Click photos to enlarge. Our big, clean bike pics make great desktop wallpaper.
2016 Yamaha YZ250X Review
2016 Yamaha YZ250X on www.Totalmotorcycle.com
Following on the heels of the YZ250FX success, the YZ250X provides the serious GNCC and Enduro racer Yamaha 2-stroke performance…
THE ALL NEW ULTIMATE 2-STROKE OFF ROAD MACHINE
The YZ250X provides the serious GNCC and Enduro racer Yamaha 2-stroke performance in a lightweight, off-road package.
Cross country and enduro racing are currently experiencing increased popularity and growth. Yamaha is pleased to announce the second model in our cross country lineup … the new YZ250X. Based on the legendary YZ250 2-stroke, the new “X” version has been developed using all of Yamaha’s extensive 2-stroke knowledge to produce a model that offers a high level of performance for cross country racing. The YZ250X is a lightweight, compact machine that is both exciting to ride and affordable to own and maintain.
The YZ250X is a super light weight package that offers serious 2-stroke power. The engineers have modified the cylinder head, adjusted the compression ratio, revised the exhaust port timing and changed the gear ratios in the 5-speed transmission to better suit cross country racing. The YZ250X engine offers a good depth of power with an easy to use engine character.
/// The Extras
New cross country focused chassis features include revised suspension settings front & rear, an 18″ rear wheel for more puncture resistance, a new aluminum side stand and a new fuel petcock that offers a reserve position for peace of mind.
2016 Yamaha YZ250X www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
The new 2016 YZ250X is based on the current YZ250 2-stroke with the following additional features that enhance its competitiveness for cross country or enduro type racing / riding.
•Revised engine tuning characteristics (head, ignition, porting & YPVS)
• Revised transmission gear ratios
•New expansion chamber shape
•Revised front & rear suspension settings
•New 18″ rear wheel
• New aluminum side stand
• New on-off-reserve fuel petcock
2016 Yamaha YZ250X www.Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
• Revised, liquid-cooled, 249cc, piston-reed-valve-inducted, 2-stroke engine is both lightweight and compact. It is also quite simple to maintain or repair versus a modern 4-stroke.
• Revised cylinder head volume with new 7.9:1 compression ratio
• Ceramic composite cylinder bore is a “liner less” design with the ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block. The benefits include reduced weight (no heavy iron liner), reduced friction, extended cylinder life and excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery.
• Revised exhaust port (main) size & timing for optimum cross country / enduro performance
• Revised YPVS power valve system features a total of three slides (one main and two auxiliary slides) which provides the benefits of both solid, low rpm power delivery combined with a strong top-end punch. The YPVS system varies the exhaust port height and timing based on engine rpm. Changes for 2016 include a wider actuation rpm and new valve shape for a broader power band more suited to cross country & enduro type racing or riding.
• Keihin PWK38S carburetor with power jet and throttle position sensor (TPS) ensures precise fuel/air mixing and extra-crisp throttle response throughout the powerband.
• Special-design, 4-petal, carbon fiber reeds provide great throttle response and engine performance across the entire RPM range.
• Revised, smooth-shifting, 5-speed, transmission with heavy-duty, multi-plate wet clutch ensures optimal hook-up for outstanding acceleration and corner-exiting power. Transmission shafts utilize involute splines for smooth, positive shifting even under power. 3rd, 4th & 5th gears ratios are wider for better performance in cross country or enduro type racing or riding.
• Revised internal shift mechanism for smoother shifting even in difficult situations
• Revised clutch features a reduction in spring load (easier clutch pull) for less wrist & hand fatigue during a long event.
• Quick-access, outer clutch cover allows for fast, easy clutch maintenance.
• Trick, works-style clutch lever features a race-spec “barrel adjuster” for on-the-fly clutch adjustments. Lever position can now be set to rider’s preference.
• Revised CD (capacitor discharge) ignition system features new timing specs to ensure optimal timing for faster, stronger response across the rpm range.
• Washable, dual-stage, foam air filter reduces maintenance costs.
• Large-capacity, dual radiators feature a 10-row core to deliver maximum cooling efficiency.
• Revised expansion chamber features a slimmer head pipe design for increased protection. The lightweight, aluminum silencer is rebuildable so performance can be maintained at the optimum level and noise levels can be controlled. Noise output is 94 dB.
• Lightweight, aluminum, semi-double-cradle style frame. The obvious benefit of an aluminum frame is a significant reduction in overall machine weight. Yamaha has maintained the semi-double cradle design because it offers an excellent balance between stiff lateral and torsional rigidity while offering more controlled flex in the longitudinal plane. This frame design offers the ideal “rigidity balance” which means it offers the flexibility of a steel frame with the lighter weight of an aluminum frame. This frame provides stiffness where it is required and controlled flexibility in other areas. The result is a super light aluminum frame, which provides excellent handling, good ride quality, excellent stability and responsive cornering performance.
• Removable rear subframe is constructed of square-section, lightweight aluminum pipe. Detachable design allows easy access when servicing rear suspension components.
• Lightweight, tapered, aluminum swingarm is produced using “hydro forming”, a special forming method that uses high pressure water to form shapes.
• Cast aluminum upper and forged lower triple clamps provide both lightweight and strength for fast, precise handling.
• Adjustable handlebar mounts allow the handlebars to be moved 10mm rearward if desired.
• Revised, “Speed Sensitive System” 48mm, adjustable, inverted, Kayaba cartridge fork features a twin-chamber design. The twin chamber design means the damper unit is in a separate structure which prevents aerated fork oil from entering the inner damper assembly and degrading its damping abilities. Since the inner damper is pressurized, it also eliminates bubbles forming in the oil. The Speed Sensitive System design means the damping force is controlled by the piston speed in the fork, not its position.
• This fork also features a Transfer Control Valve (TCV) . The TCV enhances the damping force of the inner damper from mid stroke to full stroke and improves bottoming characteristics. The benefit of TCV is more precise control throughout the full stroke range.
• Kashima coating on the fork tubes reduce friction for smoother suspension performance. Low friction oil seals also provide reduced stiction for a smoother stroke. Front wheel travel is 300mm (11.8″).
• Revised fork damping setting are optimized for cross country / enduro racing or riding
• Front fork adjustments include: 20-way compression damping and 20-way rebound damping. Optional fork springs are available through Genuine Yamaha parts.
• Large, “wrap-around” plastic fork protectors provide excellent protection from dirt, mud and stone chips. The “self-supporting” design reduces friction for smoother fork operation.
• Revised, Monocross link rear suspension features a fully adjustable, Kayaba, piggyback shock which provides 315mm (12.4″) of wheel travel and features separate adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping. Adjustments include: spring preload, 20-way rebound damping, 20-way low-speed compression damping and 2 turns of high speed compression damping. The damper rod is 18mm in diameter, while Kashima coating is used in the shock body and sub tank to reduce friction and improve suspension performance. The Kayaba shock utilizes a full rebound oil lock system for excellent suspension function and great ride quality.
• Revised shock damping setting are optimized for cross country / enduro racing or riding
• 250mm floating front disc brake with Nissin twin piston caliper features a “wave” style rotor (disc) which reduces weight and improves heat dissipation. Braking performance is excellent with great feel and control.
• “Shorty” style front brake lever is adjustable to fit various hand sizes.
• 245mm rear disc brake with wave style rotor and single piston caliper
• The rear brake caliper features a rugged plastic caliper protector, while the lower edge of the disc is protected by a lower disc guard.
• “Sun Star” rear sprocket increases the contact area between the sprocket and chain rollers, thereby reducing the load on the chain and increasing the service life of both chain and sprocket.
• New sealed O ring chain for excellent durability
• Lightweight, 21″ front and 18″ rear Excel rims provide exceptional durability and help reduce unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance and handling.
• Large, 8 litre plastic resin fuel tank features a new on – off – reserve fuel petcock for extra peace of mind. Reserve amount is approximately 2 litres.
• Aggressive, minimal body design provides a light weight feeling. The minimal design keeps the body looking good for an extended period of time.
• New lightweight aluminum side stand.
• Dunlop AT81 tires
• “Flat-design” seat features multi density foam that provides good initial softness / comfort and then increases the firmness as more pressure is applied. The “pebble” finish on the top and side surfaces provides good rider grip and durability.
• Seat, handlebar and fuel tank ergonomics provide excellent freedom of movement for the rider.
• Lightweight YZ250F/450F based wide footpegs provide excellent grip and ground clearance.
• Rugged chain guide helps prevent the chain from de-railing and also helps to protect the rear sprocket.
• Serrated rear brake lever and folding shift lever tips offer superb grip and exceptional durability.
• Stainless steel, inner clutch cable provides excellent strength, smooth action and long life.
• Heavy-duty “O” ring chain.
• E10 friendly fuel system components
2016 Yamaha YZ250X – www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $7,390 – Team Yamaha Blue/White – Available from August 2015
Engine Type 249cc liquid-cooled 2-stroke; reed-valve inducted
Bore x Stroke 66.4mm Ã— 72.0mm
Compression Ratio 7.9~9.4:1
Fuel Delivery Keihin® PWK38S
Transmission Constant mesh 5-speed, multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive Chain
Suspension / Front KYB® Speed-Sensitive System inverted fork;
fully adjustable, 11.8-in travel
Suspension / Rear KYB® Monoshock; fully adjustable, 12.4-in
Brakes / Front Hydraulic single disc brake, 250mm
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic single disc brake, 245mm
Tires / Front 90/90-21 Dunlop® AT81F
Tires / Rear 110/100-18 Dunlop® AT81
L x W x H 86.0 in x 32.5 in x 50.8 in
Seat Height 38.2 in
Wheelbase 58.5 in
Ground Clearance 14.2 in
Fuel Capacity N/A
Wet Weight*** 229 lb
Warranty 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Team Yamaha Blue/White
** Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha.
Your actual mileage will vary depending on road conditions, how you ride and maintain your vehicle,
accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
*** Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as
applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is
useful in making real-world comparisons with other models.
2016 Yamaha YZ250X – www.Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: $7899 CDN
2-stroke, liquid-cooled, reed-valve, single
BORE AND STROKE
66.4 x 72 mm
IGNITION / STARTING
CDI / Kick
1st gear 1.929 (27/14)
2nd gear 1.533 (23/15)
3rd gear 1.313 (21/16)
4th gear 1.050 (21/20)
5th gear 0.840 (21/25)
“O” ring chain
Adjustable 48 mm inverted fork / 300 mm (11.8″) travel
Fully adjustable link Monocross / 315 mm (12.4″) travel
250 mm floating disc / twin piston caliper
245 mm disc / single piston caliper
/// CRITICAL DATA
2,184 mm (86″)
827 mm (32.6”)
1,288 mm (50.7”)
1,483 mm (58.4”)
367 mm (14.4″)
971 mm (38.2”)
8 litres (1.8 imp. gallons)
104 kg (229 lbs)
Specifications, appearance, and price of product are subject to change without notice.
* MSRP does not include freight, PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection), pre-rigging (boats), or taxes. Dealer may sell for less. See your local dealer for out the door pricing.
± Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha and converted into Canadian measurements. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road condition, how you ride, maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
2016 Yamaha YZ250X – www.Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Europe/UK MSRP Price: See Dealer for pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Model Not Available in Europe
*Starting at MSRP is the manufactured suggested price and excludes delivery, setup, tax, title, license, and additional fees and expenses. Bikes may be shown with optional accessories. Final sale price determined by an authorized dealer. Specifications and MSRP are subject to change.
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).