2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14
Back to 2007 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14
2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14
KAWASAKI NINJA® ZX™-14: THE WORLD’S MOST POWERFUL PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE DOMINATES THE COMPETITION AT THE DRAGSTRIP AND ON THE STREET
Awesome power meets outstanding balance to deliver the ultimate ride
Dominant is a word often misused to describe products which don’t actually fulfill that promise. However, it is precisely the right word to describe Kawasaki’s Ninja® ZX™-14. Since its debut in March of 2006, this motorcycle has won every major magazine comparison test it participated in. Earning universal praise for massive torque, effortless power, stable handling and a comfortable riding position, the 1352cc Ninja ZX-14 has set the highest performance standard in the motorcycle industry.
The ZX-14 isn’t just a straight line wonder. It also excels with light, neutral handling and comfortable ergonomics which challenge dedicated sport touring motorcycles for rider comfort. Indeed, this most powerful of all Kawasaki-branded motorcycles was created to do everything right.
Just because a motorcycle has overwhelming power, doesn’t mean it has to be intimidating to ride. With electronics tuned to deliver a predictable spread of torque in low-gear/low-rpm situations, the Ninja ZX-14 inspires far more rider confidence than expected from such a powerful motorcycle. A twist of the throttle delivers a seamless spread of torque that is so linear, the “power band,” becomes irrelevant. Those that have ridden a ZX-14, marvel at a power delivery which makes it possible to pull away smoothly from a total stop in almost any gear.
The ZX-14’s chassis design is every bit the equal of its power plant. An advanced version of Kawasaki’s unique aluminum monocoque design, its frame is lightweight and very strong. By utilizing this frame technology, engineers were able to concentrate on delivering a slim, compact package.
Offering a very relaxed sport riding position, the ZX-14 is compact without being cramped, and its bars are positioned so riders don’t have to stretch to reach them. The narrow engine, monocoque frame, and fuel tank make it easy for riders to keep their knees close together in any riding conditions. Footpegs are low-set to give ample legroom and the low seat height and narrow seat front make it a cinch to plant both feet on the ground when stopped. Its comfort levels might make the rider think they are on a dedicated sport tourer, but one twist of the ZX-14’s throttle is all it takes to remind them they are on the world’s quickest, fastest and most powerful production motorcycle.
Kawasaki engineers and designers have created a motorcycle that turns its Ram Air and fuel-injected engine into the core of a powerful, torque-producing, aerodynamic stunner that will draw attention from onlookers whether on the road, or parked on the roadside.
When the rider is stopped, the motorcycle will be the center of attention. Because the monocoque frame goes over the engine and doesn’t protrude through the fairing, the fairing design lines are uninterrupted, giving it a smooth, flowing appearance from front to rear. Quadruple projector beam headlights adorn the ZX-14’s front cowl, with the outer lenses containing high beams and position lamps. Low beams are located behind the two center lenses. The turn signals are cleanly integrated into the fairing and rear cowl, and a LED tail lamp features a unique “V” design. Overall, the ZX-14’s aerodynamics remind users that Kawasaki is indeed an aircraft maker. This blending of form, power, and handling characteristics have delivered a motorcycle with appeal that extends far outside of its high performance audience.
All told, Kawasaki brought its engineering and design expertise to the forefront of motorcycle creation. The Ninja ZX-14 lives up to its Ninja heritage, and far surpasses the competition. The meaning of the word “dominant” has found its true definition.
– Distinctive Ninja® styling
– Most powerful production Kawasaki motorcycle to date
– Next generation monocoque aluminum frame
– Comfortable riding position
1,352cc Four-Cylinder, DOHC Engine
– Tuned to provide smooth power across a very wide rev range while raising Kawasaki’s legendary horsepower standards to a new level
– Carefully planned engine design keeps it compact and narrow
– Chrome composite plated aluminum cylinder bores are lightweight, durable, and quickly carry heat away from the combustion chamber and piston for supreme durability at high power outputs
Gear-Driven Dual Engine Balancers
– Already in perfect primary balance, dual secondary balancers virtually eliminate unwanted vibrations for extremely smooth engine operation and rider support
Ram Air Induction
– Central Ram Air duct produces a straighter path to the airbox for maximum intake efficiency
– This system takes cooler, high-pressure air from in front of the fairing and guides it through the air cleaner and into the engine for maximum power output
Digital Fuel Injection
– 44mm Mikuni throttle bodies are fitted with sub-throttle valves that are controlled by the ECU to provide precise response and make DFI® performance smoother, with response similar to constant velocity carburetors
– 32-bit electronic control unit works with dual throttle valve system to further enhance throttle response and control
– A digital computer feeds the engine exactly the amount of fuel it needs for cleaner emissions and maximum fuel economy
– Digital Timing Advance enhances low-and mid-range power
– Four individual spark plug-mounted ignition coils fire each spark plug independently to achieve the optimum timing for that cylinder at that instant
– ECU includes an idle speed control system for easier starting and warm-up
Radial Pump Clutch Master Cylinder
– Hydraulic clutch features a radial-pump clutch master cylinder for smooth and precise clutch engagement
Next-Generation Monocoque Aluminum Frame
– Evolved from the ZX-12R, the frame is a hollow aluminum box that arches over the engine from the steering head to the swing arm pivot. It is narrow, strong, rigid and very light
– Engine is rigidly mounted to increase the monocoque’s torsional rigidity. Plus using the engine as a stressed frame member decreases the frame’s weight by approximately four pounds
– Engine positioned forward in the frame, wheelbase and front/rear weight balance were carefully designed to achieve high-speed stability and responsive handling
– Massive head pipe casting contributes to frame rigidity
– The monocoque section houses the air box and air filter in a space-saving design that actually simplifies air cleaner maintenance. Two screws hold a plate on the left side of the frame that allows air cleaner access
– The battery is also housed within the frame and has simple access through the back side of the frame
– The steering head and swing arm pivot areas are cast aluminum for superior strength and rigidity
Inverted 43mm Cartridge Type Front Fork
– Damping rates offer stiff initial action to resist front-end dive when braking
– Stepless damping adjustment improves suspension performance
Bottom-Link Uni-Trak® Rear Suspension
– Linkage rates provide linear suspension action
– The bottom-link design concentrates the weight lower in the chassis for a lower center of gravity, which makes the motorcycle more nimble
Radial Mounted Petal Front Disc Brakes
– Radial mounted four-piston front brake calipers. Instead of mounting the calipers with threaded tabs cast near the top of the caliper, the radial design utilizes integrated mounting points at both the top and bottom of the caliper, with the mounting bolts inserted through the rear of the caliper instead of the side/front. This makes the caliper more rigid, which improves brake feel over a wider range of operation
– A separate brake pad is used for each piston. One large pad can deform with the heat generated by hard braking, resulting in a loss of brake feel at the lever. Individual pads provide increased cooling efficiency and can absorb more heat without deforming so they maintain consistent brake feel stop after stop
– Petal design brake discs provide better cooling and warp resistance
– Radial-pump front brake master cylinder improves brake performance and lever feel
– Wheel rims feature center ribs which are slightly offset so tire balance weights can be located precisely along the wheel’s centerline.
Wind Tunnel-Designed Bodywork
– Since the monocoque frame goes over the engine the fairing is uninterrupted by protruding frame spars, adding to the extremely long and low styling. Both the front and rear turn signals are integrated into the bodywork and have clear lenses to enhance the appearance
– Quadruple projector beam headlights give the ZX-14 a distinctive upper fairing. The outer lights contain position lamps and the high beams, while the low beams are in the center lamps
– Lightweight Denso radiator with high-density cores provides maximum cooling efficiency
– Dual analog speedometer and tachometer with white faces are easy to read
– Multi-function LCD digital display includes an odometer, two trip meters, fuel gauge, gear position indicator and a clock
– Programmable shift indicator lamp illuminates at pre-set rpm to signal rider upshift
– Programmable clutch engagement lamp illuminates at pre-set rpm to signal the rider to engage the clutch
– CAN (Controller Area Network) interface between the meter uses fewer wires while allowing a greater volume of information, such as estimated fuel mileage, to be exchanged
Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valve per cylinder, inline-four
Bore x stroke: 84.0 x 61.0mm
Maximum torque: 113.5 lb-ft @ 7,500 rpm
Compression ratio: 12.0:1
Fuel Injection: DFI® with 44mm Mikuni throttle bodies (4)
Ignition: TCBI with Digital Advance
Transmission: Six speed
Final drive: X-Ring chain
Rake / trail: 23 degrees / 94 mm.
Front Tire: 120/70 ZR17
Rear Tire: 190/50 ZR17
Wheelbase: 57.5 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 43mm inverted cartridge fork with adjustable preload, stepless rebound and compression damping adjustments / 4.6 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: Uni-Trak® with adjustable preload, stepless rebound and compression damping adjustments, adjustable ride height / 4.8 in.
Front Brakes: Dual floating petal discs with four-piston calipers
Rear Brakes: Single petal disc
Overall length: 85.4 in.
Overall width: 29.9 in.
Overall height: 46.1 in.
Seat height: 31.5 in.
Dry weight: 474 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 5.8 gal.
Color: Diablo Black, Candy Plasma Blue, Special Edition: Pearl Crystal White
Warranty: 12 Months