2012 Kawasaki Mule 4000
Back to 2012 Kawasaki ATV Quad Models Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2012 Kawasaki Mule 4000
2012 Kawasaki Mule 4000 Review
Capability and Value in a Full-Size Utility Machine
The two-wheel drive Mule™ 4000 is a step up in cargo and towing capacity from the compact Mule 600 series, thanks to its full-size chassis and a more powerful engine, now equipped with digital fuel injection (DFI). It’s what users expect from the vehicle that forms the foundation of Kawasaki’s full-size industrial-grade utility line. The Mule 4000 also features a fully automatic transmission, locking rear differential and a tilting cargo bed.
Sometimes the job is just too big and too nasty for anything but a full-sized utility vehicle. And when that’s the case, the Kawasaki Mule™ 4000 is ready to go. As the foundation of Kawasaki’s full-sized utility line, the Mule 4000 offers all the hardware and technology you need to tackle really big jobs, including a full-sized chassis, powerful four-stroke V-twin engine with digital fuel injection and serious towing capacity, a fully automatic transmission, locking rear differential and a tilting cargo bed. Think of the Mule 4000 as the stronger big brother to an already capable Mule 600 series machine.
Power is key in this class of machine, and the Mule 4000’s got plenty. Its powerful and torquey liquid-cooled 617cc four-stroke V-twin is managed by a digital Electronic Control Unit (ECU) and features a fuel injection system that compensates for variations in atmospheric pressure, engine and air temperature. The result is smooth and consistent power, easy starting, crisp throttle response and precise fuel metering, which helps reduce fuel consumption and lower emissions. The ECU incorporates an automatic fast idle speed control that activates when the engine is cold, eliminating the need for a manual choke. Its electronics also regulate maximum engine speed, so there’s no need for a mechanical governor.
To make the going easy, the Mule 4000 features a continuously variable transmission (CVT) that provides quick acceleration and efficient pulling power. A dependable and low-maintenance shaft drive system transfers power to a dual-mode differential that can be locked to maximize rear wheel traction, or unlocked to improve handling and minimize ground disturbance when negotiating tight turns.
Like its accurate, light-steering rack-and-pinion system, the Mule 4000’s easy-to-operate controls are highly user friendly and positioned to maximize comfort and convenience. The gear selector is located on the dash within easy reach and the headlights are activated by a simple push-button switch. Instrumentation includes an easy-to-see coolant temperature warning light, an hour meter and horn. The convenient air restriction gauge indicates when the Mule 4000’s air filter needs cleaning or replacement. Located beneath the seat, the fuse box and oil dipstick are easily accessed, making maintenance chores a cinch.
The Mule 4000’s roomy and comfortable cab is surrounded by the large-diameter steel tube frame structure. With its modern and rugged bodywork, the Mule 4000 is a natural in a tough pickup truck work environment. Its body panels are manufactured from durable, color-molded plastic that helps hide minor scuffs and scratches. The front hood can be opened with the pull of a dash-mounted knob and allows access to a deep storage space equipped with convenient D-rings to help secure cargo. Additionally, two levers make opening and closing the tailgate a secure and easy process.
The convenience factor on the Mule 4000 extends beyond easy-access latches or controls; it can also boast of owner-friendly features such as the winch-ready tabs located under the front grille, which greatly simplify the winch mounting process.
The Mule 4000 chassis is based around a ladder-type frame riding on a DeDion type rear leaf-spring suspension designed to carry heavy loads yet provide a smooth ride when the cargo bed is empty. MacPherson struts handle front suspension duties and provide a good balance of comfort and load capacity. Sealed, self-adjusting hydraulic drum brakes at all four wheels offer progressive stopping power, and large 23-inch tires at all four corners provide maximum traction for a variety of surfaces as well as a comfortable ride.
The Mule 4000 utility vehicle can carry 800 pounds in its steel cargo bed and tow up to 1,200 pounds when equipped with the optional draw bar. Other popular accessories include an enclosed cab, cab heater, snow plow, and soft or hard tops. These and many other Authentic Kawasaki Accessories are available through Kawasaki dealers.
2012 Kawasaki Mule 4000 Features and Benefits:
At a glance…
– Digital fuel injected V-twin engine
– Modern styling and low operating costs
– User friendly dashboard and controls
– Two-wheel drive
Liquid-cooled, V-twin Engine
– Four-stroke, 617cc V-twin industrial engine produces exceptional torque at low engine speeds
– Modern four-stroke design with overhead valves for efficient running and good fuel economy
– Large capacity radiator and fan maintain consistent engine temperatures, even in hot climates
– Rubber engine mounts minimize vibration, noise and wear to maximize operation comfort and diminish fatigue
Digital Fuel Injection
– Computer controlled fuel injection system automatically compensates for atmospheric pressure, air and engine temperature for easy, prompt engine starting under a variety of conditions
– Automatic fast idle speed control eliminates the need for a choke, allowing the operator to drive off immediately after a cold engine start
– Throttle bodies feature sub-throttle valves for optimum performance and drivability. The sub-throttles are located behind the main throttle valves and controlled by the ECU for smooth throttle response
– Automatic digital ignition system helps ensure smooth, efficient operation
– Maximum engine speed is controlled by the ECU, eliminating the need for a mechanical governor
– Offers easy engine operation and reduced maintenance requirements
Cab Frame Air Intake
– Draws engine air and converter cooling air from the top of the cab frame where there is less dust, so the air filter stays cleaner longer
Environmentally Friendly Emissions
– DFI® precision reduces fuel consumption and cuts exhaust emissions
– Positive crankcase pressure ventilation system sends blow-by gases back through the intake tract to be burned by the engine
– Muffler features a U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor
Kawasaki Automatic Power-Drive System (KAPS)
– Fully automatic continuously variable transmission (CVT) features forward and reverse, and helps keep the engine in the right operating rpm for a variety of vehicle speeds, loads or terrain
– The CVT has a wide spread of drive ratios for quick acceleration and ample pulling power
– An open sided drive pulley cools better for longer belt life
– Offers adjustable belt deflection
– Dual-mode rear differential can be locked for extra pulling power and maximum traction or unlocked for more nimble handling, or when traversing delicate terrain
Independent Strut-type Front Suspension
– MacPherson strut long-travel front suspension provides a comfortable ride and excellent load-carrying capability
– Firm springs help prevent bottoming and provide increased ground clearance
DeDion Rear Suspension
– Overload-style leaf springs can handle heavy loads, yet provide a smooth ride when the cargo box is empty
– Semi-independent action offers improved handling over traditional leaf spring layouts
Four-wheel, Self-adjusting Sealed Hydraulic Drum Brakes
– Four wheel brakes are self-adjusting
– The brake drums have an added flange and seal to resist mud and water contamination
– Low maintenance design
Wheels and Tires
– 23-inch tires with stiff sidewalls for extra ground clearance and an improved ride
– The rear wheel bearings use two rollers in one large bearing for added durability
– The wheel bearing seals on all four wheels have three lips for better protection
Front Hood with Storage Tub
– Offers quick, easy access with the pull of a dash-mounted knob
– Deeper under hood storage tub holds cargo out of sight
– Includes four D-rings for securing loads
Tilting Cargo Bed
– Steel cargo bed can carry up to 800 pounds
– Tilts for quick unloading
– Thick tailgate panel and secure locking pins reduce noise and vibration, add durability
– Adjustable bed latches
Rugged and Capable
– Bodywork is a rugged, modern design with truck-like styling
– Can tow up to 1,200 lbs with optional Kawasaki Accessory towing hitch
– Meets Roll Over Protective Structure (ROPS) requirements for wheeled tractors under SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.4, and 7.5, and also meets FMVSS 216 roof crush resistance requirement
– Bench seat provides comfortable seating for two
– Durable chassis includes winch-ready mounts to simplify winch installation
– Oil dipstick and filler tube are located under the seat, for quick, easy access
– Cyclone-type engine air cleaner has flow meter to indicate when filter requires maintenance
– Convenient automotive-style fuse box uses easy-to-find blade-type fuses
– Rack-and-pinion steering is light and precise
– Dashboard has dual glove boxes and cupholders for both the driver and passenger
– Horn and 12V DC outlet with 10 amp capacity
– Parking brake and coolant temperature warning lights are easier to see
– Push button headlight switch activates 35-watt cat-eye headlights
– Hour meter and fuel gauge included as standard equipment
Popular Accessory Items
– Soft or Hard Top
– Enclosed Cab
– Snow Plow
2012 Kawasaki Mule 4000 – Specifications and Technical Details
US MSRP*: $8,399 USD
Canadian MSRP*: $TBA CDN
Engine Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, overhead valve V-twin
Bore x Stroke 76 x 68mm
Compression ratio 10.3: 1
Carburetor Digital Fuel Injection
Air filter Snorkel-type with cyclone-type two-stage dry replaceable element
Oil filter Automotive-type spin-on canister
Ignition Digital electronic
Electrical 12V DC, 18 amp-hour battery, alternator
Transmission Continuously variable transmission (CVT) with forward and reverse
Final drive Shaft, dual-mode rear differential
Exhaust Muffler with USFS-approved spark arrestor
Tires 23×11-10 tubeless
Front suspension / wheel travel Independent, MacPherson strut / 3.9 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel Semi-independent, De Dion axle with leaf springs and shocks / 2.8 in.
Steering Rack and pinion
Brakes Four-wheel hydraulic drums, sealed
Fuel capacity 6.2 gal.
Curb Weight 1,312 lbs.
Overall length 118.3 in.
Overall width 62.0 in.
Overall height 75.8 in.
Wheelbase 73.6 in.
Ground clearance 7.5 in.
Roll over protective structure (ROPS) This structure meets ROPS requirements for wheeled tractors under SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, and 7.5. This structure also meets FMVSS 216 Roof Crush resistance requirement
Cargo bed dimensions (LxWxH) 46.3 x 51.6 x 11.3 in. / 15.6 cu. ft.
Load capacity 1,330 lbs.
Cargo Bed Capacity 800 lbs.
Towing capacity 1,200 lbs.
Turning radius 11.0 ft.
Top speed 25 mph, governed
Instruments Parking brake warning light, coolant temperature warning light, horn, 12V DC outlet, (2) 5/21-watt taillight, brake light, (2) 35-watt sealed-beam headlight
Color Choices Woodsman Green
Good Times™ Protection Plan 12 or 24 months
Warranty 12 Months
*Note: Specifications and pricing are subject to change.