Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2010 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4X4
2010 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4X4
When four-wheel-drive traction is a must for hauling cargo around farms, through fields or to remote job sites, the Kawasaki Mule™ 4010 4×4 is the off-road utility vehicle of choice. With its full-size chassis, selectable four-wheel drive and powerful, digital fuel injection (DFI®) equipped engine there is never a doubt it can get the job done. The Mule 4010 4×4 also features an electric power steering (EPS) system, a fully-automatic transmission, locking rear differential and a tilting cargo bed.
2010 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4X4 Details & Features
At a glance…
– Digital fuel injected V-twin
– Modern styling and low operating costs
– User-friendly dashboard and controls
– Electric power steering system (EPS)
– Four-wheel drive
Liquid Cooled, V-Twin Engine
– Four-stroke, 617cc V-Twin industrial engine produces exceptional torque at low engine speeds
– Modern four-stroke design with overhead valves for efficient running and good fuel economy
– Large capacity radiator and fan maintain consistent engine temperatures, even in hot climates
– Rubber engine mounts minimize vibration, noise and wear to maximize operation comfort and diminish fatigue
Digital Fuel Injection
– Computer controlled fuel injection system automatically compensates for atmospheric pressure, air and engine temperature, for easy, prompt engine starting under a variety of conditions
– Automatic fast idle speed control eliminates the need for a choke, allowing the operator to drive off immediately after a cold engine start
– Throttle bodies feature sub-throttle valves for optimum performance and drivability. The sub throttles are located behind the main throttle valves and controlled by the ECU for smooth throttle response
– Automatic digital ignition system helps ensure smooth efficient operation
– Maximum engine speed is controlled by the ECU, eliminating the need for a mechanical governor
– Offers easy engine operation and reduced maintenance requirements
Cab Frame Air Intake
– Draws engine air and converter cooling air from the top of the cab frame where there’s less dust, so the air filter stays cleaner longer
Environmentally Friendly Emissions
– DFI precision reduces fuel consumption and cuts exhaust emissions
– Positive crankcase ventilation system sends blow-by gasses to the intake tract to be burned in the engine
– Muffler features a U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor
Kawasaki Automatic Power-Drive System (KAPS)
– Fully automatic continuously variable transmission (CVT) features forward high and low and reverse, and helps keep the engine in the right operating rpm for a variety of vehicle speeds, loads, or terrain
– The CVT has a wide spread of drive ratios for quick acceleration and ample pulling power
– An open sided drive pulley cools better for longer belt life
– Offers adjustable belt deflection
Electric Power Steering (EPS)
– The EPS system reduces steering effort, especially at low speeds when turning effort is greatest
– Input from a vehicle speed and torque sensors determine the amount of steering assistance required from the system’s electric motor
– To keep from draining the battery, the EPS only operates when the engine is running
– When engine is stopped, more force is needed to turn the steering wheel even if the ignition is switched on
Four-Wheel Drive with 2-Speed Transfer Case
– Selectable four-wheel drive gives the operator traction options
– Shift to four-wheel drive and low range for maximum traction in adverse conditions or select two-wheel drive and high range to cut gear wear and increase fuel economy
Dual Mode Differential
– Dual-mode rear differential can be “locked” for extra pulling power and maximum traction or unlocked when traveling across delicate terrain
Independent Strut-Type Front Suspension
– MacPherson strut long-travel front suspension provide a comfortable ride and excellent load-carrying capability
– Stiffer springs prevent bottoming and increase ground clearance
DeDion Rear Suspension
– Overload-style leaf springs can handle heavy loads, yet provide a smooth ride when the cargo box is empty
– Semi-independent action
4-Wheel, Self-Adjusting Sealed Hydraulic Drum Brakes
– Four wheel brakes are self-adjusting and feature extra sealing for protection against mud, dust and debris
– The brake drums have an added flange and seal to keep out mud and water
– Low maintenance and powerful
Wheels and Tires
– 23-inch tires with stiff sidewalls for an improved the ride and added ground clearance
– The rear wheel bearings use two rollers in one large bearing for added durability
– The wheel bearings seals on all four wheels have 3 lips for better protection
Front Hood with Storage Tub
– Deeper under hood storage tub holds cargo out of sight
– Offers quick, easy access with a push-button latch
– Includes four D-rings for securing loads
Tilting Cargo Bed
– Steel tilting cargo bed can carry up to 800 pounds
– Thick tailgate panel and secure latching tailgate locking pins reduces vibration and noise, and adds durability
Rugged and Capable
– Bodywork is a rugged, modern design with truck-like styling
– Can tow up to 1,200 lbs with optional Kawasaki Accessory draw bar
– Meets Roll Over Protective Structure (ROPS) requirements for wheeled tractors under SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.4, and 7.5, and also meets FMVSS 216 roof crush resistance requirement
– Bench seat can carry up to three
– Durable chassis includes winch-ready mounts to simplify winch installation
– The oil dipstick and filler tube are accessed under the seat
– Cyclone-type engine air cleaner has meter to indicate when to replace the filter
– An automotive-style fuse box is convenient and uses blade-type fuses
– The 2WD/4WD lever is mounted on the dash for easy access
– Parking brake and coolant temperature warning lights are easy to see
– Dashboard has dual glove boxes and cupholders for both the driver and passenger
– A horn and 12V DC outlet with 10 amp capacity
– Shift lever with Y-gate pattern eliminates need for High-Low switch lever
– Push-button headlight switch activates 35-watt cat-eye headlights
– Standard equipment hour meter
Popular Accessory Items
– Soft or Hard Top
– Enclosed Cab
– Cab Heater
– Snow Plow
2010 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4X4 Technology
Proven 617cc, 4-stroke, 90º V-twin, OHV, liquid-cooled gasoline engine now features dual injector fuel injection. The switch to fuel injection means stable power all the time, smooth response, improved power feeling, easy starting and no need to adjust engine settings to suit climate and varying altitude conditions.
Fuel pump located in the fuel tank features a built-in fuel pressure regulator. (This system is similar to that used on motorcycles and on Kawasaki’s fuel-injected ATVs.)
To ensure smooth engine response, the engine features dual throttle valves. The throttle body contains a Ã¸34 mm upstream (sub-) throttle valve and a Ã¸30 mm downstream(main) throttle valve. The sub-throttle valve is operated by the driver via the accelerator pedal; the main valve is operated by a step-motor actuator which is controlled by the ECU. The ECU uses throttle position input from the sub-valve to determine the ideal throttle position for the main valve, ensuring smooth inlet airflow.
To keep the fuel injection system simple and reliable, rather than use an atmospheric pressure sensor, the ECU calculates atmospheric pressure using the pulse air pressure measured by the inlet pressure sensor.
The ECU compensates for air and engine temperature and atmospheric pressure, ensuring sure and prompt engine starts in a variety of conditions (including cold, high altitude, etc). Auto fast idle when the engine is cold means being able to move out right after a coldengine start.
The ECU also enforces the vehicle’s maximum speed. In Hi-gear, the throttle is slowly closed as max vehicle speed is approached. In Low-gear, the throttle is closed partially before fuel is cut at the engine speed where the max vehicle speed would be exceeded.
Kawasaki Diagnostic System (KDS) can be used to diagnose the fuel injection system.
Compact and lightweight, durable and powerful, the engine is mounted in a rubber-isolated sub-frame to ensure low vibration levels.
Overhead valves designed for efficient running and good fuel economy are durable and operate quietly.
Crankcase breathers fitted to route blow-by back to the intake pipe for cleaner exhaust emissions.
Liquid-cooled engine ensures optimum operating temperatures, either while working hard or idling for extended periods. Ideal for stop-go applications, with low fuel costs and efficient cooling negating the need to constantly turn off and restart the engine.
Large diameter cooling hoses and pipes are used for low resistance in the coolant
A cyclone-airflow-type air cleaner draws air from one of two snorkel intakes in the tubing of the overhead frame to provide the engine with a steady supply of clean air, even in dusty operating conditions. The second intake supplies cooling air to the CVT.
Belt-driven automatic transmission with a Hi-Lo dual-range transfer case and selectable 4WD with manually operated differential lock for high versatility.
Lightweight CVT System features a cover with a trim seal for water and mud resistance.
A belt-deflection adjuster reduces maintenance and a double-cogged belt reduces flex wear.
Belt converter case is well sealed to prevent entry of dust and water.
CVT air cleaner with easily replaceable filter element reduces CVT wear by cooling it with filtered air taken in through the overhead frame (as per the engine intake).
All the MULE 4000 Series models are adorned with a new, no-nonsense big-truck styling package. The serious work image is emphasized by the squared-off, wide design, oversize bumpers and fenders, and a greater wheel-fender clearance. Steel diamond-plate flooring and steel cargo beds contribute to the tough image.
Sealed under-bonnet front storage (now similar to that on the KAF400A)is easily accessible using the hood-release lever on the dash. The front storage capacity is 60 liters.
Practical cab layout puts all controls within reach.
Dual sealed glove boxes (located on the left and right side of the dashboard) provide additional storage for small items.
Driver and passenger-side cup holders are located on either side of the bonnet.
Round 35W headlights throw plenty of light when the job goes past sundown.
Kawasaki’s high-grade electric power steering (EPS) system works best when you need it most: at extremely slow speeds and when stopped.
Turning the wheel causes a signal to be sent to the EPS ECU, initiating assistance. The ECU uses input from a vehicle speed sensor and torque sensor to determine the amount of steering assistance required from the system’s electric motor.
At slow speeds or when stopped, assistance is greatest; assistance is reduced as vehicle speed increases to ensure stable handling.
The EPS system also enhances ride comfort and control by acting as a damping system. The inertia of the electric motor significantly reduces bump steer and kickback to the steering wheel caused by shocks to the wheels.
Because the EPS system does not rely on power steering fluid pumped by the engine, there is no engine power loss. Fuel efficiency is also uncompromised.
Ladder-type tubular steel frame features reinforced gussetting and shock mounting brackets for high load capacity and great durability.
Ackerman rack-and-pinion steering provides precise, easy handling, and a tight turning radius while reducing tire wear.
Limited-slip front differential allows great traction with low steering effort.
Dual-mode rear differential provides maximum traction when in locked mode and minimizes ground disturbance when unlocked.
Cargo bed features a two-lever tailgate release system for easy opening and closing.
Large plastic fuel tank gives the fuel-efficient 4000 Series MULEs a great operating range.
All Mule models are approved for Roll Over Protection System (ROPS). The construction meets ROPS requirements for wheeled tractors under SAEJ1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.4 and 7.5. The structure also meets the FMVSS216 Roof Crush resistance requirement.
Front and rear brake drum seals are triple-ribbed for water and mud resistance.
Rear wheel incorporates a sealed double-bearing unit for durability and water and mud resistance.
Beefy 23″ tires provide great off-road traction, ensure ample ground clearance and complement the rugged styling.
Front suspension selected to prevent bottoming-out under full load without sacrificing ride comfort.
De Dion overload-style rear suspension allows good unladen ride, yet is rugged and durable under maximum loads.
Independent MacPherson strut-type suspension allows each wheel to track over unevenground for maximum traction with light steering effort.
Authentic Kawasaki Accessories
Seethe current applicable Kawasaki accessory catalog or www.kawasaki.cafor all of the latest Authentic Kawasaki Accessories available for this model.
2010 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4X4 – USA Specifications
US MSRP* $9,699 USD
Engine Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, overhead valve V-twin
Bore x Stroke 76 x 68mm
Compression ratio 10.3:1
Carburetor Digital Fuel Injection
Air filter Snorkel-type with cyclone-type two-stage dry replaceable element
Oil filter Automotive-type spin-on canister
Ignition Digital electronic
Electrical 12V DC, 18 amp-hour battery, alternator
Transmission Continuously variable transmission (CVT) with high and low range, forward, and reverse, 2WD/4WD
Final drive Shaft, selectable four-wheel drive with dual-model differential
Exhaust Muffler with USFS-approved spark arrestor
Tires 23×11-10 tubeless
Front suspension / wheel travel Independent, MacPherson strut / 3.9 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel Semi-independent, De Dion axle with leaf springs and shocks / 2.8 in.
Steering Electric power assisted rack-and-pinion
Brakes Four-wheel hydraulic drums, sealed
Fuel capacity 6.2 gal.
Curb weight 1,406 lbs.
Overall length 118.3 in.
Overall height 75.8 in.
Overall width 62.0 in.
Wheelbase 73.6 in.
Ground clearance 6.9 in.
Roll over protective structure (ROPS) This structure meets ROPS requirements for wheeled tractors under SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, and 7.5. This structure also meets FMVSS 216 Roof Crush resistance requirement
Cargo bed dimensions (LxWxH) 46.3 x 51.6 x 11.3 /15.6 cu. Ft.
Load capacity 1,330 lbs.
Cargo Bed Capacity 800 lbs.
Towing capacity 1,200 lbs.
Turning radius 11.2 ft.
Top speed 25 mph, governed
Lighting (2) 30-watt sealed-beam headlights, (2) 5/21-watt taillight/stoplight
Instruments Parking brake warning light, coolant temperature warning light, horn, 12V DC outlet
Color Choices Woodsman Green, Smoky Blue
Warranty 12 Months
Good Times™ Protection Plan 12 or 24 months
*Note: Specifications and pricing are subject to change.
2010 Kawasaki Mule 4010 4X4 – Canada Specifications
Canadian MSRP* $12,399 CDN
Type 4-Stroke, Fuel Injected V-Twin, Liquid-Cooled, OHV
Bore and Stroke 76.0 x 68.0 mm
Compression Ratio 10.3:1
Lubrication Forced Lubrication, Wet Sump
Transmission Automatic, Forward (Hi/Lo) and reverse
Primary Drive Belt Converter
Final Drive Gear (Selectable 2WD/4WD), Dual Mode Differential
Primary Reduction Ratio 3.9~0.85 (Belt Converter)
Final Reduction Ratio 5.4 (81/15)
Type Ladder Type, Tubular Steel
Front Suspension Independent, MacPherson Strut
Rear Suspension Semi-Independent, De Dion Axle
Front Wheel Travel 100 mm
Rear Wheel Travel 70 mm
Front Tire 23 x 11.00-10 T/L
Rear Tire 23 x 11.00-10 T/L
Front Hydraulic Drums
Rear Hydraulic Drums
Parking Mechanical Drum
Overall Length 3, 005 mm
Overall Width 1, 575 mm
Overall Height 1, 925 mm
Wheelbase 1, 870 mm
Ground Clearance 175 mm
Seat Height 865 mm
Bed Length x Width x Height 1, 175 x 1, 310 x 288 mm
Curb Mass 638 kg
Fuel Tank Capacity 23.5 L.
Maximum Torque 47.0 Nom@ 2,500 RPM
Top Speed 38 km/h (Governed)
Maximum Permissible Load 603 kg
Cargo Bed Load Capacity 363.6 kg
Seating Capacity 2
Maximum Power 14.7 kW @ 3, 600 RPM
Minimum Turning Radius 3.4 m
Colours Woodsman Green, Smoky Blue
Warranty 12 months
ADDITIONAL COST OPTIONS
Good Times Protection Plan 12 or 24 months (Kawasaki GTPP coverage begins after the standard limited warranty expires)
* The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price does not include freight, pre-delivery inspection or applicable taxes. The final price is at the discretion of the dealer. Prices and Specifications are subject to change without prior notice.
The specifications mentioned here apply to and have been achieved by production models under standard operating conditions. We intend only to give a fair description of the vehicle and its performance capabilities but these specifications may not apply to every machine supplied for sale. Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. reserves the right to alter specifications without prior notice. Equipment illustrated and specifications may vary to meet individual markets. Available colours may vary by market.