack and Pinion Steering
– Rack-and-pinion steering helps to keep steering light and accurate, which makes maneuvering in tight working quarters a snap
– Durable, simple and easy to maintain
MacPherson Strut Independent Front Suspension
– Comfortable ride and excellent load-carrying capability
– Simple, rugged single A-arm design offers tight turning radius for extra maneuverability
Unit Swingarm Rear Suspension
– Unique design places engine and rear wheels on a sub-frame with a mid-point pivot
– Isolates vibration
– Can handle heavy loads, yet provides comfortable ride with an empty cargo bed
– Special tread pattern and 22-inch tires enhance off-road traction, ride quality and reduce tire wear
– Self-Adjusting, Hydraulic drum brakes at all four wheels provide ample stopping power
– Front grille includes space for mounting a 3000-pound capacity winch
– Compact, lightweight, and easy to transport to the job, easily fitting in the bed of a full-sized pickup
– Bench seat is spacious and comfortable for two
– Durable plastic body panels resist dents and color is molded in for long lasting good looks
– Meets federal Roll Over Protective Structure (ROPS) requirements for wheeled tractors under SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.4, and 7.5, and also meets FMVSS 216 roof crush resistance requirement
– Two Seat Belts
– Speed limited to 25 mph
– Large storage tub under the hood with four D-rings to secure the load
– Passenger side glove box
– Cup holders located at each side of the front hood by the dash
Tilting Cargo Bed
– Steel cargo bed can carry up to 400 pounds and tilts for quick unloading
– Thick tailgate panel and secure latching tailgate locking pins reduce vibration and noise, and adds durability
– Crankcase oil level dipstick
– Dual element air cleaner
– CVT cover has a convenient drain plug
– Automotive style dash designed for ease of use with easy reach controls
– Standard equipment hour meter makes maintenance intervals easy to track
– Fuel gauge
– Oil temperature warning light
– Gear selector for Forward, Neutral, and Reverse
– Differential locking lever
– Convenient parking brake
– Headlight switch for powerful and stylish 35w headlights
Popular Accessory Items
– Soft or Hard Top
– Enclosed Cab
– Snow Plow
2009 Kawasaki Mule 600 – USA Specifications
American MSRP: $6,299
Engine: Four-stroke, air-cooled single
Bore x stroke: 82 x 76mm
Compression ratio: 8.3:1
Carburetor: Nikki 6C1026
Air filter: Snorkel-type with two-stage dry replaceable element
Oil filter: Automotive-type spin-on canister
Ignition: Magneto and transistor
Electrical: 12VDC, 14 amp-hour battery, alternator
Transmission: Kawasaki Automatic Power-Drive System (KAPS), with reverse
Final drive: Shaft, dual-mode rear differential
Exhaust: Muffler with USFS-approved spark arrestor
Front tires: 22×9-10 tubeless
Rear tires: 22×11-10 tubeless
Front suspension / wheel travel: MacPherson struts / 3.1 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: Unit swing axle, adjustable shocks / 3.1 in.
Brakes: Four-wheel hydraulic drum
Fuel capacity: 4.1 gallons
Curb weight: 946 lbs.
Overall length: 107.1 in.
Overall width: 52.6 in.
Overall height: 70.1 in.
Wheelbase: 70.0 in.
Ground clearance: 6.1 in.
Roll over protective structure (ROPS): This structure meets ROPS requirements for wheeled tractors under SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, and 7.5. This structure also meets FMVSS 216 Roof Crush resistance requirement
Cargo bed dimensions (LxWxH): 41.1 x 35.4 x 9.6 in. / 10.9 cu. ft.
Cargo capacity: 400 lbs.
Load capacity: 926 lbs.
Towing capacity: 1,100 lbs.
Turning radius: 10.8 ft.
Top speed: 25 mph, governed
Instruments: Hour meter, 35w headlights, taillight and stoplight
Color choices: Woodsman Green, Dark Royal Red
2009 Kawasaki Mule 600 – Canada Specifications
Canadian MSRP $0
Model not available in Canada
The specifications mentioned here apply to and have been achieved by production models under standard operating conditions. We intend only to give a fair description of the vehicle and its performance capabilities but these specifications may not apply to every machine supplied for sale. Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. reserves the right to alter specifications without prior notice. Equipment illustrated and specifications may vary to meet individual markets. Available colours may vary by market. Note: Specifications and pricing are subject to change.