HARLEY-DAVIDSON DELIVERS BOLD MOTORCYCLE PERFORMANCE AND RIDE-ENHANCING TECHNOLOGY FOR 2019
New Power Cruiser and Infotainment System Top a Full Slate of New Products
The all-out performance of the new 2019 Harley-Davidson® FXDR™ 114 model sets the pace for Harley-Davidson’s new 2019 motorcycles, accessories and gear that deliver fresh style, thrilling performance and advanced technology.
Less than a month after announcing plans for future product in new-to-the-brand categories and a commitment to advance its heavyweight Touring and Cruiser models, the Motor Company introduces a suite of new products that will continue to inspire people around the world to experience the exhilaration of riding a Harley-Davidson motorcycle.
“Harley-Davidson innovation is infused in all of the new products we are offering for 2019,” said Harley-Davidson Vice President of Marketing Heather Malenshek. “Innovation in design, innovation in technology, and innovation in performance will inspire Harley-Davidson fans and a new generation of riders to share the wide-open freedom of motorcycling.”
New Power Cruiser Offers Racing Style and Performance
The FXDR 114 is an unapologetic power cruiser that brings a new level of performance to the Harley-Davidson lineup. The FXDR 114 combines the unrelenting power of the Milwaukee-Eight® 114 engine with liberal use of weight-saving aluminum and composite components, including a new aluminum swingarm, aluminum subframe, light-weight wheels and composite fenders, to amplify every aspect of its agile handling and performance.
The FXDR 114 is equipped with the most-powerful engine offered in the Softail chassis, a Milwaukee-Eight 114 V-Twin tuned to pound out up to 119 ft. lb. of torque at 3500 rpm (U.S. model). The strong-and-rigid Softail chassis and premium suspension components will reward assertive riders with thrilling agility when riding through twisting backroads and navigating congested urban traffic. The FXDR 114 offers more lean angle than any other Softail model.
Visually, the FXDR 114 communicates its commitment to performance through design inspirations from the drag strip – from a molded speed screen to a clipped tail section and solo seat. The rear fender is shaped to hug a massive 240 mm tire and moves with the tire through the range of the suspension, so it becomes almost invisible when the FXDR 114 is in motion.
Harley-Davidson Touring and Trike Models Increase Technology and Performance
Harley-Davidson continues to advance its heavyweight Touring and Trike models with technology that elevates performance, function and style.
- The new Boom! Box™ GTS infotainment system for select Harley-Davidson Touring and Trike motorcycles offers the contemporary look, feel and function of the latest mobile devices and tablets, with durability and features designed specifically for motorcycling, plus Apple CarPlay compatibility (when a microphone is in use with optional Harley-Davidson® Genuine Motor Accessories headsets) and hands-free voice recognition.
- The all-new electronic Reflex Linked Brake system for 2019 Harley-Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra and Freewheeler three-wheeled motorcycles incorporates Antilock Braking System (ABS), Traction Control System (TCS), Drag-Torque Slip Control System (DSCS) and a linked front and rear braking system, features that work together to inspire greater rider confidence.
- All-new premium Harley-Davidson Touring suspension technology gives the 2019 Harley-Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra and Freewheeler three-wheeled motorcycle models a significant improvement in ride quality and ease of pre-load adjustment.
- Select 2019 Harley-Davidson Touring and Trike motorcycles will be powered by the Milwaukee-Eight 114 engine. At 114 cubic inches, the Milwaukee-Eight 114 engine has the most displacement offered from the Harley-Davidson factory in standard model motorcycles and delivers strong acceleration and passing performance.
2019 Limited Edition CVO Models Offer Super-Premium Style and Performance
Three limited-production 2019 Harley-Davidson® Custom Vehicle Operations™ models offer show-stopping finishes, advanced technology, exclusive components and extreme attention to detail. The high-performance Milwaukee-Eight® 117 engine is exclusive to CVO models. The new Boom!™ Box GTS infotainment system is standard on each 2019 CVO™ model.
- 2019 CVO™ Limited: For the rider who expects it all – luxury, performance, features and style. The CVO Limited model offers the ultimate in long-range touring comfort and luxury.
- 2019 CVO™ Street Glide®: An edgy, custom-bagger with hot-rod performance and a mind-blowing premium audio system.
- 2019 CVO™ Road Glide®: Distinctive, menacing style combined with long-haul comfort in a performance touring motorcycle ready for long roads and late nights.
Performance, Style and Technology from Harley-Davidson Genuine Motor Accessories
Harley-Davidson® Genuine Motor Accessories are developed alongside new motorcycles to ensure that all customization options are backed by the highest fit, finish, testing and OEM standards. Harley-Davidson® Authorized Dealerships are the customization experts equipped to help select and install Harley-Davidson® Genuine Motor Parts & Accessories. Highlights for 2019 include:
- The 7-inch Daymaker® Adaptive LED headlamp utilizes patented sensors and electronics integrated into the headlamp to determine lean angle of the motorcycle and automatically project additional light into corners to illuminate areas of the road that may be unlit by traditional LED headlamps.
- The new Dominion™ Collection offers the unique ability to personalize individual accessory components for almost unlimited custom options. This collection is offered in gloss black anodized and bronze powder coated base colors and features interchangeable trim pieces in brushed black, bronze powder coated, brushed orange anodized or brushed aluminum that can be added in any combination. This premium accessory collection accentuates a bold, high-performance riding style.
- Performance-enhancing Screamin’ Eagle® Stage Upgrades are engineered to generate specific torque and horsepower gains, eliminating all the guesswork and trial-and-error testing normally associated with engine modifications. These stage upgrades are EPA compliant with noise and emissions standards and include everything required to enhance Harley-Davidson motorcycle performance without voiding the motorcycle warranty when installed by an authorized H-D dealer. The new 4.5-inch Screamin’ Eagle® Muffler for the Harley-Davidson Sport Glide® model enables Screamin’ Eagle® Stage I through IV. New Screamin’ Eagle® Timer Cover & Inserts for the Milwaukee-Eight engine show off “what’s inside” with a premium metal medallion labelled with 107, 114 or 117 displacement and the Stage level.
New FXRG Collection Created for Touring and Urban Riding Environments
Ride when you want, where you want. The new FXRG® Collection was created for passionate motorcycle riders who demand a riding system with a combination of road-tested designs for customizable head-to-toe comfort and versatility in any riding environment.
- FXRG for Touring: Utilizing innovative technologies and materials, including a moisture-wicking Coolcore® lining and stretch Cordura® panels for improved fit and comfort, the new FXRG Triple Vent System Waterproof Jackets for men and women in leather or textile fabrics offer year-round comfort in almost any condition. These jackets are paired with new FXRG Waterproof Overpants. Because the touring rider needs the ability to layer up or down to manage everything mother nature can deliver, the new FXRG Collection includes base layers and an insulated mid-layer designed specifically for motorcycling.
- FXRG for Urban: The urban riding environment demands riding gear that is built to offer protection, comfort and mobility. The new FXRG® Gratify Slim Fit Leather Jacket and Men’s FXRG® Slim Fit Riding Jackets combine contemporary style with real coverage and comfort features, including a moisture-wicking Coolcore® lining, power-stretch materials for improved fit, lightweight CE-certified removable body armor and engineered perforations to help release body heat. Riders can pair these jackets with new abrasion-resistant FXRG® Armalith® Denim riding jeans.
The complete FXRG Collection includes three new FXRG helmets and waterproof FXRG Dual Chamber Gauntlet gloves.
Less than a month after announcing plans for future product in new-to-the-brand categories and a commitment to advance its heavyweight Touring and Cruiser models, Harley-Davidson® introduces a number of technology advancements that elevate performance, function and style across the 2019 Harley-Davidson Touring and Trike motorcycle lines.
New Harley-Davidson Boom! Box GTS Infotainment System
The new Boom! Box™ GTS infotainment system is an evolved interface experience for riders of select Harley-Davidson Touring and Trike motorcycles. The Boom! Box GTS system offers the contemporary look, feel and function of the latest mobile devices and tablets, with durability and features designed specifically for motorcycling, plus Apple CarPlay compatibility and hands-free voice recognition. Every element has been optimized to enhance the rider’s interaction with the motorcycle and connectivity with the world to ultimately improve the motorcycle touring experience.
The Boom! Box GTS is standard equipment on 2019 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited, Ultra Limited Low, Road Glide® Ultra, Road Glide® Special, Street Glide® Special, CVO™ Limited, CVO™ Street Glide®, CVO™ Road Glide®and Tri Glide® Ultra models. Boom! Box GTS is a factory-installed option for Harley-Davidson Street Glide®, Road Glide® and Electra Glide® Ultra Classic® models.
The factory installed Boom! Box GTS audio features 25 watts per channel through two or four speakers, depending on motorcycle model. System upgrades available from Harley-Davidson® Genuine Motor Accessories support up to four sets of Boom! Stage II speakers and 1,200 watts total power. Audio sources include AM, FM, WB, XM, Bluetooth streaming and Digital Mass Storage compatibility. The Boom! Box GTS supports the Harley-Davidson Wireless Headset Interface Module (sold separately) which permits full access to the infotainment features through Bluetooth technology and compatible wireless headsets.
The 6.5-inch Boom! Box GTS is glass from edge to edge and has the sleek, modern appearance of the latest tablet devices and premium automotive displays. The Corning® Gorilla® Glass touch-screen surface is the same durable and scratch resistant cover glass used on billions of mobile devices worldwide. It includes an advanced surface treatment designed to minimize reflection for exceptional visibility in bright sunlight. The screen is optimized for use in wet or dry conditions, even when used with riding gloves. The glass is optically bonded to a TFT display (thin-film-transistor, a type of liquid-crystal display noted for high image quality and contrast) with 100 percent more resolution and a four-times higher contrast ratio than the 6.5GT display it replaces, for a crisp and clean appearance even in bright sunlight.
Improved User Experience
The new Boom! Box GTS processes faster, has more memory and is more responsive than the Boom! Box 6.5GT infotainment system it replaces. Start-up time is reduced from 21 seconds to 10 seconds, and route calculation time is reduced from 10 seconds to 2.5 seconds versus the 6.5GT system.
Like a smart phone, the navigation engine display responds to two-finger gestures: swipe, pinch, and drag. The new home screen display is simplified to three key system buttons: Navigation, Phone, and Music. A new Back button has been added to the right-hand control. The Navigation, Phone and Music screens feature condensed information that’s easy to read and navigate. The new Quick Jump feature allows easy access to Navigation, Audio and Vehicle information (press and hold Home on left hand control for the pop-up menu). Background colors and a high-contrast viewing mode are user-selectable. The entire GTS system can be managed through the touch screen and with the thumb-operated five-way joysticks located on the left- and right-hand controls.
Boom! Box GTS is Apple CarPlay compatible (when the microphone is in use with optional Harley-Davidson® Genuine Motor Accessories headsets) and can project phone functions to the screen, including streaming apps, weather, and traffic, so riders can enjoy and use familiar functions installed on their phone.
A new navigation engine features a voice recognition enabled “one box search” function (similar to a search engine) for added rider convenience. Using the Alternate Routes function, the rider can choose a route based on Fastest, Shortest, Twisty and Scenic features. The Boom! Box GTS navigation system features a new integration with the Harley-Davidson™ App for iOS or Android. Leveraging this integration a rider can easily find a destination in the App and send that point of interest or addresses to the navigation system. In addition, the integration with the App eliminates the need to use a USB jump drive to import ride routes. Riders can import routes from the App into the navigation over a Bluetooth or USB smartphone connection. Ride routes can be created in the App or on the redesigned Harley-Davidson™ Ride Planner website at www.h-d.com/rideplanner.
The Harley-Davidson App helps riders get the most out of their time on the road with features including recommended rides, ride planning, ride recording, riding challenges and the ability to find Harley-Davidson dealerships, gas stations, hotels, restaurants, motorcycle events and other attractions. Learn more at www.h-d.com/app
New Electronic Reflex Linked Brake System with Cornering Control Features
The all-new Reflex Linked Brake system for 2019 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra and Freewheeler® three-wheeled motorcycles is fully electronic and utilizes the latest inertial measurement unit (IMU) and ABS sensor technology to enhance traction, stability and braking control in both a straight line and in corners. The Reflex Linked Brake system is designed to aid the rider in controlling the vehicle while accelerating, decelerating, and braking in a straight line, in adverse road conditions, and in emergency situations. It includes four key elements:
Traction Control (TCS)
Traction control system (TCS) is designed to prevent the rear wheels from excessive spinning under acceleration, which could occur on wet or slippery road surfaces or when abrupt acceleration is commanded by the rider. If the TCS detects that a rear wheel is losing traction under acceleration it will apply brake pressure to limit wheel spin.
Drag-Torque Slip Control System (DSCS)
Drag-torque slip control system (DSCS) is designed to prevent excessive rear wheel slip under deceleration, which typically occurs when the rider makes an abrupt down-shift gear change or decelerates on wet or slippery road surfaces. When DSCS detects excessive rear wheel slip under deceleration it will adjust engine torque delivery to better match rear-wheel speed to road speed.
ABS is designed to prevent the wheels from locking up under braking, with the goal of maximizing deceleration while maintaining straight-line stability when braking on wet or slippery road surfaces or over-braking due to an unexpected hazard. The ABS detects if wheels are approaching lock up under braking and if so, modulates the brake pressure to limit wheel slip.
The Reflex Linked Brake System electronically links braking through both the front brake hand lever and the rear brake foot pedal. Linking will be active any time the brakes are applied and vehicle speed is above approximately 4.3 mph (7 kph mph). The brakes will remain linked as long as the rider continues to apply a brake control.
When the front or rear brake is actuated above approximately 4.3 mph (7 kph mph) the system applies a proportional amount of pressure to both brakes on the other axle. The amount of brake pressure applied to the other axle depends upon many factors including how hard the rider is applying the brake, the vehicle speed, and if the vehicle is turning. The amount of pressure electronically applied to the other axle is less than what a rider could apply directly with the linked axle’s lever or pedal.
The linked brakes are a rider aid, and do not replace proper braking techniques. The maximum vehicle deceleration on most surfaces is still reached by the rider applying both the front and rear brake controls.
A technical highlight of the system is its ability to measure lateral acceleration – the force the rider feels in turns – and adjust accordingly as that lateral force affects available traction. For example, the brake pressure required to limit wheel slip when cornering is typically lower than the pressure required under straight line operation, so when the system senses lateral acceleration that indicates the trike is cornering, the ABS response is adjusted accordingly. The action of Traction Control and linked braking also adjust based on lateral acceleration.
New Front and Rear Suspension for Harley-Davidson Trike Models
All-new premium Harley-Davidson Touring suspension technology gives the 2019 Harley-Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra and Freewheeler three-wheeled motorcycle models a significant improvement in ride quality compared to previous models. Both front and rear suspension components have been calibrated specifically for these Trike models.
The new front suspension features dual bending valve internal technology for linear damping performance, a smooth ride and confidence-inspiring handling and braking performance.
Emulsion technology rear suspension features a single-knob pre-load adjustment that is easy to reach below the seat and requires no maintenance. The hand adjustment and expanded pre-load range enable easy pre-load adjustment for optimal suspension performance to suit rider preference and the weight of a passenger and luggage.
Harley-Davidson® Genuine Motor Accessories will offer the same suspension technology in a Premium Ride Front Fork Kit and the Premium Ride Hand-Adjustable Trike Shocks for 2014-2018 Tri-Glide Ultra and 2015-2018 Freewheeler models.
New Power for Harley-Davidson Touring and Trike Models
Select 2019 Harley-Davidson Touring and Trike motorcycles will be powered by the Milwaukee-Eight® 114 engine. At 114 cubic inches, the Milwaukee-Eight 114 engine has the most displacement offered from the Harley-Davidson factory in standard Touring models. This performance upgrade is designed especially for riders who enjoy quicker acceleration or tour with a passenger and cargo.
The following Harley-Davidson models will be powered only by the Milwaukee-Eight 114 for 2019: Ultra Limited, Ultra Limited Low, Road Glide Ultra, Road Glide Special, Street Glide Special, Road King Special, Tri Glide Ultra and Freewheeler.
The Milwaukee-Eight 114 delivers up to 5 percent more torque than the Milwaukee-Eight 107 (123 ft. lb. vs. 117 ft. lb.) and up to 5 percent quicker 0-to-60 mph acceleration than Milwaukee-Eight 107. This engine upgrade will give riders additional power – to merge effortlessly with freeway traffic, pull away from the stoplights, and to execute passing maneuvers with confidence and fewer down-shifts, especially when laden with a passenger and touring gear.
New Daymaker™ Adaptive Headlamp from Harley-Davidson Genuine Motor Accessories
The 7-inch Daymaker™ Adaptive LED headlamp combines advanced motorcycle headlight performance with modern styling. The projector-style LED offers superior punch and spread with a pure white light that produces a “Daylight Color Impression” that appears more natural to the user and is conspicuous in traffic. The signature LED light outer ring operates as a position lamp.
Lean Angle Controlled Bank Lighting
The most-advanced headlamp system ever developed for a Harley-Davidson motorcycle utilizes patented sensors and electronics integrated into the headlamp to determine lean angle of the motorcycle and automatically projects additional light into corners to illuminate areas of the road that may be unlit by traditional LED headlamps. Extensive engineering and testing was completed on the lamp to ensure every part of the road in front of the rider is equally lit. The adaptive light feature works in both the high- and low-beam functions.
The night-time beam pattern is focused on the road ahead and is engineered to reduce wasted light that can impact oncoming traffic. The solid-state LEDs are designed for long life and low energy draw, and installation of the shock and vibration-resistant lamp assembly is quick and easy with a plug-in connection to the factory headlamp wiring.
The 7-inch Daymaker™ Adaptive LED headlamps feature a top-mount low beam, a large bottom-mount projector high beam, two additional D-shaped lenses, an outer signature ring and 12 adaptive lights and is offered in Black or Chrome finish. It fits 2009-later Touring models (except Road Glide), 2012-2016 Switchback™ and 2004-2017 Softail® models with a 7-inch headlamp. DOT and ECE compliant for all markets.