2004 Suzuki GSX-R1000
Back to 2004 Suzuki Motorcycle Model Review Page
Click photos to enlarge. Our big, clean bike pics make great desktop wallpaper.
2004 Suzuki GSX-R1000 Review
2004 Suzuki GSX-R1000
The 2004 GSX-R1000 – Own the Racetrack…
Motorcyclist magazine’s Motorcycle Of The Year for 2003 and Cycle World’s Best Superbike for ’03, the GSX-R1000 has racked up accomplishments and awards and will continue that tradition of dominance in 2004.
The GSX-R1000 is sharply styled and its fairing houses multi-reflector, vertically mounted headlights for a narrow profile, improved aerodynamics and highly effective ram air system. This narrow theme is carried throughout the machine with the slim tank and sleek tail section.
The GSX-R gauge features a white-faced stepping motor analog tachometer, digital LCD speedometer, odometer/tripmeter, clock and water temperature readouts. LEDs are also used for the turn signal, high beam, neutral and fuel level indicators. Additionally the GSX-R1000 comes equipped with a programmable engine-rpm indicator that can be used as a shift light.
Make it faster, handle better, lower it’s weight and increase it’s power. That was the mandate Suzuki gave to the 2003 Suzuki GSXR engineers and they delivered. With an increase of 2 hp (up from 160hp), a 120 Nm of torque (up from 110 Nm) and 2 kg lower in weight of 168 kg / 370 lbs (from 170 kg / 374 lbs) hard data was only part of the story. By adding four ventilation holes between the cylinders to equalize crankcase pressure beneath the pistons, moving the air intake nearer to the centerline and upgrading the engine management system from a 16-bit to a 32-bit ECU additional horsepower and torque, better throttle response had been achieved.
The Suzuki GSXR engineers also lowered the seat and overall height of the bike as well as redesigning the black frame to make it even more rigid. Not stopping there they worked on new brakes, dropping the 6-piston calipers style for new radially-mounted 4-piston calipers and new dics to save almost 1lb in weight to provide better stopping and turn-in performance.
New updates also included: A titanium exhaust system to save 1.32 lb (0.60 kg), the tail light was replaced with LEDs, new headlights were mounted vertically (to enable the ram-air intakes in the front to be placed 20 mm (0.79 in) nearer the bike’s center line) and the instruments were also redesigned.
2004 Suzuki GSX-R1000 Key Features
– Sleek bodywork includes aerodynamic front fender, front cowl with vertical headlight, inner rear fender, tail section and fuel tank- all designed for optimum aerodynamics
– Compact instrument cluster features a step-motor-driven analog tach.with rpm indicator light and digital speedometer – also includes LCD odometer-tripmeters, coolant temp., clock and EFI diagnostics
– Bright LED-type taillight and compact turn signal design
– Black-painted aluminum frame is both lightweight and rigid – features adjustable swingarm pivot (kit parts required) plus durable sub-frame design
– Braced aluminum swingarm features extruded arms internally reinforced for strength
– Fully adjustable 43mm inverted forks feature Diamond Like Carbon (DLC) coated stanchion tubes to reduce friction and improve response – includes cross-mounted steering damper
– Fully adjustable piggy-back shock absorber with an aluminum body and temperature compensating system for more consistent damping performance
– Radially-mounted four-piston front brake calipers reduce flex for strong brake performance and permit use of lightweight 300mm rotors
– Opposed-dual-piston rear brake caliper with 220mm rotor
– Lightweight cast aluminum wheels and Bridgestone radial tires.
– Compact 988cc 4-stroke, 4-cylinder, liquid-cooled engine with gear-driven counterbalancer features with unique ventilation system to equalize lower-cylinder pressure and reduce mechanical loss
– Electronic fuel injection system features the Suzuki Dual Throttle Valve System (SDTV)- maintains optimum air velocity in the intake tract for smooth low-to-mid rpm throttle response and high torque output. Includes Auto Fast Idle System (AFIS).
– Tapered, double-barrel throttle body design is simple in design with minimal weight
32-bit ECM with 22-trigger pole rpm sensor, provides precise control of ignition timing and injector operation for each cylinder
– Pulsed-air injection system (PAIR) helps reduce emissions
– Internal oil passageways feed hydraulic cam chain tensioner, eliminating external oil lines to minimize weight
– Cylinder head features a narrow 25° included valve angle, creating a compact combustion chamber, high compression ratio and a straight intake tract for high power output
– Ram-air intake ducts are located at the point of highest dynamic air pressure for maximum ram air pressure, charging efficiency and torque output
– Durable SCEM-plated cylinders house new lightweight forged pistons with low-tension rings to reduce friction
– Suzuki Exhaust Tuning System (SET) regulates exhaust back pressure in the exhaust system to suit running conditions and maintain optimum engine torque
– Titanium 4-into-2-into-1 exhaust system features larger-volume muffler to improve flow and power without increasing noise level
– Large radiator and high-capacity oil cooler provide maximum cooling
– Six-speed transmission with high-capacity 19-plate clutch
2004 Suzuki GSX-R1000 – Specifications/Technical Details
USA MSRP Price: $10,599 USD
Canadian MSRP Price: See dealer for pricing in CDN
Engine: 988cc, 4-stroke, four-cylinder, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 16-valve, TSCC
Bore Stroke: 73.0 x 59.0mm
Compression Ratio: 12.0:1
Horsepower: 164 hp (120 kW)/ 10.800 rpm
Torque: 113 Nm/ 8,400 rpm
Fuel System: Fuel Injection
Lubrication: Wet Sump
Transmission: 6-speed, constant mesh
Final Drive: #525 chain
Overall Length: 2045mm (80.5 in.)
Overall Width: 715mm (28.1 in.)
Overall Height: 1135mm (44.6 in.)
Seat Height: 830mm (32.3 in.)
Wheel Base: 1410mm (55.5 in.)
Ground Clearance: 130mm (5.1 in.)
Dry Weight: 168 kg (370 lbs.)
Suspension Front: Inverted telescopic, coil spring, fully adjustable spring preload, compression and rebound damping
Suspension Rear: Link-type, gas/oil-damped, fully adjustable spring preload, compression and rebound damping
Brakes Front: Dual hydraulic disc
Brakes Rear: Single hydraulic disc
Tires Front: 120/70-ZR-17
Tires Rear: 190/50-ZR-17
Fuel Tank Capacity: 18 liter (4.8 gal.)
Suggested Starting Price shown does not include tax, title, or destination charge. Dealer prices may vary.