2008 Honda CRF250R
Back to 2008 Honda Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge for detail.
They make great desktop images.
– 2008 Honda CRF250R
2008 Honda CRF250R
Innovative design has made Honda’s dual-muffler CRF250R the winner of Transworld magazine’s 250cc four-stroke “Motocross Bike of the Year” for four years in a row.
The tractability of a four-stroke with the top-end rush of a two-stroke — that’s the amazing CRF250R. With its lightweight chassis and high-revving 249 cc Unicam engine, the CRF250R has an uncanny ability to get around a motocross track quickly. You can’t miss its unique dual muffler system, and we know you’ll love the new Honda Progressive Steering Damper tucked in behind the front number plate that improves stability and handling. For 2008 the CRF250R also gets engine and exhaust-system changes that boost midrange power and reduce noise, and lighter wave-style brake rotors front and rear.
Getting in and out of corners is where races are won—no question. And that‘s why, like the new CRF450R, the 2008 CRF250R features Honda‘s revolutionary new Honda Progressive Steering Damper (HPSD), improving cornering traction and stability while reducing fatigue. Add all-new works-style brake discs, power-boosting engine mods (higher compression and new cylinder-head porting), and once again, Honda proves the best can get better.
Features & Benefits
New for 2008
– New piston with 13.1:1 compression ratio
– New cylinder head porting for improved power
– New lighter-weight valve train components raise rev limit to 13,500 rpm
– New lighter counterbalancer shaft and drive gears.
– New exhaust system for more power
– New camshaft timing for added power
– Revised carburetor jetting gives smooth power delivery under all riding conditions
– Engine torque now reaches maximum at 8500 rpm.
– New clutch features judder spring for smother engagement.
– New Honda Progressive Steering Damper (HPSD). Tested by Team Honda, this lightweight, compact steering damper improves cornering ability and reduces rider fatigue.
– New fork triple clamps with 22mm offset for improved cornering.
– New Showa fork features a larger cartridge rod and new cartridge oil piston for improved oil flow and less friction, plus stiffer springs for improved mid-stroke action.
– New rear shock valving matches changes to the fork.
– New works-style front and rear brake discs reduce unsprung weight.
– New rear fender shape for improved mud protection
– New larger left-side engine guard
– New Black color (2008 special color†)
– Powerful four-stroke 249cc liquid-cooled four-valve Unicam® engine (see Technology Section).
– Lightweight titanium intake valves permit the use of smaller valve springs and reduce overall engine height.
– ACG cover, clutch cover and cylinder-head cover are made of magnesium to reduce engine weight.
– Forged 13.1:1 compression, slipper piston and rings are lighter than a conventional design, revving quickly while maintaining excellent cylinder sealing and high-rpm power.
– Lightweight, compact, internal, auto decompression system and handlebar-mounted hot-start system provide superb operation, hot or cold.
– Lightweight Nikasil cylinder lining provides cooler and quieter operation for extended engine life.
– 40mm Keihin FCR carburetor features four rollers on the flat slide, resulting in light throttle effort, smooth operation, crisp throttle response and excellent rideability.
– Carburetor features a throttle position sensor (TPS) that helps maintain a linear throttle response throughout the range and new jetting for smoother power response.
– Twin-sump lubrication system separates the oil supply for the crankshaft, piston and valve train from the clutch and transmission. This ensures a cool supply of oil to the clutch, eliminates clutch and transmission material contamination of the engine oil, and reduces the amount of circulating oil, which permits the use of a smaller oil pump.
– Dual-muffler exhaust system centralizes mass and reduces turning inertia to improve the lightweight feel of the bike.
– Dual-muffler exhaust system also increases low-rpm torque.
– Exhaust system uses a lightweight stainless header and repackable aluminum mufflers.
– Gear-driven balancer reduces vibration and drives the water pump.
– Rugged eight-disc clutch and carefully matched clutch springs for light feel at the lever.
– Durable five-speed close-ratio transmission.
– Fourth-generation Twin-Spar Aluminum Frame with forged-aluminum steering head (see Technology Section)
– HPSD features a compact damper attached to the lower triple clamp and the steering head to allow more aggressive steering characteristics and assist straight-line handling. Damping action smoothly progresses as handlebar deflection increases, which produces very natural steering characteristics and feel.
– Front and rear wheels feature HRC works-type lightweight aluminum spoke nipples.
– Front wheel features large-diameter front axle and wide wheel-bearing span for excellent rigidity.
– Large 25mm rear axle diameter and large-diameter bearings provide significant rigidity to withstand torturous track conditions.
– Revised, sophisticated Inverted Twin-Chamber Cartridge Fork (see Technology Section).
– Pro-Link® Rear Suspension with new damper settings (see Technology Section).
– Large 50mm rear shock damper piston diameter for consistent performance under demanding riding conditions.
– Link-type front brake master cylinder and a lightweight brake rotor provide strong braking.
– Compact twin-piston front brake caliper, anodized-aluminum brake pistons and lightweight front brake disc minimize unsprung weight for improved turning and handling.
– HRC works-type rear brake system integrates the rear master-cylinder and fluid reservoir, eliminating the separate reservoir and hose.
– Large works-style 240mm front and rear brake discs.
– Frame design allows airbox sidecovers to have larger intake ducts, contributing to significant airflow in the mid- and upper-rpm ranges.
– Rider ergonomics are optimized by adapting the handlebar, seat and footpeg height to place the rider’s legs at the narrowest frame width for improved comfort and handling.
– Dunlop 742FA front and 756 rear tires for improved traction and cornering.
– Front disc brake cover helps protect rotor and caliper from damage.
– Removable rear subframe allows easy maintenance.
– Washable, two-stage foam air filter for optimal engine protection and easy maintenance.
– Comfortable, durable controls and high-quality fasteners.
– Stainless steel clutch cable for long life.
– Honda Racing™-inspired colors and graphics.
– Cleated rear brake pedal and folding shift lever are made of lightweight aluminum and are designed to complement the riding position.
– Brake pedal features optimized ratio to match integrated rear-brake master-cylinder design.
– Wide, cleated, stainless steel footpegs are self-cleaning, resist corrosion, provide excellent grip and fold for extra ground clearance.
– Aluminum Renthal handlebar (971 bend) is rubber-mounted to help reduce rider fatigue and improve comfort.
– Purchase of a new, previously unregistered Honda USA-certified unit by an individual retail user in the United States qualifies the owner for a one-year complimentary membership in the Honda Rider’s Club of America® (HRCA®). Visit www.hrca.honda.com for details.
Model: 2008 CRF250R
Engine Type: 249cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
Bore and Stroke: 78mm x 52.2mm
Compression Ratio: 13.1:1
Valve Train: Unicam, four-valve; 31mm intake, titanium; 26mm exhaust, steel
Induction: Carburetor, Keihin 40mm flat-slide with throttle position sensor (TPS)
Ignition: CD with electronic advance
Transmission: Close-ratio five-speed
Final Drive: #520 chain; 13T/51T
Front: 47mm inverted Showa cartridge fork with 16-position rebound and 16-position compression damping adjustability; 12.4 inches travel
Rear: Pro-Link Showa single shock with spring preload, 17-position rebound damping adjustability, and compression damping adjustment separated into low-speed (13 positions) and high-speed (3.5 turns); 12.4 inches travel
Front: Single 240mm disc with twin-piston caliper
Rear: Single 240mm disc
Wheelbase: 58.2 inches
Rake (Caster Angle): 27.9
Trail: 125mm (4.9 inches)
Seat Height: 38 inches
Ground Clearance: 14.2 inches
Fuel Capacity: 1.9 gallons
Colors: Red, Black (2008 special color†)
Curb Weight*: 227 pounds
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel-ready to ride
†Limited color run, less than 500
Consult owner’s manual for optional racing parts.
MSRP: $8,059 CDN
Engine Type Liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
Displacement 249 cc
Bore & Stroke 78 mm x 52.2 mm
Compression Ratio 13:1
Valve Train Unicam, four-valve
Fuel Delivery Keihin 40 mm flat-slide carb with TPS
Transmission Close-ratio five-speed
Final Drive #520 chain; 13T/51T
Front Suspension 47 mm inverted Showa cartridge fork with 16-position rebound and 16-position compression damping adjustability; 315 mm (12.4 inches) travel
Rear Suspension Pro-Link Showa single shock with spring preload, 17-position rebound damping adjustability, and compression damping adjustability separated into low-speed (13 positions) and high-speed (3.5 turns); 315 mm (12.4 inches) travel
Tires 80/100 – 21 front; 100/90 – 19 rear
Brakes Front 240 mm disc with twin-piston caliper; rear 240 mm disc
Ground Clearance 361 mm (14.2 inches)
Seat Height 965 mm (38 inches)
Wheelbase 1,478 mm (58.2 inches)
Dry Weight 103 kg (227 pounds) including required fluids and full tank of gas – ready to ride
Fuel Capacity 7.6 litres
Colour Extreme Red
Specifications and features are subject to change