Introducing the 2024 Kawasaki KLX230SM ABS…
The KLX230SM ABS shares many of the same new features, including new KX-inspired styling, smartphone connectivity via RIDEOLOGY THE APP, updated seat, and receives a new compact LED headlight that brings even more capability and riding enjoyment.
First introduced in 2020, the KLX230 motorcycle has been a trailblazer in the world of off-road fun, purpose-built for serious dirt enthusiasts. Both its engine and frame were meticulously designed for trail riding, earning it a devoted fan base with its brisk engine performance and sure-footed ability to conquer diverse terrains. For 2024, the KLX230 series returns with updates aimed at elevating performance and taking comfort to new heights.
At the heart of these new models is the 233cc fuel-injected, air-cooled, 4-stroke engine, offering strong low-to-mid-range response for enhanced off-road performance. The key update for 2024 lies in the chassis, specifically the revised rear subframe that allows for longer wheel travel and updated seat. This innovative design maintains ground clearance while reducing seat height, providing a comfortable reach to the ground and significantly enhancing off-road riding potential and overall comfort. Redundant.
2024 Kawasaki KLX230SM ABS Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- NEW Seat with added comfort and low seat height
- NEW KX-inspired styling
- NEW Smartphone connectivity with RIDEOLOGY THE APP
- NEW Compact, bright LED Headlight
ADDITIONAL VEHICLE FEATURES:
NEW seat with added comfort and low seat height
NEW styling – shrouds, side covers, headlight cover, fuel tank, & gas cap
NEW front brake and clutch levers
NEW KX-inspired ergonomics
Powerful large-diameter petal disc brakes
NEW FOR 2024
- Narrower intake port and 4mm smaller intake valve (now 33mm) plus longer exhaust header pipe
contribute to increased low-mid range performance. Revised ECU settings match the increased lowmid range torque.
- New lower rear sub-frame design traces a lower line, enabling 2.2 inches longer rear wheel travel while
maintaining excellent reach to the ground for the rider’s feet. The seat is slightly thicker for increased
- To match the thicker seat the handlebar has been moved forward and is slightly higher, while the
footpegs were moved slightly rearward for enhanced ergonomics and better rider input.
- Revised suspension settings create a more forward-leaning posture, while the increased rear wheel
travel contributes to ride comfort.
- The rear shock now has threaded preload adjustment for more flexibility in setting the suspension to
suit rider weight or carrying a passenger.
- 1.6 degree steeper rake and 9mm shorter trail contribute to lighter handling.
- New KX-inspired ergonomics provide added freedom of movement for finding a rider’s ideal position
and aggressive updated styling. The new two-tone seat has a flatter profile, while the redesigned fuel
tank, shrouds and side covers create a single flowing, integrated surface with few protruding parts.
- New compact LED headlight in a slim front cowl offers remarkable brightness and provides sleek
- The instrument panel now provides smartphone connectivity to access instrument functions for an
enhanced user experience.
2024 Kawasaki KLX230SM ABS Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
Fortifying the KLX brand, the KLX230SM ABS motorcycle was developed utilizing the dual-purpose KLX230 platform and caters specifically to street riding. For 2024, Kawasaki introduces a revised KLX230SM ABS model, maintaining excellent street capabilities while adding updates for improved performance and comfort. Receiving the same engine, KX-inspired ergonomics and subframe upgrades as the KLX230 S, the KLX230SM ABS makes the ideal partner for conquering the urban jungle, inspiring confidence and enjoyment wherever the next road may lead.
WHEELS & BRAKES
The KLX230SM ABS motorcycle comes with 17-inch front and rear wheels, and they are wider than those found on the KLX230 to help riders navigate the roads with increased handling precision. A large 300mm semi-floating petal disc front brake with a twin-piston caliper adorns the front wheel of the motorcycle, delivering powerful stopping power and adding to the sleek supermoto looks. Like its KLX230 brethren, a 220mm disc with a single-piston caliper oversees slowing the rear.
The KLX230SM ABS comes equipped with 37mm inverted forks, adding front-end rigidity, and giving the motorcycle a sportier look. Like the KLX230 S, the KLX230SM ABS utilizes the New Uni-Trak rear linkage that aids in bump absorption, and the single rear shock absorber is adjustable for preload, allowing riders to easily make the necessary adjustments for their weight or for the weight of a passenger. For 2024, the suspension settings were revised to create a more forward-leaning posture and increase rear wheel travel, contributing to enhanced rider comfort. Since this motorcycle is built for the road, the KLX230SM ABS comes equipped with stiffer spring settings compared to the KLX230 model, that reduce the amount of travel, offering greater overall composure while in use. Since this motorcycle is geared for the streets, the off-road rider footpegs are replaced with standard footpegs with rubber pads, adding to the rider’s overall comfort.
If riders are looking to tackle the city streets in style, they need to look no further than the 2024 KLX230SM ABS. Aggressive supermoto styling can be found from the front to the rear fender on the KLX230SM ABS, including a new compact LED headlight in a slim, sharp front cowl, that is the centerpiece of the sporty front-end that is short front-to-back, giving the area a sleek overall look. The sporty front fender is matched to the 17-inch front wheel, and the blacked-out engine, frame, swingarm, handlebars and rims give the motorcycle the overall edgy, aggressive supermoto image.
Borrowing cues from the KLX230 S motorcycle, the KLX230SM ABS has a redesigned two-toned seat with a flatter silhouette and smooth bodywork for easier rider movement, and a redesigned fuel tank, shrouds and side covers into a single flowing, integrated surface emulate sharp, cutting-edge looks of the latest KX models.
KAWASAKI GENUINE ACCESSORIES
Riders can personalize their KLX230SM ABS as they see fit with numerous Kawasaki Genuine Accessories to choose from, including a skid plate, frame covers, hand covers, oversized handlebar, gold alumite rims, helmet lock, and a rear carrier.
• Long-stroke engine provides ample low-mid range torque for easy low-speed control and a strong pull at smaller throttle openings.
• Simple air-cooled. SOHC design helps ease maintenance.
• Digital Fuel Injection (DFI)(KP) helps deliver smooth, precise throttle response for increased engine control on the trail. Fuel injection also provides stable fuel delivery by automatically adjusting for air temperature and changes in altitude, which contributes to cleaner emissions.
• DFI provides consistent starting whether the engine is hot or cold, and combined with the electric starter button makes firing up the engine easy.
• ECU settings provide optimum fast-idle speed for reduced engine noise during warm-up, atmospheric correction that helps improve power delivery when riding at high altitude, and injection mapping that helps provide crisp throttle response in cold temperatures.
• Tuned exhaust contributes to the engine’s easy-to-use performance, and the tapered muffler with oval cross section helps provide a sporty image.
• Smooth-shifting six-speed transmission combined with optimized final gearing complements the engine’s low-mid range power focus to make navigating city streets easier.
• High-tensile steel perimeter frame was specifically designed to enhance trail performance for increased rider confidence.
• The frame and engine were designed together. Engine height was minimized to help create an optimal frame line for an ideal rigidity balance and precisely positioned center of gravity.
• The frame was also designed so riders can easily grip it with their legs for increased rider control and feedback. Flush seams between the shrouds, seat and side covers, combined with a relatively flat seat design, also aids rider control and help provide freedom of movement.
• Short wheelbase contributes to agile handling on the street or track.
• Rubber-covered footpegs for rider comfort.
• 37mm inverted front fork helps increase rigidity for better handling on the street or track.
• New Uni-Trak(KP) rear suspension system provides great bump absorption and helps provide a planted feel.
• Gas-pressurized single rear shock is adjustable for preload to help riders set the bike up for their weight.
• Supermoto-oriented suspension settings include stiffer springs and less travel than the long-travel suspension of the dual-purpose KLX230. The stiffer settings help provide greater composure so that the front dives less than the dual-purpose KLX230 when braking.
• Big 300mm front and 220mm rear petal disc brakes provide sure stopping power.
• 17-inch wheels and tires provide supermoto performance.
• Compact LED headlight and shroud is the centerpiece of the KLX230SM’s aggressive appearance.
• Racy front fender design contributes to the aggressive appearance.
• All-digital instrument panel has a large-display, easy-to-read LCD screen featuring speedometer, odometer, dual trip meters, fuel gauge, clock and indicator lamps.
2024 Kawasaki KLX230SM ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $5,599 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $ TBA CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ NA GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine Type 4-Stroke, Air-Cooled, SOHC, 2-Valve Single
Bore & Stroke 67.0 x 66.0 mm
Compression Ratio 9.4:1
Fuel System DFI with 32mm throttle body
Ignition TCBI with Electronic Advance
Rake/Trail 24.9°/3.0 in.
Front Wheel Travel 7.4 in.
Rear Wheel Travel 8.8 in.
Front Tire Size 110/70-17
Rear Tire Size 120/70-17
Front Suspension 37mm Telescopic Fork
Rear Suspension New Uni-Trak with Adjustable Preload
Wheelbase 53.7 in.
Front Brake Type 300mm Petal Disc
Rear Brake Type 220mm Petal Disc
Fuel Tank Capacity 2.0 gal.
Ground Clearance 8.7 in.
Seat Height 33.1 in.
Curb Weight= 299.9 lb.
Warranty 12 Month Limited
Kawasaki Protection Plus 12, 24, 36 or 48 months
(Specifications subject to change without notice.) Ask about Kawasaki Protection Plus (KPP) and the Good Times Credit Plan.
(KP) = See Kaw-Pedia section for more details.
* = Changes from previous model year.
= = Includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90% of capacity) and tool kit (if supplied).
** = Also available as a 50-state model with the last character ending in “L
2024 Kawasaki KLX230SM ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
2024 Kawasaki KLX230SM ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).