Click photos to enlarge. Our big, clean bike pics make great desktop wallpaper.
2014 Yamaha YZ450F Review
2014 Yamaha YZ450F
The All-New 2014 YZ450F
Featuring a new EFI engine, an entirely new frame, minimized body work and new suspension components providing for excellent mass centralization and class leading 450 power with 250-style handling.
The 2014 YZ450F provides enhanced engine and cornering performance, while continuing to refine mass centralization and functionality. A greater depth of power in the high rpm range, and a revised front weight bias, the new 450F offers sharper cornering, improved grip and an all new compact body design. The 2014 YZ450F delivers performance that keeps you ahead of the competition!
2014 Yamaha YZ450F Total Motorcycle Key Features
1. YZ450F’s revolutionary rearward-slanted-cylinder design is an innovative approach to achieve unmatched mass centralization. Concentrating the motorcycle’s heaviest components (engine mass, fuel tank, exhaust system, and airbox) toward the center of the machine helps achieve superior, nimble handling.
2. The 4-titanium-valve cylinder head is matched to a newly recalibrated fuel injection system to provide superb power feeling across the rpm range. The adjustable fuel injection system uses a 44mm throttle body fed by a high pressure battery-less electric pump to ensure optimum fuel atomization and air/fuel calibration for excellent readability in a wide range of riding conditions. The YZ450F instantly adapts to changing air/fuel mixtures depending on altitude and temperature, for an engine that delivers no matter what conditions.
3. The new aluminum Bilateral Beam frame offers a superb rigidity balance and, with new settings to already class leading front and rear suspension, provides unmatched lightweight handling and cornering. For 2014, the steering head pipe is moved 10mm closer to the rider, making for a more compact chassis dimension and placing more weight bias on the front wheel which translates to an even more precise and instinctive handling character.
4. Accessory GYTR® Power Tuner lets owners adjust air/fuel mixture and ignition timing maps to match engine performance characteristics to the rider and track conditions in a matter of seconds with the push of a few buttons.
2014 Yamaha YZ450F Total Motorcycle Features and Benefits
• The design goals for the new 2014 YZ450F are a balance of easy cornering, a lightweight & compact feeling due to excellent mass centralization and a deep, useable power band.
• Revised, “”reversed”” liquid-cooled, 450cc, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), 4-stroke, single with fuel injection. The engine has been tuned for excellent “”ride-ability and controllability”” and delivers a broad power band with “deeper power” in the higher rpm range.
• Unique engine design features a rearward slanting cylinder that is “”reversed”” compared to traditional designs. The revised FI throttle body and air box are front mounted and provide a straight intake path, while the exhaust exits from the rear of the cylinder. This design is used to centralize mass for excellent handling and a light feeling. The other major benefit is the straight shot intake system which maximizes power output. The engine is slanted 7.5 degrees rearward.
• The “”reversed”” design allows for a straight intake path into the cylinder, providing maximum intake flow and efficiency for excellent power. The front positioned intake means that engine heat will have less “”heating effect”” on the incoming fuel charge (cooler fuel helps increase power).
• Revised DOHC, 4-valve cylinder head features a number of improvements for 2014. The shape of the intake and exhaust ports have been revised, the valve sizes have been increased and the intake cam timing has been modified.
• Compact, 4-valve cylinder head design, features a 12.5:1 compression ratio. The intake valves are 37mm in diameter (up from 36mm) while the exhaust valves are 30.5 mm (up from 30mm), for optimum flow and improved power.
• Lightweight titanium valves (intake & exhaust) and load-reduced oval valve springs reduce reciprocating mass for less friction, faster-revving and a smoother-hitting power delivery across the rev range.
• Automatic cam chain tensioner reduces maintenance while special cam chain “”sliders”” reduce internal frictional losses.
• High performance, light weight hollow intake and exhaust camshafts. The intake cam timing has been revised to reduce the valve overlap interval for improved power.
• The lightweight aluminum cylinder features a ceramic composite coating applied directly to the aluminum, eliminating the need for a liner or sleeve. The ceramic coating insures faster, more uniform heat dissipation, reduced friction and a longer service life.
• The cylinder is “”offset”” relative to the crankshaft to reduce frictional losses between the piston and the cylinder wall during the power stroke.
• Special cylinder design features cutaways that allow the air “”trapped”” under the piston to enter a side chamber (or cutaway) to reduce horsepower-robbing “”pumping losses.””
• The crankcase also utilizes cutaways to reduce “”pumping losses””. The crankcase cutaways match the cutaways in the cylinder for maximum efficiency.
• Revised, lightweight, short-skirt, forged aluminum piston features a new piston top design for improved combustion efficiency and a new surface treatment on the piston skirt to reduce friction. The benefit is improved engine performance.
• Piston oil cooler utilizes a pinpoint nozzle that directs oil to the desired portion of the cylinder and underside of the piston, which reduces piston, cylinder and rod temperatures for excellent durability.
• Lightweight gear driven counterbalancer shaft reduces vibration for improved rider comfort and less rider fatigue.
• The new crankcase features the existing tri-axis layout for the crank, main and drive axles. This tri-axis design keeps the crankcase more compact while also centralizing mass for excellent handling. All of the shafts are positioned low in the cases to maintain a low centre of gravity.
• New 5-speed transmission features many improvements. The primary reduction ratio (’14 = 60/23 Vs. ‘13 = 61/23) and 3rd gear ratio (’14 = 26/20 Vs. ’13 = 23/18) have been changed as well as the shifting mechanism. The drive and main axles have been changed and the shape of the 3rd pinion gear and the 5th wheel gear are also changed. The benefit is a transmission well matched to engine output and reduced “driving force” losses.
• New shift system features a revised shifter pedal, a thicker 14mm shift shaft (’13 = 12mm), new 2-bar shift guide system with separate forks and a new bearing on the stopper lever roller . The benefit is smooth, positive shifts and improved durability.
• 5-speed transmission optimizes engine performance. This 5-speed transmission provides great performance and makes the YZ450F very versatile for MX, Hare Scrambles, Super Moto, Ice Racing and Enduro applications.
• Heavy duty multi-plate (wet) clutch features optimized friction plates and new, stronger clutch springs to match the new engine output. Revised clutch cable features integrated silicone grease in the cable and a Teflon liner for smooth cable operation.
• Quick-access, lightweight magnesium outer clutch cover for fast, easy clutch maintenance.
• Revised Keihin 44mm throttle body fuel injection system is a battery-less design. The 12-hole injector maximizes fuel atomization for more complete combustion and excellent power delivery. The benefits of fuel injection include constant ongoing adjustments to insure the optimum fuel – air ratio regardless of outside air temperature and altitude. Other benefits include improved starting and improved throttle response. The system is equipped a throttle position sensor (TPS), plus a range of sensors (engine temp, outside air temp, gear position, etc.). There is a cold start knob which also doubles as an idle adjuster too.
• The injector spray pattern, spray direction and the distance to the intake valves have been optimized, while the specially designed straight intake tract helps to maximize the benefits of the FI system and overall power output.
• Optional, compact, hand held “”YZ Power Tuner”” allows tailoring of both fuel injection settings and ignition mapping. Nine (9) different setting points can be accessed for both the FI map and the ignition map. Maps can be stored and shared with other Power Tuners if desired.
• Completely redesigned forward mounted air box features increased capacity, a new “solid type” air filter and a new intake boot between the air box and the throttle body. The benefits are increased performance, reduced weight, fewer parts and easier air cleaner access & servicing.
• Washable, dual-stage, foam air filter is easily accessible without removing the seat.
• All new wet sump lubrication system. New design crankcases eliminate the integrated dry sump oil tank, oil pump idle gear and scavenging rotor found on the 2013 model. This new wet sump system reduces weight, allows for more compact engine cases and eases maintenance.
• Oil volume in the engine has been optimized (0.95 L) to reduce weight and oil drag related power losses. Note: oil change intervals have been reduced (shortened) versus the ’13 model.
• Compact, lightweight in-tank electric fuel pump.
• Maintenance-free transistor-controlled digital ignition (TCI) ensures fast starts and great performance at all rpms.
• High capacity ACM (alternating current magneto) is used to eliminate the need for a battery.
• Automatic decompression system ensures easy starts in any gear.
• Completely redesigned exhaust system. The header pipe exits from the rear of the engine and then winds its way around the cylinder body (clockwise direction) before turning to the rear of the bike. This design ensures the optimum tuned header length, maximizes the exhaust ”pulse effect” and centralizes mass. The header pipe diameter has been optimized to match engine output while the muffler has been positioned further forward (does not extend as far back) compared to last year, for mass centralization and a more compact design.
• Re-packable lightweight aluminum / stainless steel muffler (aka silencer) sound output is 94dba to meet the current AMA and CMRC sound regulations. Muffler disassembly has been simplified with the use of allen bolts instead of rivets.
• Compact, lightweight, single core, dual radiators provide outstanding cooling efficiency. New, lighter plastic water pump impeller.
• Revised, re-located, compact ECU utilizes new fuel injection mapping and ignition mapping for improved engine power.
• Special “”G”” sensor system will shut down the fuel injection system if the bike lies on its side for more than 10 seconds to help prevent costly engine damage. There is no special procedure to re-start the bike … just kick it and go.
• Works-style race-spec “”barrel adjuster”” for on-the-fly clutch lever free play adjustments.
• Easy access oil filter.
• New, compact “”Bilateral Beam”” aluminum frame centralizes mass for exceptional handling. This new frame is similar to the 2013 design but in a down-sized layout. The head pipe has been moved 10mm closer to the rider providing a more compact layout. The benefit of this new frame is reduced weight, improved rigidity balance and a more compact design.
• The frame is made up of forged, cast and extruded aluminum parts providing outstanding strength, optimum rigidity balance and shock absorbing qualities that contribute to exceptional cornering. This frame is compact and offers excellent “”rider – machine communication”” (a.k.a. feedback). The engineers have optimized the balance between strength, rigidity and flex. The key goal of the chassis is faster and easier cornering … one of the main keys to winning races.
• Lightweight, tapered aluminum swingarm is produced using “”hydro forming””, a special method that uses high pressure liquid to form shapes. The swingarm pivot shaft is 17mm. The chain puller notches have been revised for ease of use.
• Lightweight detachable rear sub frame is constructed of square-section, lightweight aluminum pipe with no bends. The detachable design allows easy access when servicing rear suspension components.
• Revised, more rigid cast aluminum upper triple clamp. The handle bar clamps are rubber mounted for improved rider comfort.
• Adjustable handlebar clamps offer a total of 4 different handlebar positions with an adjustment range of 30mm, to suit a wide variety of riders.
• Revised 48mm, adjustable, inverted, Kayaba cartridge fork offers 310mm (12.2″”) of wheel travel. The diameter of the outer tubes has been increased for improved rigidity while the surface treatment on the inner tubes has been changed for smoother performance. Settings have been revised to accommodate the new frame.
• The fork features a twin-chamber, “”Speed Sensitive System”” design meaning the damper unit is in a separate structure which prevents aerated fork oil from entering the inner damper assembly and reducing its damping abilities. Since the inner damper is pressurized, it also eliminates bubbles forming in the oil.
• Front fork adjustments include: 20-way compression damping and 20-way rebound damping. Optional fork springs are available through Genuine Yamaha parts.
• The 48mm inverted KYB fork also features a Transfer Control Valve (TCV). The TCV enhances the damping force from mid to full stroke and improves bottoming characteristics. The benefit of TCV is more precise control throughout the full suspension stroke. The TCV is located on the upside of the spring and its function is controlled by piston speed, not piston position … hence the term “”Speed Sensitive System fork””.
• Large “”wrap-around”” plastic fork protectors provide excellent lower fork tube protection. The “”self-supporting”” design reduces friction for smoother fork operation.
• Revised Monocross link rear suspension system features a fully adjustable, large capacity, Kayaba piggyback shock which provides 315mm (12.4″”) of wheel travel and features separate adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping. The shock is in-line with the center axis of the bike for excellent control. The shock’s remote gas reservoir has been relocated to accommodate the new fuel tank location and exhaust layout. Shock adjustments include: spring preload, 30-way rebound damping, 20-way low-speed compression damping and 2 turns of high speed compression damping.
• 250mm floating front wave-style disc reduces weight, improves cooling and adds style too. The disc is squeezed by a compact Nissin twin piston caliper fitted with lightweight aluminum pistons.
• “”Shorty style”” adjustable front brake lever can be adjusted to fit various hand sizes.
• 245mm rear disc brake features a “”wave-style”” disc. The rear disc is squeezed by a single piston compact Nissin caliper.
• Lightweight, compact, integrated Nissin rear master cylinder (fluid reservoir is integrated into the top of the master cylinder) provides strong stopping power with excellent feel and control.
• The rear caliper and the lower portion of the wave disc are protected by heavy duty plastic protectors.
• All new, lightweight, plastic resin 7.5 litre fuel tank is located under the seat (further rearward than on the ’13 model), once again reducing the centre of gravity and centralizing mass for exceptional handling performance. The fuel tank is able to pivot p backwards 180 degrees (flip onto its back) without disconnecting the fuel line for easier servicing under the tank.
• The fuel filler “access panel” … aka “cover cap” is located at the front of the seat. There is no fuel cap visible with this design.
• All new compact body work reduces weight and enhances the lightweight feel and look of the YZ450F. This “”minimal design”” bodywork allows for fast, easy rider movements. New components include air box cover, tank, seat, side panels and rear fender. The minimal design aids in keeping the body looking good throughout the life of the machine.
• New graphics are impregnated directly into the plastic rad shrouds. They will not peel off or get damaged by pressure washing.
• The new seat design is flat for easy rider movements and features a “cover cap” to access the fuel cap. There is no fuel cap visible with this design. The fuel filler “cap cover” snaps into place, via grommets. The non-slip seat cover material resists clogging with dirt or mud to ensure long lasting good looks.
• Rugged, 21″” front and 19″” rear Excel rims provide exceptional durability and help reduce unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance and handling.
• Revised 22mm front axle (up from 20mm) increases overall front end rigidity.
• Large 25mm rear axle and a hub design which features a second bearing on the sprocket side for increased rigidity and durability.
• Premium Dunlop Geomax MX51 tires.
• Convenient oil level sight glass window
• Lightweight, extra wide foot pegs provide excellent grip and ground clearance.
• Folding shift lever tip helps prevent damage.
• Lightweight chain guide / support helps reduce chance of chain derailment and also helps protect the rear sprocket.
• Heavy duty DID 520 drive chain with lightweight Sun Star rear sprocket
• Heavy duty rubber swingarm protector
• Easy access Power Tuner and Yamaha Diagnostic tool connectors
• E10 friendly fuel system components
• “In-mold graphics” technology is a method in which the graphics are molded into the radiator shrouds for improved decal durability and reduced scratches.
• Riders have a choice of two color options: Team Yamaha Blue/ White or White/Red.
2014 Yamaha YZ450F – Total Motorcycle USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $8,490 (Team Yamaha Blue/White) Available from June 2013; $8,490 (White/Red) Available from June 2013
Type 449.7cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke; 4 titanium valves
Bore x Stroke 97.0 x 60.8mm
Compression Ratio 12.5:1
Fuel Delivery Yamaha Fuel Injection (YFI), Keihin® 44mm
Transmission Constant-mesh 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive Chain Drive
Suspension / Front KYB® Speed-Sensitive System, inverted fork: fully adjustable, 12.2-in travel
Suspension / Rear KYB® Fully adjustable single shock; 12.4-in travel
Brakes / Front Hydraulic single disc brake, 250mm
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic single disc brake, 245mm
Tires / Front 80/100-21 Dunlop® MX51-FA
Tires / Rear 120/80-19 Dunlop® MX51
Length 85.6 in
Width 32.5 in
Height 50.8 in
Seat Height 38.4 in
Wheelbase 58.3 in
Ground Clearance 13.2 in
Fuel Capacity 2.0 gal
Wet Weight*** 245 lb
Warranty 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)
2014 Yamaha YZ450F – Total Motorcycle Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: 9,299.00 CDN
4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), single
BORE AND STROKE
97 x 60.8 mm
Keihin 44mm throttle body F.I.
IGNITION / STARTING
TCI / Kick
Adj. 48mm, inverted fork / 310mm (12.2″) travel
Fully adj. Monocross / 315mm (12.4″) travel
250 mm, floating disc / twin piston caliper
245 mm, disc / single piston caliper
7.5 litres (1.7 Imp. gal.)
111kg (245 lb)
2014 Yamaha YZ450F – Total Motorcycle UK/Europe Specifications/Technical Details
UK/European MSRP Price: £NA.
Details to follow shortly.
2014 Yamaha YZ450F – Total Motorcycle Australian Specifications/Technical Details
AU MSRP Price: See dealer for pricing AUD
Details to follow shortly.
Specifications, features and prices to change by manufacturer without notice. All information correct as of posted date.