Introducing the 2024 Honda CRF450X…
When you discover the Honda CRF450X, you’ve found the deceivingly similar-looking cousin to the CRF450R motocrosser, but specifically designed for off-road and cross-country competitions like the renowned Baja 1000 and WORCs racing series. While sharing the impressive Unicam® engine architecture with the “R” model, the CRF450X takes it up a notch with a wide-ratio six-speed transmission, off-road-tailored chassis, and a host of specialized features. Picture an 18-inch rear wheel for improved tire choice, standard sidestand and hand guards, unique ECU and fuel-injection settings, larger fuel tank, durable skid plate, and more. No matter where your off-road adventures take you, the CRF450X guarantees the ultimate off-road experience, unleashing power and conquering trails like no other. And to top it all off, it’s California Green-Sticker compliant!
Prevailing time and time again in one of the most formidable off-road races in the world, the CRF450X has a near-perfect record in the legendary Baja 1000. Most recently, the SLR Honda Team of Mark Samuels, Justin Morgan and Kendall Norman captured the win in the 2022 edition of the race. Also campaigned in the AMA NHHA series by JCR Honda rider Preston Campbell, the CRF450X is an excellent trail machine, thanks in part to its 50-state year-round off-road-legal status, plus off-road appropriate features like a side stand, 18-inch rear wheel, headlight, sealed chain and six-speed transmission.
2024 Honda CRF450X Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- Lightweight, protective handguards defend against shrubbery when riding down tight trails or wood sections
- Lightweight, 2.0 gallon titanium fuel tank enables extended rides
- Aluminum side stand facilitates trailside stops
- 18-inch rear wheel enables tall tire sidewall for optimum traction in technical conditions
- Lightweight, compact digital meter with black characters on a white liquid-crystal background is easily legible while riding
- Off-road-ready, emissions-compliant muffler with spark arrestor
- California green sticker legal
- Endless sealed chain withstands the elements
- Lightweight, compact halogen headlight and LED taillight extend riding time
- 450cc liquid-cooled Unicam® single-cylinder engine
- Fuel injection
- Electric starter
- Twin-sump lubrication
- Twin-spar aluminum frame
- 21-inch front/18-inch rear wheels
- Six-speed transmission
- Lithium-ion battery
American Honda Announces Return of Championship-Winning CRF Models
- CRF Performance lineup returns for 2024 with nine great models
- Four-model CRF Trail family is back, ready to deliver off-road fun
- Sport-naked CB300R and Pioneer 700 multipurpose side-by-side return
Following one of the most successful AMA Supercross seasons on record, with Team Honda HRC riders Chase Sexton, Hunter Lawrence and Jett Lawrence sweeping all three championships, Honda’s iconic line of CRF Performance and Trail dirt bikes returns for the 2024 model year. Also included in the announcement is the return of the sport-naked CB300R and Pioneer 700 multipurpose side-by-side.
Between the CRF Performance and CRF Trail lineups, Honda offers a wide range of off-road motorcycles that covers nearly every category, from elite-level motocross to family-friendly trail riding. The CRF Performance line includes the CRF450R, CRF450RWE, CRF450R-S, CRF450RX, CRF450X, CRF450RL, CRF250R, CRF250RX and CRF150R, each of which are tailored to push the upper limits in its respective realm of off-road riding and racing. For riders seeking a more relaxed or beginner-friendly experience, the CRF Trail family—including the CRF250F, CRF125F, CRF110F and CRF50F—offer user-friendly design, unmatched reliability, ease of maintenance and hours of fun. In addition to the CRF models, the agile and responsive CB300R brings signature sport-naked styling for 2024, and rounding out the announcement is the middleweight Pioneer 700, a multipurpose side-by-side known for its endless versatility and capability.
“It’s been an unprecedented year for Honda and the CRF Performance line,” said Brandon Wilson, American Honda Manager of Sports & Experiential. “Team Honda HRC has done an incredible job of showcasing just how capable Honda’s dirt bikes are. The knowledge gained from our championship-winning racing efforts trickles down to every model in the lineup, and even to the fun, friendly CRF Trail models, helping owners to make outdoor memories with family and friends.
We’re also pleased to welcome back the CB300R and the Pioneer 700 for 2024. We’re proud to deliver this diverse and capable range of products, offering customers numerous ways to enjoy the outdoors.”
2024 Honda CRF450X Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
ENGINE / DRIVETRAIN
- 449.7cc Unicam® engine specially tailored for off-road riding
- Finger rocker arm contributes to compact layout, while its dedicated design attains off-road-appropriate power characteristics. DLC surface treatment reduces friction
- Dedicated valve timing for smooth power delivery in technical riding
- High crank inertia (up 12% over CRF450R) for tractable power delivery in technical terrain
- 12.0:1 compression ratio
- Piston with three-ring design
- Wide-ratio six-speed transmission is ready for a wide variety of off-road terrain. Construction from high-strength material ensures durability in demanding conditions
- Special clutch design enables light lever pull. Primary damper mechanism with friction springs suppresses engine torque fluctuations for smooth running
- Large-capacity radiators with high heat-exchange efficiency for strong performance in demanding off-road conditions
- ECU with dedicated settings
- Specially developed exhaust system with optimized pipe length and diameter for excellent responsiveness at low rpm
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION
- Aluminum twin-spar frame designed for nimble yet stable handling on trails
- 49mm Showa fork with dedicated settings for challenging terrain
- CRF450R-inspired front brake but with dedicated master cylinder and hose for off-road-appropriate braking performance
- Lightweight lithium-ion battery with increased capacity compared to CRF450R, to power lighting
- Front and rear sprockets feature damper system for smooth, quiet running
- Fuel-tank cap with cut-off valve prevents fuel from flowing out of tank if the bike is on its side
- Easily accessible electronic component box on left side of frame
- Gray metallic Renthal handlebar with red pad
- Compact, lightweight handlebar switches
- In-mold graphics last long and are resistant to peeling caused by washing or abrasion
- Fork protectors are shaped to prevent damage in off-road riding
- Dunlop MX52 tires provide excellent traction and feel in wide range of conditions
WIDE-RATIO SIX-SPEED TRANSMISSION
Having six speeds in the CRF450X’s transmission compared to an MX bike’s typical five gives you more choice, and makes this versatile bike even more versatile. You have a gear for everything from east-coast rock crawling to wide-open Baja blasts.
Light, compact, and offering excellent performance—just like the CRF450X itself! Conventional batteries are heavy, but not this premium piece. It’s all part of why your new CRF450X performs as well as it does.
The CRF450X gets a special crankshaft, different from our CRF450R MX bikes and our CRF450RL dual-sport. This is because the crank’s weight and inertial character make a huge difference in how a bike delivers power. A crank is expensive, but it’s no place to scrimp and try to save—with the CRF450X, power delivery is just what you want.
The CRF450X’s dual radiators feature a refined core area for superior heat dissipation compared with conventional dual-radiator designs. A coolant recovery tank is located in front of the engine between the frame downtubes for improved center of gravity, and the tank is protected by a plastic skid plate.
TITANIUM FUEL TANK
Holding 2.0 gallons, the CRF450X’s premium titanium tank is light and tough.
The CRF450X’s factory skid plate is light, yet also offers the engine and lower-frame protection serious riders demand on a machine like this.
Your CRF450X comes equipped with a complete lighting package (headlight and taillight) for riding at dusk.
An electric start system ensures trouble-free starting in all conditions. The electric starter also drives the clutch side of the crankshaft, which provides superior lubrication to starter gears while allowing a narrow engine with a short, strong crank.
450cc UNICAM® ENGINE
Our Honda Unicam® cylinder heads combine the best of single- and double-overhead-cam designs. The configuration contributes to a compact engine that saves weight over a comparable dual-overhead-camshaft motor and also permits a narrow included valve angle. This flattens the combustion chamber to facilitate ignition flame propagation, allowing a high compression ratio. Since less space is taken up in the cylinder head, the camshaft sits lower in the head for a more compact engine and a lower center of gravity.
The CRF450X features our proven fuel-injection system. It’s part of the reason the CRF450X offers such excellent torque and spot-on metering and response, especially in the critical low-rpm range. It also automatically compensates for elevation and weather changes.
TITANIUM INTAKE AND EXHAUST VALVES
Lightweight titanium intake and exhaust valves permit use of smaller valve springs, reducing overall engine height.
CALIFORNIA GREEN-STICKER COMPLIANT
For California riders, the CRF450X offers a huge advantage: since it’s Green-Sticker compliant, you can ride it off-road year-round in any open OHV area.
The CRF450X uses a twin-spar aluminum chassis that takes advantage of all the lessons we’ve learned on the MX track and from winning countless Bajas. The frame is both light and stiff, and provides the basis for the CRF450X’s excellent handling. The chassis is also wider than the standard MX frame to accommodate the six-speed transmission.
DUNLOP MX52 TIRES
The CRF450X’s Dunlop MX52 tires give you good off-road traction in a wide variety of terrain and conditions. Tires are always a critical part of any on/off-road bike, and we’ve hooked you up with some great ones here.
LOW CENTER OF GRAVITY
The compact Unicam® engine and our famous concentration on center-of-mass engineering help keep the CRF450X’s center of gravity low. That means the bike feels lighter, and it helps handling too.
WORKS-STYLE FRONT BRAKE
Compact twin-piston front brake caliper, anodized-aluminum brake pistons and lightweight 260mm front disc offer great stopping power while minimizing unsprung weight for improved turning and handling.
WORKS-STYLE REAR BRAKE
HRC works-type rear brake system uses a 240mm brake rotor to its integrated rear master-cylinder and fluid reservoir, a set-up that eliminates the separate reservoir and hose.
18-INCH REAR WHEEL
The CRF450X’s 18-inch rear wheel gives you an excellent choice of off-road tires. Plus, the black DID rims look great too.
Exclusively designed for the off-road rider and manufactured to Honda standards, they help protect you from rocks, branches, thorns and brush. Plus, it gives your CRF450X that “finished” look, right from the start.
The gear-driven counterbalancer reduces vibration and drives the water pump.
WORKS MX STYLING
The “X” graphics may remind you of our MX bikes because they’re derived from them—the smooth bodywork makes it easy to move around, and the in-mold graphics not only look cool but are durable, too.
Placing the rider’s legs at the narrowest part of the frame helps improve comfort and handling.
A sidestand may seem like no big thing, but take a look at the one the CRF450X uses. Tucked up high and out of the way, this forged alloy piece is just another example of how the CRF450X gets it right.
FUEL MILEAGE METER
An important feature for planning gas stops and calculating your bike’s range under varying conditions, the Fuel Mileage Meter shows current fuel mileage and average fuel mileage as well as fuel consumption. Displays in either miles or kilometers, and applies to both the A and B tripmeters. The Fuel Mileage Meter is in the same digital instrument display as the speedometer, odometer, tripmeters and digital clock.
2024 Honda CRF450X – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $9,899 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $ NA CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ NA GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
|Type||449.7cc liquid-cooled 10º single-cylinder four-stroke|
|Valve Train||Unicam® OHC, four-valve|
|Bore x Stroke||96.0mm x 62.1mm|
|Induction||Programmed fuel-injection system (PGM-FI); 46mm throttle bore|
|Starter||Push-button electric starter|
|Transmission||6-speed wide ratio; manual|
|Clutch||Multiplate wet (6 springs)|
|Final Drive||#520 sealed chain; 13T/51T|
|Front||49mm fully adjustable leading-axle inverted telescopic Showa coil-spring fork w/ 12.0 in. travel|
|Rear||Pro-Link system; fully adjustable Showa single shock w/ 11.8 in. wheel travel|
|Front||Single 2-piston hydraulic caliper w/ 260mm disc|
|Rear||Single 2-piston hydraulic caliper w/ 240mm disc|
|Front||Dunlop Geomax MX52 80/100-21 w/ tube|
|Rear||Dunlop Geomax MX52 110/100-18 w/ tube|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||27.6º|
|Trail||143mm (5.6 in)|
|Ground Clearance||13.1 in.|
|Seat Height||37.9 in.|
|Fuel Capacity||2.0 gal.|
|Curb Weight*||275 lbs.|
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride
Specifications subject to change
2024 Honda CRF450X – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
2024 Honda CRF450X – Totalmotorcycle.com Europe Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).